Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-10-2023, 08:56 AM   #1
Closetzguy

Default Woodshed

I really do want to like this place but.......

We went in Saturday night at 7:50pm to get turned away.......manager said "kitchen had done all they can do tonight".

There were 5 open tables on the bar side and the dining room was still active.

Not everyone likes to eat at 5:30......especially on a Saturday night. We like to eat bit later and enjoy some discussion around the bar.

As another business owner.....I will never understand how you can turn away a customer. How about these alternatives:
1. Say "the kitchen is slowing down, but I can offer these items....."
2. or "Sorry we had to close the kitchen a bit early tonight, but here is a $25 gift certificate so please don't give up on us"

I just don't get it......you would think they would bend over backwards to make the most of the high season. I guess they don't need it.
Closetzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Closetzguy For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (07-11-2023), Sully (07-11-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 08:59 AM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closetzguy View Post
I really do want to like this place but.......

We went in Saturday night at 7:50pm to get turned away.......manager said "kitchen had done all they can do tonight".

There were 5 open tables on the bar side and the dining room was still active.

Not everyone likes to eat at 5:30......especially on a Saturday night. We like to eat bit later and enjoy some discussion around the bar.

As another business owner.....I will never understand how you can turn away a customer. How about these alternatives:
1. Say "the kitchen is slowing down, but I can offer these items....."
2. or "Sorry we had to close the kitchen a bit early tonight, but here is a $25 gift certificate so please don't give up on us"

I just don't get it......you would think they would bend over backwards to make the most of the high season. I guess they don't need it.
The manager there is the problem. If you're a regular high roller he will move mountains to please you.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 12:01 PM   #3
Janet

We went a couple of years ago. The manager was so rude and offensive we've never been back. Sounds like he's still there.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 12:02 PM   #4
8gv

If the limited kitchen help is over worked to the point of quitting, the manager might have made the right long term decision.

These are unprecedented times.

Some staff is better than no staff and sometimes they must be protected by ending the night early.

I spent my career on the supply side of the equation.

Now that I'm retired I am on the demand side.

Knowing what I know, I try not to demand too much.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 12:31 PM   #5
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
If the limited kitchen help is over worked to the point of quitting, the manager might have made the right long term decision.

These are unprecedented times.

Some staff is better than no staff and sometimes they must be protected by ending the night early.

I spent my career on the supply side of the equation.

Now that I'm retired I am on the demand side.

Knowing what I know, I try not to demand too much.
That excuse cut it a few years ago but not now.
Well run businesses have figured out how to deal with the new environment.
We have been to numerous restaurants in the area that are fully back on track. Canoe, Bob House, Walter’s, all paying the help properly and not having issues.
Somehow this guy can’t tie his shoes and probably will NEVER get it right.
Seems he just dosent care.
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (07-11-2023), Biggd (07-10-2023), Janet (07-13-2023)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2023, 01:27 PM   #6
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
That excuse cut it a few years ago but not now.
Well run businesses have figured out how to deal with the new environment.
We have been to numerous restaurants in the area that are fully back on track. Canoe, Bob House, Walter’s, all paying the help properly and not having issues.
Somehow this guy can’t tie his shoes and probably will NEVER get it right.
Seems he just dosent care.
We love The Woodshed--every meal is great, the drinks are generous, the atmosphere very nice. But I agree on the manager struggling sometimes. I think he cares--when you watch him in motion he always seems efficient and striving. I think his issue is that he does not understand the solicitous/hospitality side of the equation.

If you don't take his affect personally, it's easy to enjoy everything else. One thing that's enabled me to do this is reading here that I'm not the only one. So thanks to the group!
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 03:00 PM   #7
TheTimeTraveler

I am surprised there are so many issues with The New Woodshed issues as they are only open to the public 4 hours a day during 4 days per week. You would think that they could perfect everything with a staff working a 16 hour workweek.....

