Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
bigdog
Senior Member
 
bigdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central MA-Gilford
Posts: 971
Thanks: 126
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Default Stove Pellets ?

Having a pellet stove installed in a few weeks.
Quadrafire Mt. Vernon pellet stove !

Need pellets for next winter season, suggestions on where to purchase and 'Brands' to buy ?

Thanks !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #2
Glendale Girl
Member
 
Glendale Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 38
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I get them from Gilford True Value. They have a early buy usually in June. They deliver free unlike Lowes that charge you. I use the Green Supreme.
Glendale Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:22 PM   #3
SAB1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rowley MA / Tuftonboro
Posts: 739
Thanks: 107
Thanked 172 Times in 126 Posts
Default

The green supreme seem to be the common pellet up there as I have found. There are much better pellets out there though. I burned green supreme this year and they were full of fines, high ash output and didnít seem to have the heat output. I burned three or four years ago as well and I thought they were better back then. Iíll be switching next season and will haul them up from Hampton if nothing better local. Been burning pellets about 15 years now down in Mass. All things considered I think I could just run my heat (natural gas) and it would price out very close. Up at camp propane is higher price so saving a few bucks there.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:12 AM   #4
pjard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Gilford, NH
Posts: 573
Thanks: 351
Thanked 168 Times in 88 Posts
Default

Go to Woodpellets.com and buy the Granules LG. Very little ash and Woodpellets.com is NH based company.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:36 AM   #5
Loub52
Senior Member
 
Loub52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Meredith, NH
Posts: 72
Thanks: 36
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
Go to Woodpellets.com and buy the Granules LG. Very little ash and Woodpellets.com is NH based company.
A good choice and I think they offer a price break at 3 tons. For a nominal fee, theyíll also place them in a garage or sheltered area if you have an area accessible by a motorized pallet jack.
__________________
Thanks,
Loub52
Loub52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2019, 09:14 AM   #6
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 257
Thanks: 1
Thanked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Default pellets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Having a pellet stove installed in a few weeks.
Quadrafire Mt. Vernon pellet stove !

Need pellets for next winter season, suggestions on where to purchase and 'Brands' to buy ?

Thanks !
I don't know what is available in your area but in North Conway area a friend of mine and myself use CUBEX. Great pellet, no issues, we both burn them in Harman stoves.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
SAB1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rowley MA / Tuftonboro
Posts: 739
Thanks: 107
Thanked 172 Times in 126 Posts
Default

Just and FYI I went on Woodpellets.com and they do not deliver to my Tuftonboro area.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:02 PM   #8
TheTimeTraveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 200
Thanks: 32
Thanked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Just and FYI I went on Woodpellets.com and they do not deliver to my Tuftonboro area.
On the Woodpellets.com website try punching in the zip code 03894 and you will see there is a retailer in Wolfeboro Falls.

I don't know, but they may somehow be able to assist you delivery of the woodpellets (since presumably they received the same products for retailing).

Just a thought......
TheTimeTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:20 PM   #9
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,311
Thanks: 1,532
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,199 Posts
Default Price?

Whatís everybody paying for pellets these days? I canít see a benefit / savings to burning pellets at $250.00 per ton as a primary heat source, itís cheaper to turn the oil burner on and has been for the past couple winters...

Has the price of pellets come down that much?

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:38 PM   #10
SAB1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rowley MA / Tuftonboro
Posts: 739
Thanks: 107
Thanked 172 Times in 126 Posts
Default

No Dan they have not. Most decent pellets are running between $275 - $310 a ton depending on what you get. That's the only reason I took the Green Supreme last year at $250. It not cheap and I agree the costs against turning up the thermostat are not far off and using the thermostat gives you a uniformly warm house, less mess and a better back!
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 07:19 PM   #11
pjard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Gilford, NH
Posts: 573
Thanks: 351
Thanked 168 Times in 88 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Whatís everybody paying for pellets these days? I canít see a benefit / savings to burning pellets at $250.00 per ton as a primary heat source, itís cheaper to turn the oil burner on and has been for the past couple winters...

Has the price of pellets come down that much?

Dan
Dan

I have solar panels as well and typically late fall I still have "banked" electricity to use for "free". I've done the math and you are right. Pellets don't save you a dime if you have oil or even a high efficiency heat pump. However, it's a much nicer heat. It's pretty much concentrated in the room you are in (we have two stoves). It's probably break even at best but we burn about 3 tons a year. Again, it's just a nice warm heat on a cold night.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pjard For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (05-29-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 10:55 AM   #12
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 257
Thanks: 1
Thanked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Default pelletts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
Dan

I have solar panels as well and typically late fall I still have "banked" electricity to use for "free". I've done the math and you are right. Pellets don't save you a dime if you have oil or even a high efficiency heat pump. However, it's a much nicer heat. It's pretty much concentrated in the room you are in (we have two stoves). It's probably break even at best but we burn about 3 tons a year. Again, it's just a nice warm heat on a cold night.
Totally agree, the primary heat source in the duplex up north is propane hot air, propane in North Conway is not cheap either plus the pellet stove keeps the common area we are in most of the time warm and comfortable evenly all the time while running. Primary heat source once it gets to set temp shuts off and it feels cold even though its at set temp. Not with pellet stove, continues to distribute warm air.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:18 PM   #13
JC19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 64
Thanks: 7
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

If you can get Vermont pellets go with them. I go through 4 pallets a season and they are amazing. Tried several other brands and they donít burn as hot and have 5x the ash amount in the tray (meaning you need to clean your stove far more frequently).

I get mine at Home and Hearth in Hampton, NH and truck them home.
JC19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:50 PM   #14
SAB1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rowley MA / Tuftonboro
Posts: 739
Thanks: 107
Thanked 172 Times in 126 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC19 View Post
If you can get Vermont pellets go with them. I go through 4 pallets a season and they are amazing. Tried several other brands and they donít burn as hot and have 5x the ash amount in the tray (meaning you need to clean your stove far more frequently).

I get mine at Home and Hearth in Hampton, NH and truck them home.
I have always been curious about those but the $310 a ton has kept me away. Those are a softwood pellet, white pine I believe and I figured they probably burned fast. If you burn a hardwood pellet do you go thru less?
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:38 AM   #15
Slickcraft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Welch Island and West Alton
Posts: 2,550
Thanks: 808
Thanked 1,405 Times in 644 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
I have always been curious about those but the $310 a ton has kept me away. Those are a softwood pellet, white pine I believe and I figured they probably burned fast. If you burn a hardwood pellet do you go thru less?
The best pellets we ever had were softwood from western Canada. Have not seen them here for many years. Low ash and very good heat output.

Softwood, hardwood or a blend; a bag still contains 40 lbs of dry compressed cellulose. Softwood pellets normally have slightly higher BTU per pound due to the resin. Any good pellet stove will have automatic combustion control with an exhaust temperature sensor and auto adjustment of the pellet feed rate. So with our Harman it would take slightly less softwood pellets to get the same overall heat output.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.10113 seconds