Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2019, 08:19 PM   #1
Fig

Default Going to Dow island on August 3rd

Hi all, I am excited and terrified to come to lake Winnipesaukee for the first time. I am a comedian who worked in and around Lake winnipesaukee for 20 some years. I will be coming up to Dow island on August 3rd thru the 10th and can't deny that I am quite intimidated by how vast the lake is. Wondering if anyone can give me some advise on how to navigate this massive lake and what areas might be worth visiting. I have a 16 foot Bayliner so I will be staying away from the Broads, I've also noticed that the "GRAVEYARD" is just north of the island. Help...
Fig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
Mr. V

The two "must see" spots in my opinion would be Wolfeboro and the Weirs.

If rafting appeals to you, check out the action at Braun Bay and West Alton Marina on weekends.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
8gv

The Broads are only rough if it's really windy.

The real issue is boat wakes.

Think "blender".

Welcome and have a great time!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:49 AM   #4
ericnh

Default Stay North and East of black buoys and South and West of red buoys

White with Red Top

If heading east or west, go south of this buoy. If heading north or south, go west of this buoy.

White with Black Top

If heading east or west, go north of this buoy. If heading north or south, go east of this buoy.

Get a navigational map of the lake (by Bizer) at most marinas and you can get a map for your phone or tablet that will show hazards, recommended routes.

Best of luck and enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig View Post
Hi all, I am excited and terrified to come to lake Winnipesaukee for the first time. I am a comedian who worked in and around Lake winnipesaukee for 20 some years. I will be coming up to Dow island on August 3rd thru the 10th and can't deny that I am quite intimidated by how vast the lake is. Wondering if anyone can give me some advise on how to navigate this massive lake and what areas might be worth visiting. I have a 16 foot Bayliner so I will be staying away from the Broads, I've also noticed that the "GRAVEYARD" is just north of the island. Help...
ericnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:51 AM   #5
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnh View Post
Get a navigational map of the lake (by Bizer) at most marinas
You can also order one online (and help support this site):

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/index.php?pageid=store
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
LoveLakeLife (07-27-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2019, 06:52 AM   #6
MikeF-NH

It is good that you feel intimidated in being new to the lake. That suggests a healthy level of respect. I love the Dow/Whortleberry area and that section of the lake does seem small compared to the rest of the lake but it is also loaded with hazard to the uninitiated. The north side of the island (toward the graveyard) has a string of hazards that line the island that go over 1/2 mile off shore with some nasty rocks inside them. Identify them and be aware.

The west side has a narrow "channel" of hazards between Dow and the mainland. East side is most approachable. You can avoid the Graveyard if nervous by swinging east of Whortleberry and between Melvin and Chase islands.

Not sure where you are launching but you probably also should be aware of the 6 pack and the markers as you near the Long Island Bridge. The deeper you go into Moultonboro Bay (towards Greens Basin)...the more you have to be aware of hazards even out in the middle.

As for the Broads, at least there is limited areas to worry about hazards. Watch the weather forecast and if the wind exceeds 10 mph...consider staying in your section of lake. Going to Center harbor area is a good "compromise".

Finding dock space in Weirs, Merideth and Wolfboro can pose challenges on weekends.

When following someone, don't consider they know what they are doing...there are many who do not. Be aware of no wake zones and the 150 foot rule. Consider picking up a bizer map of the lake and the Navionics program for your cell phone. They will provide good information for learning the lake. Be cautious but don't let that stop you from exploring on good days (especially early in the day and on weekdays).
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
Fig (07-28-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 10:47 AM   #7
FlyingScot

I'm with MikeF on Moultonboro Bay--not a good idea for a beginner, especially the Tuftonboro side
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Fig (07-28-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 11:37 AM   #8
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I'm with MikeF on Moultonboro Bay--not a good idea for a beginner, especially the Tuftonboro side

As long as you take your time use caution and a good bizer map and some decent common sense he will be fine. In my opinion the difficulty of the area can be exaggerated by some as long at you are a safe boater

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Fig (07-28-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 05:19 PM   #9
kawishiwi

Default I dunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
As long as you take your time use caution and a good bizer map and some decent common sense he will be fine. In my opinion the difficulty of the area can be exaggerated by some as long at you are a safe boater

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Recently at Melvin Village Marina I asked a tech how many lower units were currently in the shop for rock strike repairs. The answer was 7, as far as he knew...
Fig (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #10
Fig

Default Thanks for the great suggestions

Thanks for all the great replies and suggestions, I did pick up two Bizer maps and had them laminated, I also got the Novionics app on my phone although I have T-Mobile and I’m hoping that I have coverage there, I also have Navionics on my Lorance chart plotter fishfinder, I’m still working on how to use it properly, and I will keep my speed to a minimum until I know what I’m dealing with ha ha. I will be launching from Herilla yacht club, cutting through the six pack and straight in to the house we’re renting, hopefully the west side of Dow Island is fit for a little tubing with the kids.
Fig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #11
DickR

Quote:
....hopefully the west side of Dow Island is fit for a little tubing with the kids.
The area bordered by Dow Island, Pleasant Island, Long Island, and Morrison Cove at the end of M'boro Neck is good for tubing, but keep to the west of the two red markers between Dow and Morrison Cove. Weekend boating gets heavy in this area, so be watchful of other boats when pulling kids on a tube.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
Fig (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #12
kawishiwi

Default Sounds good

Quote:
Thanks for all the great replies and suggestions, I did pick up two Bizer maps and had them laminated, I also got the Novionics app on my phone although I have T-Mobile and I’m hoping that I have coverage there, I also have Navionics on my Lorance chart plotter fishfinder, I’m still working on how to use it properly, and I will keep my speed to a minimum until I know what I’m dealing with ha ha. I will be launching from Herilla yacht club, cutting through the six pack and straight in to the house we’re renting, hopefully the west side of Dow Island is fit for a little tubing with the kids.
At the risk of igniting the paper map vs gps debate, I suggest you lean heavily on the navionics gps map. Its great you have the paper map but a working gps doesnt lose track of where it really is the way a boater can.
I learned the lake first in that very area and the gps was huge for me.
Generally there is a lot of room to tube west of Dow. There is a massive shoal to the northwest to be aware of. It is marked but not particularly well marked. It shows up in the Navionics map quite obviously.
My second or third trip on the lake I fished that shoal and saw that almost every large underwater rock within a couple of feet of the surface appeared to have evidence of a motor strike on it.
One careful circumnavigation of that bay will set you up to have fun.
Fig (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #13
eillac@dow

Default You will do fine

Fig, you will do fine! I grew up on Dow.

We keep our boat at Harilla Landing . Going from the marina to the island is easy. You do go through the six pack but that is not an issue at all. I am always the amazed at how people are so concerned about the six pack as for me it’s no big deal at all you go straight through.

I am guessing you are renting one of my neighbors house which is on the west side of the island facing the Long Island bridge.

We typically never head up to Moultonborough Bay because it is quite rocky treacherous . I really don’t think there’s much up there. But then again I haven’t gone up there in a while.

One word of caution is do not take your boat between Dow and Pleasant there are no markings but it’s not safe passage .

My recommendations for tubing would be right out in front of the island. Mid week tubing should not be too bad with boat traffic .

Try taking a nice little ride through the hole in the wall which is a little passageway between Bear Island in Cow Island. Take a ride to Center, Harbor even Meredith . I would say Wolfeboro but like you said you have a 19 foot Bayliner if it’s a really rough it could get tough.

Center Harbor, if you were able to put yourself in a dock space you can walk over and get an ice cream at red Hill Dairy or run over to Senters market or the liquor store.

You can get gas at Trexler‘s Marina which is right underneath the Long Island Bridge Street across from the island . Further along from there is Braun Bay but honestly I don’t know if you really need Braun Bay if you’re staying on an island.

There’s plenty to do in Meredith, restaurants, the town docks, little shops. you’ll have fun there . But just watch the wave action . That would definitely be a weekday trip not weekend .

When we venture out I am typically the map reader and my husband is the boat driver . Study the map before you go anywhere in even use a Dry Erase marker to map out your course If the map is eliminated you should be able to erase it after the fact.

It can get windy on some days on the west side of Dow .. if it does my recommendation to you is keep you bow out while docked.

I hope you enjoy your stay. Have fun 😀
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:47 PM   #14
phoenix

Regarding buoys the one thing i remember from boat safety school was red is hot black is cold so stay north and east of black ( tends to be cold states) and south and west of red ( hotter states )
Old 08-01-2019, 08:27 AM   #15
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I will be over up there on the 3&4 at my place on Long Island, as your smart enough to be looking for Advice, I am willing to meet up, and take a tour of the area by boat if you would like......

Don't be scared of the broads especially during the week. As long as it is not windy there really isn't much of an issue.....( I have a 18' boat, and go back and forth across the broads all the time)

Send me a PM if you would like to talk or potentially meet up Saturday or Sunday....
Old 08-01-2019, 08:47 AM   #16
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I will be over up there on the 3&4 at my place on Long Island, as your smart enough to be looking for Advice, I am willing to meet up, and take a tour of the area by boat if you would like......

Don't be scared of the broads especially during the week. As long as it is not windy there really isn't much of an issue.....( I have a 18' boat, and go back and forth across the broads all the time)

Send me a PM if you would like to talk or potentially meet up Saturday or Sunday....
That is extremely nice of you to offer a newbie a tour. Kudos!!!!!
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote