Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-29-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
sky_nh

Default Closed on Sundays???

Earlier today I had to make a 30 mile, one-hour round-trip visit from Gilford to Tilton to Lowes to pick up some materials I needed for a home project. I would have preferred to do my shopping in Gilford, but unfortunately, the small, local home supply stores around here are closed on Sundays.

As I drove on Route 3 to Tilton, I noticed a number of other small retail stores closed. I started to wonder: will these be the same small store owners who cry out about the big monolithic box stores taking over their business? How can you be in retailing today and not be open on Sundays?

The parkinglots at the big chains were full. People shop on Sundays because that's when they have a spare moment to get out and buy things. I don't understand this parochial attitude by some of the locals. What happens when Lowe's comes to Gilford? There's a local radio station that talks about supporting local businesses. I would like to! But they have to be open! If you add rude service (OK, you can get that EVERYWHERE!), higher prices, AND inconvenient hours, are we shoppers supposed to feel guilty when they go out of business because of the big chain stores?

Someone, please explain!

Thanks!

-- Sky
sky_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
John A. Birdsall

Default big store vs little ones

Lowes, Walmart, Home Depot can all afford with all their resources to have people working seven days a week. That does not mean that they are better, in fact the little stores might have better wages than the larger ones.

Having been a small store owner/operator you need to have some time off for your family and or yourself.

New England used to have blue laws that prohibited working on Sundays for some types of shops.

Yes the big stores have hurt the little stores, and when you need the service and the courtesy you will find the little stores to be better.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #3
Paugus Bay Resident

I'm surprised. Gilford Home Center is usually open on Sundays but closes around 1 or 2 pm. Trustworthy and Aubuchon are open on Sunday. I know they don't have the selection and variety of Home Depot and Lowes but as John said above, you can't beat them for service. I too remember "blue laws". In the "old days" all the lumber yards used to close at 12 on Saturday. If you didn't have what you needed for a weekend project, stuff just had to wait. Somehow, we got by
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:22 PM   #4
Cal

No names , but having worked with an orange apron I can attest to the fact they use and abuse their employees. When I was hired , I was told you will be required to work "a few" weekends . How about EVERY one for two months and days off during the week with no additional compensation for weekends , till I gave my notice. I too support small business but 7 day work schedules can be a hardship for them.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:18 PM   #5
Airwaves

Quote:
New England used to have blue laws that prohibited working on Sundays for some types of shops.
Actually the blue laws were in Massachusetts and many of them were overturned because of the competition form New Hampshire.

As a former small business owner myself I can tell you that if a store is locally owned and operated the owner, unless he/she is an idiot will take advantage of every opportunity they can get. When I operated my business I was open on ALL the major holidays, why? Because that is when most folks that work 6 days a week, have time off.

If the local Gilford stores aren't open when folks are available to shop, then there will be some real estate opportunities available very soon for sale or lease!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2006, 11:25 PM   #6
sky_nh

Default Well. . OK

I am certainly sympathetic with what you are saying, but the fact is that times have changed. I have seen countless other small, family businesses go out of business because they have not changed with the times.

As I mentioned, the reality is, while the parkinglots at Home Depot and Lowe's were full this afternoon, the local stores were closed. As for Aubuchon, I like that store and do buy stuff there (and the service IS great) but their inventory is very limited and pricey.

People can keep making the same arguments about the local merchant, but if they can't even manage to stay open when most of the working public shops, they are doomed. Sorry.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:23 AM   #7
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
No names , but having worked with an orange apron I can attest to the fact they use and abuse their employees.
I second that as a reformed apron wearer. On the other hand I've learned first hand not to buy lumber from Gilford Home Supply as the quality was way below the lumber I can get at Home Depot. Now if I have to go there for lumber, why not everything else?

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:53 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Most of the local lumberyards rely on repeat contractor business for their bread and butter. Many consumers are going to go to the box stores anyway, because they often believe they are going to get a better deal. Because of this, the local yards gear their inventory towards the professonal contractor. If a local yard is going to lose money on Sunday, they are better off closing. Even Saturdays are usually money losers for the local yards, but they do stay open as a service to the public.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:53 AM   #9
BBS2

Default age

Not to give my age away, but I remember when you couldn't even buy gas on Sunday You made sure you got all your chores done on Saturday.
BBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:20 PM   #10
ghfromaltonbay

Default I support the Blue Laws

As someone who grew up in a northern NJ county that still has Blue Laws, I support the local merchants who close on Sundays. Thank goodness the large malls in Bergen County are closed on Sunday or we would have the same bottleneck traffic in Paramus as the rest of the week, and getting to church would be a nightmare! It's bad enough we have to fight the Giants/Jets game traffice leaving after Sunday morning services. One of the local farms with a large farmstand/bakery does a bang up business all week, but on Sunday there is a chain across the driveway with a sign "Closed Sunday for God and Family". I'm sure they could make a mint on Sunday if they stayed open, but I know they make up for it the other 6 days of the week. If I know they are closed on Sunday, I just make sure I get there Sat. or after work. Just my opinion, but I think too many families don't spend their Sundays together, heck a lot don't even have dinner together during the week anymore.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:27 PM   #11
sky_nh

Default Missing the Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay
Just my opinion, but I think too many families don't spend their Sundays together, heck a lot don't even have dinner together during the week anymore.
You are right regarding Sundays and weekday dinners. I, too, bemoan many of the changes we see in our families. Now that we've agreed on that, let's get back to reality.

Things have changed. We have both parents working in most families nowadays, sometimes six days a week. They might only be able to shop on Sundays (or Saturdays if they work on Sundays). That's why those Big Box and mall parking lots are full of cars!

My original question concerned local merchants who remain closed on Sundays. I think they are putting themselves and their families in economic peril, regardless of the reasons. Their business is going elsewhere! They ask for our support and our business (there's even an ad campaign on a local radio station) but they do little to get that business by offering convenient business hours, competitive prices, and some kind of differentiation that makes it worth doing business with them.

If they go out of business because they were in church or spending time with their families (i.e. watching football), are we supposed to feel OK when they close their doors? They -- and we -- have to stop living in the past. It is GONE and is not coming back (check your calendar -- tomorrow will come after today for most of us).

Regarding the contractors, the big stores are stealing their business, too, not to mention the installation services that places like HD and Lowe's offer. It's just a matter of time.

I believe in local businesses. I AM a local (non-retail) business owner and if I have to work Sundays to meet my client deadlines, I do. If the local merchants want to save their businesses, they have to do better.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:41 AM   #12
aslipp

Well then, if you are a "local business owner", you should understand that it is not cool to bash on another local business owner. The bottom line is...you had to go somewhere else....suck it up....allow the local business owners to spend some time with their families. There really is no need for you to take this approach - Truly, what are you thinking?? You say that they are going to put themselves out of business.....but then what??? if they don't, you're going to make sure you help them?? If you really don't like going to the big chain stores, plan better......Oh, and I find it amusing (and cowardly) that you only call yourself a "local business owner".....why don't you show your face?
aslipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:05 AM   #13
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslipp
The bottom line is...you had to go somewhere else....suck it up....allow the local business owners to spend some time with their families.

If you really don't like going to the big chain stores, plan better......
Sooooooo, who's the idiot that said the customer is important and always right?!?!?

Thought I'd add this link to perhaps shed some light on sky nh's perspective.

http://www.customerservicemanager.co...ways-right.htm
Old 10-31-2006, 11:56 AM   #14
dpg

Right on sky nh.

When I'm out looking to spend my money, you need to be open when I'm willing to shop, not the other way around. I have no problem supporting the small stores either. What bothers me is when I'm up for a weekend and forget something small like a toothbrush. I can get two of the "better" or well known brand at Wal Mart than the one "cheapo" I must buy at mon and pops corner store for the same price.

Helloooo, where would you go?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:01 PM   #15
aslipp

yes, you would need to shed some light on that perspective - it is pure ignorance that would prompt someone who is supposedly a "local business owner" to post a "negative" about a fellow "local business owner" -
Hey, here's an idea.....why don't you share your thoughts with the owner.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:16 PM   #16
GWC...

Quote:
yes, you would need to shed some light on that perspective - it is pure ignorance that would prompt someone who is supposedly a "local business owner" to post a "negative" about a fellow "local business owner" -
Hey, here's an idea.....why don't you share your thoughts with the owner.
That task would be simplified greatly if you would name the local business that sky nh does not name.

Maybe you possess ESP; but I do not...
Old 10-31-2006, 03:18 PM   #17
gtxrider

Default 24x7

I guess that these small business owners should stay open 24 x 7 just in case some body needs a 1/4 20 screw at 2:00PM on a Sunday afternoon. When is it convenient for them to go home, eat, sleep or what ever?

Personally I like the small stores as opposed to the big home centers.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:58 PM   #18
aslipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC...
That task would be simplified greatly if you would name the local business that sky nh does not name.

Maybe you possess ESP; but I do not...
GWC, I am referring to the following quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_nh
I believe in local businesses. I AM a local (non-retail) business owner and if I have to work Sundays to meet my client deadlines, I do. If the local merchants want to save their businesses, they have to do better.
GWC, the business name Sky_nh does not name is HIS OWN business....and it's cowardly....he only calls himself a "local (non-retail) business owner"....and his quote above came AFTER others named at least 3 local businesses....all of which (according to one of the postings) ARE open on Sundays......

as the saying goes....."If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"....my gosh...to any of you who are contributing to this garbage....be a big person and take an issue like this directly to the source.....

Those of us who are "reasonable" will keep a list of items to pick up on.....oh....let's say....Saturday??? Additionally, I don't mind brushing my teeth with a toothbrush from a local mom and pop's.....In fact, I feel pretty darn good about it.....we are talking about hard-working people (who also see the importance of family values....whether it be so they can go to Church, watch football, talk with their kids or just get some well-deserved R&R).....really, it's not our business.....

Further, I get that we all have the right to our opinion....but this is just mean.....I don't even live in Gilford.....but I do know that a lot local businesses in my own community are closed on certain days.....and guess what??? I know which days and I work with that.....If you truly "believe" in local businesses, then show your support and stop contributing to the nasty comments...

One more thing before I go......in Sky_nh's original post, he mentions rude service, high prices and now inconvenient hours.....so then, why would he even attempt to visit one of these local businesses???? perhaps he just needed something to complain about???
Old 10-31-2006, 04:13 PM   #19
fpartri497

Me thinks this thread Is a total waste of time & energy folks

Old 11-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #20
sky_nh

Quote:
Well then, if you are a "local business owner", you should understand that it is not cool to bash on another local business owner. Oh, and I find it amusing (and cowardly) that you only call yourself a "local business owner".....why don't you show your face?
I am not surprised that aslipp is to hostile to any negative feedback about local merchants and ultimately blames me, the consumer, for my "bad" behavior. I cannot think that he is either a merchant himself or that he speaks for other local merchants. My comments are not "bashing" -- they is a form of consumer research. Indeed, many retailers regularly survey customers to understand their needs and preferences. Clearly, that would be considered unnecessary by aslipp.

My perspective is that by telling local merchants that I find it incovenient to drive an hour round-trip on a Sunday afteroon to a store that I did not really want to patronize, I am doing THEM a favor! I am sure that many consumers -- some of whom have posted here -- feel the way that I do. Businesses need to have this information.

As for my own business, does it make my comments more or less credible if people know what kind of business I operate? Is the drive from Gilford to Tilton on a Sunday afternoon more or less convenient depending on my profession? It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever! For the sake of argument, why don't we say I have an 8th grade education, I cut lawns for a living, and I own a trailor in a trailor park. So what? Or, let's presume that I am an M.D. and work at my own office here in Gilford. Does that change anything???

-- Sky
Old 11-10-2006, 10:01 PM   #21
jerry o.

Default regarding ''closed on sundays''

1st of all to ''skynh,''Did you ever think that the employees at the Gilford Home Center had personal lives to? Or are you the only one that has things to do, or projects to get accomplished on sundays.I can say this because I have a small business, but I also have a life & a family. 2nd, maybe it doesn't pay for them to stay open all weekend long because they may do more than enough business from mon. to fri. with the regular contractors and tradesman they see on a daily basis that spend hundreds and probably thousands in their store compared to your purchase of 1-2x4,& a tube of caulking! Now as for ''Weirsguy'' how can you say that the quality of lumber is better at Home Depot compared to the G.H.C. Any time I've tried to purchase lumber at any H.D. its always bent & warped or destroyed.The quality of the lumber at the G.H.C. is 100 x better.HELLO....THEY ARE A LUMBER YARD...DAA...I just gutted my entire house,& ALL my building material was purchased from the G.H.C. Also,I can't forget to mention the staff they are very friendly,they are always trying to help you & I think the most important -extremely knowledgable!
jerry o. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:56 AM   #22
Outlaw

Default It's a lifestyle

I noticed those who are fussing about this post don't seem to have much in the way of their user profile, just the standard issue info. Speaking of showing yourself.....?

New Hampshire is New Hampshire. Things here are a little different (Lakes Region). We don't have things like rush hour traffic jams (rush hour in the Lakes Region might be 12 cars on the same road at the same time in both lanes); tremendous amount of light pollution because everything is open 24/7; not everything is biggie sized; we don't mind waiting in line at the store and don't make faces at the cashier or comments loud enough for those close by to hear; when the traffic light turns green and no one moves there isn't a symphony of horns screaming at you; most drivers don't try to 'beat' the yellow light; getting your dry cleaning back in a week is really ok and when they have to write up your tickets by hand and that takes a few minutes we don't get upset; when the sign on the highway says, right lane closed 1/2 mile ahead, guess what we all move over to the left lane when we see the initial warning, rather than race each other down to the line and cut in when the lane ends.

Life here (and in general) does not need to be rushed, folks here are really in no rush and we all don't need to have immediate gratification and 24 hour access to all the world has to offer. I think because we are not waiting to the last minute or leading such a rushed/fast paced life style we tend to plan out our errands and if you need something unexpectedly, well there are two choices - go to the Big Retailer, or wait until your favorite local retailer is open tomorrow. It's not that we don't care or are not sophisticated enough to understand the fast pace of society and technology, we just really like where we live and like to take the time to enjoy it and the people in it.

Most local businesses have extended hours in the summer, for a number of reasons; it's summer - and we have longer daylight hours translating to more time to do things, but more so because the population in the area increases drastically with vacationers and tourists. Simple rule of supply and demand. The demand is greater when the number of people here is greater. Once summer is over, the population is back to 'normal' and we go into daylight savings time and the demand is decreased. When the demand is not there, it makes no financial sense for a business to be open or remain open longer hours. Some of the local businesses are seasonal, and one of the reasons they are is the financial impact it has on their business to remain open when the demand is lower. It costs the same amount of money (actually more in the daylight savings time for electricity and heat) to keep the doors open regardless if the seasonal folks are here or not. It can often be financially less expensive to close for the season.

Yes, all the small business owners have lives, some have families, some have other responsibilities (jobs, volunteer work...). Not all have the luxury of affording additional help which may enable them to remain open longer hours and/or more days a week - but back to my earlier comment, it can often be an increased business expense to keep the doors open longer hours/more days, and the amount of foot traffic (this translates to sales) may not justify the means. I feel the most important of all reasons why small business owners may not be open 24/7 - is because they can!! Small business owners work for themselves, a choice they made - and this choice has tradeoffs. A small business owner may not pull in 6 figures a year (some may), but you know what, we can be open when we feel it is important and when we know our audience needs us. It may mean being open on weekends and not on Tuesday or Wednesday. Small business owners chose to be business owners because they chose to live their particular lifestyle. A lifestyle where 9 to 5 it is not dictated to them. Oh and by the way, small business owners have to pay for their own benefits (medical, dental...) and when we take a vacation, granted we don't generally have to fill out a form or ask for someone's permission - but guess what, most of us do not get paid when we take a vacation. These too are a cost of doing business.

What's great about this country is diversity. Within an hour you can be in a completely different area with a different culture. People choose to live/work in certain areas of the country because the area feeds their personal and professional needs. New Hampshire may not have as much industry as some of its neighboring states, and that's not a bad thing. It's what makes New Hampshire unique and attracts people because they are looking to escape the culture they live/work in for something new, different, less intense - call it what you like, it's whatever you find intriguing about New Hampshire.

I too am a small business owner and I can first hand appreciate and understand why we need to operate the way we do, and yes I believe all small business owners feel the impact of the Superstores, the Depots, the Biggie size competitors. There is strength in numbers and these retailers have numbers, a large number of dollars to support their organization, a large number of people working in the stores, a large number of people behind the scenes - a Board of Directors, Investors, a legal team, a financial team.........many times all the members of these teams can be found in 'THE' business owner - he/she just wears many hats.
Maybe some of what I said can help people understand why New Hampshire is.......New Hampshire, we're here doing what we do because we 'Like / Love' what we do.

Life is too short, enjoy it while you can for it may surprise you and be gone tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:33 AM   #23
ApS

As another who grew up in this culture and mannerisms...well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw
"...Within an hour you can be in a completely different area with a different culture..."
However, when one selects a culture such as New Hampshire's to drive to, one shouldn't change it.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:56 AM   #24
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Well said!

Outlaw...

As a Mass "transplant" 21 years ago, I couldn't agree more with your thoughtful comments.

Coming from Mass, we got a fast lesson in the "New Hampshire" way of life. Gilford wanted to build a playground at the elementary school. Had I still been in Saugus Mass, it would have had to go to the town, go through town meeting, go out to bid and ended up on my property tax bill. The playground would have been ready for use when my kids graduated from High School. (OK may Jr. High)

What happened in Gilford was amazing.. The kids in town collected enough pennies to cover the gym floor, LOCAL businesses contributed manpower and equipment and the parents of the kids that wanted the playground showed up and built the Imagination Station in three days. No hit on the tax bill, no burden on the families in Gilford that didn't have kids that would use the playground.

My wife and I as newcomers met friends during the project that 20 years later are still good friends. Looking back, it defines what New Hampshire is about..

As far as "Closed on Sunday" and the difference between the big box stores, we have decided to stay with the "locals". For a major home renovation project.. We used Gilford Home Center... not Home Depot. They delivered free. and in some cases within an hour of finding out we needed a few more sheets of drywall. When we decided to build a garden and renovate the lawn this year... we went to Agway and Beans and Greens... the advice they gave us far "out valued" the savings we would have got by running off to Tilton to save a few bucks.

I can't count the times I've gone to the hardware store on Union Ave with a pocket full of loose parts and screws and asked "got any of these?".. or "how do I... (fill in the blank) " Some of the folks at that store are the same ones that were there 20 years ago!

Do ever go the big box? Sure.. sometimes they have a wider selection, or that hard to find part. But to me, they are the back-up supplier.. not the primary.

In our years here, we have found the local businesses to be terrific, even if they weren't open on Sunday.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #25
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry o.
Now as for ''Weirsguy'' how can you say that the quality of lumber is better at Home Depot compared to the G.H.C. Any time I've tried to purchase lumber at any H.D. its always bent & warped or destroyed.The quality of the lumber at the G.H.C. is 100 x better.HELLO....THEY ARE A LUMBER YARD...DAA...
Hey flammer, welcome to the forum! The funny thing is, I too assumed that a LUMBER YARD would have better lumber then the Depot. Guess my standards are a little higher than yours.

Now?
Old 11-12-2006, 11:55 AM   #26
Outlaw

Thumbs up This hit the nail on the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA
Outlaw...
What happened in Gilford was amazing.. The kids in town collected enough pennies to cover the gym floor, LOCAL businesses contributed manpower and equipment and the parents of the kids that wanted the playground showed up and built the Imagination Station in three days. No hit on the tax bill, no burden on the families in Gilford that didn't have kids that would use the playground.

My wife and I as newcomers met friends during the project that 20 years later are still good friends.
Steve A - thank you.!

And what you said - this it's what it's all about, a perfect balance in life of responsibilities, and what it takes - teamwork, devotion and friends. Building that playground is just as important as your business being successful.

Sometimes being open on Sunday means donating your time helping others and your community, whether it's your own personal time or your professional time and materials through the trade you are in.

I've spoken with many a folk who have relocated to the area, or are contemplating it and they all had/have one common concern - cultural differences. Those from a faster paced culture may find that it can take up to 3 years to adapt, but over time they do and are generally glad they took the time to do so.

From time to time I visit the Big Box companies, for one reason or another, but when I plan out my projects it's the local small business I go to first because generally the service is better, the products are better and it's nice when you walk in and they say 'Hey (insert your name here), good morning, how's business going.' I'm a strong supporter of the local economy and will always be. By supporting my local businesses, I hope my contribution can help them compete with the Big Box folks, and one hand washes the other - by supporting them, they in turn support me, and hopefully we can all be successful (even when I'm home on Sunday reading this thread and not open for business, although I have some estimates to work on today for customers so I guess technically I am working on Sunday).
Old 11-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #27
Outlaw

Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
However, when one selects a culture such as New Hampshire's to drive to, one shouldn't change it.
HERE HERE - maybe this should be printed on the signs that say welcome to New Hampshire instead (you know, when in Rome.......)

If you change it - you are only making it into what you are trying to get away from, kinda self sabotage - and that wouldn't accomplish much now would it.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:45 PM   #28
jerry o.

Default For Weirsguy

I'm sorry I thought I was allowed to post my opinion on this forum,just like you did.But,name calling? (flammer)? What are you in, grade school? Why don't you sit at your desk quietly and finish your milk.As for ''standards'' if all your house projects are completed by H.D. lumber then I really am sorry for you.
jerry o. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:17 AM   #29
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw
"...If you change it - you are only making it into what you are trying to get away from, kinda self sabotage... - and that wouldn't accomplish much now would it..."
OK...One change:

I'd like to see Lake Winnipesaukee's regulations enforced, equivalent to 1985's enforcement level.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:46 PM   #30
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry o.
I'm sorry I thought I was allowed to post my opinion on this forum,just like you did.But,name calling? (flammer)? What are you in, grade school? Why don't you sit at your desk quietly and finish your milk.As for ''standards'' if all your house projects are completed by H.D. lumber then I really am sorry for you.
Your opinion is welcome, but if you'd like anyone here to listen to it I'd suggest dropping your "you don't know what your talking about" attitude. Spirited discussions are one thing, but the "HELLO....THEY ARE A LUMBER YARD...DAA..." craps not the best way to do it.

Otherwise you'll find yourself on other peoples ignore list along with mine.

Now?