Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts
Default Canada Geese and Goslings

Today I spotted this mated pair with 4 goslings, in the pond that is right across from the old Burger King here in Laconia.

DRH (06-02-2013), GFP (06-01-2013), SteveA (06-04-2013), trfour (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
AC2717

pictures are pretty but they are already pooping up our beach and grass areas, they are a PIA that need to be regulated, I saw a couple with 11 little ones, 11!

also down near my house this morning driving by a few farms they are in the planting fields poop and sitting around right next to the plantings

they need to go

Side note, rope and streamers went up this weekend on the waters edge
Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Default .........cheezit!

Cheez-its are a food fave for the canada geese ... and cheez-its fly sort of like a frisbee....no fool'n ....so you can toss a cheez-it with a sidearm motion for a pretty good distance....out to your neighborhood canada geese....from a distance of maybe 15-20 yards....... plus cheez-its will float .... just cheez-it!

About $3.95 in the large family size, red & orange cheez-it box.

www.cheezit.com

Cheez-its are a big hit with mallard ducks too!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Tired of Waiting

Thumbs down That's what we need......

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Cheez-its are a food fave for the canada geese ... and cheez-its fly sort of like a frisbee....no fool'n ....so you can toss a cheez-it with a sidearm motion for a pretty good distance....out to your neighborhood canada geese....from a distance of maybe 15-20 yards....... plus cheez-its will float .... just cheez-it!

About $3.95 in the large family size, red & orange cheez-it box.

www.cheezit.com

Cheez-its are a big hit with mallard ducks too!
Now if I did that I would have to clean the "orange poop" off my Dock along with the other colors!

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I'm with ya' TOW. I hate them and I don't hate many animals, especially baby animals. They are going right over my flags and rope now. The motion detector sprinklers aren't working, the coyote or whatever that animal is, isn't working, the air horn isn't working, and the dogs chasing them isn't working. I think garden fencing is next. They can't get through that, though they might fly over it.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Pollution Control fence.

or something similar along the beach where the grass starts to grow seems to be an effective deterrent. It's a pain as you need to remove it whenever company comes.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
ITD

I use the little wire fencing from Aubuchon, 18" tall and 8 foot length for about $6.00, works great.

http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore...ce-274621.aspx
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
tis

That is exactly what I am trying next, ITD. But the problem is I need more than 500 feet so it won't be cheap. The other stuff I bought wasn't cheap either but this will be the most. Oh I got one of those owls whose head moves too. The problem is they get used to everything. I think the flags and string would work if I could just keep it at the right height.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
That is exactly what I am trying next, ITD. But the problem is I need more than 500 feet so it won't be cheap. The other stuff I bought wasn't cheap either but this will be the most. Oh I got one of those owls whose head moves too. The problem is they get used to everything. I think the flags and string would work if I could just keep it at the right height.
$375 at $6 a section, I would ask for a quantity discount. My neighbor called Fish and Game, they gave or told him where to get a reflective tape that works also. It was either free or was very cheap. It works well and may be better for 500 feet. Just requires a few stakes and goes up and comes down easily.

Something like this, much cheaper, seems to work for my neighbor....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ird+scare+tape

Last edited by ITD; 06-03-2013 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Added tape
Old 06-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
tis

They get used to everything. That is the problem. I have decided a barrier is the only thing to keep them out. We do have some of that reflective tape (that is really made to keep birds away) and hung it around (didn't make a fence out of it though) and even the birds were scared of it at first, but soon got used to it and made a nest right beside a length of it! But I am always open to new suggestions, so if you hear of any more, let me know. I put my three plastic swans out this afternoon which will scare them for a few days I hope. Today they were not here. ????
Old 06-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Buy a couple of bags of cheez-its and.....

Quote:
I'm with ya' TOW. I hate them and I don't hate many animals, especially baby animals. They are going right over my flags and rope now. The motion detector sprinklers aren't working, the coyote or whatever that animal is, isn't working, the air horn isn't working, and the dogs chasing them isn't working. I think garden fencing is next. They can't get through that, though they might fly over it.
...and make a trail over to FLL's place .
ApS (06-04-2013), Belmont Resident (06-04-2013), LIforrelaxin (06-04-2013), trfour (06-05-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
ITD

Quote:
They get used to everything. That is the problem. I have decided a barrier is the only thing to keep them out. We do have some of that reflective tape (that is really made to keep birds away) and hung it around (didn't make a fence out of it though) and even the birds were scared of it at first, but soon got used to it and made a nest right beside a length of it! But I am always open to new suggestions, so if you hear of any more, let me know. I put my three plastic swans out this afternoon which will scare them for a few days I hope. Today they were not here. ????

Neighbor has them set up as a barrier, about a foot above the ground. The fencing I mentioned before works well though. The geese like to be able to run to the water unimpeded. Especially as they moult and can't fly that well. Be aggressive in shooing them away too. Don't slow down as you charge them, they act tough but they are chicken if they know you are not afraid of them. (You might run into a super brave one, I ran into one before but I had a boat hook in my hand, took all I had not to dispatch it, I just moved it along with the boat hook, once they realize you are not screwing around they leave.) I keep roman candles around too, aim right over their heads, but they get wise to that quickly and will run as they see you after that. I keep that stuff around in case the fence falls down. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
8gv

Regardless of goose poop issues...

Some very fine wildlife pics there! I wish I had your photo skills!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (06-05-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 04:04 AM   #14
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Someone once told me a paintball gun worked.

I'm with you they serve no useful purpose that I know of other than crapping all over anything they walk over. Docks, boats, beached, lawns.
Cute little chicks though.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #15
tis

I heard paintballs work too and firecrackers, but those are out of my league. I do chase them until they are out in the water but once they are in the water, they seem to know they are safe and move very slowly, maybe even going over to my neighbors or another place in my yard. One day I took the kayak and chased them way out in the lake. They weren't too happy that day, but quickly forgot that too.

If anybody wants to come over and help goose chase, you would be more than welcome.

Oh, I even got a slingshot (not to hit them but to scare them) and that does make them move. But I can't stand there all day and do that. Sunday, I put the rock in backward or something and shot myself. I have a big black an blue just below my shoulder.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #16
Pineedles

My solution is to not have grass growing at the waterfront. Just natural pine needles on the ground. No mowing, fertilizing, weeding, and no poop!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (06-04-2013), Merrymeeting (06-05-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #17
AC2717

They love our beach
the trick i found, after lots of research and going mad last year, is to use twine about 15 inches right at the water line on the beach. And sporatically place caution type streamers on the twine to move with the wind, but also so someone does not trip over in darkness. On the grassy parts that meet the water, place it a couple inches short of where the grass meets the water. It confuses them on the grass because they do not have enough room to hop up onto it, and on the beach they do not know how to navigate under it or above it, and by it being on the water line they cannot rest there beuase they are in the water so they take off

tried and true method for me after only two weeks last year at the cost of just a roll of twine, sticks from the property, and a roll of $1.99 caution ribbon.

another method that works is the ballon method, but with the heat will be replacing them every day. you tie the ballons to a stick with at least a foto lead to it, can be as long as you want. Throw them all over and when they move they become affraid of them because they do not know what to think, (make them all different sizes) and move them around - this worked for a friend onf mine, i started doing it but got sick of blowing up ballons every day
Old 06-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #18
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question Fll

Most towns have regulations about feeding the ducks. Wouldn't feeding these pesky geese be illegal too?
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #19
tis

The twine and the flags have really worked the best for me so far, too, AC. The problem is, as the water level goes up and down and as the posts pull out from the waves or whatever happens, they are not at the right height and I find myself adjusting them all the time. That's why I think the fence might work.

RG, I think there should be an ordiance against them even being in the lake. When you see how much they leave, you would not want to swim where they have been. I really think something is going to have to be done. Right now we don't have a lot, but last year someone posted a picture of about 25 of them -I think in Ctr. Harbor- and a few days ago I saw a flock fly over here. Two with their babies is bad enough!!!!
Old 06-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #20
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Most towns have regulations about feeding the ducks. Wouldn't feeding these pesky geese be illegal too?
That would be nice but we could start by not feeding the TROLL.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #21
PaugusBayFireFighter

My 3 cats have been having a blast with the geese. We have a few groups with goslings that are coming to my cove. A wrist rocket with a marble works great too. They come on my grass, they get marbleized!
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #22
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
My 3 cats have been having a blast with the geese. We have a few groups with goslings that are coming to my cove. A wrist rocket with a marble works great too. They come on my grass, they get marbleized!
I've always worried that would kill them, does this do any permanent damage?
I'm thinking that there should be open season on them year round.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #23
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I've always worried that would kill them, does this do any permanent damage?
I'm thinking that there should be open season on them year round.
No damage I can see other than a sore rear end. I don't shoot them up close and most marbles bounce off their full feathered back side. Most of the time I just run up on them and they flee...but once in a while they need an attention getter.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
ITD (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #24
Happy Gourmand

How about those floats that look like an alligator. They have one at Akwa Marina and I've seen them around a couple places. They claim they work with all migrating birds.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #25
tis

I haven't tried that Phantom!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #26
fatlazyless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_Goose

Over on nearby Horse Island, a canada goose couple recently tended their nest for about a month until one day they slowly paddled away with seven yellow baby geese between them.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #27
tis

Last night, five adults FLEW in. My dog and I chased them away. This morning the two were back with the babies and we chased them away again. They didn't go far, just to my next door neighbors. So I know they will be back to visit.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #28
fatlazyless

Number nine; first digit on an unreadable number stamped into an aluminum band on its leg; would identify it as the goose that used to be at Horse Island, not that it makes any difference? I have a couple photos except all canada geese look alike and it is basically impossible to identify one from another....say hey....www.cheezit.com are not just for ducks, and make good food for humans, too, especially with a quality beer like Pabst Blue Ribbon!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #29
PaugusBayFireFighter

I notice the geese settle after dark when it's quiet and most people are indoors. The other day I set my irrigation sprinklers to turn on at 1am and 5am. This seems to be sending the geese to yards without this annoyance to them (sorry Rob). They are creatures of habit and will settle where they get the most privacy. Between the cats and the sprinklers I think I have them on the run!
Old 06-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #30
Airedale1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Regardless of goose poop issues...

Some very fine wildlife pics there! I wish I had your photo skills!
Thank you! It saddens me that my attempt to share some of the natural beauty that we are blessed with here in the Lakes Region has descended into a diatribe on the evils of the Canada Goose. It's sad how a bit of poop on a lawn can so quickly turn people against one of God's creatures.

Anyways, thank you for the compliment and I am glad you enjoyed the images so here is another one.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #31
hilltopper

It's way more than the inconvenience of poop on your lawn. Do a search and read some of forum member Grant's comments on Canadian Geese. They have basically ruined a lake near him in Pennsylvania and if anything even close to what he describes happens to Winni it would be devastating. Candian Geese that are in this area year round are basically an invasive species.

P.S.: I enjoy your photos no matter the subject.
hilltopper is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hilltopper For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (06-06-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #32
AC2717

i love your photos, and sort of feel responsible for the hijack but someone else would have done it
i agree with hilltopper though, they showed up less than 10 years ago and have never left and re-populate like rabbits and mice and are overtaking the land and the lake and need to be controlled.

its not a little poop either, a couple of hours on them sitting on our beach creates a hour worth of work for me of clean up, its ridiculous and this is only what is found on the land not to mention what is going into the water continuously. and not to mention the feathers
Old 06-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #33
cillovely

The pics are very very nice and the chicks are cute, but I have been battling them for years even down here in Mass. And I live in a suburban area. Even at lunch today in Boston I came across more of them and more poop.

I have a brook that runs thru my backyard. Year after year they show up with thier kids, invite friends and thier kids. Sometimes I have had up to 20+ geese and goslings in my yard. Ugh.

This year the brook is running pretty fast, so they haven't stopped by. We have done fences and all that. Shoo them away, they wait across the brook for me to walk away and the come right back. I use a big stick just in case they get agressive, but they are more dumb than anything. I have had my son do the chasing on his battery operated ATV, that worked for a while.

There is supposed to be something you can put on your lawn that golf courses use. But it's pricey.

My puppy (Labrador) seems to love the poop to dine on. I want him to scare them, but so far when he sees one he's more afraid than anything.
cillovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #34
tis

That's right Airdale, I invite you to try to come walk in my yard after they have been here for a very short time. It is amazing how much they can poop. They are very cute, but once you meet the close up, you hate them. I think they are the only animal I hate. Hilltopper and ACand cill are right, it is not a LITTLE poop. And if something isn't done, they will ruin the lake. Something will have to be done. I know they took the ones in Back Bay in Wolfeboro and gassed them, which made me feel really sad. It seems there must be a better way to stop them before they become such a problem.

But your pictures are very nice and the goslings are very cute. So nothing personal
Old 06-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #35
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale1 View Post
Thank you! It saddens me that my attempt to share some of the natural beauty that we are blessed with here in the Lakes Region has descended into a diatribe on the evils of the Canada Goose. It's sad how a bit of poop on a lawn can so quickly turn people against one of God's creatures.

Anyways, thank you for the compliment and I am glad you enjoyed the images so here is another one.

Please let us know where you are, we'll share a few wheel barrows full so you can experience the joy also......
Old 06-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #36
tis

Quote:
Please let us know where you are, we'll share a few wheel barrows full so you can experience the joy also......

All he has to do is come to visit and take a little walk, or TRY to walk. It is impossible to step around it, there is so much.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #37
Airedale1

Quote:
All he has to do is come to visit and take a little walk, or TRY to walk. It is impossible to step around it, there is so much.
I am a wildlife photographer, this might come as a shock to you but I am familiar with the poop on the grass scenario. Do you think I'm using drones to take these images?

BTW as a wildlife photographer I find deer ticks and the threat of Lyme disease to be a much greater occupational hazard than a bit of bird poop. So, I guess maybe we should just get rid these guys as well.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #38
ITD

Paul, you take great pictures.

Each adult goose produces 1 to 3 pounds of poop per day, when 30 to 40 come visiting that can be up to 120 pounds per day in a small area. It turns an area into a slip and slide with gross consequences if you fall. While they are photogenic they are a problem. I think it's time for open season on them, let the people who enjoy them, enjoy them on the dinner table. They also can be quite aggressive, especially to kids or people who they know are afraid of them.

I'm not a big fan of deer either, 200 pound mice in my opinion, but other than eating my wife's tulips they are not a problem, they don't fill the yard with 100 pounds of poop.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #39
tis

Airdale, I don't think it is fair of you to be so sarcastic. You obviously don't have geese in your yard so they don't bother you. Going somewhere to take a picture is not the same as not being able to walk in your own yard. And maybe where you took the pictures, they had just arrived so there was only a "BIT" of bird poop. We do not have a BIT. We have a ton. Do you think poop is healthy to play in? And apparently you don't care if they could destroy Lake Winnipesaukee. Please allow the rest of us to have our opinions without your comments. If you don't think they are a problem, fine.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #40
secondcurve

Quote:
I am a wildlife photographer, this might come as a shock to you but I am familiar with the poop on the grass scenario. Do you think I'm using drones to take these images?

BTW as a wildlife photographer I find deer ticks and the threat of Lyme disease to be a much greater occupational hazard than a bit of bird poop. So, I guess maybe we should just get rid these guys as well.

Geese and Deer are not bad in themselves. Rather, it is the fact that both of these species have had explosive population growth due largely to man made conditions and this has led to damage and disease for people. The answer to the problem is to significantly reduce the population of both deer and geese. Unfortunately, many well intentioned individuals fight efforts to reduce populations due to their lack of understanding of the problem.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
MariaNYC (04-11-2014)
Old 06-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #41
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

As I've posted in the past, I've tried about everything...... roman candles, shellcrackers, fake foxes, even my grandson's remote controlled boat but the only thing that keeps them out permanently is the strings of flags that you buy in the party store......the kind that business' use for openings and such.
Using small stakes, string them so that the tips of the flags are 6" to 8" off the ground right at the waters edge. Don't leave any low spots for them to get around from the sides.
After a couple of weeks they left and don't even come in our bay anymore.
This is the 3rd year this has worked for us.....finally got rid of those fuzzy little water rats.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #42
jerseyonbear

Default Lawn Treatment

I have been told that a spray of cheap grapejuice will keep them away.
jerseyonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #43
Airedale1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
As I've posted in the past, I've tried about everything...... roman candles, shellcrackers, fake foxes, even my grandson's remote controlled boat but the only thing that keeps them out permanently is the strings of flags that you buy in the party store......the kind that business' use for openings and such.
Using small stakes, string them so that the tips of the flags are 6" to 8" off the ground right at the waters edge. Don't leave any low spots for them to get around from the sides.
After a couple of weeks they left and don't even come in our bay anymore.
This is the 3rd year this has worked for us
.....finally got rid of those fuzzy little water rats.
Bob, I hope some of the people on here who see the only solution to the Geese problem to be killing them, will follow your sage advice.

By simply educating yourself on the habits of these creatures you can learn how to keep them at bay. Typically, Canada geese cannot fly from mid-June to early July when they molt their primary flight feathers. They prefer to eat grass, especially young succulent shoots, found in abundance on mowed, fertilized lawns. Geese like short, succulent grass to feed upon because taller grass isn't as palatable to them. Mowed lawns also provide loafing areas where predators can be seen from a distance. By eliminating mowing at least 20 feet from shorelines or in even larger tracks of land, geese will be encouraged to shy away from these areas and look for safer spots with better food sources.

So, landscaping can play a huge part in whether or not you have geese on your property. If you choose to have a lush lawn as opposed to landscaping that needs little to no maintenance, you might as well be ringing a dinner bell for the geese.
MariaNYC (04-11-2014)
Old 06-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #44
tis

Samiam, I think I told you before that I did follow your suggestion and put out the party flags. They are all around my yard. This is the third year I think and they are starting to fade if you need someone needs proof that I used them. They did work pretty well the first year, but after that they haven't. Like everything they learned how to deal with them. Part of it is trying to keep them all at the right height as the water goes up and down, wave action, etc. but as soon as I adjust them, they find another place they can sneak under or over. They flap their wings a little bit even when they can't fly and manage to get over them. As I said, it is not like I only have a hundred feet of frontage, so it is hard to make sure they are all at the right height. So I am finally giving up on the flags too. But my fencing should be in tomorrow and I intend to get it up. I hope that works.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #45
Chaselady

We had a real problem with geese on our lawn. They pooped all over and made it difficult for us to use our yard because they are territorial and aggressive. We discovered they would stay away if we shot near them with paintballs ( they are very protective ) not hitting them but scaring them. Also, if we let the dog stay in the yard they would go and find somewhere else to hang out.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #46
Misha888

Default They are beautiful. As is this . . . EVERY morning.

Quote:

Your photos are beautiful. In reality "Poop" happens. When one is blessed to be able to pick up such a pile each and every day, it does get a bit daunting.

p.s. I'm not against the little lovelies, just due to the lack of hunting and over population they're taking over the lake and slowly killing it. That and the abundance of boats that are on the lake these days.
Attached Images

Misha888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #47
PaugusBayFireFighter

I noticed a bunch of goose 'cigars' on my walkway and docks yesterday morning. There were a few geese josling for territory the day before. They most likely won't be back for a while as they were 'motivated' to move along!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #48
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
I noticed a bunch of goose 'cigars' on my walkway and docks yesterday morning. There were a few geese josling for territory the day before. They most likely won't be back for a while as they were 'motivated' to move along!
Don't be so sure, they were probably back as soon as you went away. They are intelligent and motivated.....

The pile in the shovel in the pic above would be the first of about 40 in my yard from 1 day without continual "motivation" to keep them away.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #49
pcmc

Try chasing them with a remote control truck , remote control boat , and a remote control helicopter or the four blade version. That would be fun at the same time.
How about simply spraying them with a garden hose, or maybe PBFF could offer his fire dept. family some real hose training.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:14 AM   #50
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Don't be so sure, they were probably back as soon as you went away. They are intelligent and motivated.....

The pile in the shovel in the pic above would be the first of about 40 in my yard from 1 day without continual "motivation" to keep them away.
I'm intelligent and motivated also...the tools I used last year worked without fail.

Let the games begin.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:55 AM   #51
secondcurve

Default Another Perspective

I copied the below article from the news feed that is on Winnipesaukee.com. I think it offers a good perspective on hunting. I wish folks like Paul could understand the perspective of the hunter. And more importantly, I wish this group could grasp the problems with wildlife overpopulation. The vast majority of us eat meat products in our daily lives but many refuse to embrace the sport of hunting and the vital function it provides to keep wildlife populations in check. Why is there such a disconnect?

Quote:
Recently, I was taken to task by a reader from York, who chastised me for not knowing what I was talking about.

She mentioned that the animal kingdom self-regulates itself, but didn't go into detail except for bears, and she stated, "When a population of bears becomes too large for their habitat and food supply, fewer cubs are born, thereby effectively slowing or stopping population growth."

I guess she didn't know that female bears usually only have one or two cubs anyway. Often, the male bear will kill all the cubs in order for the female to go into heat again, which otherwise only happens every two years.

She went on to say that animal populations self-regulate without interference from humans. That is called starvation and is not a pretty sight. The other alternative is wolves, coyotes and many other carnivores — meat eaters — that will take down the smallest deer, groundhogs, raccoons, squirrels, birds, mice, etc. Another fact — household cats are the favorite meal of coyotes.

She also stated that the land will only support a limited number of any species. I agree with that. But she went on to say that if this were not so, we would be overrun by raccoons, birds, mice, opossum, lynx, etc., which we do not hunt.

I guess she doesn't get out much or would see all the dead raccoons, squirrels, opossums, etc. scattered all over the highways. Actually, most populations out there in the wild are either controlled by their predators or by humans through hunting, or in this area by collisions with automobiles. You see, the deer aren't self-regulating; a male deer will impregnate as many does as he can, as will a rabbit and many other wild animals. These populations, as you inferred, will eventually eat themselves out of house and home.

This has happened locally, as the residents of Long Island on Lake Winnipesaukee wanted to eliminate hunting deer so they could enjoy these beautiful animals. A few years later, the deer had eaten all the wild shrubs and trees, and began invading the homeowners' property on the island to sample the flowers and shrubs of the residents.

Then the residents wanted the deer to be trucked off of the island. This can't happen, as the stress levels of the deer will kill them and, if some were actually dropped off in territory that is unfamiliar to them, they will die quickly as they don't know where to go for safety, to sleep or food. Another danger is possibly transporting a diseased deer from one area to another.

Now, I don't know where she lives in York, but I would think that she has woods nearby. If so, then you have coyotes roaming behind your house. Like wolves, when the rabbits, cats and other prey are no longer available, they will leave the area and not return until the population is large enough to hunt.

As far as bear hunting goes, I don't hunt bear, but I will stand side by side with any hunter, fishermen, hiker or camper to protect their rights to hunt. I also would stand by your side for your right to protest.

I was taught by my dad that you don't shoot anything that you won't eat. It's a lesson that I have followed to this day. By the way, I have been hunting, fishing, camping and hiking for over 60 years. I know how to start a campfire, how to find water and where to get wood for the fire. I have been writing about the outdoors, hunting and fishing, for over 40 years. Those are my credentials. I know what I'm talking about because I've lived it all.

The issue I wrote about was Stratham Hill Park. That is where hunting has been as safe as it gets for over 300 years. So why can't the walkers and hikers go somewhere else for 38 days? Why do hunters have to give up their sport and why does it have to be posted no hunting?

Since I have to see the opponents' point of view, why can't you see mine?

Furthermore, Maine — and all other states — have biologists that watch over these animals. If there was a danger of any population being endangered, they would immediately shut down that hunting season. We should let them do their jobs.

By the way, I was born in Portsmouth and moved to Kittery when my parents took me home. I am a lifelong resident of Maine, except for my time in the U.S. Army, protecting all people — hunters or not.

Wayne Hooper is a member of the New England Outdoor Writers Association and a lifelong Seacoast resident. He can be reached at sports@seacoastonline.com.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (04-11-2014), jmen24 (04-11-2014), Pineedles (04-11-2014), Tired of Waiting (04-13-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #52
tis

Talk about fertilizer in the lake--------!!!!!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #53
pcmc

I'll try to say this with out being disrespectful !
I have heard, but do not know for sure , that our leader is having us send our living livestock of chicken over to China so it can be processed and sent back to us here in the states. Although I highly disagree with doing this because of potential corruption and not knowing what will be done to the then, food during 'their' process.

Why can't we send our over abundant geese population to China so it can be processed and distributed to fight world hunger?

By corruption , I mean, how hard would it be for China to receive 500k chickens say to us 100k were sick or unfit, and then feed their population on our dime? Sorry if this is not appropriate ... But I do not like the direction our leaders are forcing OUR (?) country!
The Following User Says Thank You to pcmc For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (04-12-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #54
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmc View Post
I'll try to say this with out being disrespectful !
I have heard, but do not know for sure , that our leader is having us send our living livestock of chicken over to China so it can be processed and sent back to us here in the states. Although I highly disagree with doing this because of potential corruption and not knowing what will be done to the then, food during 'their' process.

Why can't we send our over abundant geese population to China so it can be processed and distributed to fight world hunger?

By corruption , I mean, how hard would it be for China to receive 500k chickens say to us 100k were sick or unfit, and then feed their population on our dime? Sorry if this is not appropriate ... But I do not like the direction our leaders are forcing OUR (?) country!
Loosen up the tinfoil hat. The President does not have a personal hand in herding livestock around.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #55
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Loosen up the tinfoil hat. The President does not have a personal hand in herding livestock around.
I hear you. It seems after our trillion dollar buy out China has become our prominent business partner. There must be a lot of fine print that we can't read.
The Following User Says Thank You to pcmc For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (04-12-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #56
Rusty

Just to set the record straight if I may:

The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) has approved China for processing chicken that is sent to them from the USA. We still won't allow any of their chickens to be shipped to us.

So far there hasn't been any shipments to China for processing by any company in the USA. They don't think it is necessary even though they can.
pcmc (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #57
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Just to set the record straight if I may:

The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) has approved China for processing chicken that is sent to them from the USA. We still won't allow any of their chickens to be shipped to us.

So far there hasn't been any shipments to China for processing by any company in the USA. They don't think it is necessary even though they can.
Thankyou for taking the time to find that Rusty, I appreciate it.