Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
bigdog
Senior Member
 
bigdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central MA-Gilford
Posts: 971
Thanks: 126
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Default Need Mass Car Inspection

Need Mass Car Inspection !

My car is at the lake and need to find a inspection shop in Mass near the border, preferably close to US-3 or I93.

My home town is Central MA, 2 hours away, and don't want to make the drive back, just to get car inspected.

Suggestions ?
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
Phantom
Senior Member
 
Phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hudson, Ma / Gilford
Posts: 1,763
Thanks: 340
Thanked 517 Times in 295 Posts
Default

Good lord...... just about any gas station across the border can do THAT !

.
__________________
A bad day on the Big Lake (although I've never had one) - Still beats a day at the office!!
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,453
Thanks: 657
Thanked 674 Times in 395 Posts
Default

And unless it's a new car, you've got 19 more days!
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
bigdog
Senior Member
 
bigdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central MA-Gilford
Posts: 971
Thanks: 126
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Good lord...... just about any gas station across the border can do THAT !

.

You are correct, I just don't know locations over the boarder.

Up here in NH, believe it or not, some gas stations make appts for Inspections, at least around the lake.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #5
Phantom
Senior Member
 
Phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hudson, Ma / Gilford
Posts: 1,763
Thanks: 340
Thanked 517 Times in 295 Posts
Default

I am so confused ..... you live in Central MA and are asking this why ?

There is probably no less than 10 gas stations on Rte 3A near the Pheasant Lane Mall (on the MA side)

Same is true of Rte 213/28 in Methuen



.
__________________
A bad day on the Big Lake (although I've never had one) - Still beats a day at the office!!
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #6
CentHarb_Ray
Junior Member
 
CentHarb_Ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Center Harbor
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Most Jiffy-Lube and other oil change places also do drive-up inspections, at least they do in NH.

CHR
CentHarb_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #7
8gv
Senior Member
 
8gv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,139
Thanks: 23
Thanked 333 Times in 206 Posts
Default

MA has a website with all inspection locations listed. Happy googling!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #8
LIforrelaxin
Senior Member
 
LIforrelaxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Posts: 2,263
Thanks: 792
Thanked 653 Times in 354 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Need Mass Car Inspection !

My car is at the lake and need to find a inspection shop in Mass near the border, preferably close to US-3 or I93.

My home town is Central MA, 2 hours away, and don't want to make the drive back, just to get car inspected.

Suggestions ?
Bigdog,

Don't sweat the small details.... I am sure if you pull off the highway, there will be a place to do inspections.... Any car dealer for instance.....

beside which you have until the end of the month to get the inspection completed, I am sure there will be a few rainy days between now and then, and a drive home for a night will not be that much of an inconvenience.

Last unless you are a young Hooligan chances of getting caught in Aug, if you wait until then immediately as you come into the state are slim.... I have been known to miss my inspection by a month more then once....
__________________
Life is about how much time you can spend relaxing... I do it on an island that isn't really an island.....
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #9
tummyman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 423
Thanks: 58
Thanked 306 Times in 104 Posts
Default

This is NOT AD ICE......but I would not sweat it......my son was three months over his date and nobody noticed. NH probably could care less unless you get pulled over for some other issue and then I don't think they can enforce it. Just do it the next time you are in MA....not worth the gas to drive an hour + to get to an inspection station. Letting it go for a month or two may get you a better monthly date for the future.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #10
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,853
Thanks: 533
Thanked 355 Times in 245 Posts
Default

I know when I use to be a Mass inspection station we could do inspections on out of state cars and put our Mass sticker on the car. I would think a NH inspection station could do the same although they get more money for there inspections than in Mass.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #11
ITD
Senior Member
 
ITD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Massachusetts and Moultonboro, NH
Posts: 2,316
Thanks: 343
Thanked 424 Times in 245 Posts
Default

I do believe that Mass inspection ticket is a violation that counts toward a surcharge now.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #12
Seaplane Pilot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 881
Thanks: 313
Thanked 493 Times in 188 Posts
Default

In NH, you can go to DMV and get a "pass" of sorts, which allows you to drive your vehicle on a certain day without an inspection sticker, with the idea that you are taking the vehicle from one place to another. I did this once a few years ago, and sure enough got stopped by the local cops for an expired inspection sticker. I presented the DMV "pass" and the cop just shook his head and said he had never seen such a thing. Said have a nice day and walked away.

Maybe Mass offers something similar?
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #13
chipj29
Senior Member
 
chipj29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bow
Posts: 1,859
Thanks: 496
Thanked 290 Times in 154 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
This is NOT AD ICE......but I would not sweat it......my son was three months over his date and nobody noticed. NH probably could care less unless you get pulled over for some other issue and then I don't think they can enforce it. Just do it the next time you are in MA....not worth the gas to drive an hour + to get to an inspection station. Letting it go for a month or two may get you a better monthly date for the future.
No offense tummyman, but I don't think this is very good advice. NH can, and absolutely WILL enforce inspection sticker violations. Been there, done that, got the ticket to prove it.
Oh, and saving the $10 in gas to not drive to MA? Also not good advice, as my ticket was well over $10.

bigdog, as was suggested upthread, pick a rainy day (today might be good) and head south to the border.
__________________
Getting ready for winter!
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #14
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 546
Thanks: 291
Thanked 150 Times in 95 Posts
Default

I'm with Chip and ITD. Actually, it's even worse. If you are pulled over in Mass without a valid inspection sticker, the police can impound the car. My wife was pulled over in her pristine looking car less than 1 mile from our Mass home, and they towed her. Unbelievable. If you can't get the sticker on time, sneak in to the closest station.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #15
bigdog
Senior Member
 
bigdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central MA-Gilford
Posts: 971
Thanks: 126
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
No offense tummyman, but I don't think this is very good advice. NH can, and absolutely WILL enforce inspection sticker violations. Been there, done that, got the ticket to prove it.
Oh, and saving the $10 in gas to not drive to MA? Also not good advice, as my ticket was well over $10.

bigdog, as was suggested upthread, pick a rainy day (today might be good) and head south to the border.

