Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #1
Garcia

Default Fly fishing

Anyone out there fly fish on Winnipesaukee? If so, any tips to get a new lake fly fisherman started?
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:49 PM   #2
Hillcountry

I assume you are talking about casting a fly (typical fly fishing) where you use a floating line and fly to match a hatch?
Just go to a quiet cove or nearby river and have at it! The Pemigewasset river near Bristol is amazing! Itís shallow and you can wade with water shoes or sneakers. You can access the river from Profile Falls. If you go there you turn
Left onto a dirt road before the Smith river and it takes you to the main Pemi river. The river at Profile Falls is where the Smith River dumps into the Pemi.
Itís a great spot for family activities like tubing etc. try your luck on some native brookies there! Itís also stocked by fish and game.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Garcia (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
Garcia

I've done lots of river fly fishing and lots of spin fishing for bass on the lake. I've never really tried fly fishing on Winnipesaukee and am wondering if others have had much luck. I don't care too much about what I'm fly fishing for - just looking for some ideas to get myself started.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
Hillcountry

All fish love to eat flies so anywhere you cast one you will get action! Just let the fly sit a moment and retrieve it slowly while twitching it slightly and stop momentarily. On a river you float the fly in the current, obviously. On Winni, shallow water near structure like rocks and Lilly pads and docks should give some action.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Garcia (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
Hillcountry

I just remembered something (been a long time since I did fly fishing)
You can buy these little “poppers” for fly fishing! They really attract some fish! As you strip the line in they make a popping noise that drives fish crazy!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #6
Chris M

Get yourself a slow sinking line and some #10 beadhead woolly buggers in just about any color and try all different retrieves around structure in up to 10 feet of water and be prepared to catch all different kinds of fish.

Also get a floating line and some #4 or #6 bass bugs or poppers for the top water bite early am and late evening. A lot of fun.
Chris M is offline   Reply With Quote