Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #1
JasonG

Default Living on an Island - Worth it? The Unknowns, Cost Effective?

Hello! Mabye I am misreading something, but it looks like living on an island on Winni cost less than the main land. By this I mean the purchase price of the home & land. The obvious drawbacks that I can see are transport to the mainland, having a place to park the car, boat slip, etc. Of course, it is seasonal as wekk.

Aside these, am I missing something? Are the challenges above difficult to deal with for any reason? perhaps guests, company, etc. Is it less to live there? Are utilities limited/cost more?

Thanks!
Jason
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
Bear Islander

Jason

I love living on an island, it's private and secluded, I have great neighbors. Property values are a little less, but you probably need a boat slip. Some services are hard to get on the islands.

The larger islands have phone and electricity at the same rates. However if your phone goes dead in April, it will not be fixed till Verizon puts its boat in the water around June 1. You probably will not have cable or DSL.

Your property is almost useless several months of the year.

You do have some great conversations like "yes, it really is an island.... no, no bridges.... no ferry either.... no, no stores, roads or cars..... by boat, only by boat..."
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:51 AM   #3
snowbird

Default Island living

Our island property faces Bear Islander and I would second his thoughts. Water frontage values on the mainland run 2, 3, even 5 times higher than island frontage. Thus, an island property, no building on it, might fetch $300,000 for 200' of waterfront. Half that much waterfront on the mainland would be worth two, three, even five times as much per front foot. If already developed the value for mainland property might be 10 times higher.

There are good reasons for this, aside from supply and demand. Island living requires adapting to a lifestyle very different than the norm. Can't just jump in the car for anything you might want or need at the moment. Takes planning----and a slip on the mainland to go to. Which adds another cost to the lot value.

Damages to our dock this season require costs and attention that might well be ignored, or at least delayed, if our home were on the mainland. Out here our boat is our lifeline, a necessity rather than a luxury.

We'd love to spend Thanksgivings, Christmases, Easters out here with our families, since this is our family gathering place these past 50+ years. Not impossible, maybe, but almost so. Obviously, we must have a winter place somewhere else for at least half the year.

We love it.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
Orion

Default tried both

I've rented mainland waterfront properties for several years and now have an island property. I prefer island for it's peace and quiet and the ability to totally get away from it all. Every trip to the island involves a boat ride and I see that as a plus. Aside from the lack of access for a few months (unless you have a hovercraft), it's usable in winter (if prepared) as well as summer. Seems like you develop closer friendships with neighbors. Also, we've found that, at least where we are, there are no black flies and mosquitos are relatively non-existent, except for a few weeks in spring and a half hour around sunset. As others have stated, you do neee to secure mainland boat access. Cheapest way is via rack ownership or rental and docks are getting very expensive and hard to find. You'll also need a "practical" boat that can carry "stuff" and people.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
escaped from NJ

Default Island Living....just do it.

After 20 years of working like a dog and saving every cent we could so that we could buy a property on water, we finally bought on an island last year. I have never been happier....who says material things don't buy happiness!!!

Seriously, it is the beauty, quiet and privacy that I love most. (You have no backyard neighbors on an island.) The view still takes my breath away every morning (It is not just an expression. I really do have to catch my breath every morning.) and the views as the weather/sky changes throughout the day are phenominal. The only negative is that living on an island requires some planning and discipline, primarily around food.

We debated a long time whether it was worth it to have the view/property on an island that we could only use 6 months of the year or have 1/2 the cottage on the mainland and still only use it ocassionally in the winter, given how far away we live from the lake. After giving that a lot of thought, we realized that would mean either keeping the heat on all winter to prevent freezing when we weren't there or winterizing it and not having water if we came up in the winter. So, we bet on an island property and now I realize it was the best decision I ever made. Also, we were going to hike out to the island this past winter but as luck has it, for the first time in a gazillion years, there never was enough ice to make me comfortable with that idea. When we closed last winter, I thought I was so clever and left all these little bottles of water so we wouldn't have to carry much water with us across the ice. When we got home and were unpacking, there, in the trunk of the car, were all my little water bottles. So, I learned that communicating the "plan" with my husband, would have been a good thing.