Thanks Chip, will make a run to Mass on a rainy day next week, and get the car inspected.

I found several places over the line in Mass one in Tyngsboro the other Methuen, both places mainly service Trucks but also will do cars.
Hope to get in-out quick !

Not sure if I mentioned, but the car is registered in Mass and current !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #16
TheTimeTraveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 199
Thanks: 31
Thanked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I do believe that Mass inspection ticket is a violation that counts toward a surcharge now.


YES, it is considered a moving violation and there is a surcharge on your insurance for three years.

With that said, it's better to get it on time than be late!





.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #17
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,853
Thanks: 533
Thanked 355 Times in 245 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
I'm with Chip and ITD. Actually, it's even worse. If you are pulled over in Mass without a valid inspection sticker, the police can impound the car. My wife was pulled over in her pristine looking car less than 1 mile from our Mass home, and they towed her. Unbelievable. If you can't get the sticker on time, sneak in to the closest station.
I never heard of anyone getting their car towed just because of an expired inspection sticker. Usually they will only tow your car if the registration or the insurance has expired unless they find something on the car that they feel is dangerous to drive. Or if it failed inspection for a safety item and it was not fixed.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #18
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 546
Thanks: 291
Thanked 150 Times in 95 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I never heard of anyone getting their car towed just because of an expired inspection sticker. Usually they will only tow your car if the registration or the insurance has expired unless they find something on the car that they feel is dangerous to drive. Or if it failed inspection for a safety item and it was not fixed.
I'm not surprised you don't quite believe it, but as I noted above--car was pristine. And just to be clear--a late model BMW driven by a suburban Mom, not violating any (other) traffic laws, in Wayland, MA. Stopped because he saw her sticker was out of date. Moron of a police officer (and I generally like the police) refused to even let her drive 5 minutes to home or gas station because of PD "liability issues" if something happened.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:10 PM   #19
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,853
Thanks: 533
Thanked 355 Times in 245 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
I'm not surprised you don't quite believe it, but as I noted above--car was pristine. And just to be clear--a late model BMW driven by a suburban Mom, not violating any (other) traffic laws, in Wayland, MA. Stopped because he saw her sticker was out of date. Moron of a police officer (and I generally like the police) refused to even let her drive 5 minutes to home or gas station because of PD "liability issues" if something happened.
Now that you mention the town of Wayland I believe you. I use to have a gas station with an inspection station in Wayland. One day I was working on a customers car and I took it for my usual road test around the block. I was stopped by a Wayland cop a block from my shop because the registration was expired and he called a tow truck. They were going to impound the car but I did manage to convince him to have them tow it back to my shop after promising I would not let the customer drive it away with out a renewed registration.

Last edited by Biggd; 07-14-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:20 AM   #20
Donzi Minx
Senior Member
 
Donzi Minx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Melrose, Mass.
Posts: 143
Thanks: 0
Thanked 120 Times in 33 Posts
Thumbs up Need Mass Car Inspection

I try and get it done as soon as the month turns, just the obsessive compulsive in me. Oldest son had a problem with his Taurus, (check engine light) and the car would not pass inspection.

After about two months time I finally asked him are you going to get it fixed or risk the fine. Bless the millennial thought process, "I'm all set Dad, the R stands for ready".
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #21
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,853
Thanks: 533
Thanked 355 Times in 245 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi Minx View Post
I try and get it done as soon as the month turns, just the obsessive compulsive in me. Oldest son had a problem with his Taurus, (check engine light) and the car would not pass inspection.

After about two months time I finally asked him are you going to get it fixed or risk the fine. Bless the millennial thought process, "I'm all set Dad, the R stands for ready".
Sounds like my daughter. Whenever she askes me to take her car for an oil change it's always on empty. One day I got in it and the gas light was flashing and it was on dead empty. I called her up and told her I didn't think I even had enough gas to make it to work, 10 miles. She says, "when it starts flashing I usually have another 30 miles".
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #22
ITD
Senior Member
 
ITD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Massachusetts and Moultonboro, NH
Posts: 2,316
Thanks: 343
Thanked 424 Times in 245 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi Minx View Post
I try and get it done as soon as the month turns, just the obsessive compulsive in me. Oldest son had a problem with his Taurus, (check engine light) and the car would not pass inspection.

After about two months time I finally asked him are you going to get it fixed or risk the fine. Bless the millennial thought process, "I'm all set Dad, the R stands for ready".
I usually end up doing it on the first or second day of the month following the expiration month. My inspection station is close by.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #23
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 1,503
Thanks: 230
Thanked 844 Times in 348 Posts
Default Waiver Available

Massachusetts can suspend your registration if your inspection is 60 days past due. Some people may think that the violation is for the inspection but the car may be unregistered if it is more than 60 days past the inspection due date.

You can fill out a waiver form if the vehicle is out of state and you must have it inspected within 3 days of your return to Massachusetts.

http://www.massrmv.com/Portals/30/docs/21307.pdf

NH has a similar program but I think it is 7 days after you return. I used it when bringing a NH registered vehicle back from Florida.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.30023 seconds