I realize that there is a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scene but I don't think there is a lot of heavy lifting going on and everything should be perfect during every visit for the amount of money being charged there (top dollar).
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 07:38 PM   #8
John Mercier

Last seating would most likely be 8PM.
At 7:50, the manager probably called it prematurely.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 08:03 PM   #9
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
I am surprised there are so many issues with The New Woodshed issues as they are only open to the public 4 hours a day during 4 days per week. You would think that they could perfect everything with a staff working a 16 hour workweek.....

I realize that there is a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scene but I don't think there is a lot of heavy lifting going on and everything should be perfect during every visit for the amount of money being charged there (top dollar).
We've been twice this year. Both perfect in every way
Old 07-11-2023, 08:04 AM   #10
ACME on the Broads

Default Opposite!

Been 2 times ourselves this year..........wanting badly to give this former extraordinary and all-time favorite restaurant every benefit after many years of frequenting, unfortunately, each visit grew progressively more disjointed; either the angry, combative, bald manager is/was uninterested in his guests, cares little about returning guests or is on a short leash. Either way, our two visits this season have been mediocre to poor. One evening my prime rib literally had more fat/grizzle than eatable meat, on the other, our waitress didn't arrive for almost 15 minutes, than made a mistake with my wife's entrée.

I know it won't happen, but, if only Rex or Lynn could come back, coach and educate this terrible manager on the art of, excellent and consistent execution, customer sensitivity, a guest's lifetime value then perhaps one day this icon establishment could make inroads to regain it's once excellent reputation. Not so long ago, we like countless others never, ever had a less than fantastic experience at the Woodshed.........folks save your money, as long as the current manager remains in his capacity, prepare yourself for mediocrity, badgering, and questions of what was.....VERY SAD!
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACME on the Broads For This Useful Post:
mhtranger (07-11-2023), Sully (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 08:39 AM   #11
jetskier

Post Another Poor Experience

Hi all,

I am typically reticent to share any negative experiences about dining as I know that it is really challenging to make a go of it.

About 2 months ago, my wife wanted to try Woodshed as we had not been there since prior to the fire and rebuild. We called in advance and were told that there was no reservation required, just come in early which we did.

When we arrived, we were told that they could not seat us in the dining room (which was completely empty) and we would have to sit at the bar. OK, not a big deal.

I ordered a steak and it was pretty much inedible...tough as nails. I brought it home for the cat, who would not eat it either. The waitress did offer to put another steak on when I pointed out the issue, but at that point I was not particularly interested. Paid the bill and left.

There are some really good restaurants in the lakes region and this could be one of them. It is unfortunate.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 09:46 AM   #12
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

We frequented the Woodshed and New Woodshed pretty much weekly as we live a mile away. My brother could have written the original post- the same thing happened to him. We have not been back in a year due to this and reading similar stories here and on FB. The manager is Greg, he is also an owner so he is not going anywhere.

We tend to stay out of restaurants in the summer, but try Lemongrass for a great meal!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 10:09 AM   #13
phoenix

We use to view Woodshed as our twice a summer go to place. WE went about thee years ago and all four of us though the steaks were poor quality and high prices. We haven't been back and likely won’t . By the way lemon grass is a now our go to restaurant
Old 07-11-2023, 11:35 AM   #14
Sully

Default Woodshed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACME on the Broads View Post
Been 2 times ourselves this year..........wanting badly to give this former extraordinary and all-time favorite restaurant every benefit after many years of frequenting, unfortunately, each visit grew progressively more disjointed; either the angry, combative, bald manager is/was uninterested in his guests, cares little about returning guests or is on a short leash. Either way, our two visits this season have been mediocre to poor. One evening my prime rib literally had more fat/grizzle than eatable meat, on the other, our waitress didn't arrive for almost 15 minutes, than made a mistake with my wife's entrée.

I know it won't happen, but, if only Rex or Lynn could come back, coach and educate this terrible manager on the art of, excellent and consistent execution, customer sensitivity, a guest's lifetime value then perhaps one day this icon establishment could make inroads to regain it's once excellent reputation. Not so long ago, we like countless others never, ever had a less than fantastic experience at the Woodshed.........folks save your money, as long as the current manager remains in his capacity, prepare yourself for mediocrity, badgering, and questions of what was.....VERY SAD!
I wholeheartedly agree with ACME on the Broads. Clearly the Woodshed of today is thriving, or should I say surviving, through the innocence of passing tourists. Community loyalty at this beautiful location is sadly, yet deservedly, a day gone by!
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 12:38 PM   #15
WinterHarborGuy

Anyone remember John Allen Hill from Cheers? He was the character who was the owner/manager of Melville's, which was upstairs from the bar.

Every time I go to the Woodshed I am reminded of him when I see the host...

Many similarities.
WinterHarborGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinterHarborGuy For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (07-11-2023), The Winster (07-22-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 01:37 PM   #16
ACME on the Broads

Default Too Much Credit!

That guy smiled once in a while
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ACME on the Broads For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-11-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 01:50 PM   #17
mofn

I have never been there, and I will never go there.
I can read!
This is at least a once a year subject about the same person!
Day 3 of being open 4, just less than 3 hours since opening that night,... so sorry?
You need reservations on the non bar-side so they know how many mouths they have to feed that night.
Clostzguy giving where you live it should be Abe & Louie's or the Stockyard here come!
Below the last sentence from the perp's bio on THEIR website. Giving the comments over the years a reality check is needed.

"As general manager of The New Woodshed, he has found his “dream job” and is looking forward to meeting many of the former patrons of the Woodshed."
mofn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mofn For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (07-12-2023), Heading4thelake (07-12-2023), KennyFromBoston (07-12-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 04:32 PM   #18
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Inconsistent?

I'm amazed that locals keep going back and then complain. For a tourist, it's an easy mistake. Looking at Trip Advisor, it gets four stars over 198 reviews. That looks pretty good if you don't actually read the reviews or look at the dates. More recent reviews are 1 star and more old, out of date, reviews are 5 stars. I did not see any 2,3,4 star reviews in the ones that I looked at. Some of the reviews remind me of episodes of Fawlty Towers. Funny to the viewers but pathetic for the paying guests.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (07-12-2023), joey2665 (07-12-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 04:40 PM   #19
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I'm amazed that locals keep going back and then complain. For a tourist, it's an easy mistake. Looking at Trip Advisor, it gets four stars over 198 reviews. That looks pretty good if you don't actually read the reviews or look at the dates. More recent reviews are 1 star and more old, out of date, reviews are 5 stars. I did not see any 2,3,4 star reviews in the ones that I looked at. Some of the reviews remind me of episodes of Fawlty Towers. Funny to the viewers but pathetic for the paying guests.
After reading your post, I went to check out the reviews and they're not very good. What is most interesting is that the ones mentioning the manager are never addressed.

We spend most of the summer just a few miles away from this place and, yet, have never been. Every time we think about visiting, I'm immediately reminded of the crapshoot it is.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
mhtranger (07-12-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 11:01 PM   #20
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Even though I like The Woodshed, you lured me in with Fawlty Towers, haha. Whoa some of those are bad! It is kind of funny how they are so polarized among diners. One interesting thing I noticed--one reviewer learned from "the owner" that the manager actually owns 50%. This of course explains how he's still employed
Old 07-13-2023, 08:37 AM   #21
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Fawlty Towers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Even though I like The Woodshed, you lured me in with Fawlty Towers, haha. Whoa some of those are bad! It is kind of funny how they are so polarized among diners. One interesting thing I noticed--one reviewer learned from "the owner" that the manager actually owns 50%. This of course explains how he's still employed
I notice that when Sybil keeps a tight rein on Basil, things go OK. Perhaps there is somebody at the Woodshed we don't see who accounts for such good days and bad days when the unseen force is there or not there?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote