Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts
Default Dock Damage

Just went down to my waterfront today and notice that my crank up dock got pushed crooked by that micro burst last week. The dock is hindge to a 1000 lb block of cement and the wind moved it. Now I've got to figure out how to staighten it out before dropping it in the water. That's a first for me.
Maybe a chain to the trailer hitch of my pick up?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #2
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Just went down to my waterfront today and notice that my crank up dock got pushed crooked by that micro burst last week. The dock is hindge to a 1000 lb block of cement and the wind moved it. Now I've got to figure out how to staighten it out before dropping it in the water. That's a first for me.

You can probably do more with less strain on your truck by using a come-along. Moves heavy objects nice and slow...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #3
ApS

Thumbs up Good Luck, Trying...

Quote:
Just went down to my waterfront today and notice that my crank up dock got pushed crooked by that micro burst last week. The dock is hinged to a 1000 lb block of cement and the wind moved it. Now I've got to figure out how to straighten it out before dropping it in the water. That's a first for me.
It's going to be difficult to duplicate the force of the wind that moved your dock. You were lucky that the block didn't fracture—which happened to my neighbor's new block! Unless you have a slope, you can try the truck's trailer hitch. Protect the concrete block from chain damage with 2x6s.

While I agree that a come-along is how I'd proceed, the $20 model isn't going to turn it. You'd need at least the $40 four-ton model, and even that may need some help.

Alternatively, if you have clear space to lower the dock, either walk-out or boat-out to secure three or four lines to it—to spread out the "pull". Here, you can use three or four of the $20 come-alongs. (And a strong tree). A strong wind from a helpful direction would be a plus.

From a confirmed "Home-Handyman", good luck with this venture!

Sinclair (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
Biggd

I have a 2 1/2 ton come along. I don't think that's going to cut it. I'm goung to try my truck with a chain in 4 wheel low first and see if that will work. After that IDK?

Old 05-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
Hillcountry

Quote:
I have a 2 1/2 ton come along. I don't think that's going to cut it. I'm goung to try my truck with a chain in 4 wheel low first and see if that will work. After that IDK?

Love to see pics of your dock and what you need to do to straighten it out!
4x4 low range is awesome but you’ll need traction!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #6
winniskier

Default Consider this

My neighbor has a dock that hinges at the shore. Whoever installed it set the concrete block such that the dock is substantially not perpendicular to the shore. This cause problems since our shoreline is fairly congested.

The hinge bracket for his dock faces flat against the block vertically, face to face along the shore. I have thought about asking my neighbor to to shim his hinge bracket on one end where it faces the cement block such that the dock is moved to perpendicular. He likely would need to add a filler wood insert at the deck level to fill the angular gap where the dock transitions to the block.

Not sure if I am explaining this clearly. The bottom line is consider adjusting the hinge bracket rather than moving the block.
winniskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
Biggd

It's moved way too much for just an adjustment. The cement block needs to be moved.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #8
MBNeckguy

How about renting an excavator for the day and simply repositioning it? MB tractor rents a selection of sizes that could move a 1/2 ton block fairly easily, by the day. They will drop off and pick up as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
MBNeckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #9
Biggd

I only went up for the day yesterday and had other chores planed. I didn't bring any chains with me so I'm going to bring up some heavy duty chains next weekend and attempt to pull it back into place with my pickup truck in four wheel low.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #10
camp guy

Default Dock damage

You might be able to increase your pulling power if you can incorporate a multi-part block and tackle in your process, and, a helper with a strong bar to maybe give the block a little tweak.

"Never start a DIY project that will take longer than the amount of time left before the hardware store closes".
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #11
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
You might be able to increase your pulling power if you can incorporate a multi-part block and tackle in your process, and, a helper with a strong bar to maybe give the block a little tweak.

"Never start a DIY project that will take longer than the amount of time left before the hardware store closes".
Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to throw a crow bar in my truck too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (05-14-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 07:14 AM   #12
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

I have a 7K winch that fits into a standard trailer hitch receiver if you want to borrow it. I run it off a battery and heavy jumper cables. I will not be back home until Sunday though.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Biggd (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 07:16 AM   #13
Dave M

Solution mentioned would seem to do the trick. I have a setup up similar to yours. When installed they put a rebar into a boulder and used high density concrete. My hinge point sits on top of the block. If you get this back to position I would drill a hole as far as you could on either end and insert a rebar to hold into place.
Also it wasn't mentioned if you used side cables. When Raise-A-Dock install our dock(33'X6') he gave us a set of steel cables to connect the dock to trees that were on shore. I have a steel cable around the tree and have a adjustable thread piece with hooks on both ends, one for connect to tree, one for the cable coming from the dock. I tighten them as much as I can. Cable is about 1/3 back from the end of the dock and its about 45 degrees from dock to tree. This was a requirement for lifting our dock. I now see why. It would take some very strong winds for this dock to move. If you don't have these side cables I think it would solve your dock from moving.
Hope it all works out.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave M For This Useful Post:
Biggd (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #14
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Solution mentioned would seem to do the trick. I have a setup up similar to yours. When installed they put a rebar into a boulder and used high density concrete. My hinge point sits on top of the block. If you get this back to position I would drill a hole as far as you could on either end and insert a rebar to hold into place.
Also it wasn't mentioned if you used side cables. When Raise-A-Dock install our dock(33'X6') he gave us a set of steel cables to connect the dock to trees that were on shore. I have a steel cable around the tree and have a adjustable thread piece with hooks on both ends, one for connect to tree, one for the cable coming from the dock. I tighten them as much as I can. Cable is about 1/3 back from the end of the dock and its about 45 degrees from dock to tree. This was a requirement for lifting our dock. I now see why. It would take some very strong winds for this dock to move. If you don't have these side cables I think it would solve your dock from moving.
Hope it all works out.

Dave M
I think what you’re describing (thread piece with hooks) is called a turnbuckle.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #15
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I have a 7K winch that fits into a standard trailer hitch receiver if you want to borrow it. I run it off a battery and heavy jumper cables. I will not be back home until Sunday though.
I appreciate the offer. I own the dock with two other home owners both in their 70's, I'm 64. We are all going to put our heads together Saturday and see if we can get it back into place but I don't want anyone getting hurt over it. If we can't do it we may just hire someone and split it 3 ways. I will give an update after the weekend.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #16
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I hate to say this but your troubles maybe just beginning. Now that the block has dislodged itself, it will likely continue to happen. Additionally I would be very careful using something like a vehicle to slide the block back into place. Your dock which I assume is still attached an up in the air could have damage from the original move, and further damage could happen with sudden move back to position. The quicker the block is moved back in place, the more momentum can be built up in the entire assembly, and you may find that out at the end of the dock there is some serious torque being created and causing damage.

I recommend something like this be down with a come-along, and the block be moved slowly....
Old 05-15-2018, 04:04 PM   #17
Biggd

NWS just confirmed tonight that a tornado touched down in a 36 mile path through NH on May 4th. I don't know if we had a tornado but it was pretty scary and powerfull.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:09 PM   #18
welch-time

What about using the dock to lever the block back into position? Just lower the dock until the legs are still a few inches above the lake bottom, then attaching a cable to the far end and using the dock as a lever to pull it back into position. 1000 lbs doesn't sound like a lot of weight for a dock of any size and the force required to pivot the block is considerably less than that. If the dock moved it once without damage it should be able to move it back to the original position. Just a thought. How about some pics?
Good Luck.

“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. ”
― Archimedes

Last edited by welch-time; 05-15-2018 at 10:36 PM.
welch-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:53 AM   #19
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by welch-time View Post
What about using the dock to lever the block back into position? Just lower the dock until the legs are still a few inches above the lake bottom, then attaching a cable to the far end and using the dock as a lever to pull it back into position.
I would not do it that way. The amount of stress you could put on the dock, because of the leverage, could damage the dock itself. The aluminum docks are built to carry the weight vertically but they are substantially weaker horizontally.

I have two aluminum docks and cables to keep them from swinging while in the air during the winter, as described by Dave M. above. The first winter I did not connect the cables to the 47 foot dock because I was not aware of what purpose they served. That was a mistake because the stress of moving side to side caused two of the welds on cross members to break. Lesson learned.

It was difficult to locate someone to make the repairs with a portable aluminum welder (TIG, MIG) or a welder that could operate from a truck 75 feet away.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #20
ApS

Arrow EASY Does It...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I would not do it that way. The amount of stress you could put on the dock, because of the leverage, could damage the dock itself. The aluminum docks are built to carry the weight vertically but they are substantially weaker horizontally. I have two aluminum docks and cables to keep them from swinging while in the air during the winter, as described by Dave M. above. The first winter I did not connect the cables to the 47 foot dock because I was not aware of what purpose they served. That was a mistake because the stress of moving side to side caused two of the welds on cross members to break. Lesson learned. It was difficult to locate someone to make the repairs with a portable aluminum welder (TIG, MIG) or a welder that could operate from a truck 75 feet away.
The block should be turned using an extremely slow input of force. (You don't want any "wiggles" at the end of the dock).

Now is the time to invest in a farm jack. I see the price has dropped to $40.11, but it'll probably be above $60 locally at Lowe's, Northern Tool, Home Depot, or Tractor Supply.

The jack can be used to (gently) "pre-load" the concrete block. It's 3.5-ton capacity will produce far more force than a crowbar, wrecking bar, or (the ideal) digging bar.

It'd be tempting to use the block's hardware to turn it; instead, I'd put a loop in the "business-end" of the chain—run the chain back through the loop, and wrap the chain around the block in the direction the block should be turned.

I can't recall from ten years ago just what broke on my neighbor's concrete block, but it looks like "hardware" was involved:

Attached Images

Old 05-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #21
welch-time

Well, I didn't say "pull on the cable with a bulldozer", just pull on it by hand (carefully) from shore or an adjacent dock and see how it goes. Use a steady force. Common sense should be used. I think it would require a surprisingly small amount of force. My brother in laws dock suffered the same fate last year except his dock hinge plate ripped out of the concrete after one of his side support wires snapped (another micro-burst we assumed). The dock then bent the 1/2" steel hinge plate like a pretzel and settled upright nicely alongside the shoreline. Surprisingly the aluminum dock was fine. Most aluminum docks are basically just big truss beams laid on their side and should handle the load just fine. Maybe get a couple guys with digging bars lifting and prying the block at the same time.

Of course if it was built by "Goober's pretty-good Docks" then all bets are off.

Post some pics. This is interesting.

Last edited by welch-time; 05-16-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:02 AM   #22
Biggd

I'm a weekender so I won't know until I get back up there this weekend. I wasn't prepared for this last weekend as I didn't know what had happened. I never went down to the waterfront the weekend of the storm.
The 7 ton winch that VitaBene offered sounds like it would do the trick but I'm bringing up chains and other hardware to try, we'll see what happens. I don't want to risk damaging the dock so I'm not sure I want to be pulling it from the end.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will report back after the weekend.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:13 AM   #23
welch-time

Good luck (don't forget the foam noodles).
Old 05-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #24
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by welch-time View Post
Good luck (don't forget the foam noodles).
I'm going to have to call FLL for those.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #25
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
I'm going to have to call FLL for those.
FLL uncharacteristically quiet lately
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #26
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Time out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
FLL uncharacteristically quiet lately
Maybe put in timeout!

Dave
Old 05-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #27
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Maybe put in timeout!

Dave
Very Funny....
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:30 PM   #28
Dave M

Just another thought. Do you have an electric winch for pulling the dock. You may have stressed the winch setup. I have a winch mounted on a pedestal and the cable coming from the dock has an extra cable loop which connects to the pedestal and than I release the winch cable. If you just have the cable to the winch I would put another cable, etc to the dock cable just in case something goes wrong with the winch setup.

Dave M
Old 05-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #29
DickR

I have one additional thought on moving that block by whatever means. Pulling a block away from whatever rock and dirt is behind it is one thing, but it may well require a lot more force to push it back against that material if it has settled in at all behind the new position of the block. Some excavation may be required first.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:15 AM   #30
Dave M

Just curious how you made out moving the dock back into original position.

Dave M