Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
dpg
Senior Member
 
dpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,440
Thanks: 137
Thanked 211 Times in 153 Posts
Default Silly Oil Question

I've got 4.5 quarts of one particular brand of synthetic oil and I cannot find another new quart of the same kind (brand.) Would it be ok to top off the half quart with another brand synthetic of the same weight and just use it for an oil change in my car? It's Shell and I've been to two stations, Wally Mart and an auto parts store None have the exact thing I'm sitting on.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
That Guy
Senior Member
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 182
Thanks: 37
Thanked 74 Times in 43 Posts
Default

I don't see why not. What's the vehicle? If its like a 2015 with 5,000 miles I'd hold out only because I'm nit-picky. If its a 1991 Tercel with 312,000 run whatever is on the shelf.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
dpg
Senior Member
 
dpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,440
Thanks: 137
Thanked 211 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
I don't see why not. What's the vehicle? If its like a 2015 with 5,000 miles I'd hold out only because I'm nit-picky. If its a 1991 Tercel with 312,000 run whatever is on the shelf.
Yeah I'm nit-picky about things like that also why I'm "nervous" to do it. '09 Honda but runs awesome with 85,000 miles on it.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
That Guy
Senior Member
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 182
Thanks: 37
Thanked 74 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Pffft. Run it.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to That Guy For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 09:21 PM   #5
songkrai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 688
Thanks: 34
Thanked 139 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Most motor oils today are part synthetic anyway.
Don't think it makes any difference whatsoever.

But here is a link to a dedicated web site just for motor oil.

LINK
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2015, 07:02 AM   #6
dpg
Senior Member
 
dpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,440
Thanks: 137
Thanked 211 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Thanks...Had one more stop near the house and low and behold they did have the same oil on the shelf. Of course the damn quart was just north of 8.00 but hey the other four were free so still a cheap oil change overall. In retrospect I would have mixed with another brand to get by but maybe I'll sleep just a little better knowing it's all the same brand.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #7
VitaBene
Senior Member
 
VitaBene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 3,122
Thanks: 1,250
Thanked 1,375 Times in 688 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Thanks...Had one more stop near the house and low and behold they did have the same oil on the shelf. Of course the damn quart was just north of 8.00 but hey the other four were free so still a cheap oil change overall. In retrospect I would have mixed with another brand to get by but maybe I'll sleep just a little better knowing it's all the same brand.
The more important detail is the specification. You can get a headache quickly!! http://www.oilspecifications.org/
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:34 AM   #8
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,028
Thanks: 603
Thanked 686 Times in 424 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Yeah I'm nit-picky about things like that also why I'm "nervous" to do it. '09 Honda but runs awesome with 85,000 miles on it.
I could be wrong but you shouldn't need more than 4.5 quarts of oil even if it is a V6 Honda engine. It's better to have a little less oil than to have too much anyway. My guess is that you don't need that extra quart.
__________________
It's never crowded along the extra mile.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
Kamper
Senior Member
 
Kamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Thornton's Ferry
Posts: 1,202
Thanks: 65
Thanked 144 Times in 108 Posts
Default

You should be fine but if you have serious doubts, check the lab marks. If they are the same you will be fine.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #10
gf2020
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 203
Thanks: 11
Thanked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I could be wrong but you shouldn't need more than 4.5 quarts of oil even if it is a V6 Honda engine. It's better to have a little less oil than to have too much anyway. My guess is that you don't need that extra quart.
Many newer cars use more than 4 quarts for an oil change. My 2010 Toyota Tundra holds eight quarts, for example.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:56 AM   #11
dpg
Senior Member
 
dpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,440
Thanks: 137
Thanked 211 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Many newer cars use more than 4 quarts for an oil change. My 2010 Toyota Tundra holds eight quarts, for example.
Yes that's a V8 truck (I'm assuming) my son has a V8 Ram and his takes 7 quarts. Most cars (again only most) take 5.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #12
SIKSUKR
Senior Member
 
SIKSUKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,073
Thanks: 215
Thanked 895 Times in 506 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Yes that's a V8 truck (I'm assuming) my son has a V8 Ram and his takes 7 quarts. Most cars (again only most) take 5.
Interesting enough is that my suv, Gmc Envoy has a v-8 and holds 5 quarts. My friend has the same Chevy version with a v-6 and it holds 6.
__________________
SIKSUKR
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.27265 seconds