Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
Steveo

Default set point well

Since a set point well only really works close to the water are there any restrictions to putting one in due to the Shoreline Protection Act.

Are there any companies that install them (including an enclosure for well head and pump)
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Grady223

What is a set point well?
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady223 View Post
What is a set point well?
A well point is a point that one drives into the ground hoping that they hit water and then pump it out. This is what they look like.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
Eagle

If you're on a lake, why not just put a suction in the lake and hook it up to a pump and tank? You have that right as a shoreland owner.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
RLW

Default Well point location

I have installed well points in locations where there is no water within miles. You can drive them most anywhere and draw water. Using a well point allows the water to be filtered more with it going through the soil. If you set a point 20 to 30' from known water such as the lake will be considerably cleaner from being filtered by the soil, however being close to the lake does not guarantee water at a shallow depth.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default where to put it.

When we lived in upstate NY, just north of Albany. Our neighbor across the street put in a point well. Our subdivision was probably about 200 feet higher than the Mohawk river, but he got a good flow of water at about 15-18 feet. I asked him how he knew where to drill, and he said midway between two good sized oak trees! I asked him why, and he said that was what he was always told, and it worked virtually every time. Seldom did he not hit water at a relatively shallow depth.
He was a little older than me, and seemed to be really in tune with "old Yankee ingenuity and lore."
trfour (05-12-2010)
Old 05-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
Mee-n-Mac

Wink Old horse knows his way home ... or to water

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
He was a little older than me, and seemed to be really in tune with "old Yankee ingenuity and lore."
Older than you ?!?! Came right off the Mayflower did he ?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
If you're on a lake, why not just put a suction in the lake and hook it up to a pump and tank? You have that right as a shoreland owner.
I draw from the lake now but if I put in set point I will be able to drink it and, if done right, be able to use it in winter. I do not have enough acreage for a regular well
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
NoBozo

I don't know if these can be "hammered" into the ground by hand or not. I saw one of these down in Maryland being "driven" into the ground....VERY sandy soil not far from the shore (200 yards?) of Chesapeake Bay.

The pipe was about 8 feet long. One fellow held the pipe verticle while another fellow with a back hoe "Leaned On" the top of the pipe with the small bucket, essentially pressing the pipe into the ground. It went right in in one stroke. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
lakershaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
I draw from the lake now but if I put in set point I will be able to drink it and, if done right, be able to use it in winter. I do not have enough acreage for a regular well
We filter the lake water, and it tastes great. Have a large sediment filter, then carbon filter, and then UV light. Our place has so many rocks a set point wouldn't work for us. As for water in the winter, you can still draw from the lake as long as you have the proper heated hose.
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

We have had lake water since 1984. It was supposed to be a temporary thing, but when I used it for washing, dishes, skin and hair, I loved it, it is so soft! I never wanted to give it up. We have all those filters like lakershaker has and have it tested every so often and it is always perfect. I bet a well wouldn't be! We use it all winter and don't have a heater on it. The only problem we ever had was the end tipped over out in the lake one year and was drawing sand so we had to have a diver go down and pick it up. It is buried by the beach and for a bit out into the lake and then just lies on the lake bottom. It is funny because we grew up not thinking of drinking the lake water but I wouldn't give it up for anything now!
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

We use the lake water as well and similar to tis and lakeshaker we also run it through two sediment filters and a UV filter. It then goes through a carbon activated filter before it comes out of the kitchen faucet and refrigerator ice maker. It tastes great and is super soft!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
We use the lake water as well and similar to tis and lakeshaker we also run it through two sediment filters and a UV filter. It then goes through a carbon activated filter before it comes out of the kitchen faucet and refrigerator ice maker. It tastes great and is super soft!

Dan
What does a reputable water testing show and please do not say you haven't had it tested by a professional several times a year (Season). Several = 3 or more times.

Last edited by RLW; 05-14-2010 at 04:28 AM.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #14
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
What does a reparable water testing show and please do not say you haven't had it tested by a professional several times a year (Season). Several = 3 or more times.
We only had the water tested once after the system was installed and there were no issues. I don't remember the particulars of the test report I just remember being told the water was fine. I have a lot of confidence in the simplicity and effectiveness of UV filtering and not sure what else could be done to improve what I have now. All water sources are capable of getting contaminated even artesian wells and most home artesians do not even utilize UV sterilization.

Dan
Old 05-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #15
idigtractors

Thumbs up

Quote:
We only had the water tested once after the system was installed and there were no issues. I don't remember the particulars of the test report I just remember being told the water was fine. I have a lot of confidence in the simplicity and effectiveness of UV filtering and not sure what else could be done to improve what I have now. All water sources are capable of getting contaminated even artesian wells and most home artesians do not even utilize UV sterilization.

Dan
Best of luck to ya. Contamination changes with just the water temperature change and mostly as the summer months go by. My well is 723' deep and I have it checked yearly and shock it every third year. It maybe over kill, but when kids are involved with the water it is never to much.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #16
ishoot308

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by idigtractors View Post
Best of luck to ya. Contamination changes with just the water temperature change and mostly as the summer months go by. My well is 723' deep and I have it checked yearly and shock it every third year. It maybe over kill, but when kids are involved with the water it is never to much.
I guess I am not following you...Are you saying UV sterilization does not work?? We change the bulb every year as required... What else can I do?? Is there something that works better to remove any form of bacteria from the water??

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 05-16-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #17
idigtractors

Quote:
I guess I am not following you...Are you saying UV sterilization does not work?? We change the bulb every year as required... What else can I do?? Is there something that works better to remove any form of bacteria from the water??
Dan
ishoot308 (Dan)
I really can not comment as I do not know enough UV sterilization to say it is good. However, if it is as good as some say why aren't there lots more using and well companies pushing for purifying well water verse all the tanks/chemicals etc. I know that large companies use it for certain conditions, but that is a lot different than a home use. One thing I do know that the bacteria really grows during the summer months as the water warms up in the lakes and pond. If you believe that you are doing the right thing I would say stick with it, but I defiantly would have it tested by a professional during the warmer months. A good water test will cost about $100 and after having one done I would stick to that person/company for any future as records are great and they will know what to look for. that is just my 2¢ and not intended to be any type of criticism. in whatever you do, but please be careful where kids are involved.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:44 AM   #18
jmen24

Quote:

Dan
You are all set for the UV as it kills any living or organic matter in the water. The sediment filter will clear the sand and any oils in the water. The carbon purifiers will clean the water, but carbon should be changed regularly, if it left in the water stream to long it starts to release its own issues into the water.

Main thing to be on a constant look out for in this area is Radon, from all that granite we have.

If you only want to do a water test once a year, perform it in August. That gives plenty of time for the lake to have some use and will give you time to adjust to what needs to be done before you close up the camp.

I would not recommend shocking "your" well, Dan. The EPA might have something to say about that!
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:46 AM   #19
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by idigtractors View Post
ishoot308 (Dan)
I really can not comment as I do not know enough UV sterilization to say it is good. However, if it is as good as some say why aren't there lots more using and well companies pushing for purifying well water verse all the tanks/chemicals etc. I know that large companies use it for certain conditions, but that is a lot different than a home use. One thing I do know that the bacteria really grows during the summer months as the water warms up in the lakes and pond. If you believe that you are doing the right thing I would say stick with it, but I defiantly would have it tested by a professional during the warmer months. A good water test will cost about $100 and after having one done I would stick to that person/company for any future as records are great and they will know what to look for. that is just my 2¢ and not intended to be any type of criticism. in whatever you do, but please be careful where kids are involved.
A UV system is standard practice for the well company we work with Wragg Brothers. They are much more common in residential use than you might think. At the same time you offer very good advice on keeping up with the well. Even with all the systems in place, one needs to still make sure that they are doing the job that is intended of them.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #20
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
You are all set for the UV as it kills any living or organic matter in the water. The sediment filter will clear the sand and any oils in the water. The carbon purifiers will clean the water, but carbon should be changed regularly, if it left in the water stream to long it starts to release its own issues into the water.

Main thing to be on a constant look out for in this area is Radon, from all that granite we have.

If you only want to do a water test once a year, perform it in August. That gives plenty of time for the lake to have some use and will give you time to adjust to what needs to be done before you close up the camp.

I would not recommend shocking "your" well, Dan. The EPA might have something to say about that!
Thank you Jmen, that was the impression I had regarding the UV sterilization is that it kills ALL micro-organisms in the water.

The August testing sounds like good advice. I will at least be able to tell if my UV system is working properly.

Thanks!

Dan