Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
Chickie

Default Civil War Veteran

I read with interest in this morning’s Laconia Citizen an article concerning a veteran of the Civil War, whose descendants have recently had a marker placed on his grave at Union Cemetery. According to the article, John Page Davis was with the 12th Regiment, N.H. Volunteers and was injured in the Battle of Gettysburg. He returned to Laconia where he lived out the remainder of his life and passed away in 1921. It is certainly a credit to his descendants who cared enough to accomplish this task and it is fitting that the stone has been laid as we approach Veterans’ Day.

When I visited the Gettysburg Battlefield many years ago, I remember pausing at the small monument dedicated to the 12th Regiment of the N.H. Volunteers. I am wondering if there are other descendants of Civil War veterans who may be members of this forum? It would be interesting to hear about them.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
WinnDixie

Default Our family

Well, I guess this "outs" me..but, since I already referred to it in the post about which generation we are ,in the Lakes Region...that is my husband's three-greats grandfather. He and his cousin, and her husband, have been working on this for some time and we are all very happy to have the veteran's marker in place. Took a little research on how to achieve it, but there it is. The newspaper articles chronicle his life well, but I can add one interesting little fact. My husband's grandmother would tell how "Blind John" ("Grampa"), who was her husband's great grandfather, would come around every fall, when they were young marrieds and check to see that they had gotten in their winter's supply of vegetables, dried meat, etc. all carefully stored, because, as she told us, "There was no 'relief' back then, you know". Such different times! Chickie, you are right...it will be interesting to hear of others, and what their stories are. People need to listen to the stories of the grandparents while they can...they are the primary source material for history.
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Here is a good link

I had, in the past, looked into NH's Civil War history. I had this site bookmarked. It hasn't been updated in about 6 years.

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nh/topic.../nh12threg.htm

Also, some narative from the Battle of Fredricksburg.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....t/12thNHBR.htm

Note the name "Potter" . Potter Hill Road? Interesting stuff.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Chickie

Thank you SteveA for the links. I have been having a bit of a computer problem so haven't had the chance to check them out thoroughly as yet.

WinnDixie: Doing the research and setting the wheels in motion to have the marker placed on your ancestor’s grave was certainly a labor of love. As I have a keen interest in history, my research has often taken me to Bayside Cemetery to try and uncover the secrets of the past. No better place to get absorbed in local history. Horace G. Whittier’s book, Historical Sketches of Lakeport, has listings of veterans who served in the Civil War from this area. His listing for the 12th Regiment, N.H. Volunteers does not include John Page Davis, so assume it must be only a partial listing of the men who served.

Whittier himself lost two brothers in the Civil War and they are both buried at Bayside Cemetery. Inscriptions on the family monument show that Lt. Joseph K. Whittier, Co. G, 12th Regiment, N.H. Vol., died at Cold Harbor, Va. on June 3, 1864 at age 20 years, 11 months. The other brother, Lyman P. Whittier, was in Co. D, 1st Mass Cavalry and died in Beaufort, S.C. on September 9, 1862 at age 22 years, 6 months. Imagine the grief of having two members of your family killed on the battlefield.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Boardwalk Bluesboy

Default Twelfth Regiment New Hampshire Volunteers

The local area has many interesting links to the Twelfth Regiment New Hampshire Volunteers.

First, the Sanborn Memorial Stone at the top of New Hampshire Avenue in Weirs Beach was erected in 1882 by members and friends of the Twelfth Regiment.

Second, Ira C. Evans, who was honored by the New Hampshire Veterans Association at its annual encampment in Weirs Beach in 1903, was a member of the Twelfth, and published the definitive book about the Twelfth in Concord in 1897. The book, written by Asa W. Bartlett, can be read online in its entirety here.

Third, here is an interesting history of Company "I" of the Twelth Regiment, courtesy of the Meredith Historical Society.

For anyone who wants to dig deeper into New Hampshire's regimental history during the War of The Rebellion, as the Civil War was known at the time, told from the perspective of the New Hampshire Veteran's Association in Weirs Beach, please click here.

