Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2020, 05:25 PM   #1
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Shoreline erosion

The discussion on wake boats, as did the speed limit discussion years ago often brought up the question of shoreline erosion. Mostly unprovable unless you have 50 year old pictures or some other "proof".
I watch all the dredging in FL followed by concrete seawalls to prevent erosion. If some folks, esp. in coves, could drop in a few Jersey barriers, natural back fill might solve the erosion problem. Maybe some FL winter residents could supply some expertise that we seem to lack in Concord?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:50 PM   #2
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
The discussion on wake boats, as did the speed limit discussion years ago often brought up the question of shoreline erosion. Mostly unprovable unless you have 50 year old pictures or some other "proof".
I watch all the dredging in FL followed by concrete seawalls to prevent erosion. If some folks, esp. in coves, could drop in a few Jersey barriers, natural back fill might solve the erosion problem. Maybe some FL winter residents could supply some expertise that we seem to lack in Concord?
I assume you jest about lining our beautiful lake with walls.

The real reason the committee could not prove erosion is that it was composed largely of people who depend upon selling wake boats for their livelihood.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:58 PM   #3
ApS

Arrow Neighbor's Three Large Boats Tossed Today by Woman at Helm--Winter Harbor

"Jersey Barriers" wouldn't hold up to winter's ice. Wakes from wakeboats would push them over anyway--with the wrong side facing out.

Wakeboats' wakes need breaking up. I'd suggest increasing decal fees appropriate to those boats and fund a local industry making concrete tetrapods to keep bays and coves from eroding any further.

In Florida, seawalls themselves eventually shatter due to lightning strikes and concrete/rebar saltwater "spalling".

Most fresh water lakes in Florida are surrounded by dense amounts of sand.

With ready access to ocean surfing within two hours of the center of Florida's peninsula, wake-setter boats are scarce!

Signs of serious wake-setter boat problems include:

--Bare soil on a steep, high shoreline bank
--Recession of the shoreline over a period of time
--Leaning or exposed roots on trees
--Large patches of muddy water near a lakeshore, or unusually muddy streams during periods of high water or following a rainstorm.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
LooneyLovegood (08-28-2021)
Old 07-14-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
winnisquam

Default Winnisquam - Shore Line Erosion

My family has owned a property on Winnisquam since 1949. We have pictures and property line drill points that illustrate 12 feet of shoreline erosion from 1949 until 1995. Has been more stable over the past 25 years which aligns with better management of water flow through the Winnipesaukee river basin. Wakeboarding did not come into to vogue until mid 2000's and wake surfing over the past 5 years. Sometimes opinions are only based on what we see and conclude based upon what creates irritation. I am science and data based with historical evidence that it is not always what it appears to be! Enjoy the lake and the weekend traffic will diminish in 6 weeks! Sure would like that lake frontage, trees and sand back from the 70's/80's
winnisquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:47 AM   #5
Descant

Default Lake Smart living

It's not all just erosion. Sometimes we let the wrong stuff flow into the lake through natural runoff. Small steps on your property can make a difference Did you knopw you can buy blueberry sod? NHLAKES has a program called "Lakesmart living", where you can do a self evaluation of your property
https://nhlakes.org/lakesmart/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-15-2020), The Winster (07-15-2020), winterh (07-15-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2020, 01:06 PM   #6
winterh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
It's not all just erosion. Sometimes we let the wrong stuff flow into the lake through natural runoff. Small steps on your property can make a difference Did you knopw you can buy blueberry sod? NHLAKES has a program called "Lakesmart living", where you can do a self evaluation of your property
https://nhlakes.org/lakesmart/
I did not know about blueberry sod. Looked it up and saw a few places where I could get it. I am having erosion issues and this stuff looks perfect. Is it as simple as just placing sod squares along the shoreline and letting them take root? I assume there are no rules against that?
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:30 PM   #7
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
I did not know about blueberry sod. Looked it up and saw a few places where I could get it. I am having erosion issues and this stuff looks perfect. Is it as simple as just placing sod squares along the shoreline and letting them take root? I assume there are no rules against that?
By all means, plant as much as you can. Plantings near the lake slow the flow of phosphorous into the water, so they are encouraged by DES, the Lake Winnipesaukee Association, and others charged with protecting the water.

But do not use fertilizer, especially fertilizer that contains phosphorous. Phosphorous is the middle of the 3 numbers on the bag--look for a "0"
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:40 PM   #8
winnisquam

Hello Top Water,

I do remember exactly what you described! 50 years ago we would take the row boat with a small motor down to Matt Merskis (sp) store, jump off the bridge, and then head over to the little islands and enjoy the candy. I recall my father having pictures from when the island was a peninsula, will need to find those.

I also recall the ongoing erosion of the islands and after one big weather event they got swept away, crazy

Mother nature was planning ahead to create a sandbar for the next generation
Old 07-15-2020, 07:08 PM   #9
winnisquam

Additionally,

The Jumping Jack, to this day I remember going by boat with my family for ice cream and standing on those docks looking at all of the paper plate/container trash in the lake! Interesting memories!

Imagine if the new bridge did not displace and that commercial property and it was still there, and then the sand bar

Be well
Old 07-15-2020, 08:41 PM   #10
winnisquam

Funny, we used to call it Matts maggot mart!

He always whore I white apron around his pot belly like a butcher, I think he may have even sold meat back then. He was also a great guy!

As we got into our early teens he would would sell us beer, smokes and M80's then we would go back to the little islands, sand bar, into the lagoon by the radio tower for some fun, then back to the cottage, dad had no idea, if he did, this message would never exist, precious!
Old 07-16-2020, 02:05 PM   #11
Descant

Default Blueberry sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
Woody plants are highly encouraged over grassy as they are better runoff water filters. If you look up on NHLAKES or DES there are sample diagrams for the point system under Shoreland Water Quality Protection Act (SWQPA) Lots of points for big trees, not so much for grass. Blueberries don't spoil your view and they don't shed much that has to b e raked up. My blueberries are wild so I don't know much about planting sod, except like any other transplant, need regular watering until established. The vendor must have some advice. Maybe also UNH Extension. I don't do anything in terms of care and maintenance except pull up oak saplings every once in a while. Birch, maple and pine in the area don't seem to infiltrate much.