Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
hancoveguy

Default Cable TV in Moultonborough

I know this has been talked about a million times before but....was just wondering if there is any new break thru's in cable tv/internet suppliers in Moultonborough because Time Warner is crap...

Thanks
HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
I know this has been talked about a million times before but....was just wondering if there is any new break thru's in cable tv/internet suppliers in Moultonborough because Time Warner is crap...

Thanks
HCG
No... but they have at least changed their interface so it looks like it is from the 20th century!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:

Thanks
HCG
What do you mean by a "breakthrough"? The town is under a 15 year contract that offers little hope for the loss of all Boston channels. There was a lengthy discussion last night with 2 TWC representatives at the BoS meeting. Apparently you were not there, so did you send in questions as was encouraged? If you are not satisfied like many of us, why don;t you get involved and try to change things? Non-resident taxpayers were well represented, I understand.

The usual taping was done by Hollis Austin and will be available on the MCA website in short order. Suggest you check it out.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
hancoveguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
What do you mean by a "breakthrough"? The town is under a 15 year contract that offers little hope for the loss of all Boston channels. There was a lengthy discussion last night with 2 TWC representatives at the BoS meeting. Apparently you were not there, so did you send in questions as was encouraged? If you are not satisfied like many of us, why don;t you get involved and try to change things? Non-resident taxpayers were well represented, I understand.
Wow...I had no idea about any contracts or internal town related strife... I merely asked if there are any other choices as far as cable tv/internet are concerned. Maybe some new competitors or technological breakthroughs that would allow us to use something other than time warner. I dont need to show up at meetings nor do I want to "get involved" with anything or partake in any other "activism"...

I come to the lake to get away from that crap not change the players or venue...

I am very sorry to have bothered you, is there a way I can withdraw my question...

HCG
Old 04-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
VitaBene

Quote:
Wow...I had no idea about any contracts or internal town related strife... I merely asked if there are any other choices as far as cable tv/internet are concerned. Maybe some new competitors or technological breakthroughs that would allow us to use something other than time warner. I dont need to show up at meetings nor do I want to "get involved" with anything or partake in any other "activism"...

I come to the lake to get away from that crap not change the players or venue...

I am very sorry to have bothered you, is there a way I can withdraw my question...

HCG
No need to withdraw your question HCG, it was perfectly reasonable!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:

HCG
Sorry if my response came across as too strong for you, my apologies. Most of the town property owners (resident and non-resident) are very unhappy with TWC and their inability to provide good service. They have a monopoly on cable service in out area. You don't have to become involved other than to express your support in everyones efforts to get better service from TWC.

Your initial question was vague and did not ask about options other than TWC. There are the two non cable companies plus a couple of wireless services for internet. It is my understanding that contracts are standard wherever you are.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
Newbiesaukee

The five months we have Time-Warner are a lot better than the 7 months I have Comcast in Florida. Not that I like any of them, but Time Warner has promptly responded to problems and their off-season policy is reasonable. As in most things, you need to be careful what you wish for.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
CateP

Default Satellite?

Why not Dish Network or DirectTV?
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Cable monopolies are exactly why I went to Dish Network. Couldn't stand the constant rate increases or poor service cable provided. It was their way or the highway so I took the highway and never looked back. Couldn't be happier with better picture quality, better service and cheaper prices!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
hancoveguy (04-08-2011)
Old 04-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
hancoveguy

Okay, this is what i was looking for. Dan, please elaborate on dish network at the lake. Cost, ease of use, channel selection (dont need much), installation and internet...
Any of the above would be greatly appreciated,
thank you in advance
HCG
Old 04-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #11
VitaBene

Quote:
Okay, this is what i was looking for. Dan, please elaborate on dish network at the lake. Cost, ease of use, channel selection (dont need much), installation and internet...
thank you in advance
HCG
I am interested in this as well, we have had the dish in the past but not internet. I thought internet uploading was the challenge.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
ishoot308

Quote:
thank you in advance
HCG
Well first off forget about Dish for internet, I only use them for TV.

Since I have Dish at my home in Chester I simply use a separate satellite box and auxilliary dish at my camp on Welch. It's a $5.00 per month charge for the box but this allows me to have full TV access at both homes under one account and one charge. I do not remember how much the dish was but it was cheap. As far as price goes, it all depends on on which package you choose. You can get 60 channels for $34.00 per month or if your a TV fanatic the everything pack and I do mean everything for $104.00

The two real big things I like about Dish is...

#1 They don't constantly raise their prices every 6 months like cable. I am only aware of one price increase in the last 5 years.

#2 The picture quality is second to none. I have all big screen plasmas and LCD's and really enjoy watching the discovery channel in high definition as well as live sporting events. Having had cable previously I can tell you there is no comparison in picture quality.

Just my opinion;

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
hancoveguy (04-09-2011)
Old 04-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
phoenix

i use Direct TV in Moultonboro. I do think you can get internet but a separate dish thru hughes net. Maybe the same with Dish but Direct TV lets me fully shut down the service in the winter at no cost so i only pay for the summer months
Old 04-10-2011, 04:30 AM   #14
hancoveguy

Thank you, all very good info...anyone have any more info on direct T.V';s internet capability and price?

HCG
Old 04-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #15
ishoot308

Just an fyi... Dish does offer internet service but the price of it makes it unpractical. I use Dish only for TV and get internet through my local phone company.

Dan
Old 04-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #16
wifi

Experiencing the various internet providers over the years (and being one myself) I'd have to order what "I" would consider the priority order:

1) Cable (if you are a serious "Interneter", ie lots of downloads, constant access, heavy duty gaming (where you have to win... LOL)

2) DSL, especially if you can get 3 or more megs. Its about the best price/speed you can find. Its distant dependent from the local distribution point, which is either the CO or a local SLC

3) Tie between aircards/tethering and local wireless providers. Aircards are great because they are portable, you can take them back home or on another vacation. Wireless providers win out locally because they offer near unlimited bandwidth. I have many aircard converts due to overage charges, and I'm (a wireless provider) atleast as fast as aircards and closer to standard cable depending on factors...

4) Satellite, whether Hughes or Starband. Great download speeds, horrible upload (slower than dialups) and the latency (time between hitting enter and getting a response) is .... ummmm...

5) Dialup, well, most of us know this route

6) Reading the local paper.....
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
Ladybear (04-11-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #17
natureboy79

dish network does not carry nh local channels in Moultonborough. Your local channels and weather would be portland maine. We missed having nh locals so we switched from dish to time warner and personally liked dish until we got cable again especially with the the increase of tornado warnings with thunderstorms over the last couple years. You would have no idea if you were in danger because of the local Maine channels. It was also cheaper for us to go with time warners triple play deal with the phone and net. Just my 2 cents.
natureboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to natureboy79 For This Useful Post:
acanthus (05-23-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #18
phoenix

Direct TV gets NH stations but not Boston
Old 04-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #19
Irrigation Guy

A little birdie told me it is possible to get the boston stations in Moultonboro with Directv or Dish Network. You receive the bill in Moultonboro but have a different service address.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #20
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
A little birdie told me it is possible to get the boston stations in Moultonboro with Directv or Dish Network. You receive the bill in Moultonboro but have a different service address.
You are quite correct!!
Old 04-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #21
phoenix

i tried to use a PO box in Center Harbor but that didn't work needed a service address as stated
Old 04-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #22
Irrigation Guy

A friend of mine is a big Red sox fan and still uses an old address in MA for his service address to get all the Red sox games in NJ.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #23
CateP

Default Risky Business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
A friend of mine is a big Red sox fan and still uses an old address in MA for his service address to get all the Red sox games in NJ.
This is very interesting to me because we plan on getting Direct TV when we move up there and will want the Boston stations. (We are a a Yankees/ Red Sox household. Watch the fur fly. And I am a huge Celtics fan.)

Last edited by CateP; 04-13-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #24
Irrigation Guy

My friend tells me he has been doing this for years and it is just a tv market/FCC thing. No warranty implied.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #25
wifi

Just remember Carroll county and north is the Portland ME area, Belknap and south is Boston as your service address
Old 04-14-2011, 09:10 AM   #26
Newbiesaukee

If you use a different service address, what happens if you need service at your home? Will the technician come to your house?

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #27
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Just remember Carroll county and north is the Portland ME area, Belknap and south is Boston as your service address
I just checked DirectTV local station coverage for Meredith and indeed they are the Boston stations. Very happy about that. Now we just need to move there
Old 04-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #28
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
If you use a different service address, what happens if you need service at your home? Will the technician come to your house?
Service could be an issue with this scenerio. But I have had Direct for over 10 years with zero service technicians having to show up. Unless your dish falls off the roof you will not need any technicians to come out.

And then there are private technicians that do not work for Direct or Dish. If you really needed a visit to your residence. The private ones don't care where you reside or what address you use for billing or service or whatever. And if you do need a service technician to come to house from Direct or Dish they still charge you for service unless you have the monthly paid for service contract.

I do hear that there are some/few/many who live in Carroll and get the Boston channels with satellite. And have so for many years.

One suggested website is satelliteguys. LINK
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:18 AM   #29
fpartri497

Default direct TV

The only complaint I have about the dish Is during a snow storm the dish gets covered with snow and blocks the signal. happened to me four times this winter. had to go out with a very long pole and a rag on the end to clean off the dish. Now mthat would happen no matter who`s dish Is up on te wall.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #30
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
The only complaint I have about the dish Is during a snow storm the dish gets covered with snow and blocks the signal. happened to me four times this winter. had to go out with a very long pole and a rag on the end to clean off the dish. Now mthat would happen no matter who`s dish Is up on te wall.

Very good point. For some if dish is on roof and not high enough up or roof is a shallow slope - a large snow store - the snow can overcome the actual dish - and the snow has to be pushed aside. So some do need a plan to remove snow.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #31
wifi

If that is an issue, you can always use one of these
Old 04-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #32
escaped from NJ

Default Direct TV question

So, we have Direct TV at home in CT and while at the Wolfeboro fair last summer, we stopped by the Direct TV booth. The person at the booth said we could bring up the "box controller" from our home and put it in our cottage. Then, he would come and install a dish on our cottage and the only additional cost would be for him to install the dish. So, from others, it looks like this works. Would we get the same channels we get in CT?

Seems to me this is the only and potentially least expensive way to get more than the couple Maine stations that we presently get on the island, especially when we need it only six months a year. Yes?
escaped from NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #33
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by escaped from NJ View Post
So, we have Direct TV at home in CT and while at the Wolfeboro fair last summer, we stopped by the Direct TV booth. The person at the booth said we could bring up the "box controller" from our home and put it in our cottage. Then, he would come and install a dish on our cottage and the only additional cost would be for him to install the dish. So, from others, it looks like this works. Would we get the same channels we get in CT?

Seems to me this is the only and potentially least expensive way to get more than the couple Maine stations that we presently get on the island, especially when we need it only six months a year. Yes?
Yes you would get the same channels as in CT unless of course for some reason the signal is not available in the lakes region area.

It is definitely the best and cheapest way to go!

Dan
Old 04-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #34
songkrai

Quote:

The short answer is yes. Just call Direct TV and make an appointment for a new dish for the NH home. I was told the charge is $49.95 for them to do this.

The long answer is be careful. You will obtain different answers from different people at Direct TV.

But what I was told was that if you are out of your 24 month (no current contract ) contract AND you add any new equipment - including a dish on roof - you begin a NEW 24 month contract.

Yes, if you have the correct dish - and there are many different dishes - you can use the same receiver in CT and NH. You can have one account and use it in two different locations. One is turned OFF the the other is turned ON. And you do have a choice to receive either the local channels in CT or NH. There are other ways to do this but those may or may not violate Direct TV rules.

But you best read up on how all this works.

LINK
Old 04-19-2011, 05:37 AM   #35
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Dish

Based on experience, be sure you have the dish company check that you can get a clear signal before you sign a contract. You will need a clear view of the sky looking to the south. Things like trees and mountains can be a problem in some areas.

We couldn't get a signal, the guy even suggested that we "could" get one if we removed a few trees. We stayed with Metrocast.
escaped from NJ (04-19-2011)
Old 04-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #36
escaped from NJ

Default Direct TV - moving receiver back and forth to a new location

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
The short answer is yes. Just call Direct TV and make an appointment for a new dish for the NH home. I was told the charge is $49.95 for them to do this.

The long answer is be careful. You will obtain different answers from different people at Direct TV.

But what I was told was that if you are out of your 24 month (no current contract ) contract AND you add any new equipment - including a dish on roof - you begin a NEW 24 month contract.

Yes, if you have the correct dish - and there are many different dishes - you can use the same receiver in CT and NH. You can have one account and use it in two different locations. One is turned OFF the the other is turned ON. And you do have a choice to receive either the local channels in CT or NH. There are other ways to do this but those may or may not violate Direct TV rules.

But you best read up on how all this works.

LINK
Thanks for this link. Very helpful. When you say one account is turned on and one off, does that happen automatically or how do you make that happen every weekend when we go from CT to NH?
escaped from NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #37
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Thanks for this link. Very helpful. When you say one account is turned on and one off, does that happen automatically or how do you make that happen every weekend when we go from CT to NH?
I don't think they want you to do it but I think you can just bring a box from home and hook it up. No phone call.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #38
hancoveguy

I just got off the phone withy direct tv and they said that you cannot "just move a box between locations and retain service". They told me that I could "pause" one location and move to the box to the second or "add" another account for the entire separate account fee.

I have read here that if you have a second dish (how ro from whom I don't know) you can just transplant a box from your home to the lake without direct's knowledge or approval for no additional fee. Based on my limited understanding of how this stuff works I am inclined to believe this is true and direct cannot prevent it so they do what they can to "convince" someone that it cant be done.

Before I commit to switching from Verizon in Mass (I hate verizon anyway) I just wanna here from someone that actually does this without any additional cost or issues.

Also, how would I get another dish and get it installed...

HCG
Old 04-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #39
jmen24

Been all around the Mulberry Bush on this one and here is our experience.

Had Direct TV, by far the best TV service we have ever had. Wanted to upgrade to HD when the new TV showed up, site line for HD dish was to low and could not get the signal.

Went to Comcast, paid a ton of money to have HD on only one TV (we had 2 other sets) Left as soon as we could. Comcast HD channels are just expanded SD shows (TnT, USA, etc) viewing is rediculous. The other two TVs were basic plug in the back with no box. It was going to cost us almost double what we were currently paying to upgrade with additional boxes. I don't even know how they can legally charge what they do.

Found out from a bird that Dish Offers TWO different Satellite pointing directions, Eastern Arc and Western Arc (the eastern arc points about 30 degrees further to the Southeast). We were able to get the Eastern Arc pointing (you have to request it when ordering the package). Have HD on each TV, have 3 times the channels than Comcast and pay the same amount. The only issue is that not all of the HD channels are on this Arc, we have lost Vs in HD, which isn't an issue if not not a house full of Hockey fans like us (TV size will compensate for this if need be, that's a free excuse for the guys out there, won't charge for it this time around). NESN is still HD though, so all is well on the eastern front.

The HD picture with Dish, blows Comcast out of the water. 1080i from Dish matched with a 4,000,000:1 Contrast ratio on the LED and you can actually see the depth in the scene that was shot, like they are sitting on the couch next to you. Only slightly lagging behind Blueray, but oh so close. Took quite a while to get used to it. That is a pretty good picture signal if you ask me.

Last edited by jmen24; 04-20-2011 at 07:05 AM.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #40
songkrai

Quote:
I just got off the phone withy direct tv and they said that you cannot "just move a box between locations and retain service". They told me that I could "pause" one location and move to the box to the second or "add" another account for the entire separate account fee.

I have read here that if you have a second dish (how ro from whom I don't know) you can just transplant a box from your home to the lake without direct's knowledge or approval for no additional fee. Based on my limited understanding of how this stuff works I am inclined to believe this is true and direct cannot prevent it so they do what they can to "convince" someone that it cant be done.

Before I commit to switching from Verizon in Mass (I hate verizon anyway) I just wanna here from someone that actually does this without any additional cost or issues.

Also, how would I get another dish and get it installed...

HCG

Here is one way that is done all the time.

You have one account with Direct. If you have two homes. Both homes obviously need a dish. If non-HD then any dish will operate. If you have HD in CT then you would need an HD dish in NH. You bring receiver from CT to NH. You telephone Direct customer serice and tell them to turn off service in the CT and turn on the service in NH. If you already have a dish in NH. Very simple no charge. You would get the local Maine or Boston channels depending on what county you live in. Belknap county gets the Boston channels and Carroll county gets the Maine channels. Done deal. No charge. Happens every day.

Now, if you do not have a dish on the roof in NH. That is different. You can call Direct and they will come out and install one for a fee. You still bring the receiver up from CT or Direct will provide you with one. At this point you may/probably will begin a new 24 month contract. If you are still under the initial 24 month contract then it begins another 24 month contract. The type of receiver you have determines what dish you get.

If you wish to avoid any new 24 month contract you can hire an independent contractor and pay for the correct dish to be placed on your roof - assuming there are no trees blocking needed direction. At this point you are paying somewhere around $250.00 to $300.00 for the dish and the installation. This is a private contractor that is not working for Direct. This is what I did and here is the link to an independent contractor: Cold River.

LINK

If you have no dish in NH and you want to use receiver the easiest way is to just call Direct and pay the $49.00 and begin a new 24 month contract. Have your CT receiver with you or Direct will lease you another one.

The more expensive way is to hire an independent contractor and pay for a dish installation and not do it through Direct. There is nothing against any rules to do this.

Local CT channels or lacal NH channels. You can keep the CT channels. What determines the local channels is the card that you slide in the receiver. AND whether you advise Direct where you are.

All with one account. But one has to be turned off and the other turned on. By turning on is meant that you telephone Direct to do this.

The receiver itself is dumb. It does not know where it is. So hypothetically, if you got the Boston or Maine local channels one day, you could telephone Direct the next day and tell them that you are in CT the and get the local CT channels.

I own all my Direct equipment. Receivers and dishes. I completed my 24 month contract many years ago. I have two homes. When I get to my destination home I telephone Direct and have them turn off one home and turn on the other (receivers). You do need to keep track of receiver ID numbers if you are not carrying the receiver with you. One account. No contract. Well, some will say "What if something breaks?". Direct offers insurance. $5.00 per month. And all service calls are free no charge. Direct has even replaced one of my owned (not leased) receivers at no charge.

The short answer is just have Direct come out to your NH home and pay the $49.95 for installation of dish and begin a new 24 month contract. Direct can bring out a new receiver at this time or you can bring the one up from CT. It makes no difference. Direct charges $6.00 per month for any additional receivers after the first receiver whether you own them or they are leased.

There are still other ways to accomplish this that are against Direct rules and I will not go into those ways here. Everything I do is above board and I follow all of Direct rules.

Important note about Direct TV Customer Service. It can be agonizing at times. You will get different answers from different customer service representatives. What I do with my Direct account is completely with the rules of Direct TV. But some customer service people at Direct TV have told me that it can't be done. Dealing with Direct TV (and Dish Network) can try ones patience. You the customer have to be knowledgeable in what can and cannot be done. And be persistent.

What dish to get? If you have HD receivers then you will need a Slimline 5 dish. If you are starting from scratch then ask for a SWM dish. The SWM (called swim) dish is the latest and only uses one wire (RG6 cable wire). If you have legacy equipment (older receivers) then ask for a Slimline 5 dish.

Again, satelliteguys is an excellent resource.

LINK

I am by no means an expert on this. Others please chime in.

Last edited by songkrai; 04-21-2011 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to songkrai For This Useful Post:
Grady223 (04-22-2011)
Old 04-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #41
Grady223

songkrai - what about the phone number that the receiver is hooked to, doesn't it need to be changed and doesn't it determine what local channels you get?
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #42
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady223 View Post
songkrai - what about the phone number that the receiver is hooked to, doesn't it need to be changed and doesn't it determine what local channels you get?
In the old(er) days, the phone number was fairly reliable locator, these days, just get a VOIP number in the location you want to appear to be (say Laconia, for example) and you can get the Boston channels.

The least complicated and simpler solution is, as mentioned above, is to have someone put a dish in NH and carry your receiver between locations, and not plug the NH phone line into it and live with what ever satellite channels aren't broadcasted into NH
Old 04-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #43
songkrai

Quote:
No.

You don't even need a phone to receive regular or HD channels. Unless you wish to purchase pay per view. That is all the phone line is used for. Remember the receiver is dumb. It does not know where it is. Even hooked up to a telephone. Maybe sometime in the future Direct will change and be able to tell where a receiver is by the telephone number but as of today it does not. And again, you do not need any telephone connection at all. You do have to tell Direct that the room receiver is used in has no telephone.

Every day, people with Direct TV get/order another receiver for a spare bedroom. And not all homes new or old have a phone jack in every room. Direct TV knows this. So if you were to call them and order another receiver you just tell them that there is no phone jack in the room. Again, no phone connection no pay per view channels. You can order another receiver in CT or order one in NH. It makes no difference.

You can also use cat5e (broadband) wire. All receivers today have both a phone jack and a cat5e (broadband) jack in back and either can be used or not used. Direct does not expect all customers with rooms in home with no phone connection to rewire all rooms with a new hard wired phone connection.

Direct TV is just beginning to get into the wireless technology. I'm not sure how that works. All my receivers are hard wired. I use cate5e wire in both my homes. And the cat5e (broadband) wire has nothing to do with my telephone and has nothing to do with Direct TV. All Direct desires is a connection so that they can charge for pay per view. So if you do not need pay per view then no phone or cat5e wire is needed. My receivers are hard wired (cat5e) only because I order movies - pay per view - from Direct. Ohterwise I would not have any phone or cat5e hard wired to the receiver.

Again, I can't over emphasize this. You do have to do your homework. Customer Service at Direct (and Dish) can and do provide different answers to the same question on different calls to them. You have to know what can be done before you call them. And you have to be persisitent. Some of my calls to Direct TV require being transferred to a higher up Customer Service person. The higher up in Customer Service the more knowledgeable.

Off this question. Just a note. I actually own my receivers - no lease whatsoever. But be forewarned. Buying a new receiver at Best Buy or Amazon - you do not actually own the receiver. You are buying a receiver that is leased and if you ever cancel Direct TV you must send the receiver back to Direct as these "bought" receivers are actually leased.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #44
songkrai

Quote:
Determining the local channels.

What determines the local channels is the physical location Direct TV is told that the receiver is at. Not any telephone connection. You, the customer tell Direct where the receiver is located. The physical location of receiver has nothing to do with where you are billed. The average customer probably gets their bill at the home where the receivers are located. I get my bill at a PO Box. The stated location of my receivers is a physical street address that I told Direct TV.

Let's do a hypothetical for instructional purposes only. Let me state up front that you should tell Direct TV where all receivers are at all times. Those are the rules. Let's say you have a son in Montana. He has a correct dish on roof. You can take your CT receiver to Montana and just plug it in. No calls to Direct. No phone connection. You would still receive the channels you presently get in CT. There are some caveats to this. Certain satellites are located in certain areas of sky. Last I was told there are about a dozen satellites in sky. You don't use all of the satellites. Some are for foreign channels. As an example, some in US are from Asia. Direct has an Asian package that these folks can purchase.

Again, I advise all to follow the rules at all times.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:21 AM   #45
fatlazyless

Default 32.6 million dollar pay package-DirecTV boss

A 32.6 million dollar pay package that includes salary and stock options is what the ceo of DirecTV, Michael White, is getting for 2011. And the 30-dollar monthly DirecTV charge here in Meredith is still about half the price of the 60-dollar/month that Metrocast Cable will charge you. In the second year of the 24-month DirecTV contract, the monthly charge automatically goes up, probably to about sixty.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:35 AM   #46
wifi

Default Cable TV in Moultonborough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
A 32.6 million dollar pay package that includes salary and stock options is what the ceo of DirecTV, Michael White, is getting for 2011. And the 30-dollar monthly DirecTV charge here in Meredith is still about half the price of the 60-dollar/month that Metrocast Cable will charge you. In the second year of the 24-month DirecTV contract, the monthly charge automatically goes up, probably to about sixty.
What does any of this have to do with cable TV in Moultonboro ?
Old 05-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #47
longislander

Just some more two cents!

RE internet: Fairpoint Communications (phone company) has expanded its DSL footprint in Moultonborough in the last few months. I dropped "Roadrunner", Time Warner's high speed internet for DSL, of which I had my doubts, but have been pleasantly surprised.

According to Speedtest .net I'm getting 15.3 to 15.4 mps on the download and almost a full mps on the upload.

However, I'm less than a mile from the "CO" and proximity to the "CO" is key to optimizing speed.

We're dropping Time Warner for everything but "Standard" and "Basic" to get local TV and favorites like History, FX etc.(cf. TM website for inclusion)

We're using a Roku box for downstreaming movies (e.g. Netflix) and Huluplus for some TV shows, replacing "On Demand".

http://www.roku.com/roku-products?gc...Fd8D5Qoddi451A

I had installed Direct TV myself (literally) about ten...twelve years ago when the "stuff" came in a box from a warehouse and you set it up with instructions.

The tree line around my house prevented any signal from Echostar (Dishnetwork) but with a ten foot pole on the tallest side of my house I was able to get a signal from Direct TV's satellite.

I used it for quite a few years and liked it. If a heavy storm (rain or snow) came through there was interruption with the signal for a short period of time.

I switched to Cable (Adelphia at the time) when high speed internet was offered.
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #48
lof398

Default Twc

Ugh...time warner cable...Just bought seasonal place up there (not new, neighbors have cable) that didnt already have cable. They have to come do a site survey first. I swear the original sales guy told me 2 days to do the site survey, up to 19 days for the whole process. Called back to check on the site survey, and was told it could take up to 19 days to just do the site survey!!!!!! REally 19 days to just come look at it???? WOW
lof398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #49
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I remember that when we first got cable. I couldn't believe they needed to do a site review when neighbors had cable already. It just seemed stupid to me.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:11 AM   #50
fatlazyless

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/story...ocast-monopoly

This is an August 23 article on renewing the cable-tv contract for Laconia, and it is certainly something every town needs to consider when thinking about renewing their local cable-tv contract.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ite-was-169221

Price competition is what makes this country great, at least that's what everyone used to say a lot, back in the 1960's and 1970's. It is still true today!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-23-2011 at 06:36 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote