Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
Airwaves

Default Gasoline thefts

Unfortunately it's coming down to this.

Everyone in our Condo group got an email warning of gasoline thefts on boats left on the docks during the week.

There was a story today in the Lawrence paper about Post Office trucks in Atkinson NH being drained of gasoline as well.

As the price of gasoline increases you will probably see more of this, keep an eye on your boat.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
Ropetow

Angry

Thanks for the warning, Airwaves. Back during the Carter Administration there was a run on locking gas caps. Hope we haven't gone back to those days. Also hope the thieves aren't using garden hoses, or the local ERs will have a slew of new customers.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Mee-n-Mac

Wink Got gas ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetow View Post
Thanks for the warning, Airwaves. Back during the Carter Administration there was a run on locking gas caps. Hope we haven't gone back to those days. Also hope the thieves aren't using garden hoses, or the local ERs will have a slew of new customers.
I wonder if we'll see the kind of fake out of gas scammers that popped up in LA last time gas prices got high ? I think I'm checking the gas guage of anyone I rescue on the lake who says he's out of gas but happens to have a siphon hose handy ....

As for those who inhaled a bit too much and end up in the ER ... I'd offer them a lit cigarette to ease their pain.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
RI Swamp Yankee

You could always reverse the lables on your MSD and fuel fittings.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
Chris Craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
You could always reverse the lables on your MSD and fuel fittings.
Probably get you some legal issues no doubt.
Chris Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
SIKSUKR

Default Not a boat but...

OK,I spend the afternoon on the lake Sunday and pull out the PWC at Glendale around 6:00.On my way to Manchester,I notice that my fuel is almost empty after just having 1/2 a tank.Yep,I got hit in the Glendale parking lot.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:19 AM   #7
jayp603

Default uuugh

lost a full tank at 5am in weirs beach last summer. thats like 5 cans worth!
jayp603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #8
Ken B

We went up to tha lake last Saturday and low and behold the boat tank was on empty when I started it up. Someone syphoned it all out while the boat sat in my driveway! They must have come back at least 5 times! Time to get a locking gas cap! Any one know who stocks them?
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Two people on Winter Harbor got drained last Sat. night. I think this is an epidemic. I wonder if lighted docks help.???
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:29 PM   #10
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Lights, camera, action

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Two people on Winter Harbor got drained last Sat. night. I think this is an epidemic. I wonder if lighted docks help.???
Probably, if you put the lights on a motion sensor. Then I'd have a speaker come on a few seconds latter playing the sound of a pump action shotgun being racked ... but that's just me. Might be nice to hitch up a webcam too, might just catch something identifiable on the perps.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:43 AM   #11
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Good idea! Lights and a shotgun! LOL! A camera of some sort has been discussed. Apparently a paddle boat was stolen too and found down by the Libby Museum. I am wondering if the two are connected. It wasn't our gas by the way.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #12
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
.....A camera of some sort has been discussed........
Does anyone know for sure the laws involving video recording your property, or docks, also if your camera shot also goes off your property. For example, I video my dock and the shot shows the boats and a little of the public waterway around them.

There is a disturbing story http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/...WS01/106290121
where a citizen's camera caught police harassing him and when he took the tape to the police station to show what happened, was jailed on felony charges ... hmmm

I don't want to turn this thread into a political debate, just wanted to point out possible hazards of taping and also to find out if anyone has any substantive info on its legalities.

In looking thru the RSAs referenced in the article, it seems to me the only thing that is against the law is the audio portion of recording, not (YET) the video portion. Anyone with experiences, info?
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #13
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Time for some fine tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Does anyone know for sure the laws involving video recording your property, or docks, also if your camera shot also goes off your property. For example, I video my dock and the shot shows the boats and a little of the public waterway around them.

There is a disturbing story http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/...WS01/106290121
where a citizen's camera caught police harassing him and when he took the tape to the police station to show what happened, was jailed on felony charges ... hmmm

I don't want to turn this thread into a political debate, just wanted to point out possible hazards of taping and also to find out if anyone has any substantive info on its legalities.

In looking thru the RSAs referenced in the article, it seems to me the only thing that is against the law is the audio portion of recording, not (YET) the video portion. Anyone with experiences, info?

I can understand where the law comes from but in this case I have to wonder. First there were signs in place so my guess is a good attorney would make a case for informed consent. Secondly I wonder how the news crews are able to do what they do if the audio portion is deemed unlawful. I'm willing to bet they don't get signed permission from the people who say "Get that camera out of my face".
Old 07-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #14
Mr. V

I suspect that the issue is more the recording of the audio than the video.

Were there no audio, I bet there would be no charge.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #15
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Given that I work for a security camera/analytics startup, I have a bit of experience in this area

The short version is that you are free to record to video, or photograph, anything that occurs in public/plain sight. You cannot record audio without the other parties consent (there are exceptions to this, but for purposes here this will suffice).

So your dock cam can view or record anything that you as a human could see visually standing on your dock.

One of the unique things about my product is that the recording capability (up to a month or more) is built into the camera itself. So it is a self-contained camera and recorder. If anyone is having frequent problems with theft or vandalism, PM me and I may be able to loan you a demo unit for a couple of weeks.
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote