Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2018, 07:14 AM   #1
Jimr

Default Best GPS for the lake

Hi
I have an old Lowrance 160 that I need to replace. What are some of the best midrange units out there? Haven't looked in probably 10 years so I'm lost.
Thanks Jim
Jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #2
Light Breeze

Honestly I've been using the Navionics app on my Iphone. Shows recommended routes (which way around a marker) and also offers GPS routes to destinations. Cheep and effective....
Light Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #3
Dave R

Agree on the Navionics app, that works really well and is very cheap, but you said "best", so I have to cast my vote for Garmin hardware with LakeVu HD Ultra cartography. If you are coming from a 10 yea old plotter, you will be astounded by how much better the newer stuff is. I went through this in 2015.

I don't know if you boat in places other than Winnipesaukee, but the downside of the Navionics app is that you need mobile data for it to work. That can be a problem is many places a boat can go, not so much on Winni though. I use my boat all over and Navionics is simply not a viable repalcement for a true chart plotter for me.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #4
Shreddy

I have a 2006 Four Winns and it has a mounted Garmin 276c that's a bit out of date. Any recommendations to enhance this old bad larry without investing new? Still works fine, but I notice that it does not plot many of the markers on the lake.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
belawinn

Just updated 2009 Garmin 535 with SD card from Bizer. Same as the chart. It’s perfect. Found the option online. Can download or they will send you SD or micro

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
belawinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
I have a 2006 Four Winns and it has a mounted Garmin 276c that's a bit out of date. Any recommendations to enhance this old bad larry without investing new? Still works fine, but I notice that it does not plot many of the markers on the lake.
That model is not listed as compatible with LakeVu HD ultra. You may be able to update the charts that are in it. The Garmin website will tell you how.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:26 PM   #7
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
That model is not listed as compatible with LakeVu HD ultra. You may be able to update the charts that are in it. The Garmin website will tell you how.
I have no clue what's on there now as I don't really use GPS. I've familiar with most of the lake having boated there for 20+ years but there are still areas it would be nice to have GPS instead of pulling out the chart. I wonder if I can just download something from Bizer that would be pretty decent.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #8
Phantom

Quote:
I have no clue what's on there now as I don't really use GPS. I've familiar with most of the lake having boated there for 20+ years but there are still areas it would be nice to have GPS instead of pulling out the chart. I wonder if I can just download something from Bizer that would be pretty decent.
Shreddy - I like you have 90% of the Lake chart in my head (still a few area's I like to pull the Bizer and refamiliarize) ……… BUT - a GPS comes in damn handy on one of those "Black", overcast, moonless nights.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:58 PM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Lowrance

Well I guess everyone has their favorite brand and I am partial to the Lowrance line of gps plotters and fish finders. Their ease of use, clarity, available options and durability make the Lowrance a great product. I currently have four of them and one is 10 years old and gets used Year round including ice fishing so it is subjected to temps from -20 to the heat wave we had a few days ago. All have been bullet proof! Add a Navionics chip and you have a pretty unbeatable unit!

Dan
Old 07-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #10
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Shreddy - I like you have 90% of the Lake chart in my head (still a few area's I like to pull the Bizer and refamiliarize) ……… BUT - a GPS comes in damn handy on one of those "Black", overcast, moonless nights.

Exactly why I'd appreciate having the updated GPS. Would be very nice on some rides back from dinner. I know the model is old, but the thing still works, just a bit dated on the map. I don't go to Alton much anymore and was thinking of heading there for lunch Sunday and chose to head toward Meredith bc I was too lazy to navigate the chart
Old 07-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #11
The Real BigGuy

I’ve got a Raymarine from 2011. Has the big card(can’t remember the style) but I really don’t have any issues using the old chart.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #12
NHskier

Quote:
i've been using the same unit for about a dozen years with Bizer maps. You can get a current version of the map through the Garmin page on his website.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:02 AM   #13
Downeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimr View Post
Hi
I have an old Lowrance 160 that I need to replace. What are some of the best midrange units out there? Haven't looked in probably 10 years so I'm lost.
Thanks Jim
Im not so sure I can suggest the raymarine axiom. Ive installed numerous 7'sand 9's and have come to the conclusion they are harder to navigate than E and A series (not the classics) and I think they need to work on their touch screen. Not having the money apple does, it shows they are not quite there yet.

And going to the flat UI over the use of skeuomorphism makes it 'boring' -- same scenario when iPhone. they ditched the graphical depth and went flat. blah.

however I do like how ray has done away with those silly sea talk ng plugs and finally moved over to micro C devicenet so at least interfacing doesn't require a converter anymore, but there is not more 0183.... so unless you buy a 150$ 0183 to n2k converter, the old vhf can't be interfaced if its 0183.

If you dont need n2k or network expansion than drop down to the 4-500$ range and get a dragonfly 7pro, or a garmin CV or DV series. comes with card and sonar options.

I personally chose a Hummingbird Helix 5 WITH navionics+ for my little bow rider. I saw a good value in it considering the down vision, gps and navionics card were included for 350. very fair IMO. small screen, but preferred over the square screen of the dragons.

what ever you get, find a bundle (with a card) otherwise they are about 150-200 per card depending.
decide if you need more than the now standard multifreq "chirp" or not. side scan is an option, but unless you fish, forget the extra cost. save the dough for the good cards.

they have all comes along way and are very powerful.. but I think the ability to watching netflix now on an MFD is... going too far, lots of lowrance users out there so you would have plenty of support right here on the forum

hope that helps
Downeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:58 AM   #14
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I've had a Garmin DV50 for the last five years. It was something like $450 installed and has been perfect for us. Super easy to read screen, tons of options, and nice layout. In addition to depth, I have it set to show current and top speed, direction, time, and water temp at the same time as the map, with plenty of room. Garmin also includes a "safe passage" line that has been very helpful.

I've heard that Garmin has shut down their units to third party cards, but the included HD maps have been flawless, even a couple years ago when the lake was historically low. *A note: we are in the north, which many feel is the trickiest part of the lake, and we've never had an issue.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:50 AM   #15
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Well I guess everyone has their favorite brand and I am partial to the Lowrance line of gps plotters and fish finders. Their ease of use, clarity, available options and durability make the Lowrance a great product. I currently have four of them and one is 10 years old and gets used Year round including ice fishing so it is subjected to temps from -20 to the heat wave we had a few days ago. All have been bullet proof! Add a Navionics chip and you have a pretty unbeatable unit!

Dan
Our rinker has a 2005/2006 vintage lowrance globalmap 3500c and I cannot find cartography anywhere. None of the new ones these days willl work.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:44 AM   #16
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Our rinker has a 2005/2006 vintage lowrance globalmap 3500c and I cannot find cartography anywhere. None of the new ones these days willl work.
Navionics maps should work on that unit as stated here... http://www.jollyannsales.com/GPS/low...lmap_3500c.htm

"Compatible with optional plug-&-play Navionics® Gold, Classic and HotMaps™ electronic charts including Hotmaps Premium."

Dan
Old 07-10-2018, 08:24 AM   #17
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Navionics maps should work on that unit as stated here... http://www.jollyannsales.com/GPS/low...lmap_3500c.htm

"Compatible with optional plug-&-play Navionics® Gold, Classic and HotMaps™ electronic charts including Hotmaps Premium."

Dan
The older machines only take a card up to 1gb in capacity. The newer cards are 2gb and larger. I have a navionics from one of the premiers and it does not recognize it.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:47 AM   #18
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
The older machines only take a card up to 1gb in capacity. The newer cards are 2gb and larger. I have a navionics from one of the premiers and it does not recognize it.
On some of the older MFDs, if you update their firmware, they can support larger cards. Of course, you need a small card to install the firmware update, and need to check the release notes to see if this is one of the 'fixes' included in the firmware update.

Myself, I like Navionics charts. They do a great job on the lake, take updates and fixes from users, and you can see their chart before you buy, or use it online in a web browser at anytime.

Garmin purchased Navionics, so we can only hope that in the future, Navionics charts will be an option for current Garmin devices. At this point they will only say that they are 'thinking about' adding Navionics support to the Garmin devices. We don't know if they will add Navionics support to future yet to be released MFDs, or if they will support Navionics charts on their current devices.

I have an older Garmin GPSMAP 431S that I use as a backup. It has the Bizer chip in it. It's setup on a cigarette power connector to allow it to be used on almost any boat. It was used for less than one season on an older, smaller boat, but works great. I keep thinking that I should sell it.

I much prefer the Navionics charts, so if I ever replaced the MFD on my current boat, I'd go with something that supports the Navionics charts.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:22 AM   #19
JonLevis

I love my Standard Horizon CP180i with the Bizer card but...coming back from Meredith after the fireworks with no moon, I switched the screen color to "night" and it was just as bright as any other mode. I could not use it and maintain my night vision. I ended up putting a hat over it and took it off for brief moments to double check my position
JonLevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #20
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLevis View Post
I love my Standard Horizon CP180i with the Bizer card but...coming back from Meredith after the fireworks with no moon, I switched the screen color to "night" and it was just as bright as any other mode. I could not use it and maintain my night vision. I ended up putting a hat over it and took it off for brief moments to double check my position
Once powered on you should be able to access the light dimming adjustment by hitting the power switch once quickly. This should bring you to the contrast and light dimming adjustment...

Dan
JonLevis (07-11-2018)