Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 10:20 PM   #1
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
You forgot to mention that you walked 5 miles each way to and from school in the rain, snow and heat. No bus back in the day. Now the increased local government expenses and resultant tax increases are my fault because I have a house in NH and I spend much of my disposable income in the lakes region supporting the local economy.

Firstly, I took the bus. Secondly, I have no issue with those who have second homes here. They don’t vote. My issue is with those who move here full time and want the same services they were used to receiving in Mass, RI, Connecticut and NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (11-12-2018), gravy boat (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 07:18 AM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,073 Times in 678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Firstly, I took the bus. Secondly, I have no issue with those who have second homes here. They don’t vote. My issue is with those who move here full time and want the same services they were used to receiving in Mass, RI, Connecticut and NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What a terrible thing, to want to see advancement in services. We must build a wall to keep out those Democrats.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:33 AM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,386 Times in 960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
What a terrible thing, to want to see advancement in services. We must build a wall to keep out those Democrats.
Wow, Major! I bet you didn't expect such an honest answer!
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Major (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Wow, Major! I bet you didn't expect such an honest answer!
I didn't. But his first sentence again ignores the point. NH government has a proud tradition of being lean and mean, and that has changed. If you want or need services, go somewhere where they value them. Stay in Mass with 5.35 income tax and 6.25 sales tax. They can afford all the most wonderful services desired.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (11-14-2018), CTYankee (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #5
Biggd

Quote:
I didn't. But his first sentence again ignores the point. NH government has a proud tradition of being lean and mean, and that has changed. If you want or need services, go somewhere where they value them. Stay in Mass with 5.35 income tax and 6.25 sales tax. They can afford all the most wonderful services desired.
That's what the wall is for!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #6
CTYankee

Default Or you could come to Connecticut

Quote:
a state that makes Massachusetts look red by comparison. Connecticut offers government control for life. All the services huge taxes can pay for, and then some. Personal responsibility - a thing of the past.

Hopefully New Hampshire will come to its senses and return to its motto: Live Free or Die.
The Following User Says Thank You to CTYankee For This Useful Post:
Major (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #7
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYankee View Post
a state that makes Massachusetts look red by comparison. Connecticut offers government control for life. All the services huge taxes can pay for, and then some. Personal responsibility - a thing of the past.

Hopefully New Hampshire will come to its senses and return to its motto: Live Free or Die.
There's nothing free about NH.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #8
8gv

People move to a place hoping it won’t change but...

their very presence changes the place.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #9
MDoug

Default Second Tax Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
There's nothing free about NH.
Speaking of things not free, we have not received our second tax bill from Meredith yet.
Are they late sending them?
Old 11-12-2018, 07:46 AM   #10
secondcurve

As with most issues the truth is somewhere in the middle. For example, I cringe when I see what is going on in Georgia. A far left politician is within a whisker of claiming the governorship. What does she want to do? You guessed it she wants to raise taxes which isn’t surprising given she is on the far left. The twist is she hasn’t paid her personal income taxes for years and she has a payment plan with the IRS! Shouldn’t it be against the law to run for office if you haven’t paid your taxes? Of course it should. How is it possible this lady was able to get 49% of the vote in a state like Georgia?

On the other extreme is the great state of NH. It is one of the least taxed statesin the union and Wolfeboro has a relatively low tax rate in the state. Shouldn’t we be able to spend more on the schools in Wolfeboro? I think yes. The issue is the tax system in NH is so heavily reliant on real estate. It shouldn’t be but it is. How can it be fixed? Shift the burden to other revenue sources is clearly the answer. However, a lot of folks are afraid once this happens the genie is out of the bottle and taxes will never stop going up which is probably true.

So how do we fix all these problems? Clearly the answer is to elect officials in the center of the political spectrum and compromise like we used to but this doesn’t happen any longer. A very said state of affairs.
Closed Thread