Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2018, 08:50 AM   #1
CaptT820

Default House Classification

Does anyone know the nuances of new house construction classification?

I ask this question because I am trying to determine when designing our new camp whether or not I should add on to the existing cabin or build an entirely separate new structure.

For tax purposes would it save money by adding on to existing, or build new, or does it not even matter? In our case setbacks and grandfathering do not matter as we are and will be beyond the 50-ft shoreland buffer regardless of what we build.

As of right now we are planning on connecting the existing cabin with a deck to the new structure, but if we have to add a roof over the deck or a room in between them to consider it an addition we certainly could modify things.

I just didn't know if anyone had experience with this. The tax code definitions are almost useless when it comes to this situation, as it seems like they treat every house differently.

Thanks
CaptT820 is offline   Reply With Quote