Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
TheProfessor

Default Another Garmin Glitch

Garmin uses Navteq maps.

Going to Meredith and points beyond.
Heading north from south on Route 93.
At Exit 23.
Garmin states to exit right onto Route 132. Then once on Route 132 - continue 8.1 miles (or thereabouts). No mention of Route 104.
Looking at map - for a small distance on both sides of Route 93 - both Route 132 and Route 104 share same.

A helpful hint for those who advise visitors to use their Garmin to get to this part of the Lakes Region.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Contact Garmin, but not an uncommon occurence

That happens a lot with multiple routes or street names. Case in point is just south of the Lakes Region, taking the Chichester cutoff, Main St in Chichester to get into Concord.

At the south end of Main St, it intersects with Dover Rd, er Rte 202, er Rte 4 er Rte 9.

Seems like it wouldn't be a problem if you are navigating using the GPS..it will tell you to get off at exit 23..then turn right on xxx.

Gone that way a lot, just not sure what my Garmin Streetpilot says at that exit...I will try to see next time we head up north.

You can contact Garmin and advise them of the problem or the suggestion to use the more identifiable rte (104). Good luck either way.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
TheProfessor

We all know how to get here.
It's that long lost relative coming for an unannounced visit relying on the Garmin that may have an issue or that new tourist - that may get confused.

The two streets that get to my residence were spelled and pronounced incorrectly - I contacted both Garmin/Navteq and Tele Atlas/TomTom. It took about 2 years for both of them to finally correct all.

Apparently they used some real old maps when coming up with the spelling and such.

I have notified Garmin about Exit 23. I'll see how long it takes to correct such.

My new Garmin has lifetime map upgrades. I got the last Garmin model that states "recalculating". Apparently, the majority of folks didn't like hearing this - so Garmin did away with the verbal "recalculating".

I drive 2,500 - 2,800 miles one way each year across country and Garmin does a good job. I try to take a different route each time - just to see more of this great country. Not perfect by any means. One time I was sent on a dirt road for about a mile in north/central New Mexico. Did get to where I was going - but the dirt road section was a tad nerve racking.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

AT least you didn't keep going on that dirt road forever and ever! Have you hear the stories about people that follow the GPS directions no matter what? Then they are lost for 2 or 3 days in the woods somewhere. How stupid is that? I mean where is common sense???
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Navteq

Report map errors here:
http://allthingsnav.navigation.com/p...igation-center

It may take a year or so for the change to happen.