Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2018, 10:26 PM   #1
gillygirl

Default Ellacoya Barn & Grill

Headed over to them for dinner. Had to wait, so my sister, bil, and I sat on the couches in the bar area hoping to get drinks while we waited. My bil went to the bar and was snarkily told there was a server for the couches. No one ever showed. Once I saw snarky-girl and a coworker behind the bar chatting and enjoying their own beverages, I went to the hostess station to inform them of the situation. She told me we should have been approached by a server, but also that our table was ready. Once we were seated for the meal, everything was fine. But that bitch at the bar needs to realize who pays her salary.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 06-18-2018, 11:33 PM   #2
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
Headed over to them for dinner. Had to wait, so my sister, bil, and I sat on the couches in the bar area hoping to get drinks while we waited. My bil went to the bar and was snarkily told there was a server for the couches. No one ever showed. Once I saw snarky-girl and a coworker behind the bar chatting and enjoying their own beverages, I went to the hostess station to inform them of the situation. She told me we should have been approached by a server, but also that our table was ready. Once we were seated for the meal, everything was fine. But that bitch at the bar needs to realize who pays her salary.

I can't take sides with you against Ellacoya, but I certainly take sides against anyone in hospitality who puts anything in their life before the guest while at work. I recently observed a bartender leave for a smoke break when I needed help preventing the growth of a cactus in the base of my glass.

My advice to you is to leave a little tip with a brief explanation written on the receipt. If we all did this it would help train the new generation in hospitality.
I would also suggest to play it forward so to speak. Take the remainder from your customary tip and add it to the tip for the next exceptional server you encountered.

This is a problem that will solve itself if somehow we all could unite to reward those who go above and beyond and stop rewarding those who don't.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-24-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 06:49 AM   #3
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
I can't take sides with you against Ellacoya, but I certainly take sides against anyone in hospitality who puts anything in their life before the guest while at work. I recently observed a bartender leave for a smoke break when I needed help preventing the growth of a cactus in the base of my glass.

My advice to you is to leave a little tip with a brief explanation written on the receipt. If we all did this it would help train the new generation in hospitality.
I would also suggest to play it forward so to speak. Take the remainder from your customary tip and add it to the tip for the next exceptional server you encountered.

This is a problem that will solve itself if somehow we all could unite to reward those who go above and beyond and stop rewarding those who don't.

baygo --- Spot on -- with both points...……. All too often my wife gets upset with me when I try to make a point (utilizing the tip) & I must admit, at least for this individual, when service is exceptional - THEY know it and the Manager will in all likelihood know it from me too

Old 06-19-2018, 07:21 AM   #4
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

My issue in this situation is why take it out on your server because as stated once that sat at their table everything was fine. I would have went over the hostess and asked for the manager and explained the poor or none existent service when you sat near the fireplace. I love Ellacoya but Service there can be spotty especially on pizza and burger nights

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 07:25 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Agreed with ^ and will add that we left the one time we visited after seeing the "seat yourself" process and two families arriving after us getting tables because they were waiting closer to the tables that opened.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #6
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
My issue in this situation is why take it out on your server because as stated once that sat at their table everything was fine.
Joey - if you were referring to my comment …. I was talking about any tip "due" the bar side while waiting.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #7
Doobs41378

Kids these days don’t know anything about customer service. A young bagger at Market Basket last week used the F word in front of my 9 year old. I would have told a manager but I wasn’t there, it was my wife and daughter.

Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #8
gillygirl

Can't tip when no one served us while at the bar. I'm sure my bil left a nice tip for our waitress.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
baygo

Quote:
My issue in this situation is why take it out on your server because as stated once that sat at their table everything was fine. I would have went over the hostess and asked for the manager and explained the poor or none existent service when you sat near the fireplace. I love Ellacoya but Service there can be spotty especially on pizza and burger nights

My calculation for a tip is based on my entire experience because in many cases the tip is shared in one way or another throughout the house. I believe that by trimming it back in such an instance the server will intern put pressure on the coworker to up their game. I'll make up for it on my next visit if that happens.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:23 AM   #10
jbolty

A clueless server is not going to put two and two together and think "Gee, I gave them horrible service and got tipped accordingly" More likely they will rant about the stupid greedy customers and take it out on the next table.

Telling the manager is the only chance for improvement
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #11
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
A clueless server is not going to put two and two together and think "Gee, I gave them horrible service and got tipped accordingly" More likely they will rant about the stupid greedy customers and take it out on the next table.

Telling the manager is the only chance for improvement
That's why you write the note on the receipt .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-24-2018), Hillcountry (06-19-2018), MBNeckguy (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #12
jbolty

If you tell the manager they might comp something.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #13
joey2665

Quote:
Good point but you do know Baygo is a restaurant owner?
Old 06-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #14
GBGX2

Default You lost me at:

"But that bitch at the bar".......
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBGX2 For This Useful Post:
camp guy (06-24-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #15
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Good point but you do know Baygo is a restaurant owner?
I am trying to understand this point... Yes Baygo is a restaurant owner... and he is telling you his opinion on what should happen, and how he has picked up on poor performance in the past.....

Myself if service is poor enough, sitting somewhere, where I am told a sever should come take my drink order.... If in a reasonable period of time that didn't happen, I would have gone back to the hostess and asked to speak to the manager.... Now myself I don't look to be concerned with being compensated. I really don't care, if the service is bad enough it will just be longer before I return. I will sometime in the future give the business a chance to redeem itself......
lakewind (06-24-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 02:27 PM   #16
joey2665

Merely pointing out to the poster that this was coming from the perspective of a restaurateur

Old 06-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #17
jbolty

a note on the bill seems passive aggressive and depending on who does the books it may never get seen by anyone who matters.

generally, if something happens at a place where I'm a regular I will point it out to the manager right away. If it's someplace I don't plan on returning to I might let it go. Depends on what happens.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #18
Hillcountry

I would have stood at the bar and said “I’ll have.....”
If the bar maid said no dice, leave the restaurant.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #19
baygo

Quote:
a note on the bill seems passive aggressive and depending on who does the books it may never get seen by anyone who matters.

generally, if something happens at a place where I'm a regular I will point it out to the manager right away. If it's someplace I don't plan on returning to I might let it go. Depends on what happens.

It happens more often than one may think. Comments on the CC receipt, both good and bad. The staff always shares the remarks good or bad with each other.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-24-2018), joey2665 (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #20
baygo

Quote:
Industrywide management is turning to the comp button less. How often have you read a negative review about a place in which the author mentions that management comped something for them… 2 star review?

A rising amount of Management in this day and age doesn't see it makes sense to comp something and also take a hit with a negative review.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #21
JADAQ

I’ve eaten here 3 times and each visit there was some sort of issue, mostly terrible service.... 3 strikes you’re out. You think they’d step it up, especially when the locals keep establishments like this afloat in the “off” season.
I’m not sure why this place is always so busy with cars up and down the road. Seriously, the food isn’t that good!
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JADAQ For This Useful Post:
Reilly (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 06:27 AM   #22
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Not our experience

Our Ellacoya experience is quite the opposite. We go to Ellacoya on Mondays for the burgers quite often, but also dine there occasionally in the evenings as well.

We have sat at the bar, in the original downstairs dining area (love the two person nook), the newer area, and upstairs.

Service is normally very good, and food good. I can't say we've had a bad meal there, and only once we had bad service from a server we had never seen before. It took time to get our drinks, weren't asked how our meal was until the plates were empty (must have been pretty good ), nor a check to see if we wanted our drinks refreshed. This was on a Monday, but we haven't seen that server since that time. My guess is she didn't last.

It's still a good choice for us if we want to head towards Gilford for lunch or dinner.

Sorry a few have not had a good experience there.

Dave
GBGX2 (06-24-2018), Newbiesaukee (01-29-2019), Slickcraft (06-24-2018), Whimsey (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 06:53 AM   #23
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADAQ View Post
I’ve eaten here 3 times and each visit there was some sort of issue, mostly terrible service.... 3 strikes you’re out. You think they’d step it up, especially when the locals keep establishments like this afloat in the “off” season.

I’m not sure why this place is always so busy with cars up and down the road. Seriously, the food isn’t that good!

I love Ellacoya it’s a pub not a 5 Star restaurant Food is good people are nice and fries are the best!! Service in the busy season can always and issue and I tolerate it with the understanding that these jobs have become increasingly hard to fill.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
GBGX2 (06-24-2018), ishoot308 (06-24-2018), Slickcraft (06-24-2018), upthesaukee (06-24-2018), Whimsey (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #24
Mr. V

I've eaten there a few times and my only complaint is that the wood walls make for a very LOUD environment; it can sometimes be difficult to hear what folks at my table are saying as they must compete with the surrounding din.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:28 PM   #25
Pursuit34

Quote:
Merely pointing out to the poster that this was coming from the perspective of a restaurateur

What restaurant does he or she own?
Pursuit34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:13 PM   #26
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Tavern 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuit34 View Post
What restaurant does he or she own?
I believe it is Tavern 27 in Laconia. Here's a link to their website: http://www.tavern27.com

Dave
Old 01-28-2019, 05:33 AM   #27
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I believe it is Tavern 27 in Laconia. Here's a link to their website: http://www.tavern27.com

Dave
That is correct
upthesaukee (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #28
Dad207

Location: Summer home at Echo Shores, Minge Cove; home in Baltimore MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADAQ View Post
We've always had good service at the bar-- Greg-- often there-- will remember you, offer good advice on drinks and food, and will tell you if the special or soup is good that night.Small plates, nachos, flat breads, very reliable. burgers; very solid for bar dining.

We've had some good entrees: good seafood and pasta, a good steak and a few other things. Service radically unpredictable: have had young, enthusiastic, but inexperienced servers did an OK job, decent experienced service, and then one terrible job in the off-season (April). No water, table unset, no proper greeting, appetizers came out before drinks. This from a server we had had before.

It was a busy night, perhaps unanticipated by our server and management. OK, that happens in the restaurant biz, crowds arrive without warning, and possibly without adequate staff. What troubled me is this: no explanation from the server, no recognition from the floor manager (I had to get silverware from the hostess station for crying out loud!), no offer of an apology, no free drink or free dessert for a service disaster. We were just expected to take it.

I think that Ellacoya is resting on the history that it is the only thing for folks along the rte. 11 corridor. No competition, no need to work hard. The best thing to happen to Ellacoya is the opening of the Lodge. More expensive, yes, but they are working hard
for approval.

;
Dad207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:47 PM   #29
Crusty

Perhaps I've just got lower standards, but I almost always give a place a couple of chances to please me before I take them off the list.

A few years ago, I went to Ellacoya and ordered a half rack of ribs. I thought they were pretty good. Within a few hours, however, I was in the hospital with a kidney stone. It was too big to pass, so they gave me a stent and sent me home to await lithotripsy. Well, a man's go to eat and I couldn't really blame the ribs, so in a couple days I was back for another half-rack. I joked with the server about how hard their ribs were on my abdomen and she promised these would be ok. Wouldn't you know it, right back to the ER, this time with gall stones. Over the weekend they removed my gall bladder and then performed a lithotripsy on the kidney stone. I was out and hungry in a couple days. Well, I wasn't going to throw in the towel, rib-wise, so it was back to Ellacoya for another half-rack. I explained to the server that this would be their last chance and if I ended up back in the hospital again, I'd have to post something on Yelp. Well, I got my ribs (and some odd looks from my server) and they were just excellent. I enjoyed my meal and went home without discomfort.

My point is this: If I can give a place another chance after multiple hospitalizations, certainly others can brave the occasional missing salt shaker or tardy drink order. [I also enjoy their Monday burger --without discomfort.]
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:32 PM   #30
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Perhaps I've just got lower standards, but I almost always give a place a couple of chances to please me before I take them off the list.

A few years ago, I went to Ellacoya and ordered a half rack of ribs. I thought they were pretty good. Within a few hours, however, I was in the hospital with a kidney stone. It was too big to pass, so they gave me a stent and sent me home to await lithotripsy. Well, a man's go to eat and I couldn't really blame the ribs, so in a couple days I was back for another half-rack. I joked with the server about how hard their ribs were on my abdomen and she promised these would be ok. Wouldn't you know it, right back to the ER, this time with gall stones. Over the weekend they removed my gall bladder and then performed a lithotripsy on the kidney stone. I was out and hungry in a couple days. Well, I wasn't going to throw in the towel, rib-wise, so it was back to Ellacoya for another half-rack. I explained to the server that this would be their last chance and if I ended up back in the hospital again, I'd have to post something on Yelp. Well, I got my ribs (and some odd looks from my server) and they were just excellent. I enjoyed my meal and went home without discomfort.

My point is this: If I can give a place another chance after multiple hospitalizations, certainly others can brave the occasional missing salt shaker or tardy drink order. [I also enjoy their Monday burger --without discomfort.]

I understand and appreciate that you give restaurants a second chance which is very admirable and fair but are you really insinuating that the ribs caused kidney stones and gall stones the same night you are their ribs?

This is medically impossible, at best the ribs could have aggravated an existing condition it certainly didn’t cause the condition as both types of conditions take time to develop they do not manifest themselves that quickly.

Reilly (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 10:22 AM   #31
Crusty

Quote:
I understand and appreciate that you give restaurants a second chance which is very admirable and fair but are you really insinuating that the ribs caused kidney stones and gall stones the same night you are their ribs?

This is medically impossible, at best the ribs could have aggravated an existing condition it certainly didn’t cause the condition as both types of conditions take time to develop they do not manifest themselves that quickly.
I was about to say that I wasn't insinuating anything, that it was a medical fact. However, I realize that you must be humor impaired and this would simply aggravate the situation.

I simply used a humorous --albeit true-- experience to illustrate my point. Restaurants deal in one-off products. No two meals will EVER be of the exact same quality, nor would I want them to be. I have had meals I didn't like in fine restaurants and meals I loved in greasy spoons. It's called "personal preference" and it is just that: personal. Now, if they served you raw chicken or a foil-wrapped dirt clod for a potato (happened to Mom), you certainly should speak up. However, if you aren't running the (successful) restaurant then you probably don't know what the majority of their clientele find toothsome.

On the matter of table service: If you treat your server like I suspect a lot on this forum do, your dining experience will never be as pleasant as it can be. Servers are good, hard-working people, in many cases more intelligent, educated and/or pleasant than those they serve. If you engage them, are pleasant, and don't blame them for what they can't control, they will do their best to correct any of your perceived problems. There are few things more rewarding than to return to a restaurant and have servers greet you warmly and try to get you to one of their tables. [I remember one mortifying experience while dining with a relative, when I felt compelled to go back inside to retrieve a "lost" wallet so that I could apologize to the waitress and slip her an extra $20.] Finally, tip your server reasonably. No matter how you figure it, $5 is a minimum, regardless of the bill. I start by figuring 20% and take into account the time and effort consumed. If I just have say, soup and salad over 45 minutes, I figure the tip based on the amount of time I tied up the table (30-50%). A more expensive meal might remain in the 20% range --lot's of differing opinions and situations, I'm sure, but if you're the last customer in the place, and the server had to hang around because of you, tip generously.

Finally, I'll disclose that I know a number of successful restaurant owners. I have also worked in several different restaurants, from dishwasher to fry cook to grill cook, and on one memorable night, as a carhop. If any of you knew what was said about you in the kitchen, you'd be a lot nicer to the staff.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #32
joey2665

Quote:
I was about to say that I wasn't insinuating anything, that it was a medical fact. However, I realize that you must be humor impaired and this would simply aggravate the situation.

I simply used a humorous --albeit true-- experience to illustrate my point. Restaurants deal in one-off products. No two meals will EVER be of the exact same quality, nor would I want them to be. I have had meals I didn't like in fine restaurants and meals I loved in greasy spoons. It's called "personal preference" and it is just that: personal. Now, if they served you raw chicken or a foil-wrapped dirt clod for a potato (happened to Mom), you certainly should speak up. However, if you aren't running the (successful) restaurant then you probably don't know what the majority of their clientele find toothsome.

On the matter of table service: If you treat your server like I suspect a lot on this forum do, your dining experience will never be as pleasant as it can be. Servers are good, hard-working people, in many cases more intelligent, educated and/or pleasant than those they serve. If you engage them, are pleasant, and don't blame them for what they can't control, they will do their best to correct any of your perceived problems. There are few things more rewarding than to return to a restaurant and have servers greet you warmly and try to get you to one of their tables. [I remember one mortifying experience while dining with a relative, when I felt compelled to go back inside to retrieve a "lost" wallet so that I could apologize to the waitress and slip her an extra $20.] Finally, tip your server reasonably. No matter how you figure it, $5 is a minimum, regardless of the bill. I start by figuring 20% and take into account the time and effort consumed. If I just have say, soup and salad over 45 minutes, I figure the tip based on the amount of time I tied up the table (30-50%). A more expensive meal might remain in the 20% range --lot's of differing opinions and situations, I'm sure, but if you're the last customer in the place, and the server had to hang around because of you, tip generously.

Finally, I'll disclose that I know a number of successful restaurant owners. I have also worked in several different restaurants, from dishwasher to fry cook to grill cook, and on one memorable night, as a carhop. If any of you knew what was said about you in the kitchen, you'd be a lot nicer to the staff.

If you read it on face value it doesn’t look like humor at all. How about next time using an emoji for a smiley face of someone laughing so when you read it people understand your kidding.

By the way I appreciate the insult have a great day!!

Old 01-30-2019, 01:24 PM   #33
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:

I prefer to sit at the bar when ever possible. Bartenders tend to stay at one place longer than servers so you get to know one another if you frequent an establishment on a regular basis. You usually get better service and friendly banter at the bar, JMO!
I like it when I sit down and my beer is already in front of me before I even ask for it.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Reilly (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 07:43 PM   #34
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I prefer to sit at the bar when ever possible. Bartenders tend to stay at one place longer than servers so you get to know one another if you frequent an establishment on a regular basis. You usually get better service and friendly banter at the bar, JMO!
I like it when I sit down and my beer is already in front of me before I even ask for it.
I agree. Although sometimes to get a seat at some of the more popular bars, you're arriving at 4:00 pm. But I've found the bartenders at Ellacoya, Lyon's Den, Patrick's, and Lakehouse in Church Landing to be very good.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:59 PM   #35
gillygirl

By mid-September of last year, my sister and I went into Ellacoya and asked to be seated in the booth in the downstairs. Definitely a hard-to-see table. We had to flag down our waitress after 10-ish minutes. We asked her if the hostess had notified her that they sat someone in her section. She said no, and was slightly exasperated. This explains most of our issues with Ellacoya last year, where we would be sat somewhere, then no one came to service us. No communication between and amongst the staff. This all comes down to lack of training. So if there's not going to be someone in the management position cruising the restaurant to see if everything is going well with all of the diners, they damn well better make sure their team is a well-oiled machine.

Maybe I'll offer my services this season as a secret diner to some of the establishments in the area.