Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
Oletimer

Default Fios

Anyone on the Forum have Ver.Fios and a Smart tv? Is Ver.Fios even in the lakes region? If anyone does have a Smart tv by Samsung have they ever tried to view any photos on a large screen from their PC? Especially wirelessly via their Network?

Wondering what you think of the whole setup by Samsung-easy? Difficult? Etc.

Thanks.
Oletimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Verizon isn't in NH - they sold their assets to Fairpoint, which hasn't built out FIOS beyond what Verizon had already done. There was never TV over FIOS in NH, that I'm aware of. As for viewing pictures on your big screen, I highly recommend Google's Chromecast, a $40 thumbdrive sized device that plugs into your TV's HDMI port. Then, you can wirelessly cast your browser or whole screen to the TV. It can also directly play Youtube and Netflix (and apparently now Hulu Plus) sessions.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Patiently Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
Verizon isn't in NH - they sold their assets to Fairpoint, which hasn't built out FIOS beyond what Verizon had already done. There was never TV over FIOS in NH, that I'm aware of. As for viewing pictures on your big screen, I highly recommend Google's Chromecast, a $40 thumbdrive sized device that plugs into your TV's HDMI port. Then, you can wirelessly cast your browser or whole screen to the TV. It can also directly play Youtube and Netflix (and apparently now Hulu Plus) sessions.
Pretty sure that Verizon just sold off their phone lines to Fairpoint, not their fiber optic infrastructure and rights to offer Fios in NH.

I believe several towns in Southern NH have Fios available...
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
boat_guy64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patiently Watching View Post
Pretty sure that Verizon just sold off their phone lines to Fairpoint, not their fiber optic infrastructure and rights to offer Fios in NH.

I believe several towns in Southern NH have Fios available...

I live in Southern NH. They sold it all. No FIOS down here. I saw a FIOS map at the Burlington mall last week and it clearly did not cross into NH.

Verizon didn't want to spend the money to expand into NH and Fairpoint can't afford to.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
Oletimer

Thank you anyway. I wasn't sure if Verizon was in NH or the lake area. Thanks for replies.
Oletimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Rich

Here in southern NH I have what was originally Verizion FIOS, but is now FairPoint (whatever they call it, which may be called FAST instead of FIOS).

It works great for phone and internet! But they can't offer TV, and in fact, they will try to get you to sign up for DirectTV for TV service.

Unfortunately I can't get Satelite TV at my home due to the terrain blocking the signals, so I'm stuck with Comcast for TV.

When we were without power for two weeks during some major winter storms in the past, I still had phone and internet (I have a generator at home). But Comcast lost TV.

All of my neighbors that had Comcast phone, internet and TV lost all of their services after a couple of days during those storms (yes, even those with a generator).

But my fiber optic phone and internet continued to work as long as my generator was running. Unfortunately my Comcast went down, so having a generator doesn't help you past the first few days with Comcast..

I sure love the fiber optic (FIOS), features speed and realiability. I sure wish FairPoint could enhance the system to TV too, but I'm guessing they never will.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
All of my neighbors that had Comcast phone, internet and TV lost all of their services after a couple of days during those storms (yes, even those with a generator).
But you have cellphones, correct? It seems like land lines are becoming relic's, I haven't had one for the last decade. I always forget that people care about phone operability during a storm, we've had reliable cell coverage (verizon) and never really gave it much thought.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
But you have cellphones, correct? It seems like land lines are becoming relic's, I haven't had one for the last decade. I always forget that people care about phone operability during a storm, we've had reliable cell coverage (verizon) and never really gave it much thought.
We all know that cell phones might work during a storm, but how does your comment help the OP about FIOS? I'd love to keep my relic of a phone line and get FIOS, over the never ending price increases of cable, but I digress (too).
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
We all know that cell phones might work during a storm, but how does your comment help the OP about FIOS? I'd love to keep my relic of a phone line and get FIOS, over the never ending price increases of cable, but I digress (too).
Well, Fios and the lakes region is a short discussion. It's not available, and the economics of it make it unlikely to happen anytime soon.

What I meant by my comment is that I was mildly surprised that phone service availability seems like it should not be much of a deciding factor in things like this these days.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Well, Fios and the lakes region is a short discussion. It's not available, and the economics of it make it unlikely to happen anytime soon.

What I meant by my comment is that I was mildly surprised that phone service availability seems like it should not be much of a deciding factor in things like this these days.
My cell phone doesn't ring half the time due to the week Verizon signal in my home, and then there is the "where is it" and "battery dead" issues that make the cellular option unreliable for me. Since I have Vonage over Internet for $12 bucks a month, it still is very much of my equation to have land-line like phones around the house, and to have a "home" number.

Fairpoint has lots of fiber out to their DSL switches in the field, but brk-int is right when saying the last mile will remain copper in the lakes region for a long time.