Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #1
TheProfessor

Default Sump Pump Recommentations

Septic system pump.

Need to replace the septic system pump.

Not a high elevation lift. About 100 feet in distance +/-. 110 not 220. Just waste/no garbage disposal.

And names of installers/replace existing pump.

Any brand names of pumps? Cast iron or plastic? HP?

Not going to do this myself.

Obviously, each case is different. But what did you pay for cost of pump and install?

Any other tidbits of information that can be shared.

Thanks.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Price to go to Lowe's and do it yourself for a big, strong, heavy cast iron, long lasting septic pump, tether float switch, and maybe some pvc pipe and fittings; all lasting for 25-years plus......about $300.

Price to pick up the phone and call a septic company to come do it all for you with same results.....about two thousand dollars......who you gonna call?

About 66.67% of the time, the problem is with the black, rubber coated, olde tether float switch, that costs about 25-dollars, and the existing septic pump is still good to use.....so's maybe you just want to replace the tether float switch which is a plug-in device that goes between the pump and the 110v electric outlet and is so simple to replace......just maybe, if needed, pump out the 5-gallons or so of old, filthy, crappie septic liquid and hose it all down inside the holding tank.....it's like replacing a short extension cord.....while wearing big rubber gloves.
ApS (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #3
camp guy

Default Sump Pump

This type of home maintenance falls into the category of "do I really want to take a chance". When I read the specs by the Professor I notice the term 'not a high lift', but any lift has the potential for problems, and I notice the distance, in the area of 100 feet. If the lift is modest, and the distance is 100+ feet, and if there was a failure along the way, that would bring 100+ of septic stuff back to where it came from, and this might not be so good.

I will enter my usual $0.02 worth of suggestion and suggest a licensed plumber to do the job. Then, if there is a problem, he will have to deal with it.

I expect a lot of DIYers will chime in and tell you it is a piece of cake to do, but think of the consequences.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #4
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
This type of home maintenance falls into the category of "do I really want to take a chance". When I read the specs by the Professor I notice the term 'not a high lift', but any lift has the potential for problems, and I notice the distance, in the area of 100 feet. If the lift is modest, and the distance is 100+ feet, and if there was a failure along the way, that would bring 100+ of septic stuff back to where it came from, and this might not be so good.

I will enter my usual $0.02 worth of suggestion and suggest a licensed plumber to do the job. Then, if there is a problem, he will have to deal with it.

I expect a lot of DIYers will chime in and tell you it is a piece of cake to do, but think of the consequences.
Not to mention, do you really want to be rolling around in ****? They get all the money because it's a **** job that no one else wants to do. Sometimes it's best to pick your battles and save money elsewhere. I'm a do it yourselfer but this is a job I would probably sub out. I'd rather work a weekend of overtime at my shop to help pay for it instead. JMO.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:37 PM   #5
SteveO123

Ask for Goulds pumps. The best for that application. You will want a model that "passes a 2" solid". (Standard nomenclature for these types of pumps, not a commentary!)
SteveO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links