Webmaster
WeirsBeach.com
Boardwalk Bluesboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boardwalk Bluesboy For This Useful Post:
mcdude (11-02-2008), SteveA (11-03-2008)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
WinnDixie

We've tracked John P. Davis through the 12 th NH Regimental History by Capt. A.W. Bartlett, Historian, 12th Regiment Assoc. John P. Davis was in H Company. There is a write-up on him on page 677, and his sketch is on page 679. The same history has the sketch of Lt. Joseph K. Whittier on page 674 and 675. This Regimental History is an awesome book, loaded with information. I know Laconia Library has it ( and other NH Regimental Histories)...possibly Gilford does, too. I see by another post here it is on-line, too. We also got information on John P. Davis from Stearn's Genealogy, Vol. One. Russ has long wanted to have a stone for him, but didn't know at first how to go about it. Our cousin's husband is a real genealogy buff, and he has unearthed lots of information, and also got to find the actual grave site..which took a little doing... and also shepherd the application process along. The Dept. of the Army ( and obviously the other services too) does provide a marker for all veterans...who can be verified. Having the NH Veteran's Cemetery is so valuable too. That came to be after we had moved, but we've been there. It is beautiful! We had a memorial brick for John P. Davis laid on the Memory Walkway in 2007...another nice way to remember those people who did so much for us!
Old 11-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
WinnDixie

Default Question, Boardwak Bluesboy

or anyone who can help...we have really been reminiscing these last few days about John P. Davis, and we have essentially no info at all about his son, John Rodney Davis. Stearn's records him as being born in 1852. No record of death, as he was evidently alive in 1902 when the book was published. Is there an on-line source of birth/death records for Belknap County? I am not exactly sure here...I know there are privacy laws regarding accessing some material like that. It doesn't hurt to ask, though...and we can"t "just drop in" to the Courthouse.

I have downloaded the 12th NH Regimental History to my desktop...thanks so much for that link. We have the book, but it is great to have it on the computer just the same!
Old 11-03-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
Chickie

Default Bartlett Book

I also have downloaded the Bartlett book and went immediately to the Davis and Whittier profiles and sketches. What a wonderful resource it is – just jammed pack with valuable information, and the sketches of the men are frosting on the cake. I have often paused at the Whittier monument at Bayside and tried to envision those times, wondering what Joseph and his brother might have looked like. Joseph was certainly a handsome young man. What a shame to have died so young, as he seemed to have such a promising future. Oh, to have a time machine available to us, even for just a day or week! There would certainly be a lot of things I would like to view.

Thanks for providing the link to the book and the other sites as well. Very interesting stuff, and it will add greatly to my knowledge of the 12th, NH Volunteers. It will take a while to read and digest it all and hopefully this old brain will retain a bit of it.

WinnDixie, I note in the Registry of Deeds website, there are a number of old deeds recorded under John P. Davis, as grantor. One of them shows that he deeded a farm to John Davis. (Book 57, Page 164) in 1873. Wonder if this is the same John P.? His wife is given as Mary and the land was in Gilford (perhaps actually in Lakeport as it was part of Gilford at that time).
Old 11-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
WinnDixie

Default Every bit helps!

Thanks, Chickie! We have sparse information handed down in the family, but we do know that Russ' grandfather spent summers "on the farm" when he was a child (which would have been late 1800's/very early 1900's). This has to be the one...John P.'s first wife was Mary Maloon. John Rodney was born in 1852, so we're guessing that is the John the farm was deeded to. Russ thought his grandmother said "Gilmanton"...but that isn't cast in stone. I did try to access the Registry of Deeds, and it won't load. I do have Java and all the "right stuff" (I'm pretty sure), but I am barely a "consumer" and the jargon, as I cruised around ,intimidated me pretty fast...so I slunk away in defeat! That's OK, though, you've given us another piece of the puzzle.

All you "kids" out there...all this history may seem boring. I know I was never all that interested; we did not take full advantage of asking questions (and writing stuff down!!) when the older generation was still here. We didn't care about genealogy. Well, as time goes on you may find you very much want to make the connection between your past and now. You will also get glimpses of what life was like back then which will amaze you. Russ' grandmother could not even vote when she was first married...and lots of people didn't think a thing about that! We've "come a long way"...and the journey has been so interesting!!
Old 11-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
Chickie

Default Registry of Deeds

The Registry of Deeds site can be a bit intimidating and confusing when trying to locate the older deeds for the first time. It is sometimes slow to load and has crashed on me a few times in the past. I can give you step-by-step instructions on how to access them if you haven’t been able to as yet. I found a couple more deeds this afternoon, whereby John P. Davis deeded two parcels, which consisted of a substantial amount of land, to Charles A. Davis. His wife’s signature is on one of them, as Mary M. Davis. Might Charles A. be a brother of John P. or some other ancestor you may be familiar with?

In reading the Bartlett book on line, I find a gap of 9 pages in Co. G. It goes to 661 and then skips to 670. At the top of Page 670 it mentions brothers Charles W. and Winthrop H. If my guess is correct, this is probably the profile of George Henry Smith. I have done quite a good deal of research on the Smith family (Winthrop H. especially) and I know his brother, George was killed at Chancellorville. You mention that you have a printed copy of the book,WinnDixie? Would you mind checking to see if your book has those pages and whether there is a sketch of him, as well?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #11
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default What a great thread...

As a history "nut" this is a very cool subject. Nice job, keep it going! Boardwalk Bluesboy and all others.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #12
WinnDixie

Default Some answers, Chickie.

That, again, has to be our John Page Davis...the wife is right. Here's where it gets confusing. He had brothers, Nathaniel S. and Charles O. All three of them served in the 12th NH. I get this from Stearns, Vol. One, Page 215. But, there was also a Charles A. Davis in the 12th. He and Charles O. were both in Co. G. In the 12th NH Regimental history, on page 700, there is a sketch on Nathaniel. On Pg. 654 there's one on Charles A. Note that after the war he lived in Manchester. I would have thought John Page Davis and his wife, Mary, would have deeded property to the brother, Charles O.--but, who knows?? John P. also lived in Laconia after the war..no idea where he acquired all that property he deeded out. We only heard of him living on the corner of Oak and North Main St. Boy, you've got be patient to look into all this stuff, haven't you??? I can remember a time all this genealogy would make me roll my eyes(shame on me!!), but it is taking hold of me now.

The other answer for you is: yes, we have those pages here in the book. The sketch of George H. Smith begins on page 668, and his picture is one of three on pg. 669. The sketch is short, so I'll copy the missing part here for you: "George H. Smith. This soldier, the descendent of a brave and patriotic ancestry, and the son of Joshua M. and Sally (Durgin) Smith was born in the town of Sanbornton, May, 1836. In December, 1859, he married Mary Bunker,of Tamworth, by whom he had one child, Austin, now living, who was a babe in his mother's arms when his father went to war." (it then goes on to pg.670).
I would try to copy these pages for you...if I had the remotest idea how to get your address! I know we are supposed to be able to (??PM??) one another...but I can hardly do a smilie...no idea how to do a PM!! Short of this, you can--for sure--see the actual book at Laconia Library...probably Gilford, too. Do you use Stearns-- Genealogy of NH? They have those, too. It, too, is loaded with info....four volumes, with an index in v.4.

Thanks again! I am about to get involved in a big family wedding, but I might try to work with you afterwards to access the Registry of Deeds...it certainly seems to help. What we really are wondering about is when John Rodney Davis (son of John Page) might have died...he is kind of the mystery for us right now.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #13
Chickie

Default Another Interesting Deed

There is a lot of food for thought in your last posting. Thanks for the information on George H. Smith. Unfortunately those few pages are missing in the on line version, which is very frustrating. I will check it out at the library. I will also look for the Stearns book you mention while there. Sounds like there must be a lot of “goodies” in that book which could prove most interesting.

As it turns out, I was in the same class as your husband. If your e-mail address hasn’t changed since the class reunion in 2005, I can send you a private note to help you in accessing the Registry of Deeds rather than giving instructions here. I see an e-mail address included in the booklet we all received at that time. I don’t want to post my e-mail address on line.

I found another deed on that site today pertaining to John P. It is for a parcel of land, with buildings thereon, at the corner of Oak and Main Streets, deeded to him from Sally Maloon in 1875. Was this perhaps his mother-in-law?
Old 11-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #14
WinnDixie

Default Message to you, Chickie!

Well...I kind of stumbled on--I hope!!--the way to send a Private Message...at least it is saying it is sent. So check your PM's...hope that isn't too hard either!! One way or another we will make contact! Russ has a "bet" on who you are...we'll see! And it'll stay secret!

It is a good guess Sally Maloon is John P.'s mother-in-law..but don't know for sure. I do have one other primary source I can try to glean knowledge from...I'll do it as soon as I can. This is more fun all the time! I am sure the Registry of Deeds site is full of clues. It will be great to look at. BTW, I am more and more in awe all the time of what a tremendous labor of love writing the 12th NH Regimantal history was. Think of having those pictures of the men, also.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:11 AM   #15
WeirsGuard

Default Question, Boardwalk Blues Boy

From childhood through my college years my family spent the summer at the New Hampshire Veteran's Association. We lived in the Sharpshooter's Building each year. Many friends and relatives rented buildings through out the summer and it was an ideal place to grow up, set right in the Weirs.

What always amazed me, and kindled my lifetime interest in History, was the treasure trove of Civil War artifacts contained in each of these buildings. Photographs, artwork, military equipment. Each building had a theme related to the regiments or units that stayed there. In addition, the Headquarters Building had a small upstairs museum containing an eclectic collection of items donated and collected by the veterans over the years. There were several muskets, (Harpers Ferry, 1858's), sabers, uniforms, more photos and atrwork and a stovepipe hat supposedly left behind by Lincoln during his travel East and picked up by a NH man working for the reailroad at the time, who fought in one of the NH Regimants during the war a few years later.

Over the years these items were pillfered or lost to fire. Concerned, my brother and I offered to catalog all the items in the mid 70's so they could be controlled and properly displayed. The Quartermaster at the time was not interested. In fact, he was later found to have sold off some of the items. I remember him even entertaining an offer for one of the Headquarter's cannon proffered by a South Carolina group who were camping on the site to participate in a battle re-enactment on the grounds.

Long story to get my question. Does anyone know what became of all the memorabilia? Has it been consolidated and stored? DO they still ahve teh museum?
WeirsGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #16
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickie View Post
I read with interest in this morning’s Laconia Citizen an article concerning a veteran of the Civil War, whose descendants have recently had a marker placed on his grave at Union Cemetery. According to the article, John Page Davis was with the 12th Regiment, N.H. Volunteers and was injured in the Battle of Gettysburg. He returned to Laconia where he lived out the remainder of his life and passed away in 1921. It is certainly a credit to his descendants who cared enough to accomplish this task and it is fitting that the stone has been laid as we approach Veterans’ Day.

When I visited the Gettysburg Battlefield many years ago, I remember pausing at the small monument dedicated to the 12th Regiment of the N.H. Volunteers. I am wondering if there are other descendants of Civil War veterans who may be members of this forum? It would be interesting to hear about them.
My great-great grandfather, Horace B Fuller (b. 1836, d. 1899) was in the Massachusetts 36th Regiment Infantry. After the war he became a publisher. He was the owner of "Merry's Museum", a children's periodical. His company was in Boston and hired Louisa May Alcott as an editor. She wrote about him in her diary but it wasn't very nice...

She also wrote poetry for the magazine. She was not happy with the editorial post: in early January 1868 she wrote in her journal, "F. pays me $500 a year for my name and some editorial work on Merry's Museum," but by 18 January she was writing, "F. seems to expect me to write the wholemagazine, which I did not bargain for."

Ref: http://www.bookrags.com/biography/lo...y-alcott-dlb3/

MASSACHUSETTS
36th Regiment Infantry

Organized at Worcester and mustered in August 30, 1862. Left State for Washington, D.C., September 2, thence moved to Leesburg, Md., September 9, and to Pleasant Valley. Attached to 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 9th Army Corps, Army Potomac, to April, 1863, and Dept. Ohio, to June, 1863. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 9th Army Corps, Dept. Ohio, and Army Tennessee, to August, 1863, and Dept. Ohio, to April, 1864. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 9th Army Corps, Army Potomac, to June, 1865.

SERVICE.--Duty at Pleasant Valley, Md., until October 26. March to Lovettsville, Va., October 26-29, and to Warrenton October 29-November 19. Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15. "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863. Moved to Newport News, Va., February 10, thence to Lexington, Ky., March 19-23. Duty at Camp Dick Robinson, Ky., April 9-30, and at Middleburg until May 23. March to Columbia May 23-26. Expedition toward Cumberland River after Morgan May 27-30. Jamestown June 2. Moved to Vicksburg, Miss., June 7-14. Siege of Vicksburg, Miss., June 14-July 4. Advance on Jackson, Miss., July 5-10. Siege of Jackson July 10-17. At Milldale until August 5. Moved to Covington, Ky., August 5-12, and to Crab Orchard August 17-18. March across Cumberland Mountains to East Tennessee September 10-22. Near Knoxville September 27-October 3. Action at Blue Springs October 10. At Lenoir October 29-November 14. Knoxville Campaign November-December. Lenoir Station November 14-15. Campbell's Station November 17. Siege of Knoxville November 17-December 4. Pursuit of Longstreet December 5-19. Operations in East Tennessee until March 21, 1864. Strawberry Plains January 21-22. Moved from Knoxville, Tenn., to Covington, Ky., thence to Annapolis, Md., March 21-April 6. Rapidan Campaign May-June, Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7; Spottsylvania May 8-12; Spottsylvania C. H. May 12-21. Assault on the Salient May 12. Stannard's Mills May 21. North Anna River May 23-26. On line of the Pamunkey May 26-28. Totopotomoy May 28-31. Cold Harbor June 1-12. Bethesda Church June 1-3. Before Petersburg June 16-18. Siege of Petersburg June 16, 1864, to April 2, 1865. Mine Explosion, Petersburg, July 30, 1864. Weldon Railroad August 18-21. Poplar Springs Church September 29-October 2. Boydton Plank Road, Hatcher's Run, October 27-28. At Fort Rice until April, 1865. Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9. Assault on and fall of Petersburg April 2. March to Farmville April 3-9. Moved to Petersburg and City Point, thence to Alexandria April 20-28. Grand Review May 23. Mustered out June 8, 1865, and discharged from service June 21, 1865.

Regiment lost during service 6 Officers and 105 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 3 Officers and 160 Enlisted men by disease. Total 274.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #17
Boardwalk Bluesboy

Smile NHVA Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsGuard View Post
From childhood through my college years my family spent the summer at the New Hampshire Veteran's Association. We lived in the Sharpshooter's Building each year. Many friends and relatives rented buildings through out the summer and it was an ideal place to grow up, set right in the Weirs.

What always amazed me, and kindled my lifetime interest in History, was the treasure trove of Civil War artifacts contained in each of these buildings. Photographs, artwork, military equipment. Each building had a theme related to the regiments or units that stayed there. In addition, the Headquarters Building had a small upstairs museum containing an eclectic collection of items donated and collected by the veterans over the years. There were several muskets, (Harpers Ferry, 1858's), sabers, uniforms, more photos and atrwork and a stovepipe hat supposedly left behind by Lincoln during his travel East and picked up by a NH man working for the reailroad at the time, who fought in one of the NH Regimants during the war a few years later.

Over the years these items were pillfered or lost to fire. Concerned, my brother and I offered to catalog all the items in the mid 70's so they could be controlled and properly displayed. The Quartermaster at the time was not interested. In fact, he was later found to have sold off some of the items. I remember him even entertaining an offer for one of the Headquarter's cannon proffered by a South Carolina group who were camping on the site to participate in a battle re-enactment on the grounds.

Long story to get my question. Does anyone know what became of all the memorabilia? Has it been consolidated and stored? DO they still ahve teh museum?
WeirsGuard, I have some very good news. In a letter dated November 7, 2008, Dennis Covey, the President of the NHVA, wrote to the NHVA membership as follows:

Quote:
We took some big steps this year towards a goal that has been on our back-burner for a number of years. And that is our museum. This year I appointed a new historian to take over for Ken Leidner who had been doing it for a number of years, but due to health issues wasn't able to continue as we have expanded that role.

With the approval of our Board of Directors and then a By-Law change which was approved at the annual meeting the role has been redefined to Historian/Museum Director. Charlie Toutant has stepped into that job and has begun to make some real progress in turning our dream into reality. He has met with with an architect and museum experts and this looks like it will finally happen.
I checked the bylaws, and the key part of section 10 reads as follows:
It shall be the duty of the Historian/Museum Director to be responsible for the collection, categorization and storage of all artifacts of historical consequence of the NHVA...and to supervise training of all docent volunteers for the museum, and to set the hours of operation and manage the exhibit.

I believe that the NHVA has always had in mind the former Jean's Cafe/Elvio's/Mike's NY Pizza building as the location for the museum. This is on the site of where the 3rd regiment building burnt down in 1924, to the left of the NHVA HQ. I don't know for sure that this is where the museum would be located, but the building is currently vacant, so I'd say its a high probability.

I think it would a great addition to the area, so I wish them the best of luck.
Boardwalk Bluesboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:40 PM   #18
Donzi18

Default William F.Knapton 11th Ma.Infantry 1861-64

My great great grandfather William F.Knapton b.1842 was a ship rigger in Boston before he joined the Union Army. He was wounded captured and escaped then made it back to Boston to father six children. He received a pension then died. The churches found homes for his orphans in Henniker, NH where I was raised. Now I live on the lake in Gilford. My great aunt Muriel Knapton was married to Leon Fortin, he had a flooring and rug cleaning business on Gilford Ave. where Bolduc Park is now. He had a race track there for his harness racing horses. He put the floors in the Laconia State School/County Farm.
John F.Buxton Veteran U.S.Army 293rd Engr.Bn.1971-4
Donzi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:07 AM   #19
HEP170DW

Default 12th NH

I am a member of the 5th NHVI Reenactors. We make an annual trip to Gettysburg for Remembrance Day in Nov. around the weekend anniversary of the Gettysburg address. Each year we get a permit to march in the park with full uniform and muskets and we choose to stop at various memorials and a volunteer will read of the actions which occurred there. Two years ago I chose the 12th NH (I live in Northfield and this area was a major recruiting ground for the 12th). I have studied the Battle fairly well and the 12th's actions on Day 2 is quite a story.

From the memorial: "Our Union is river, lake, ocean and sky;
Man breaks not the medal, when God cuts the die"

The NH Mountaineers
HEP170DW is offline   Reply With Quote