Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
GTO

Default fighter jets in Ctr Harbor

Anyone catch the 2 fighter jets in/around Ctr Harbor today performing maneuvers? Awesome show. They were up high over the water and were circling above as if they were chasing one another. They were shooting what looked like flares. The sound of them as they flew by was unbeleivable. A little entertainment for about 5 minutes.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Anyone catch the 2 fighter jets in/around Ctr Harbor today performing maneuvers? Awesome show. They were up high over the water and were circling above as if they were chasing one another. They were shooting what looked like flares. The sound of them as they flew by was unbeleivable. A little entertainment for about 5 minutes.
head them yesterday when I was in Moultonborough, it has been a while since I'd seen any around used to see them flying over the Sandwich mountians alot.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
twoplustwo

Default they were some kind of loud

They usually do maneuvers over Sandwich Notch once a year or so. Seems to me they were having a little unscheduled fun yesterday as they headed towards the lake. Can't say that I blame them
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
fatlazyless

Those are A10S tank-busters from somewhere which use the mountainous terrain of New Hampshire for training. I have seen them in a team of two, over Lake Winnipesaukee, and over the White Mountain National Forest, a number of times. Doing fly-byes at ski area lifts and releasing silver beach balls as two A10's do aerobatics close to the tree tops. Nothing like the old yellow biplane that does aerobatics over the lake....

Low flying and slow, I read somewhere it is has a tank-killer cannon that shoots large bullets made of depleted uranium: one shot can destroy a big armored tank by burning it from the inside out.

Could be put to serious good use destroying Russian tanks in Georgia, tonight, with Lt Cmdr McCain on the stick.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-14-2008 at 08:45 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:40 AM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Unfortunately I can't remember the details but one of those big planes crashed in Wolfeboro many years ago? Anyone remember? It must have been 15 years ago.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2008, 07:02 AM   #6
Pineedles

Default Lost the warthogs

They weren't from Connecticut, we lost our Warthogs this spring. Well we really didn't lose them the Pentagon took them away from us.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:10 AM   #7
WeirsGuard

Default Warthogs Over Ctr. Harbor

There are a few Military Operating Areas (MOA's) over NH. Those A-10's were probably out of Barnes. Though not technically a Fighter, they do have a limited air to air capability. (An A-10 shot down an Iraqi helicopter during the first Gulf War using a television - guided air to ground missle.) They were probabaly shooting off the flares while simulating a ground attack. The flares are released to decoy any heat-seeking anti-aircraft missles as they tend to lock on to the hottest source, a flare being much hotter than the A-10's engines. I love the sound of jet engines - the sound of freedom!
WeirsGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsGuard View Post
There are a few Military Operating Areas (MOA's) over NH. Those A-10's were probably out of Barnes. Though not technically a Fighter, they do have a limited air to air capability. (An A-10 shot down an Iraqi helicopter during the first Gulf War using a television - guided air to ground missle.) They were probabaly shooting off the flares while simulating a ground attack. The flares are released to decoy any heat-seeking anti-aircraft missles as they tend to lock on to the hottest source, a flare being much hotter than the A-10's engines. I love the sound of jet engines - the sound of freedom!
The A-10 has been referred to by many adversaries as the Devil's Cross- it is the last thing a tanker would want to see!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #9
Woodsy

A-10 is slowly being phased out of active units... its a hell of an aircraft. Titanium bathtub to protect the pilot, triple redundant controls, monster cannon. Those depleted uranium milkbottles it shoots can wreak havoc on just about anything... although it will take more than one shot to kill a MBT.

Woodsy
Old 08-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #10
Seeker

That 30mm gatling gun firing at 3900rpm is something to fear. IIRC though it only holds 6000 rounds.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #11
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default They're out of Vermont.

The A-10 s are from the Vermont Air National Guard. They train over here in the White Mountains. When I was on a job in N. Sandwich a few weeks ago, two them kept flying over us. They were flying low and sow enough so we could get a good look at the insignia on their sides.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
Pineedles

Default Homeland Security

In the interest of Homeland Security I realize that this thread should be shut down and deleted. I have revealed information and apologize. Others may unintendingly reveal other information which can be helpful to those that do not share a love of Winnipesaukee much less the USA.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #13
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
In the interest of Homeland Security I realize that this thread should be shut down and deleted. I have revealed information and apologize. Others may unintendingly reveal other information which can be helpful to those that do not share a love of Winnipesaukee much less the USA.
There has been nothing written here in this thread that can compromise national security.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:00 AM   #14
Pineedles

Default Gotcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
There has been nothing written here in this thread that can compromise national security.
I knew if I put out the right bait I could catch me a terrorist. Hmm, VitaBene, sounds like a furriner name to me. Can you say Al kaada?
Old 08-15-2008, 07:55 AM   #15
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I knew if I put out the right bait I could catch me a terrorist. Hmm, VitaBene, sounds like a furriner name to me. Can you say Al kaada?
You caught me- I will have to give up my DoD Secret Cleararance now!!

Honestly though, there is so much in the public domain about the A-10, its capabilities, and their movements that those who hate us have much better places to get info- starting with our own government websites.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #16
Woodsy

Now if you were leaking info on the F-22 Raptor, JSF or the Aurora we might have an issue....

Woodsy
Old 08-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #17
Pineedles

Default A-10s

You're a good sport VitaBene! Honestly without the A-10s zooming in and out of Center Harbor I'll have nothing fast to watch come 2009. You're right our own Gov't web sites are the best place for nasty people to collect info.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #18
WeirsGuard

Default A-10's over Ctr Harbor

Back in the day I flew with a guy who was a program director for the A-10. Seems they had a problem where the left engine would stall when firing the cannon as a result of the exhaust gasses disturbing the airflow into the engine. (The cannon is slightly offset to the left.) Thousands of dollars and much engineering later the problem was finally solved by a crew chief who welded a piece of scrap over the left side of the fuselage that deflected the gasses. Made all the engineers look silly. Check out photos of any A-10 and you'll see a straight piece about a foot long on the forward left side of the fuselage. Speaking of low and slow; refueling these guys while going across the Atlantic turned a 4.5 - 5 hour flight into a 6 - 7 hour adventure. It was amazing how nice the A-10 drivers were when they were a 1000 miles out and running on fumes.

P.S. - I'd forgotten the VTANG had switched from F-16's to A-10's.
WeirsGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #19
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsGuard View Post
Back in the day I flew with a guy who was a program director for the A-10. Seems they had a problem where the left engine would stall when firing the cannon as a result of the exhaust gasses disturbing the airflow into the engine. (The cannon is slightly offset to the left.) Thousands of dollars and much engineering later the problem was finally solved by a crew chief who welded a piece of scrap over the left side of the fuselage that deflected the gasses. Made all the engineers look silly. Check out photos of any A-10 and you'll see a straight piece about a foot long on the forward left side of the fuselage. Speaking of low and slow; refueling these guys while going across the Atlantic turned a 4.5 - 5 hour flight into a 6 - 7 hour adventure. It was amazing how nice the A-10 drivers were when they were a 1000 miles out and running on fumes.

P.S. - I'd forgotten the VTANG had switched from F-16's to A-10's.
I can assure you, The Green Mountain Boys still fly F-16's. I haven't seen any A10's, but I'll keep my eyes peeled. It takes them much longer to leave the area than the F16's.

But, we do still make armament systems in Burlington for the A10.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote