Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Large steel structure off Diamond

A friend was running side-scan by Diamond recently and caught some images he asked me to checkout, so I did.

While I see 3 dive flags on the Winni chart the location of this thing is not near them. In the area but not the same based on the chart.

Turns out to be a large 3 dimensional steel rectangular box-shaped I-beam structure, about 45 feet long, about 30 feet wide, about two stories high at its peak with large I-beams for the main frame with smaller I-beam cross-frames (similar to the way they frame office buildings); Large pipes sticking either straight up or at an angle in the water column, some snapped and hanging over but not detached. Perhaps a dozen or more 5x5x5 foot concrete blocks on each side of the vertical base beams into the lake bed. The beams didn't go into the blocks-the blocks boxed them in. Large steel cable remnants and other industrial stuff all over. Various structure hanging in the water column.

It sits on a slight slope (drops to 60+ feet quickly to the north) and I am guessing it had no floor that sat on the lakebed-instead the first horizontal decking was off the bottom on the crossbeams.

Likely related to the Navy of course.
Attached Images

Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
Grant (07-09-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (07-09-2010)