I echo some of the earlier posts...the flies and mosquitos are almost non existent and it is amazing that people really can't easily grasp the concept that you really live on an island. I bet I have said, "Really, only by boat." about 50 times. We love having quests come...the adventure of picking them up on the mainland and driving up to the cottage by boat is so cool!

I guess one recommendation I'd make is that having a washer/dryer has really saved having to transport "wash" back and forth on the boat which might get old eventually. As it is, everytime we come up, we only bring a few clothes and food, so loading/unloading the boat is nothing.

If we decide to go out to eat, because we are new to boating, we don't drive at night yet so that forces us to go out to eat early. At first I didn't like that but now that I am getting the hang of island living, I realize that the best views and times are at sunrise so we quickly change our sleeping patterns and get up at sunrise, take nice long naps and go to bed early. Also, we can get into any restaurant we want by going early.

Hope my perspective was helpful.
escaped from NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2006, 07:26 PM   #6
Proline

Default Can you hack it

We looked into this extensively and did not go through with it. Could I do it, yes. Could my wife and kids do it, ?????. Not wotrh the gamble to me. As others mentioned, the peace, tranquilty and cost of buying is less. In my opinion, one thing you HAVE to have is a slip on mainland. Skip the rack etc. Pain in the butt. Gotta have a slip. The second most important thing is location. Islands such as Little Bear, Cow, Whortleberry are great. Quick jump to the mainland and convenient to 19 Mile Bay store. More importantly, less bad water to cross in storms. Rattlesnake in the middle of the Broads with 15- 25 mph NorthWest wind blowingup 5 footers for 5 days in row, I'll pass.

What about when you need work done that you can't do? Costs more to get someone out there unless you have a handy neighbor. How much to pump the septic? How much is home owners insurance? You gonna lug that 2 cords of firewood out there every spring? Do you/spouse like boating at night in the dark? Weekend arrival times could lead to that. How about a Sat/Sun soaking rain. You decide to leave and it is still pouring, 3 foot chop on lake out of the East, temp is 48 wind chill 30 and 20 minutes to mainland. You and the wife are soaked from loading the bags and weekend trash in the boat. Get to mainland and have to unload and drive home soaked and cold for 1 or 2 hours. Flip it around. Arrive at the cabin 10pm Friday night and unpack the cooler. Woops forgot all the meat back at home. Darn, thats a 2 or 3 hour project Saturday getting back to land, to the store and back to camp. What if you had planned on fishing then or the kids skiing and tubing! Not trying to be negative but like I said it is a matter of what you and others can hack. Takes a special person to pull it off.
Proline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:42 PM   #7
Island Life

Default Pros and Cons

Jason,

I have to agree with the last writer, it takes a certain personality to live on an island. I've done it all my life (as has every other member of my exended family) and I wouldn't want it any other way. It's peaceful and free of many on-shore distractions.

On the other hand, island living can be tough. Schlepping everything from your car to your boat to your cottage can be fine if done occassionally and in good weather but gets old when done frequently, or in the rain and wind, or in the dark. Also, anytime you run to shore on an errand it takes twice as long as you thought it would. Figure in the boat ride to and from shore (made much longer if you have to go through a significant no-wake zone), stopping to get gas when necessary, tying up, putting the cover on the boat if it might start raining while you're at the store, and then putting all those grocery bags in your boat. Phew! Then imagine the stress you feel if you're at the store and it starts to rain - but you didn't put the cover on. Fortunately Hannifords only uses plastic grocery bags because those bags are going to get awfully wet going back over - as are you!

As I said, I love living on an island. But I wouldn't be able to do it if my kids didn't also love it and didn't happily put up with the difficulties.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:39 PM   #8
Coolbreeze

My family didn't have a choice. Island living was the only affordable way to be on the lake. My family started in 1972. It gave my father a reason to own a boat, more like 6 boats now, a snowmobile for winter trips-of coarse-and yes, it does take a special breed to vacation on an island. Your boat is your car, planning trips is essential but seems to get easier each year with experience. You must be mechanically inclined, or wealthy to afford hired help from the towns. I rarely remember a summer vacation where there wasn't a project for my dad to do. As we got older, we all pitched in and it developed a true appreciation to island living. Yeah we are overly protective of what we have, and don't appreciate people tieing up to our docks to pee in the woods etc and are reluctant to newcomers because of the threat that they are noisy. I remember a fire on the island that was pretty bad, a renter threw hot charcoals from a grill in the peat moss like soil, they left at the end of their time. The wind kicked up at night and well... so did a fire. All the residents of the island formed a bucket brigade from the lake to the fire and kept it in control until the big water arrived from Alton and Wolfeboro fire departments. What a wild ride it has been. To conclude, someone mentioned storms from nowhere blowing up on the lake! Wow it can get wild out there, but we survived and are better experienced because of it. My suggestion prior to buying is to rent. Consider it a test drive.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
Cow Man

Default Reasons to have a camp on an island.

1. No one can find you unless you want them to! Shut off the cell phone, kill the email and get your real life back.
2. Improvising is fun! Sure you can’t run to the hardware store at your convenience, but is there anything duct tape and ingenuity can’t fix?
3. Improves planning skills – stave off the onset of Alzheimer’s by solving the puzzles of what you projects you have and what you will need to accomplish them next week, next month, next year.
4. Romance blooms when you’re not distracted! (Why didn’t I put that first?)
5. Food tastes better on an island, I’m not sure why.
6. Great neighbors! There is a “detached interdependence” that bonds island dwellers. I have rarely had a request for help turned down by a neighbor (or any island dweller) and never turned down a request. Everyone knows they may have to be rescued someday and don’t want to be on anyone’s bad side. Plus birds of a feather…
7. Yes you need a boat and a slip, but if you don’t like boats what are you doing on a lake?
8. The night time trips are awesome, the planetarium sky, the chill in the air and the dead calm water make for a really unique voyage. Top it off with a hot tub and glass of cabernet.
9. Winter destination via skis, snowmobile, hovercraft, air boat or nice walk.
10. Hey, it’s your island, go nautical, tiki, Victorian, or what have you. It will be as unique as you are; your own personal Disneyland!
11. Deer, fox, humungous raccoons, loons, blue heron, owls, fish, otters, beaver, and other critters including a turtle named snappy.
12. Your dog or your toddler doesn’t need a leash, assuming he or she is well behaved. No cars.
13. Your land locked friends will think you’re out of your mind but beg you to let them visit and stay until you have to toss them out.
14. God lives on the islands.

Cow Man has a 12x12 log cabin with few amenities, by choice, and thought of these in roughly 10 seconds. He also runs his business via cell phone and satellite Internet connection from his hot tub, full time (mostly) from May – September.
Cow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:25 AM   #10
wehatetoquitit

Default Reasons to have a camp on an Island

Hurray Cow Man:

Here are some more:

Listining to old radio programs on CD (Boston Blackie, Jack Benny,the Whistler) no TV

Luis Prima, the Andrew Sisters, Benny Goodman

Dancing on the deck by moonlight

Cocktail parties and Supper with neighbors---every night, or at least when you want to.

Reading time

Pondering time.
wehatetoquitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:44 PM   #11
hazelnut

Default Ahhhhhhhh Yes

The revival of this thread has made me jones for the island!!!! I miss my neighbors and my retreat. I can not wait for the big thaw. Good lists by the way! Here are some more:

The sound of the Loons while you sit by the fire
Boat rides after a big rain when NOBODY is on the lake
Ice Cream trips to Pier 19 by Boat.
Kayaking around the Island in the morning
Knowing you always cap off your weekend with a boat ride.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:07 PM   #12
Electric man

Default Island living

Island living sounds like it has it's limitations, but it sounds great to me.
How many people really live on and island all year round?
Electric man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:10 AM   #13
Blue Thunder

Default What a great thread..

Although my situation is a bit different than most of you posting here (we have a ferry) Island life is the only way to go. There are no street lights, no pavement, you can't see your hand in front of your face at night, the stars are brighter, the sunsets more spectacular, and on and on. Amazingly, as others have said, the mosquitos and black flies are almost non existent. I can sit on the deck or dock for hours on end and do absolutely nothing but watch the world go by. There is truly nothing like Island Life.

Blue Thunder
Old 03-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #14
RLW

Thumbs up Island/Main land living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder
Island life is the only way to go. There are no street lights, no pavement, you can't see your hand in front of your face at night, the stars are brighter, the sunsets more spectacular, and on and on. Amazingly, as others have said, the mosquitos and black flies are almost non existent. I can sit on the deck or dock for hours on end and do absolutely nothing but watch the world go by. There is truly nothing like Island Life.
Blue Thunder
I have read this site each night and I'm a main lander and I have everything you all have mentioned living on the islands. I live on a town road, but do not hear or see a car as I live way in the woods away from it, but enjoy the water and sitting on the pier looking at the stars. When I need fire wood all I need to do is pick up the phone and it is delivered without waiting for certain time of the year, when I need the septic tank pumped, again it is just a phone call away and they're pumping within an hour. A big thing also is, when unexpected company comes it is alot easier to get to the store and get what is needed to fill their tummy's, it being liquid and/or solid. I hate to say it, but I think I have the best of the 2 worlds.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:12 PM   #15
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW
I have read this site each night and I'm a main lander and I have everything you all have mentioned living on the islands. I live on a town road, but do not hear or see a car as I live way in the woods away from it, but enjoy the water and sitting on the pier looking at the stars. When I need fire wood all I need to do is pick up the phone and it is delivered without waiting for certain time of the year, when I need the septic tank pumped, again it is just a phone call away and they're pumping within an hour. A big thing also is, when unexpected company comes it is alot easier to get to the store and get what is needed to fill their tummy's, it being liquid and/or solid. I hate to say it, but I think I have the best of the 2 worlds.
It sounds like you have it pretty good, RLW. Still, I wouldn't trade my island life.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:42 PM   #16
Parker Island Fun

Default its far better to be on an island in my opinon

we love our island! we have only had one summer under our belt so far its great. all the draw backs listed above are true but the positives are too long to list. the cost per dollar per visit is fine but its not a money saver in my opinion. time seems to fly by and there is never enough time to really explore and veg out maybe over time we will adjust. so far its been great.
Parker Island Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:40 PM   #17
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW
A big thing also is, when unexpected company comes it is alot easier to get to the store and get what is needed to fill their tummy's, it being liquid and/or solid. .
On an island, you don't have unexpected company.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:48 AM   #18
TomC

Default sure they do..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW
I drop by my brother's place on Little Bear all the time...!
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:06 AM   #19
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
No comment.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #20
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
Yes he does - I can attest to that! (From someone who knows...)
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #21
RLW

Thumbs up Island living

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW
Now you are missing something. I myself just love to have unexpected company of friends and yes even relatives. (And I do not have to go get them or take them back) I love to watch all of them enjoying the swimming, water skiing and all the other things that go along with owning a wonderful home on the lake side. The really best part is when they drive in unexpectedly and bring the liquid refreshments and we all sit on the pier and start happy hour at 3 and the kids are having a ball for themselves.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:25 PM   #22
Pineedles

Default Islander Question

I know those of you who live on islands don't have a car there but what's in your backyard? Have you established footpaths to other island residents? Is there a central gathering point in the middle of the island? Just curious.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #23
Island Girl

Default woods

My backyard is all wooded.. If I climb up the hill there is a construction path that can be used to get to neighbors... walking across neighbors yards is another way to get around... I mostly visit by jetski.

Of course in our backyards there is a variety of wildlife to watch..

I love the solitude, the quiet, the noise, the peace, the seasons, and being around others who feel the same way.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #24
hazelnut

Default Gatherings

On the Islands we gather just about every weekend. Someone hosts a happy hour or a card game at least once or twice a weekend. Don't even get me started about the Cow Belle pontoon boat adventures. If you ever see a group of loud crazy tone def singers cruising around cow on a pontoon boat that is painted to look like a cow just block your ears and we will be gone. I like drop ins but our drop ins have boats. A much better brand of drop in customer. Nothing beats Island life, I did both. I grew up on the mainland on waterfront. My parents sold it and I bought an Island home. Best decision I've ever made!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #25
RLW

Thumbs up Island living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
My backyard is all wooded.. If I climb up the hill there is a construction path that can be used to get to neighbors... walking across neighbors yards is another way to get around... I mostly visit by jet ski.
Of course in our backyards there is a variety of wildlife to watch..
I love the solitude, the quiet, the noise, the peace, the seasons, and being around others who feel the same way.
IG
That all sounds fantastic and I'm sure it's all that you say it is. My concern is the extra big bucks it costs to have daily chores done on an island. (new furniture del., septic pumped, new carpet/tile laid a bottle of milk and/or coffee because someone forgot to bring it) The problem of looking for a way to get to your place off season when needed. When I come to my home I don't want to feel that I have to be at a neighbors to play cards or or anything else as it is what we always do. I come to do my own thing which includes solitude, very little noise and peace. There hasn't been one thing mentioned that some of us have on the main land such as mountains to climb within a 5 minute walk, state and private snowmobile trails within 4 minute ride from the yard, excellent walking area and no problem with unleashed pets and oh ya woods in my back yard to walk through. I guess what I'm trying to say is, both life styles are great and if you are in for some small inconviences then seasonal island living is fantastic.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #26
Formula260SS

