Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #1
Justmee

Default Advice on what works setting fence posts

Hi everyone, would greatly appreciate specific experiences regarding fence post setting. I am from Midwest where a standard procedure is to put the posts on a bed of pea gravel and pour concrete just below the top soil level.
The fence company advises to not use concrete as it will be pushed out by frost. Advice appreciated, thanks!
Justmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:56 PM   #2
8gv

Are you asking about wood or metal posts?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:15 PM   #3
welch-time

I'd use stone dust or fine crushed stone. That way the posts can be easily replaced. And it drains well preventing rot or rust.
Concrete is forever. You'd have some work on your hands If you ever had to replace a post.
welch-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:59 AM   #4
djwade4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justmee View Post
Hi everyone, would greatly appreciate specific experiences regarding fence post setting. I am from Midwest where a standard procedure is to put the posts on a bed of pea gravel and pour concrete just below the top soil level.

The fence company advises to not use concrete as it will be pushed out by frost. Advice appreciated, thanks!
I’m a contractor and I have used ledge pac depending what type and size your fence is and the condition of ground and weather conditions. Doug wade 603-770 -3677 feel free to call

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
djwade4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

My cedar post and rail fence lasted about 25 years before rot made it necessary to replace. No concrete, but stone for drainage. The sections that go into the woods are just 5' metal stakes driven into the ground and wire mesh attached. Plastic coated, still in good shape. Posts that hold heavy gates need extyra depth and or larger stone. Otherwise the weight of the gate will move the post over time and you'll have to reset. I had the work done by a local fencing company. I have one gate that follows a slope, so they custom built the gate to match. Way beyond the ability of a one man crew.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links