Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2004, 11:08 AM   #1
itchin for fishin

Cool The Ideal Breakfast

Spent this summer with a goal of finding the ideal breakfast place you can reach by boat. Found many great places but never one that had it all. I would say that Ames Farm was the closest but the omelets were a little light on the fillings, everything else was great.

Here was my ideal breakfast:

Pancakes & Waffles: Ames Farms. Hands down winner!
Omelets: Naswa (Ames would have won this with more fillings.)
Home Fries: George's Diner--their red hash was great too!
Coffee: Tie between Ames and George's

I'm looking for your suggestions of my omissions for next year's summer fattening.

Last edited by itchin for fishin; 09-06-2004 at 06:31 PM.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
trfour

Donna Jean's, is exccellent. Just over the Weirs Bridge on the right.

1208 Weirs Blvd. Laconia. 366-5996

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 04:15 PM   #3
Mr. V

We boated one time to "A Small Cafe" near Irwin Marine.

I can't remember exactly how or where we tied up, but I hope it was "legal," and it was only a short walk to the restaurant.

The food was fine.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 07:38 PM   #4
Outlaw

Donna Jeans IS good, except they wouldn't put the extra cheese on the INSIDE of the omelet that I ordered (odd don't you think - the wait staff said they couldn’t do that - whatever, it was too early for me to even talk let alone have to have a debate about cheese ). Another GREAT place and real real casual is Paugus Bay Diner, right on Route 11 at the Gilford / Laconia line jut past Shaws (across the street from Barton's Motel and in the same plaza as Laconia Pet Center and Mr. Fireplace).
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 08:15 PM   #5
PaulS

Default George's Diner

Try the Banana Nut pancakes at George's Diner in Meredith. Yum.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2004, 09:08 PM   #6
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw
Donna Jeans IS good, except they wouldn't put the extra cheese on the INSIDE of the omelet that I ordered (odd don't you think - the wait staff said they couldn’t do that - whatever, it was too early for me to even talk let alone have to have a debate about cheese ). Another GREAT place and real real casual is Paugus Bay Diner, right on Route 11 at the Gilford / Laconia line jut past Shaws (across the street from Barton's Motel and in the same plaza as Laconia Pet Center and Mr. Fireplace).
Sorry Outlaw,
Seems that every where I go to eat around here gives me Great Food and service, as well!.... Maybe it's just my reputation, I have never been disappoinnted anywhere!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #7
fatlazyless

Cool

Meredith McDonald's 'Big Breakfast' for $3.24 w/ a glass of water, or the same meal in a Massachusetts' McDonald's for $3.15 because Massachusetts has a less expensive meals tax than New Hampshire, 5% vs 8%. Coffee is very expensive everywhere, except at home, where it costs next to nothing.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 03:13 PM   #8
Mashugana

Thumbs down Donna Jeans, Not so good breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw
Donna Jeans IS good, except...
The last time I tried Donna Jeans was August 2004 and I was dissatisfied again. Bacon, eggs, home fries, toast, coffee. My review:

Eggs, underdone even though I specified "over extra hard" with fully cooked yolk. The center of the yolks were wet, not fully cooked let alone extra well done.

Bacon, wilted and extra greasy. I like crispy bacon that's been drained.

Home fries were absolutely tasteless. I have had better frozen home fries. They looked good but had no taste. Reminded me of boiled potato cubes with paprika for looks.

The toast, how can you mess up bread? They did. A blob of butter (or butter substitute) melted in the middle of the slices of bread. It was soggy in a 2 inch circle in the middle of the toast and dry dry dry everywhere else.

Another in my party had pancakes. The cakes were OK but the maple syrup tasted terrible. It was not 100% maple syrup - it was some maple flavored breakfast syrup (mostly sugars). When they complained they were brought a few small packets of "real maple syrup".

Coffee is an individual taste. In my opinion the coffee I had sat in the pot too long and was too strong and bitter for me. Even with a ton of sugar and some cream.

Overall, I'd rather eat a McMuffin (which I don't care for but is a known item) than eat breakfast at Donna Jeans.
Mashugana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:16 PM   #9
Gilligan

Arrow New business for fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
.... Coffee is very expensive everywhere, except at home, where it costs next to nothing.
That's it fatlazyless. You should open up a coffee shop! The Dunkin' Donuts in Meredith always has a waiting line 20 minutes long when I go there in summer. You could siphon off some of that lucrative business. Make the coffee at home and sell it from a cart or stand or a store front. I'm sure you like to make money. That is unless you are too fat and lazy to do that. Or maybe, since you can afford waterfront property, you are just too wealthy to care about more income

Before I didn't know what a latte was. Now that I do I can't afford them .