Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
jetskier

Talking Mt. Gunstock Turkey

My neighbor and I were doing our weekly climb (with his dog). We were about 3/4 of the way to the top walking through an area of high grass. His dog was a few feet in front of us and wandered a foot or so off the trail. All of a sudden a turkey reared up right in front of us screaming. Apparantly, it had been sleeping in the grass and startled by the dog. A real cardiac arrest moment. The turkey went running into the woods and we continued on our way. Wonder what my wife would have done if we brought the thing back to be cleaned and cooked.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default They're Everywhere!

Associated Press
Quote:
CONCORD, N.H. — New Hampshire Fish and Game officials say the state’s wild turkey population is so large they’re expanding the fall hunting season to trim the size of the flock.

Officials say four wildlife management units in the southeastern part of the state are being added to the Oct. 11-15 shotgun season.
Wild turkeys were wiped out in New Hampshire in the mid-1800s, but 25 birds were reintroduced in 1975. Biologists say those birds have now expanded to a statewide population of between 25,000 and 40,000 birds.

The New Hampshire Union Leader says that last year 4,063 birds were taken by hunters. The state’s new rules expand turkey hunting in Hillsborough and Strafford counties

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
fpartri497

Default turkeys

for the last 4 years, I have a flock of 24 turkeys that hang out my back yard. In the winter daily. In the summer I only see them occasionly. I estimated their weight at about 22 Lbs. ea. they are lucky I dont own any firearms.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
My neighbor and I were doing our weekly climb (with his dog). We were about 3/4 of the way to the top walking through an area of high grass. His dog was a few feet in front of us and wandered a foot or so off the trail. All of a sudden a turkey reared up right in front of us screaming. Apparantly, it had been sleeping in the grass and startled by the dog. A real cardiac arrest moment. The turkey went running into the woods and we continued on our way. Wonder what my wife would have done if we brought the thing back to be cleaned and cooked.

Jetskier
Might have been protecting it's young also. Scares the you know what out of you and then, when that doesn't work, it tries to lead you away from it's young by running into the woods.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
Pineedles

I would be glad to take care of at least one NH turkey this fall. I got skunked here in CT for the Spring turkey season this year.

Very unusual to be able to get that close to a turkey walking in the woods. Their hearing and eyesite is very acute. Must have been youngsters there as opined by hilltopper.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
jetskier

Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
Might have been protecting it's young also. Scares the you know what out of you and then, when that doesn't work, it tries to lead you away from it's young by running into the woods.
The first reaction was for it to jump with its wings spread as wide as possible and scream at the top of its lungs. I think that your theory is right. We did not see any young in the tall grass, but that is probably the idea.

Having a bird of that size pop up in front of your face screaming definitely gets your attention. I think that I can skip the cardiac stress test this year (already had one).

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Not that hard to get close to them. I got this picture in my backyard last year. They are usually around my house in the Fall. I just walked out there and took their picture....I don't think Tom was very happy about ti though....

Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote