Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts
Default Wicked cool old bottles unearthed....

Pictured are a bunch of old bottles unearthed at an undisclosed location on Bear Island. It's interesting that the location these were found appears to be a fairly large bottle/jar dump as these are just a few of what I'm sure are many that are buried in this location. Hard to say just how old these are, but there is ample evidence that some of these are fairly old maybe 1950s or so? Many show bubbles in the glass, most are very thick and heavy, many are unusual shapes (as pictured) and one in particular is from a bottling company that once existed in Laconia so we're trying to date that one to get an idea of age of all these since it's likely they were all dumped at the same time. I highly doubt they are worth anything but it's really fun to dig them up never know what you're going to find. Figured I'd share... pretty cool to find so many still intact and in beautiful shape. By far the most interesting one is in the first picture on the bottom, the bottle was found with a plastic sleeve it fits into. Have no idea what it could be.
Attached Images

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Briangie

Looks like you found an old dump. Where I grew up in Massachusetts, every old house had a dump in the woods behind it. Many were filled with mostly bottles, because the residents who lived there burned the trash first in a barrel then dumped what was left in the woods behind their house.

I had a lot of fun when I was younger digging up old bottles. Found a lot of milk bottles, whiskey flasks, ketchup bottles and the like. Also, some rotted tin cans. Behind some of the older houses I found blob top whiskey flasks and soda bottles from the early 1900' s and late 1800's.

Looks like you have some old food jars, some soda bottles and whiskey type bottles. There is a lot of info on the old bottles on the internet.

My best find was a Saratoga Springs mineral water bottle. It is worth about 250 dollars.

One word of caution, I got a bad cut one time reaching in to pry up a bottle that was stuck. I couldn't see the crack in the side and ouch, needed stitches.
Briangie is offline   Reply With Quote