I say it depends on what you are looking for, after spending the last 10 years with friends at their places we decided to build ourselves on an island. To me it's what being on the lake is about, in a cottage that's nothing like my home enjoying the privacy and spending time with family and friends. If your looking for the comforts of home then it's not going to work. I don't think anyone can argue that it isn't cheaper, cost is less and taxes are less. It is more work for sure but for me that's part of the adventure.

Just my .02 cents
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:37 AM   #27
Pineedles

Default Neighbors

It sounds as if people who live on islands have a closer relationship with their neighbors. I would imagine that borrowing that cup of sugar or 1/2 dozen eggs goes on alot more among island folk, hence better relationships.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #28
Cow Man

Default Island answers & observations

How many live fulltime on the islands – All of us, we just happen to physically be somewhere else several months during the year.

Seriously, I know of only one soul on Cow that truly lives there fulltime. You would need to be physically fit, self reliant and own specialized equipment to survive the times when ice isn’t safe, the power is out and the food runs low. That said, I generally pack up in October – November and am back as soon as ice is out so you can fairly easily access the property seven months by boat and another two months between January and March by ski, snowmobile or other contraption.

It is odd that fifty degrees is much warmer in March than in October and everybody wants to help open camp but few are around to close it.

Yes there are paths around the islands, usually at the waterfront, well worn by generations of folks exploring what lies beyond the next bend. Some have golf cart traffic, most are for scrambling. I find a kayak works fine for visiting neighbors.

The interior is town owned and there is no fixed gathering place but lots of unspoiled forest and artifacts from days gone by.

No, we are not crazy, we just like to paint our boats like cows, dance on our docks to Sinatra tunes, and perhaps go for a midnight swim naked; perfectly sane.
Cow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:42 PM   #29
Mee-n-Mac

Wink So no mooing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow Man
No, we are not crazy, we just like to paint our boats like cows, dance on our docks to Sinatra tunes, and perhaps go for a midnight swim naked; perfectly sane.

Sounds like we should have the next Forum Fest at Cow I.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #30
JerseyGirl

Smile Islands in Summer

We have had the pleasure of having a family friend who opened first their rental home and then their owned home to us each year for a week on the island. This has been going on for over 30 years. We arrived as "dating", then "married", then "married with children". Usually it was in the summer, but occasionally we spent a long autum weekend. It is my husbands and my dream that if we could EVER afford to own - even a 2 room cabin - on the lake we will. Of course, after 3 kids, we are still waiting for that day! As we get older we feel the mainland may be our best, and safer bet. But I must say, I would miss the peace and specialness of island life. It is true that all of the above inconveniences are there - but it is also true that with proper planning it can be done. We have had as many as 16 mouths to feed for a week and have done it with careful planning and only a couple of runs to the store. It is also true that there are special costs and repairs. All of our children have bonded with the lake. And every single one of their friends that have come with us has done so also. There is only one station on the TV so there is plenty of time for books and board/card games, conversation and creative activities (ones that need some thinking and usually are outside!). We recharge our batteries and recharge our families. We catch up and slow down. And some of our funniest memories are those that are "inconveniences" - like getting soaked in the boat and chasing a bat in the house! But what can be grander than watching the meteor showers laying head to toe all the way down the dock? This is a sacred place to us. The kids are grown now and each still save some time for the lake each year. It's magical.
JerseyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #31
Parker Island Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles
I know those of you who live on islands don't have a car there but what's in your backyard? Have you established footpaths to other island residents? Is there a central gathering point in the middle of the island? Just curious.
we have a path to the other home on the island and we get together often. but the silence, the noise, the loons, and friendly boaters, etc all make life anything but boring.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:19 AM   #32
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
Sounds like we should have the next Forum Fest at Cow I.

Mad-Cow-Island-Disease?

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #33
Orion

Default Island life is true Lake bonding

If you love being at the Lake, and like boating, then you get immersed in both every weekend you go up. There's a lot of talk about inconveniences, but I don't really see it. The only difference is an extra transfer of groceries from your car to your boat (not even that if you shop by boat!). If you forget something on the mainland, you still need to go to the store to get it...on an island, it just means another boat ride!

Of course, a lot depends on where your island is relative to conveniences and calm-water travel. There are some island locations where you can get locked out by bad weather and other's where that is never the case.

You also need to consider mainland access so you need to own or rent a dock or rack on mainland. From what I've seen, any added costs for services are more than offset by higher mainland waterfront taxes and I haven't really seen any huge disparity in service costs. The extra quiet without motor vehicles, the friendships and neighborlyness of other islanders, fewer bugs, less access for riffraff, all makes it worth it to me.

Being away from it during the winter makes the desire to be there in the Spring all that much stronger. I wouldn't trade island life for anything.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #34
Pineedles

Default PIF and all

Island living doesn't seem to be that markedly different than mainland living. Appreciation for the wildlife, people nearby who think like you do (that it's all beautiful), a place to regenerate, etc, etc,.... I think the only difference is that it takes a more adventurous soul. My hat is off to you islanders! (it is a Red Sox hat)

Once your there though, I bet you occasionally wish for that ability for a quick trip to the greenfront!
Old 04-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #35
Parker Island Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles

Once your there though, I bet you occasionally wish for that ability for a quick trip to the greenfront!
you'd be surprised! having to go for a boat ride even in the rough weather is half the fun. and makes for great stories
Old 04-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #36
Orion

Default It's true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Island Fun
you'd be surprised! having to go for a boat ride even in the rough weather is half the fun. and makes for great stories
I love the challenge....just need to plan for and be prepared for it. One day had to get mainland to commute to work so it was early in the morning. Fog so thick you couldn't see 10' in front of the boat. GPS and compass and slow speed got me the 2.5 miles to the mainland dock, but it was an adventure!

Another time got to the Lake Friday night and saw some approaching dark clouds. We figured we'd be able to get to the island before they hit so we quickly loaded up the boat and headed out. Problem was these were the severe squalls that came through in 2005 and wiped out a lot of trees. The squalls were traveling over 45 mph and creating strong gusts downbursts and water spouts and were overtaking us by the time we hit the open water. Had it full throttle out and into the cove with just enough time to wrap a few lines at each end of the dock and duck into the shelter of the house before many of the tree branches started falling. Whew! close call....too close.

But to offset all that, there's the usual peaceful sunset cruise on Sunday nights as we head to our home away from the Lake.......aaagh.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #37
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion

Another time got to the Lake Friday night and saw some approaching dark clouds. We figured we'd be able to get to the island before they hit so we quickly loaded up the boat and headed out. Problem was these were the severe squalls that came through in 2005 and wiped out a lot of trees. The squalls were traveling over 45 mph and creating strong gusts downbursts and water spouts and were overtaking us by the time we hit the open water. Had it full throttle out and into the cove with just enough time to wrap a few lines at each end of the dock and duck into the shelter of the house before many of the tree branches started falling. Whew! close call....too close.
Wow, Orion, can't believe you were out in that storm. I've never seen anything like that before. I've boated through many a rain storm but don't know if I could have handled that one. And it moved in so quickly, too. You got lucky.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:00 AM   #38
SIKSUKR

Ya,you should try doing that on a PWC.I got caught last year in one of those.Now that's scary!
Old 04-13-2007, 04:38 PM   #39
Winniislander

Default Island Life...

Actually, we find our island experiences priceless. We live rather close to the mainland and so inconvenience isn't a big factor. And any excuse for a boat ride is a good one. Fact is, we park the car when we arrive and rarely ever visit it before it is time to go back home. You can boat to almost every need there is (Winnipesaukee rules). When I read about life further out on the lake, I miss the days we were on Cow Island---all those inconveniences were indeed not only part of the charm, but also the most memorable.
Winniislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:19 PM   #40
dmjr

Wow, after reading all of these posts, it sounds like island life is an experience. Just gives me a goal to work that much harder to maybe an island propety owner someday soon!