Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
sea_n_ski
Member
 
sea_n_ski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Atkinson & Meredith, NH
Posts: 45
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default We have the most idiots in our cove

My children love to wakeboard and ski. We get up as early as possible before the crazies come out. We had company up recently and they were learning to wake board. I had a beginner in a water and along comes a boat where the spotter was filming a skier. They almost ran us over filming. Check out the picture where this guy comes within a few feet of another beginner. What are these people thinking?

{Moderator note: The picture was removed by request of the boat owner. For those who didn't see the picture, it showed a boat at headway speed being passed by a water skier at full speed. It appeared that the distance between the two was less than 150'}
sea_n_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
gtagrip
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 301
Thanks: 115
Thanked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Default

I see by the bow numbers that this boat is registered in CT. Most likely is not aware of the 150' rule here in NH.
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
Kracken
Senior Member
 
Kracken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Alton
Posts: 223
Thanks: 46
Thanked 130 Times in 50 Posts
Default

I am pretty sure I know who that dude is. Last week he forgot his plug at the ramp.
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
NoBozo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Portsmouth. RI
Posts: 2,233
Thanks: 402
Thanked 459 Times in 307 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtagrip View Post
I see by the bow numbers that this boat is registered in CT. Most likely is not aware of the 150' rule here in NH.

The CT boat is going at No Wake speed..Off Plane...probably less than 6mph. The 150' rule doesn't apply to him does it..? He's already going Legally Slow.

So in this case, who is the burdened vessel..? The Ski boat or the other boat..and who is required to stay out of the way of the other.? Just wondering. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Kracken (08-25-2010)
Old 08-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
VitaBene
Senior Member
 
VitaBene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 3,122
Thanks: 1,250
Thanked 1,375 Times in 688 Posts
Default 150'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
The CT boat is going at No Wake speed..Off Plane...probably less than 6mph. The 150' rule doesn't apply to him does it..? He's already going Legally Slow.

So in this case, who is the burdened vessel..? The Ski boat or the other boat..and who is required to stay out of the way of the other.? Just wondering. NB
The pic is a little difficult to decipher but I think you are correct. The 150' does not apply to the CT boat IMO.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
SIKSUKR
Senior Member
 
SIKSUKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,073
Thanks: 215
Thanked 895 Times in 506 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
The pic is a little difficult to decipher but I think you are correct. The 150' does not apply to the CT boat IMO.
Agreed,and where is the spotter that's filming and where's the skier for that matter?Kind of tough to run you over when he's barely moving.
__________________
SIKSUKR
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
VitaBene
Senior Member
 
VitaBene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 3,122
Thanks: 1,250
Thanked 1,375 Times in 688 Posts
Default Opposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
1) My understanding of the O.P. is that the Connecticut boat was towing a skier, and failed to maintain the 150-foot distance required by law.

2) The Connecticut boat (to my eyes) was going fast enough to tow a skier. Perhaps the Webmaster can "crop" the photo to remove the registration and helmsman, in clarification and fairness to further discussion of this most-worthy of topics.

(But I think we have the most idiots in our cove).


I don't think the O.P. (original poster) would have brought his gripe here if he'd been the burdened boat.
I know you may not be able to see the pic, but the opposite was true. Th CT bowrider was right and the Ski boat operator and OP was wrong. IMO

The CT boat was making no cavitation out of the stern.

I am not going to argue with you regarding your cove having the most idiots.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
VtSteve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,313
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 230
Thanked 358 Times in 167 Posts
Default

I'm beginning to realize why the picture was deleted
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #9
VitaBene
Senior Member
 
VitaBene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 3,122
Thanks: 1,250
Thanked 1,375 Times in 688 Posts
Default

APS, If you want to post new info, please start a new post, if you are out of posts for the day (there must be a reason for that) then wait until tomorrow. Your posts are hard enough to follow without us trying to figure out what is new and old. At least put the new edited stuff in italics or something.

I saw the pic, studied the pic, the CT boat was barely moving (MAKING NO WAKE). Admit that you may be wrong for once. For some reason all of the others that saw the pic felt the same way I did.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-26-2010), Irrigation Guy (08-26-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,493
Thanks: 929
Thanked 433 Times in 317 Posts
Default You know, We Shouldn't be Using the Term "Idiots"...

I was out of our five alloted posts 'cause it was r-a-i-n-i-n-g!

It is sunny today, so I'm going s-a-i-l-i-n-g—it's unlikely I'll need five posts to-day.

VitaBene wrote:
Quote:
For some reason all of the others that saw the pic felt the same way I did.
That's not what I am see-ing.

The first two replies strongly suggest that "MAKING NO WAKE" was not even considered.

How 'bout requesting the photo—which would still exist—by PM, privately, and sending a copy to me. I'll crop the boat in half horizontally, omitting the beings or letterings that would be objectionable.

VitaBene wrote:
Quote:
I know you may not be able to see the pic, but the opposite was true. The CT bowrider was right and the Ski boat operator and OP was wrong. IMO
You're entitled to your opinion, but you can't see the boat, either!

VitaBene wrote:
Quote:
The CT boat was making no cavitation out of the stern.
Cavitation, when present, is seen at the propel-ler. If what you think you saw was a clean sheet of water, then he was on plane.

Member NoBozo, whom I respect as a sailor, may not be familiar with ski-boats; however, ski-boats regularly travel with their bow normally depressed in the wa-ter.

VitaBene wrote:
Quote:
I am not going to argue with you regarding your cove having the most idiots.
'Wouldn't have it any other way. Viewed from dock or porch, it's always greatly enter-taining!

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
lakewinnie
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Moultonborough and CT
Posts: 14
Thanks: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 2 Posts
Default Have to say my piece

I have tried to stay off the reply button on this thread, but after APS's last post, I feel I need to reply.

I am the owner of the boat in question. I requested that the photo be deleted. I was upset that this picture was posted with the accusation that I had violated the 150' rule and was an "idiot". I have been boating on Winnipesaukee for over 20 years and am very familiar with the 150' rule. Violations of this rule, I believe, are pervasive and, in my opinion, the most serious safety issue on the lake, which is why I try my best to keep at least 150' away from other boats (and their water skiers or tubers) when on plane. I support and applaud all efforts to educate unknowing boaters of this rule as well as other boating safety issues.

Over the past month, I have seen numerous violations of the 150' rule, even by boats towing skiers and tubers. I know where this picture was taken and had experienced the violation of the 150' rule by other boats on more than one occasion in this same area. The picture appeared to capture one of those moments - but not with me being the violator of the rule.

APS - you are wrong on a number of points. I know. I was there.

First off, my boat is a bow rider and not a ski or wakeboard boat. My boat begins to throw a noticeable wake at around 1200 RPMs. When on plane, considerable spray emanates from the corners of my transom. Judging from the condition of the water surrounding my boat in the picture, and knowing how I operate my vessel, I estimate that I was running between 600 and 1000 RPMS (my normal headway range).

Secondly, the O.P. states that I was towing someone and that someone on my boat was taping the waterskier. My waterski line attaches to a tow cleat at the top of the transom above the swim platform, and from pictures we have taken, is clearly visible when attached (especially to the tow cleat). There is no tow line attached to my boat in the picture that was posted on this thread. Also, I am the only person in the boat (unless someone was in the bow that day and is blocked from view by the person being towed by the O.P.). However, my observer generally sits in the rear-facing seat behind my passenger seat. And I have never towed anyone without a legal observer in my boat.

I hope this clears things up. I appreciate the fact that other knowledgeable boaters noticed some of the things I just mentioned above.

Oh, and by the way - even though I'm from CT, I have never forgotten the plug on any of the boats I have owned over the years. At times, I have forgotten half of the items that my wife asked me to pick up at the supermarket, but I have never forgotten the plug in the boat!
lakewinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lakewinnie For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-27-2010), chipj29 (08-27-2010), ishoot308 (08-27-2010), Merrymeeting (08-27-2010), NoBozo (08-27-2010), Rattlesnake Guy (08-26-2010), Ryan (08-27-2010), Seeker (08-27-2010), VitaBene (08-26-2010), VtSteve (08-27-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #12
Rattlesnake Guy
Senior Member
 
Rattlesnake Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,254
Thanks: 423
Thanked 365 Times in 174 Posts
Default

Lakewinnie,
Nice post. I hope we hear from you more often. We need more calm and logical members to help our average.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:00 AM   #13
VtSteve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,313
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 230
Thanked 358 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Don, was this your MODERATOR's Note?

Quote:
{Moderator note: The picture was removed by request of the boat owner. For those who didn't see the picture, it showed a boat at headway speed being passed by a water skier at full speed. It appeared that the distance between the two was less than 150'}
Did anyone read that?
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:13 AM   #14
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,493
Thanks: 929
Thanked 433 Times in 317 Posts
Question Pants on Fire? Maybe not so much...

If the boat previously pictured wasn't a ski-boat, then my recollection of the photo-details was deficient.

I'd have to ask NHMP Lt. Dunleavey about the fact of his approximate speed.

When this forum is actually given the fact of physical evidence (such as a photograph), it will get a thorough "going-over".

The OP was "too-smart-by-half", and needs to be recalled to the winni.com witness stand for one more question.

Last edited by ApS; 08-27-2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: removed "however"
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #15
sea_n_ski
Member
 
sea_n_ski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Atkinson & Meredith, NH
Posts: 45
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default I posted the picture

Just to clear things up, I was referring to two separate incidents in my original post. I apologize for the confusion. The CT boat was not filming or pulling a waterskiier. That was another incident I was referring to.

He did however in my opinion exhibit poor behavior as a boater. The situation occurred out side the mouth of Sally's gut. I was traveling south, with Stonedam Island on my right. When you have are towing a waterskier and meet someone head on, they should yield to you. I was going straight as far over to the right as possible since there are rocks in the cove on the right side . He should have gone to my left. Instead he cut in front of me (my left to my right) and came very close to my wakeboarder. The picture told the story and and clear. I don't care how many years you have been boating sir, you scared a poor little girl who was just learning how to wake board. You came too close.
sea_n_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.15127 seconds