Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
ApS

Cool Identifying the Lake's Largest Birds...

Prompted by the recent Bald Eagle sightings in Melvin Village, I found a wing profile diagram that shows how the three largest birds on Lake Winnipesaukee can be identified in flight—even while one mile distant!

I've seen Bald Eagles from one mile away while perched on a branch. (Without binoculars—a handy guide being my former lake location in Florida, which is exactly one mile across!)

Now, note the purple image "in-flight":

Ospreys soar with their wings held in a shallow "m" shape—like a seagull's.

Turkey Vultures' wings are held in a deep "V" shape while soaring and will appear somewhat unsteady in flight. (But they DO know what they're doing—they are absolute masters at avoiding the multiple utility wires strung all over my present location). Again, note the purple image "in-flight":

Note the purple image "in-flight" again: The Bald Eagle's two wings could be made from one piece of plywood, they're held so straight!

Since birding IS recreation—and although it's certainly possible to identify Bald Eagles from indoors—I put this new thread in "Outdoor Recreation".

Credit to sources:
http://www.in.gov/dnr_old/fishwild/endangered/id.htm
and
http://www.onlinephotographers.com/y...topic=111462.0

Last edited by ApS; 04-30-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Add credits...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up Great Info!

Very informative APS. I hope we get to see all three of these birds this year. Is an Osprey a bird of prey like the other two?
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default PSNH Osprey Cam

RG,
Yes they are "birds of prey".

Check out this cool webcam set up by PSNH. The same pair has been coming back to the nesting site for either 4 or 5 years.

Nice "fact sheet" on Osprey and the photo history lets you look at the same pair from years past.

http://www.psnh.com/Osprey/default.asp

SteveA
Old 04-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
lakeforest

APS, do you have any similar information on Golden eagles? I am sure I have seen a golden eagle around 19 mile bay occationally over the last two years. I have seen the bald eagles many times and in fact last year one took a loon chick that had been left on the surface while the parents hunted.

Two years ago, I watched what I believe was the golden eagle in a fight with a bald eagle. The bald eagle came from high above, dove and attacked the golden causing it to turn upsuide down in mid air to fight off the bald eagle. The golden was much larger than the bald. It was quite a sight.
lakeforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
matcol

Great diagrams! My parents reside on Moultonborough Neck Road about a mile before JO JO's and they have an Osprey that returned for the third year last week. As of Sunday when I was there for Easter, the mate had not yet returned. Their nest is located on top of the Cell tower (top of Hollingworth Hill). They are very interesting to watch. Only eat fish and from this one's vantage point they are surrounded by the lake as well as some smaller ponds. We can watch them leave their perch on top of the cell tower and fly down to our neighbor's pond and come back with fish...very cool
matcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
ApS

Cool Include "Playing Chicken" in These Birds' Lifestyles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeforest View Post
"...APS, do you have any similar information on Golden eagles? I am sure I have seen a golden eagle around 19 mile bay occasionally over the last two years..."
I'm certain you're right: check out our Golden Eagle discussions back then:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ghlight=golden

I've had too-few opportunities to identify Goldens, but it's likely their wings are held in the same manner as Bald Eagles while soaring. (Dead-straight).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
"...Is an Osprey a bird of prey like the other two...?"
Ospreys feed nearly exclusively on live fish—which the Bald Eagle will try to steal from them!

So to answer your question, the Osprey is a bird of prey whose intended prey can become the intended prey of a different bird of prey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeforest View Post
"...Two years ago, I watched what I believe was the golden eagle in a fight with a bald eagle. The bald eagle came from high above, dove and attacked the golden causing it to turn upside down in mid air to fight off the bald eagle. The golden was much larger than the bald. It was quite a sight..."
WRT to these large birds, the female is larger; therefore, you could have seen a larger female Golden Eagle being attacked by a smaller male Bald Eagle. Other than the gender difference, the two species are more different in weight than size—Goldens being heavier.

The fight you describe was most likely "posturing" for a good feeding/nesting territory. A few years ago, I watched a large Osprey dive on a Bald Eagle, forcing the Bald Eagle upside-down to display its talons.

Both appeared satisfied that their "points" had been made.

All these birds "dive" on others—occasionally on one another of the same species: I've seen two juvenile Bald Eagles (possibly siblings) link their talons and fall—spiraling—hundreds of feet before releasing just above the water's surface!

Some remarkable Internet photos from last month show two frustrated adult Bald Eagles eventually colliding over a "lucky duck" that didn't become either Eagle's dinner:

(White tail feathers show both birds).

("Lucky Duck" observing to the far right as the Eagles appear on a collision course).

(This collision left one Eagle stunned on the water's surface, but it did survive the encounter to fly once again).

(Same duck...checking things out).

(Eagle recovers, gets airborne).

(Wet, rumpled, but wiser Bald Eagle dries out nearby).
Old 05-01-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Wow!

What an amazing series of photos! Nature at it's best. That sure is one lucky duck!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
Silver Duck

We were sitting on our boat at Shep's last weekend when a Bald Eagle flew by at tree top height; what a magnificent sight!

A nearby Loon had a different opinion of the matter, though. I don't think that I've ever heard one wail and yodel the way that one did; it had an absolute hissy fit!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
fatlazyless

I saw a single large bald eagle last weekend too, about one mile south of Shep's flying around Horse Island and heading toward Shep's. Could be the same eagle?

Seems like it is prolonging its winter stay due to the almost total lack of motorboat traffic this year. Previously, the eagles left for Canada, or somewhere, with ice-out, but not this year. At least for one bald eagle?
Old 09-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
ApS

Cool Late in the Season, but may be a Golden Eagle Sighting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
"...I hope we get to see all three of these birds this year..."
Today, as the winds subsided about 5PM, an object high over Tuftonboro Neck was pointed out to me.

It appeared to be an aircraft but was motionless, like a kite. Now I believe I've seen this year's first sighting of a Golden Eagle!

It continued to soar over Tuftonboro Neck for nearly ½-hour, so I got a good look at it. It appeared to have wider wings than a Bald Eagle, was a bit large for a Bald Eagle, and was very dark in color. Maybe he will show himself again this weekend. (Keep looking up!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
"...Is an Osprey a bird of prey like the other two...?"
1) Well, a Turkey Vulture isn't technically a bird of prey, but a friend has seen one pick up an ailing chicken of hers and carry it off to a neighbor's roof.

2) One Osprey I saw last Saturday was definitely not a Bird of Prey. High over the Broads, he was being pecked-on by a large seagull!

3) While unsuccessfully trying to restore the original sketches, I found the neatest photo of an Osprey!

Old 09-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #11
meteotrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
3) While unsuccessfully trying to restore the original sketches, I found the neatest photo of an Osprey!
Awesome!!!
meteotrade is offline   Reply With Quote