Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #1
neckdweller

Default Body found at Braun Bay?

Per THe Dive’s Faceook post. Haven’t seen that anywhere else at this point.

Quote:
To all of our fellow boaters and friends at Braun Bay yesterday, Saturday, August 3… Please contact Marine patrol if you know anything that happened between 12 PM and 7 PM yesterday. A body was found floating this morning and The MP would like any assistance in solving this matter. Our hearts go out to the family and we hope they find some answers to this horrible tragedy. We will be assisting as well with security footage from our restaurant. Thank you.
neckdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neckdweller For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (08-05-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Body found at Braun Bay?

Reported on the Winnipesaukee Facebook site the MP are at a home across from the BB sandbar and the sandbar is now open to boats to anchor

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #3
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

https://www.wmur.com/article/body-fo...rough/28601004
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (08-04-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 08:26 PM   #4
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Braun Bay body found

How sad. A 34 year old man was swimming with friends, and when they didn’t see him, they figured he went off with others. Doesn’t add up to me, so will pay closer attention at 11’s news. Very very sad situation. How could you leave, not knowing?
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (08-05-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 04:54 AM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Union Leader article:

https://www.unionleader.com/news/saf...lock_id=664693
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (08-06-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2019, 05:13 AM   #6
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Only 34 years old.

From the Laconia Sun:

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...4e426bbbb.html
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:28 AM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I just couldn't imagine leaving a friend behind and ASSUMING he left with somebody else. Wow.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:36 AM   #8
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I just couldn't imagine leaving a friend behind and ASSUMING he left with somebody else. Wow.
The only way I see it happening is if they had friends there or he had connected with another group which, given his age, is entirely possible.

Terribly sad situation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:03 AM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Hmmmm...

OK so friends left him there by accident...but how does a 34 year old man drown?? His friends were certainly not the cause of his drowning...

Something is very odd here...

Dan
Old 08-06-2019, 07:06 AM   #10
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
OK so friends left him there by accident...but how does a 34 year old man drown?? His friends were certainly not the cause of his drowning...

Something is very odd here...

Dan
I gotta think alcohol/blackout or accidental strike. Does seem crazy, though. I'd hate to be the guy who found the body--talk about a horrible memory imprint.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 07:10 AM   #11
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Braun Bay Body

It’s a mystery.....perhaps there had been too much liquid refreshment? Not being judgmental, but it’s very strange...I can’t imagine ever leaving a swimming area, not being sure that everyone in the party is accounted for. Again, a very sad situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 07:45 AM   #12
Jeanzb1

Agree with Sue Doe-Nym and thinkingo. Maybe a medical condition or too much drinking and he simply sunk and his body didn’t surface until the following day, but we will have to wait for autopsy results. Tragic.

Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #13
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Giving the benefit of the doubt to the deceased's friends, I would expect they did some sort of search before leaving and had some basis for thinking he left with others. Highly unlikely that they would have expected a medical issue (cramps, heart attack?) for a young man who could have simply walked ashore if he was tired from swimming, etc. Autopsy will tell more.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:21 AM   #14
Patiently Watching

I would be shocked if alcohol/drugs are not involved.
Given what I have seen at Braun Bay over the last few years, it seems it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.
The State of NH needs to address the rafting and partying over there before someone else ends up dead.
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #15
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patiently Watching View Post
Given what I have seen at Braun Bay over the last few years, it seems it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.
The State of NH needs to address the rafting and partying over there before someone else ends up dead.
I agree with you.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #16
joey2665

Quote:
That is a tremendous assumption you are making. The best thing would be to wait for the autopsy before we start casting stones at the people who raft in that area. (side note, I have never rafted there). Why would you think someone else could end up dead? I have been by and anchored across from there many times. Just a bunch of people having fun, I have never see anything life threatening
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #17
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
That is a tremendous assumption you are making. The best thing would be to wait for the autopsy before we start casting stones at the people who raft in that area. (side note, I have never rafted there). Why would you think someone else could end up dead? I have been by and anchored across from there many times. Just a bunch of people having fun, I have never see anything life threatening
Every summer for the last six we have owned on Winni, there has been at least one tragic accident--diving, falling, etc.--and multiple reports of incapacitated interventions. It's not a tremendous assumption at all.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #18
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Every summer for the last six we have owned on Winni, there has been at least one tragic accident--diving, falling, etc.--and multiple reports of incapacitated interventions. It's not a tremendous assumption at all.

Sorry I disagree and think it is best to wait for the autopsy? I may not have been around the lake all my life but have over the last 15 years. Yes there have been incidences with people operating under the influence, water sports incidents, falling off moving boats will under the influence but I do not recall a specific incident at one on the rafting sandbars where there was a severe accident or death where alcohol was the contributing factor. Maybe I’m wrong

Old 08-06-2019, 12:53 PM   #19
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Big Leap

Quote:
That's a big leap for someone who is "Patiently Watching". Wait for the autopsy. Last time I was there, years ago, I admit, it was all family stuff, kids, float toys, etc. I don't know the NH criteria for labeling something as suspicious or not suspicious, but so far this has been declared non-suspicious.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #20
Taz

Quote:
there is no rafting at Braun Bay, its a no raft zone. What do you do about the partying? If laws are not broken you can not stop boaters from anchoring there. They thought turning it into a no rafting zone would stop the madness but no, its just as bad if not worse.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #21
Taz

what I don't understand is why the last boat to leave Braun Bay on Saturday did not see this person alone or floating? Wouldn't he have to be there when the last boat left the bay?
Old 08-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #22
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Braun Bay Body

The person could have been submerged, not at water’s surface. Besides, if you weren’t looking for something specific, it wouldn’t necessarily be that visible.....
Plus partying people on boat weren’t paying attention....just a guess on my part. People tend to be far too casual around the water...that’s a huge generalization, but true, sad to say, and can lead to senseless tragedy.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #23
Taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
The person could have been submerged, not at water’s surface. Besides, if you weren’t looking for something specific, it wouldn’t necessarily be that visible.....
Plus partying people on boat weren’t paying attention....just a guess on my part. People tend to be far too casual around the water...that’s a huge generalization, but true, sad to say, and can lead to senseless tragedy.
I guess your right because it happened but I still can not believe with all the people in the Bay someone did not see this body. Unless it was out deep enough beyond the shallows, the water is clear and shallow. Plus a body the size of a 32 year old male in shallow clear water I would think would be very visible. I was there 2 weeks ago and clearly saw small turtles swimming under water.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #24
Phantom

I agree with those who say -- "Let's wait for the facts" and STOP armchair speculations of what could have been or not.

However - the one thing that stood out as EXTREMELY odd was the comment made in the Laconia Daily ….. "The following morning, the friends located Whitehill's untouched personal effects. When they returned to Braun Bay"

Where in God's name does someone store their personal stuff at Braun Bay ?? Granted it has been many many years since we last visited that sandbar for our personal reason ……. I never recall any sandy beach area, or anyone one the actual shoreline (perhaps it's changed).
Old 08-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #25
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I agree with those who say -- "Let's wait for the facts" and STOP armchair speculations of what could have been or not.

However - the one thing that stood out as EXTREMELY odd was the comment made in the Laconia Daily ….. "The following morning, the friends located Whitehill's untouched personal effects. When they returned to Braun Bay"

Where in God's name does someone store their personal stuff at Braun Bay ?? Granted it has been many many years since we last visited that sandbar for our personal reason ……. I never recall any sandy beach area, or anyone one the actual shoreline (perhaps it's changed).
Lots of rocks with nooks and crannies for someone to “hide” their personal effects...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #26
ApS

Question Cell Phone?

While we're busy not speculating:

Quote:
I agree with those who say -- "Let's wait for the facts" and STOP armchair speculations of what could have been or not. However - the one thing that stood out as EXTREMELY odd was the comment made in the Laconia Daily ….. "The following morning, the friends located Whitehill's untouched personal effects. When they returned to Braun Bay". Where in God's name does someone store their personal stuff at Braun Bay ?? Granted it has been many many years since we last visited that sandbar for our personal reason ……. I never recall any sandy beach area, or anyone one the actual shoreline (perhaps it's changed).
I suspect the "personal stuff" was located the next morning—on their boat. (At which time they returned to Braun Bay).

If this had been a Florida story, the victim would be found with a fatal injury from an ill-advised dive from the boat into shallow water.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:18 AM   #27
Phantom

Just out of curiosity ………. has any further details been released that I may have missed ?
Old 08-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #28
garysanfran

Default What did you miss???

Quote:
Just out of curiosity ………. has any further details been released that I may have missed ?
Just being a wise ass...Sorry.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:14 PM   #29
Shera

Default What actually happened.

I realize this thread is from almost 3 years ago but I am the stepmother-in-law and there are so many guesses in this thread that are way off base and it just doesn't seem like that long ago to us.
Ben was at a bachelor party and there were several cars they used to transport people from the rented house to the lake so it was not strange that his friends just thought he was in a different car. This is why no one noticed him missing other than his wife who was in a full-blown panic because he was not answering phone calls or texts.
Ben's autopsy showed NO drugs or alcohol in his system. It did show that he had an enlarged heart and distorted aorta which caused him to faint. Had he not been in 3 feet of water,o r had someone seen him go under, he probably could have been treated for his conditions. He was an active, fit man who'd shown no signs of issues before. No one happened to be looking when he fainted. He had a 2 year old daughter (now 5) who is aware she had an amazing Dad.
He was not drunk & he was not on drugs, and his friends were not awful for mistakenly leaving him behind.

Last edited by Shera; 06-18-2022 at 12:11 PM. Reason: grammar
Shera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Shera For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (06-22-2022), Bear Guy (06-18-2022), CTYankee (06-18-2022), Descant (06-19-2022), DotRat (06-18-2022), farechofisherman (06-18-2022), Fritoman (06-17-2022), jogator1 (06-19-2022), KennyFromBoston (06-18-2022), LIforrelaxin (06-21-2022), Orion (06-27-2022), SAMIAM (06-18-2022), Slickcraft (06-17-2022), Tomregal (06-20-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 06:43 PM   #30
Roy_Hobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shera View Post
I realize this thread is from almost 3 years ago but I am the stepmother-in-law and there are so many guesses in this thread that are way off base and it just doesn't seem like that long ago to us.

Ben was at a bachelor party and there were several cars they used to transport people from the rented house to the lake so it was not strange that his friends just thought he was in a different car. This is why no one noticed him missing other than his wife who was in a full-blown panic because he was not answering phone calls or texts.

Ben's autopsy showed NO drugs or alcohol in his system. It did show that he had an enlarged heart and distorted aorta which caused him to faint. Had he not been in 3 feet of water or, had someone seen him go under, he probably could have been treated for his conditions. He was an active, fit man who'd shown no signs of issues before. No one happened to be looking when he fainted. He had a 2 year old daughter (now 5) who is aware she had an amazing Dad.

He was not drunk & he was not on drugs, and his friends were not awful for mistakenly leaving him behind.
Thank you for providing this information. In my opinion a good example of why we should try to refrain from making assumptions even when no harm is intended. I can’t imagine the pain that his family and friends must have felt / still feel, and am happy to hear that his daughter is learning about her dad.
Roy_Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Roy_Hobbs For This Useful Post:
Bear Guy (06-18-2022), BroadHopper (06-18-2022), CTYankee (06-18-2022), farechofisherman (06-18-2022), jogator1 (06-19-2022), KennyFromBoston (06-18-2022), LIforrelaxin (06-21-2022), Orion (06-27-2022), SAMIAM (06-18-2022), Shera (06-18-2022)