Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Just Sold

Default Weirs Beach Waterslide to be Torn Down

From the Laconia Sun today:

Weirs Beach Water Slide to be torn down soon

LACONIA — The Weirs Beach Water Slide, among the most venerable and visible attractions at Weirs Beach, is slated for demolition early next year.
The owner, Robert Csendes of Bedford, doing business as 45 Endicott, LLC, said yesterday that he has nearly completed an application for a demolition permit and expects to raze the facility sometime in January. He explained that the attraction is in disrepair and costly to insure or renovate.
Csendes said that intends to lease the 2.4-acre property at the corner of Endicott Street North (Rte. 3) and Lakeside Avenue overlooking the iconic Weirs Beach sign where he would construct a building to suit the needs of a long-term tenant. He indicated that he has discussed the redevelopment of the site with several interested parties. At the same time, he anticipates leasing space on the property to vendors during Motorcycle Week in June.
The water park features four slides with a 75-foot drop, several waterfalls and a 110-foot tunnel passing through what is billed as the tallest man-made volcano in the world, marked by the remains of a crashed airplane protruding from its flank. The slides wrap around an 18-hole miniature golf course that meanders through the water park. According to a city property tax card, the attraction was built in 1979.
Cesendes acquired the property for $580,000 at auction in January, 2010 after Bank of New Hampshire foreclosed on the property when Lawrence Baldi,II, whose family had owned the water park since 1995, was defrauded by Financial Resources Mortgage, Inc. of Meredith and defaulted on loans totaling $703,000. The property is currently assessed at $540,900.
The other water park at The Weirs, Surf Coaster USA, which was built at the corner of White Oaks Road and Endicott Street East in 1983, closed after the 2006 season and has been for sale ever since.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Silver Duck

Unhappy

Sad news, but I was afraid that would happen.
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
WeirsBeachBoater

Property has become an eyesore in the last few years. However, I cringe to think we will be staring at another empty lot. No doubt it will become one of the many pieces of property in that area, that the owner pulls money out of bike week, and then, us local residents have to stare at the ugly unmaintained lot for the other 50 weeks of the year.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to WeirsBeachBoater For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (12-07-2013), BroadHopper (12-05-2013), Colby (12-08-2013), Lin (05-04-2014), MeredithMan (12-05-2013), Reilly (12-08-2013), Resident 2B (12-06-2013), Waterbaby (12-06-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
MeredithMan

Agree with WBB. We lose an eyesore, but gain an empty lot. Like swapping deck chairs on the Titanic...

So this will join the empty lot at the old Karl's restaurant; the empty lot at the old Wide Open Saloon; the empty lot next to The Lobster Pound; the empty lot near The Cumby's gas station; the empty lot just up 11B heading toward Gilford....have I missed any?

MM
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Jeanzb1

Default I'm sad

I am truly sad to learn this news. The Water Slide has been a Weirs icon for decades. Even at age 66, I loved sliding with the granddaughters who are going to cry when they hear this news. And, by the way, we also miss the other water slide that has been closed for quite a few years.
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeanzb1 For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (12-06-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Orion

Default an opporunity?

Seems like a potential opportunity for some development group (similar to Meredith) to combine all those properties and build a first class resort area and shops in what seems to be a prime location.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Our society

Liability insurance is at an all time high. Many Mom and Pop ski areas have folded as well as water attractions and ride attraction to name a few. Now we have to pay outrages fees at the ski area, water countries and amusement parks so the few who makes a living suing people and companies can sponge off of us.

I will never forget a 20/20 segment on a man in California that actually make a living suing in court. He will actually travel and find a way to sue someone and gets away with it. They have also found others who do the same.

It is a sad situation.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Seems like a potential opportunity for some development group (similar to Meredith) to combine all those properties and build a first class resort area and shops in what seems to be a prime location.
A few years ago I heard through the grapevine that a group was considering purchasing the property by the roundabout where the Logs of Fun arcade, mini-golf, post-office, etc. are located, tearing it all down and building a Church Landing style Inn. If I remember correctly they wanted to build a new footbridge over the Weirs Channel to the beach and also invest in and upgrade the beach.

It could have just been a rumor and I never heard anything else about it. It certainly would have changed the Weirs.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-06-2013), Winnisquamguy (12-06-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
Fargo

Default Slide

Glad to hear it will be torn down. What ever takes its place on that prime corner will set the tone for the next 40 years for the rebirth or death of the Weirs.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fargo For This Useful Post:
Aldidonato (12-06-2013), Billy Bob (12-07-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
pcmc

This might be a good spot for a jumbo Ferris wheel. I wonder how the view would be from up there?
Just a thought.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmc View Post
This might be a good spot for a jumbo Ferris wheel. I wonder how the view would be from up there?
Just a thought.
IMO, the area needs more year-round things. Too much seasonal stuff.

On a related note, Laconia should do something to prevent major properties from being "bike week only" use. I really hate to suggest the government step in to more things, but it seems like the alternative is to just sit and watch the area decline.
WeirsBeachBoater (12-05-2013), Winnisquamguy (12-08-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
From the Laconia Sun today:

Weirs Beach Water Slide to be torn down soon
LACONIA — The Weirs Beach Water Slide, among the most venerable and visible attractions at Weirs Beach, is slated for demolition early next year.
The owner, Robert Csendes of Bedford, doing business as 45 Endicott, LLC, said yesterday that he has nearly completed an application for a demolition permit and expects to raze the facility sometime in January. He explained that the attraction is in disrepair and costly to insure or renovate.
Csendes said that intends to lease the 2.4-acre property at the corner of Endicott Street North (Rte. 3) and Lakeside Avenue overlooking the iconic Weirs Beach sign where he would construct a building to suit the needs of a long-term tenant. He indicated that he has discussed the redevelopment of the site with several interested parties. At the same time, he anticipates leasing space on the property to vendors during Motorcycle Week in June.
The water park features four slides with a 75-foot drop, several waterfalls and a 110-foot tunnel passing through what is billed as the tallest man-made volcano in the world, marked by the remains of a crashed airplane protruding from its flank. The slides wrap around an 18-hole miniature golf course that meanders through the water park. According to a city property tax card, the attraction was built in 1979.
Cesendes acquired the property for $580,000 at auction in January, 2010 after Bank of New Hampshire foreclosed on the property when Lawrence Baldi,II, whose family had owned the water park since 1995, was defrauded by Financial Resources Mortgage, Inc. of Meredith and defaulted on loans totaling $703,000. The property is currently assessed at $540,900.
The other water park at The Weirs, Surf Coaster USA, which was built at the corner of White Oaks Road and Endicott Street East in 1983, closed after the 2006 season and has been for sale ever since.
First the Woodshed, now the Weirs Beach Waterside, what is next the sinking of the Mount Washington in the Broads?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #13
fatlazyless

Default ....the new Weirs Beach traffic roundabout?

It just seems like the City of Laconia missed the boat a little bit when it comes to the physical appearance of the new Weirs Beach traffic roundabout. This new roundabout, built in 2012, is not particularly attractive looking when you compare it to the Meredith roundabout that's about five miles north in neighboring Meredith.

So, what is the difference? It is all about the smooth concrete outer circular apron of smooth concrete that is so visible at the Weirs. In Meredith, a few hundred grey granite cobbles were used as opposed to smooth concrete, and it makes a big difference in how the whole roundabout looks.

Weirs Beach has a very ugly roundabout, and Meredith has a very attractive roundabout ...... due to the concrete vs granite cobbles difference.....suggest you go take a look-see yourself....and see if you agree on this.
MeredithMan (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #14
MeredithMan

very true. Weirs rotary is drab and un-inviting and unattractive. When they were building it, I assumed the smooth drab concrete and lack of attractive landscaping was only temporary....that they would finish it to look like the Meredith rotary. Wrong! Since the rotary is one of the first things that visitors to the area see, one would have thought that the town would have made it much more attractive, especially being a tourist area.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #15
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
It just seems like the City of Laconia missed the boat a little bit when it comes to the physical appearance of the new Weirs Beach traffic roundabout. This new roundabout, built in 2012, is not particularly attractive looking when you compare it to the Meredith roundabout that's about five miles north in neighboring Meredith.

So, what is the difference? It is all about the smooth concrete outer circular apron of smooth concrete that is so visible at the Weirs. In Meredith, a few hundred grey granite cobbles were used as opposed to smooth concrete, and it makes a big difference in how the whole roundabout looks.

Weirs Beach has a very ugly roundabout, and Meredith has a very attractive roundabout ...... due to the concrete vs granite cobbles difference.....suggest you go take a look-see yourself....and see if you agree on this.
I'm glad they built the roundabout. When I have to drive by the Weirs I go around the circle several times. I get dizzy enough so when I cross the bridge I can't make out the depressing landscape of that corner.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #16
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I might gets some angry replies, but I have always thought the whole strip should be torn down. It needs to get completely rebuilt into something more akin to the Lake George Boardwalk area. You should see the tourism that Lake George gets compared to the now sparse visiting that the Weirs gets. I think it is really sad that there is such potential in that little strip of land and the surround area, and it sits there looking like a slum. Sorry. Just the way I see it. That area needs a planning committee that will step up and control what goes in there. Not people that just buy and put things in hither thither and mess the place up. Laconia is lost in the planning process of just about everything they do...
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Aldidonato (04-08-2014), Billy Bob (12-07-2013), brk-lnt (12-06-2013), BroadHopper (12-06-2013), CateP (12-06-2013), dykg (12-07-2013), Fargo (12-08-2013), jeffk (12-06-2013), LongBay (04-08-2014), Loony Singer (12-08-2013), MeredithMan (12-06-2013), Misty Blue (12-07-2013), mr1drfl (12-09-2013), Old Hubbard Rd (12-08-2013), Reilly (12-08-2013), SAMIAM (12-08-2013), secondcurve (12-06-2013), WakeboardMom (12-07-2013), Waterbaby (04-12-2014)
Old 12-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #17
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I might gets some angry replies, but I have always thought the whole strip should be torn down. It needs to get completely rebuilt into something more akin to the Lake George Boardwalk area. You should see the tourism that Lake George gets compared to the now sparse visiting that the Weirs gets. I think it is really sad that there is such potential in that little strip of land and the surround area, and it sits there looking like a slum. Sorry. Just the way I see it. That area needs a planning committee that will step up and control what goes in there. Not people that just buy and put things in hither thither and mess the place up. Laconia is lost in the planning process of just about everything they do...
Believe it or not, I totally agree with you.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
Fargo (12-08-2013), Lakesrider (12-06-2013), WakeboardMom (12-07-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
HellRaZoR004

And demolish and rebuild the docks. They are way too narrow.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
Old Hubbard Rd (12-08-2013), Orion (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
Fargo

Default Slide

I just returned from having lunch in Kennebunkport. We thought this would be their off season and a quiet day since it was raining. The place was packed with people and 90% of the businesses were open. Low key Xmas decorations, beautiful hand carved business signs, all the store fronts were painted and windows were washed. No vacant lots and no broken down chain link fences. What isn't there is a beautiful lake and mountain views you'd think the Weirs would want to capitalize on and be open for business year round. Go figure.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fargo For This Useful Post:
Aldidonato (04-08-2014), Chaselady (12-06-2013), Jeanzb1 (12-06-2013), WakeboardMom (12-07-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #20
AKADQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
A few years ago I heard through the grapevine that a group was considering purchasing the property by the roundabout where the Logs of Fun arcade, mini-golf, post-office, etc. are located, tearing it all down and building a Church Landing style Inn. If I remember correctly they wanted to build a new footbridge over the Weirs Channel to the beach and also invest in and upgrade the beach.

It could have just been a rumor and I never heard anything else about it. It certainly would have changed the Weirs.
If I recall and my memory is correct, Rusty who owns that complex was trying to get approved from the city of Laconia a hotel complex for that site but got denied. Not sure if my facts are correct but I think it's close...
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #21
Resident 2B

I believe what is sorely missing is a master plan for the Weirs Beach area. Something that make sense and is financially viable after considering all the current and potential uses of the area, including how to host Bike Week in any new arrangement. The square footage of the vacant lots is growing faster than the property value of the surrounding real estate is dropping. Piecemeal development without a master plan is doomed to failure.

I do not know why one of the local politicians does not start this ball rolling. What we have now is a big mess that seems to get worse each and every year. This is a beautiful part of the lakes region and it is not being treated with the respect it deserves.

That is my 2-cents worth.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
Fargo (12-08-2013), secondcurve (12-06-2013), Waterbaby (04-12-2014)
Old 12-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #22
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
I believe what is sorely missing is a master plan for the Weirs Beach area. Something that make sense and is financially viable after considering all the current and potential uses of the area, including how to host Bike Week in any new arrangement. The square footage of the vacant lots is growing faster than the property value of the surrounding real estate is dropping. Piecemeal development without a master plan is doomed to failure.

I do not know why one of the local politicians does not start this ball rolling. What we have now is a big mess that seems to get worse each and every year. This is a beautiful part of the lakes region and it is not being treated with the respect it deserves.

That is my 2-cents worth.

R2B
I couldn't agree more. The leaders of Laconia have totally butchered what should be a jewel of the Lakes Region. I am not sure what the problem is but the result of Laconia's inaction has been to drive commerce to places like Meredith. It likely will get worse before it gets better.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Fargo (12-08-2013), Resident 2B (12-06-2013), WakeboardMom (12-07-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #23
birchhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
I couldn't agree more. The leaders of Laconia have totally butchered what should be a jewel of the Lakes Region. I am not sure what the problem is but the result of Laconia's inaction has been to drive commerce to places like Meredith. It likely will get worse before it gets better.
I could not agree more. I wrote in another post this exact situation, that bike week drives development away because a land owner can generate income with no improvements, making the land owners pretty much lazy, where as anywhere else you need to improve the land to make a buck. I know for a fact that the powers that be, take the attitude that, it is what it is, and who are they to change it, really great planning attitude.
Speaking of Laconia planning, the new steep slope ordinance pretty much makes all of the weirs need a zoning variance, so they just keep adding regulation to stop development. That entire area is over 25% slope (so is pretty much the entire lakes region). So anyone looking to buy up and revamp the Weirs has a serious up hill battle and a lot of extra expense to make that area into the great place we all know it could, simply because of Laconia. Not only that but they are adding more regulations.
I have never understood the steep slope ordinances towns put in place, if you want a walk out basement on your house it requires a lot with greater than 25% slopes pretty much, yet with these regulations it makes an area like that unbuildable.
I could go on about this for a while...
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to birchhaven For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (12-08-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #24
JasonG

It's been a few years since I have been up there so I may be out of date. Could the problem be the lack of activities during the off season, thus no tourists to generate revenue then?

Bottom line...having a business that is only operational 4 months a year is tough to push on any investor. As someone else said, Meredith is where money is going. Why not? They make things interesting year round.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #25
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
It's been a few years since I have been up there so I may be out of date. Could the problem be the lack of activities during the off season, thus no tourists to generate revenue then?

Bottom line...having a business that is only operational 4 months a year is tough to push on any investor. As someone else said, Meredith is where money is going. Why not? They make things interesting year round.
Meredith is in the same geography with a similar asset and it has been able to flourish. What Laconia has in the Weirs is irreplaceable. That being said, any high caliber asset can be mismanaged and that is what we have seen the leaders of Laconia do with the Weirs.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #26
JasonG

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Meredith is in the same geography with a similar asset and it has been able to flourish. What Laconia has in the Weirs is irreplaceable. That being said, any high caliber asset can be mismanaged and that is what we have seen the leaders of Laconia do with the Weirs.
So the general feeling is the existing businesses (most?) could be managed correctly for a year round appeal? However, the effort has not come?
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #27
birchhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
So the general feeling is the existing businesses (most?) could be managed correctly for a year round appeal? However, the effort has not come?
Management is part of it, but more importantly the lack of investment in the properties and also a serious lack of imagination. The whole place needs to be torn down and rebuilt.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #28
Colby

Question Fewer attractions

The area can not support a water slide? What's happened to our Weirs?
There used to be three water slide areas around Laconia. The SurfCoaster, Part of the Alpine Slide Gunstock ski area and the Weirs Beach water slide. Now we are losing the last waterslide.

When I try to encourage friends to visit the area they talk poorly about the Weirs. They call it a honky tonk atmosphere. Run down, nothing to do. Great scenery though.

Those who are black, gay or Jews feel unwelcome. Real or perceived that is how they feel.

What was the Weirs Water Slide land used for in the past? Will it be abandoned and just exist except for Bike week+ ?

It's awful to watch the area get so run down.
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #29
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default What??

"Those who are black, gay or Jews feel unwelcome. Real or perceived that is how they feel."

What!?? While the Weirs may have issues, racism certainly is NOT one of them!!

Give me a break!

Dan
Aldidonato (04-08-2014), birchhaven (12-08-2013), BroadHopper (12-08-2013), diz (12-09-2013), Happy Gourmand (12-09-2013), Jeanzb1 (12-09-2013), Just Sold (12-08-2013), Resident 2B (12-08-2013), upthesaukee (12-08-2013), WakeboardMom (12-09-2013), Waterbaby (04-12-2014), winnasake (12-09-2013), Woodsy (12-09-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #30
dykg

What I don't understand is why aren't these properties being developed? There is a carrying cost of owning these properties. They tear down the structures ie Karl's steak house and now the water slide with no plans to replace with an attraction or something that will draw people to the area. Am I missing something here? Is there just a lack of investment interest? If you drive further down lakeside ave to Lookoff Rock, they are building & selling high end town homes.
Go figure.
dykg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #31
fatlazyless

Default .... Weirs Beach huge Cumberland gas station????

Compared to any of the other local super-pumper gas stations in the area including the Irving and Mobil on Rt 104 at Exit 23, New Hampton, or the Irving in Meredith next to the new Rite Aid, the Cumberland Farms gas station at the Weirs always seems like it has very few customers for a gas station of its size. Like, where are all the customers at the Weirs Beach Cumberland gas station? Becuz with maybe ten different gas pump stations, they is all usually empty of gas customers.

I travel through Laconia and stop in there for gas while enroute to the Gilford Lowe's or the Gilford Wal-Mart and typically buy a newspaper and get gas, and with all those different gas pumps, the Cumby management has got to be very disappointed with their gallons sales numbers ...... so's why the heck did they even build that very expensive-to-construct store there in the first place....if it has such poor performance????

By the way, it has a public rest room that is maintained extremely clean!

So many gas pumps ...... and so few gas customers ...... someone at Cumby management didn't do their research for that particular spot for the predicted gasoline sales demand .... or something????

p.s.

Riding a bicycle around the Weirs and especially around the residential area across the railroad tracks over behind the Winni Gardens building can be an interesting bike ride, and a good way to really see the area......some many very old homes built on tiny, close together, congested lots all crammed in together....very old construction and very tightly close to one another.... small narrow streets .... and then some real beauties of old restored homes directly on the water down through there.... riding a bicycle in through there is the way to go for a Weirs Beach sight-seeing ride....

....and .... if and when the www.wowtrail.org ever gets built through the Weirs....that could give the Weirs a tourist boost in the shoulder months of April-May ....... Sept-Oct-Nov .....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-09-2013 at 07:55 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #32
birchhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykg View Post
What I don't understand is why aren't these properties being developed? There is a carrying cost of owning these properties. They tear down the structures ie Karl's steak house and now the water slide with no plans to replace with an attraction or something that will draw people to the area. Am I missing something here? Is there just a lack of investment interest? If you drive further down lakeside ave to Lookoff Rock, they are building & selling high end town homes.
Go figure.
They make money having the land sit with no mainance till they make a quick buck from bike week. Bike week has to go.

A large portion of the Weirs is owned by the veterans, so it is kinda of a tough one. No one would ever want to take anything away from a group that has given so much. And while you could certainly begin the resurgence of the weirs by building at the water slides, and the arcades, no master plan would be complete without factoring in the Veteran Buildings.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #33
Woodsy

Birchhaven....

In the interest of full disclosure, I am year round resident of the Weirs. I love it! The Veterans homes & the Bike Rally are not going away. That being said, the issues with the Weirs are many, and there is plenty of blame to spread around.

1. Property owners like the Baldi's, who let their burnt out eyesore sit there for 2 years while they played cat & mouse with the city & their insurance companies. I get that they are entitled to due process, but ultimately it was going to have to be torn down anyway. Finally tearing it down only to leave it a mess still and bury the toxic waste in the drive in! No doubt the same fate awaits the water slide.

2. The City for treating the Weirs like a red headed step child. They are happy to take as much $$$ from Weirs/Bike week as possible, with little to no re-investment into the Weirs.

3. The City for not being business friendly. A recent example is the BBQ guy that set up a temporary shop in the old Karl's parking lot. City ordinance said he could only operate x amount of weeks....

4. The State of NH for treating Bike Week as the Police Overtime Association. Way too many police for the amount of people! It discourages people from coming. They need to see how the other big rally's are run.

5. A loosening of the liquor laws.... Let people have a beer or cocktail (in a plastic cup) and walk around. Think like Key West. The Weirs needs to be inviting, not excluding!

The demographic of the area has changed dramatically. All of the old mom & pop motels are now condos. There isn't the weekly turnover of new people like there used to be. SO the question that needs to be answered is to how best attract people to the area? Everyone needs to have some input.

The "Family only" plan isn't working. There needs to be a balance of adult and family entertainment. Maybe a little less arcade, a few more bars/restaurants geared towards adults. Embrace bike week! The motel owners need to understand that shutting everything down at 11pm isn't good for them or the other businesses. The city needs to spend some $$ on keeping the Weirs looking nice. I don't think a copy of Meredith is what the Weirs needs, but it certainly needs to be spruced up. The vacant lots.... like the Baldis & soon the waterslide need to be addressed. No Bike Week vendor permits unless your property looks nice and is kept up to code.

There is lots more I am sure!

Woodsy
BroadHopper (12-09-2013), dykg (12-09-2013), Lakegeezer (12-09-2013), LazyELes (02-17-2014), nicole (12-10-2013), PaugusBayFireFighter (12-09-2013), rander7823 (05-01-2014)
Old 12-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #34
fatlazyless

www.weirsbeach.com/Largejpgs/nhvahistory.html

As I recall from an article in the LaDaSun maybe a year ago or so, all the veterans rental property is summer seasonal because it is unheated and has no foundations under cottages.

The biggest portion of their annual income comes from renting out retail concession spots along their grassy embankment that fronts on the sidewalk during bike week. This income goes to maintaining the properties.

The veteran's property is exempt from Laconia property tax.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #35
BroadHopper

Default Rail trail

I have to agree with FLL regarding a rail trail from Laconia to Meredith. That will bring a lot of folks that are health conscious to the area. If the rail trail extends to Franklin as envision, I can see a big draw on events such as a bike, foot, run race at the Weirs. Unfortunately there are sour pusses that don't want ANYTHING in their back or front yards. Lighten up people the lake and surroundings are to be enjoyed by all!
Old 12-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #36
birchhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I have to agree with FLL regarding a rail trail from Laconia to Meredith. That will bring a lot of folks that are health conscious to the area. If the rail trail extends to Franklin as envision, I can see a big draw on events such as a bike, foot, run race at the Weirs. Unfortunately there are sour pusses that don't want ANYTHING in their back or front yards. Lighten up people the lake and surroundings are to be enjoyed by all!
Not to get totally off topic, but I have heard this idea kicked around a lot for the past 10 or so years, I am hesitant to even say it because I think it will be a very polarizing idea.
Get rid of the train and replace it with trolly cars, that can be stopped at any location. So for instance South Down shores people can flag it down with a season pass card or something get on ride to Meredith have dinner, ride back to the Weirs, go dancing, get ice cream, then ride back to south down shores. Etc... I live on the tracks and this would be awesome IMHO
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to birchhaven For This Useful Post:
dykg (12-09-2013), gillygirl (12-09-2013), Woodsy (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #37
Woodsy

Birchhaven...

Might require some infrastructure upgrades....

But...

That is a GREAT idea.... its ideas like that the Weirs needs!

I am a big fan of the WOW trail too. Even though cutting through Southdown is a mighty unpopular idea with those folks!

Through the passage of time, and due to neglect the Weirs is no longer a "Destination"! Anything that can be done to change that would be a change for the better... and it would benefit most people! IMHO

Woodsy
Old 12-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #38
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Birchhaven...

I am a big fan of the WOW trail too. Even though cutting through Southdown is a mighty unpopular idea with those folks!
Disclaimer, I'm an owner in SouthDown.

I'm opposed to the WOW trail because I don't buy in to the argument that it will attract any new people to the area. There are already many existing recreational activities in the area, and around NH in general. People aren't going to flock to the area just because you lay down a few miles of pavement.

The majority of the WOW trail would have no "destination" spots, especially the Weirs area which is pretty much the opposite of "healthy activities" right now.

The WOW trail has all the markings of a poorly thought out (but, well intentioned) pet project. 5 years after it's built, it'll sit there in disrepair and be a general eyesore. Take a look at some of the litter and graffiti along the existing portion for examples of this.

As a SouthDown resident, I see no benefit to that. I'm not concerned about people coming in to "my community" as much as I am concerned about some group dropping in a slab of blacktop that is going to be an eyesore, get in the way, and ultimately need to be dealt with by the residents.
LongBay (04-08-2014)
Old 12-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #39
Bostonian

Nothing like Internet Message Boards to chime in... So I will put in my two centers.

While I do not live at the Weirs, my family has been coming up to the lake to vacation for 3 generations. Currently, my family owns a house near Gunstock, and let me tell you it is depressing to go up there. Whether it is the Gunstock Inn sitting idle (which now appears to be changing), to the Surfcoaster rotting away to now the Weirs Beach Waterslide being torn down and lot after vacant lot popping up along the Weirs. It is an embarrassment...

Echoed in a previous post, the City of Laconia needs to step up and have the entire stretch redeveloped focusing on the natural beauty and create a destination to visit. Having a 4 star hotel, quality restaurants (not the greasy putrid gringo), entertainment that draws all walks of life and of course focus on the natural beauty of the lake is key. I want to be able to showcase the greatness of the Weirs, but instead we have nothing but a rundown empty strip that drives away people who want to spend money there.
Bostonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #40
jess1234

There is a meeting on December 23rd @ 7pm for comments not on the agenda at the Laconia City Council meeting, would we be heard as seasonal owners.
jess1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #41
WeirsBeachBoater

I would think a taxpayer whether full time or not, should be allowed to speak?
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WeirsBeachBoater For This Useful Post:
nicole (12-10-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #42
Lakesrider

Probably having it just before Christmas because they think everyone will be too busy to show up. How about a contingent of Winnipesaukee.com members showing up with a Laconia resident as spokesperson? As I have always said Nothing happens if nothing is done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
WeirsBeachBoater (12-09-2013)
Old 04-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #43
PaugusBayFireFighter

They have been taking down the water slide for a couple days now. They should leave some scraps and debris so it matches the rest of the corner.
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Lakesrider (04-08-2014), MeredithMan (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #44
Shore Driver

The Weirs is depressing. I just won't drive over there anymore.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #45
minni on winni

There are alot of eyesores at the Weirs. Whatever they put in the place of the waterslide should be geared to get families to the beach. The iconic Weirs sign, the train , the Mount, Sophie, Doris, the Drive In are the "draws". We need something to keep kids entertained , not too costly for parents and something that wil be remembered fondly and will make you want to keep coming back. I think an out door amusement park with fun rides would be great.no need for a waterpark we have the beach. No need for more alcohol that is just a set up for litter in our streets and quite possibly bad behavior and accidents.

Last edited by minni on winni; 04-08-2014 at 08:08 AM. Reason: forgot the drive in
minni on winni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to minni on winni For This Useful Post:
dykg (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #46
jrc

As other people have said, Bike week may drive this. According to the web, that property is valued around $600K and the tax rate is around $20, so say $12K a year. I bet a beer tent, some stalls and parking will raise enough to pay that and a handy profit in just 10 days.

Why risk investing money and running a real business, when you can make a profit in 10 days, with no risk.

Bike week has it's upside but it does become a crutch for the property owners around ground zero.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
birchhaven (04-08-2014), Jeanzb1 (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #47
birchhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
As other people have said, Bike week may drive this. According to the web, that property is valued around $600K and the tax rate is around $20, so say $12K a year. I bet a beer tent, some stalls and parking will raise enough to pay that and a handy profit in just 10 days.

Why risk investing money and running a real business, when you can make a profit in 10 days, with no risk.

Bike week has it's upside but it does become a crutch for the property owners around ground zero.
I could not agree more.

The city of laconia needs to stop promoting from with in and can everyone and start over, it really is pathetic.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #48
jrc

The city can change the incentives and try to drive business behavior in a direction better for the area. They could make all the bike week permits contingent on year round business plans.

Say to a property owner, you can't have a that 10 day beer tent unless you make some improvement to the property. Obviously this becomes a political issue about how much is too much and unintended consequences but that's what governing is about.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (04-10-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #49
pcmc

Forgive me if anyone interprets this as an insult! Lake George, N.Y. seems to be furnishing nicely. Would it be possible to consult their planning or development committees and get some advice. Yes, I know they are the direct competition but the area is successful and inviting. Why not even try to incorporate some sort of a vacation package between the two areas? Only a thought. I'm not saying copy them and create a second Lake George, but the events page on their website is pretty busy. Any help could be good for the area.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #50
jmen24

I believe we are only a few years out from the Weirs finding the bottom of the hole, but it won't be a pretty ride to the bottom.

The reason I say that is, Bike Week continues to move further away from Laconia every year; Hill climbs, chapter rides, large crowd gathering events. They are all happening North and West of the Lakes Region. Those are some of the events listed on the Official Bike Week events page.

One thing that most people don't understand is exactly how profitable that empty lot is for Bike Week. I am certain the current owners will not chime in on this, but here is an example.

When the original owners of the Lobster Pound sold to the current owners, they sold the assets, the name and the land, but they did not sell the rights to that parking lot during Bike Week. The reason, that 10 day period generated an income for the owners approaching 7 figures, in that large lot with a very small building (in case anyone ever wondered why Lou and Harvey never fixed up the old LP). The current owners of the LP realized quite quickly that they misunderstood the "real" value of that property and bought out the rights to Bike Week for the following year. It took them a few years to figure out that they needed to supply their vendors with constant water and other necessary items, but they have the routine down now. The only difference is the building eats up more income than it likely replaces, but they were smart to build the LP into what it is today. They will be in the position to capitalize when a turn around of that area comes.

Why this story matters.

Bike Week continues to move away from the run down Weirs, so does that vendor income for the lot renters. Income continues to drop, so the price of rental space goes up to compensate. The State loves this as it spreads the tourist spending into other areas of our beautiful state and it does not put all the focus on the "Bike Week" atmosphere.

If looking at the Weirs as a business, it is only a matter of years before it will fold. The owners (read: Laconia and the lot owners) are in money grab mode, this is going to result in a developers dream, as they buy up one foreclosed property after another.

The players are just waiting for the other shoe to drop, that is how Meredith became what it is today.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #51
Lakesrider

Yeah the city could do a lot. Will they? No. Civic pride in Laconia is dead. They have have a huge asset there slowly sinking into oblivion. The days of the Weirs are numbered. I heard so many complaints from bikers last year it wasn't funny. Every year it is the same complaint. Except for the tents selling stuff there is nothing to do around here. Getting anything acomplised in this area is tough. Look at how the owners of the burnt out place toyed with the city. What did they do for all that time. Nothing. Tied up in legal while an embarrassing structure on a renowned piece of land slowly rotted on its foundation. Still just a big hole years later. So now we will all get to look at a big leveled stretch of land that sits and looks like that TV show on the discovery channel...."Life after humans". Just bring in the Gypsies and traveling freak shows and it will all be complete. Gypsies.....yeah bring in some Gypsies.....
Old 04-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #52
minni on winni

Please don't bring in the traveling freak show and gypsies. An amusement park with rides for young children and teens would be a definite asset to the area.keeping a nostalgic feel to go along with the Weirs sign and Drive in .
Old 04-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #53
surfnsnow

just a gut feeling, eventually gambling will become legal in n.h. and this de-valuing of weirs property would play right into the hands of cash rich casino builders. I neither agree with or disagree with this but something must be done . I used to love the honky tonk feel of this place in the 70's . now we go to old orchard beach for our fix
surfnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #54
minni on winni

OMG!!! Can you imagine the traffic woes at the rotary , along Weirs blvd and Endicott street if a casino was in the Weirs?!!!!!!!!! I'm from taxachusetts and I drive to foxwoods now and again secluded place in the Connecticut woods. Hopefully never in the tiny Weirs!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #55
minni on winni

Going to keep hoping for nostalgia
The Following User Says Thank You to minni on winni For This Useful Post:
modio (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #56
Woodsy

Ummmm.....

As resident of the Weirs I have to disagree with some of what is being said.

There is ALOT of pride in Weirs, and most people do wish it was better. But until the PROPERTY OWNERS in the Weirs change and embrace a new economic model... nothing else will change.

The whole economic dynamic of the Weirs has changed.

1. There are fewer places to rent from, this leads to less of a turnover of people at the "attractions"

2. The motels have mostly been turned into condos. Those people are up every weekend, but spend way less on the "attractions" per year.

3. There are fewer "attractions"... You have the Drive-In (night only) and the arcades. The 2 biggest kid attractions (waterslides) are now gone. Not saying there isn't stuff to do.... just that's its less and less.

4. Like it or not, the days of the Weirs being a super kid friendly destination are done. Kids today would rather stay inside and play video games linked up with their friends instead of going to drop quarters in an arcade.

5. Some of the property owners in the Weirs take pride in their buildings. Others unfortunately do not.

6. Bike Week has been treated like a neglected cash cow by the city and state for years. The milk is starting to dry up....

7. The amount of Police officers in the Weirs during Bike Week is DRACONIAN! It has become the Police Overtime Fund. It kills the mood... DEAD!

I could go on and on..

The Weirs needs a comprehensive balanced economic plan. My vote would be for an atmosphere similar to Key West....

Woodsy
garysanfran (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #57
Lakesrider

Like the Keys? Then we would have to legalize pot to get that laid back...... I still like the Lake George boardwalk way better. they have a bandstand and music every night until 10, bars that open to the lake, rental boats, party boats, shops galore....way more hotels and beautiful driving roads. Roads not like around here. Hmmmm......actually maybe we could start a new winter attraction. "Come ride the Rt 109 monster roller coaster. If your man enough......" We could call Frostyheave....
Old 04-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #58
Woodsy

Lake George is Awesome... (don't tell the members of the Lake George Donzi Club I said that) We have a long standing rivalry.

The difference between Lake George & Lake Winni is striking. Lake George is a NY State Park... complete with access fees and a development plan with serious restrictions and rules. Google Lake George Park Commission. The islands and much of the waterfront on Lake George are not privately owned. I liken Lake George to Meredith... Of course some may say, as pretty as Meredith is, NH Hospitality pretty much bought up all of the available property and its just one big Common Man hotel.

I would like to see the Weirs keep its honky tonk image...

Woodsy
Old 04-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #59
jmen24

Just to clarify as I did not distinguish in my post, but "lot owners" is in reference to the paved parking lot owners. I was not including residential property owners in my post.

As a resident of that area, I would be saddened by what is happening around me and angered that it was being allowed.

Nostalgia is great, but it becomes more irrelevant every day. Soon Classic Rock will only be heard on the oldies station.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #60
Greene's Basin Girl

This topic is interesting because as I drove through the Weirs the other day I was thinking about how it hasn't changed since the 1960's. The only difference- everything looks older and older. Very sad. I had so much fun there in my teen years. I still have pictures of my friends and I from the photo booth. There were so many great bands at Irwin Gardens down on the pier. We had fun in the arcades also.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #61
minni on winni

Teens might not want to drop a quarter in an arcade game but I think they would love to ride a coaster, a Ferris wheel, a tilt a whirl, etc... weirs is the perfect place for nostalgia. Just look at the sign!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minni on winni For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (04-10-2014), modio (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #62
Woodsy

Minni...

I think that would be great too! Unfortunately I do not think there is a large enough piece of property in the Weirs for that, nor do I think it would generate enough income. A lot of smaller amusement park type places are struggling or have closed.... Six Gun City etc. I cannot imagine what liability insurance would be on an amusement park.

Woodsy
blacksheep (04-10-2014), minni on winni (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #63
jmen24

The problem with targeting to teens, is they do not want to go somewhere like that with their parents, they want to wander with their friends and hangout. Would you drop your teenage kids off at the Weirs to ride a coaster, or take a turn on the wheel? And if you did, what would you do while they were there.

I cannot even count the number of different businesses that I have seen in my lifetime that catered solely to teens that lasted more than a year or two. Teens get bored very quickly and each generation is in to its own thing. Putting yourself in their shoes doesn't work, because they don't fit.

A quick look around the country will give you an idea that in the amusement park world, it is go big or go home. The locations that have a single amusement type ride, bring far more to the table.

I should reclassify my prior statement about nostalgia, it isn't completely irrelevant. When it is preserved and presented in a way that shows it has been cared for or cared about, I am all for it. If it is allowed to rot in the backyard, not so much and it needs to be cleaned, because it is an eyesore.

Every time I travel through the Weirs, it reminds me of the movie Groundhog Day.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #64
birchhaven

The elephant in the room with all our dreaming is the sign out front says for lease not for sale. So they have no intention of selling and no developer is going to do a ground lease to build a hotel, etc. And unfortunately it is pretty clear the owner actually want to spend as little as possible on the property so there is zero chance anything is going to happen there. Literally the only way to get the owner off center is for the city to deny their bike week permit.
The Following User Says Thank You to birchhaven For This Useful Post:
minni on winni (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #65
GTO

Default the changing world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
This topic is interesting because as I drove through the Weirs the other day I was thinking about how it hasn't changed since the 1960's. The only difference- everything looks older and older. Very sad. I had so much fun there in my teen years. I still have pictures of my friends and I from the photo booth. There were so many great bands at Irwin Gardens down on the pier. We had fun in the arcades also.
It will be just a matter of time before the arcades close down now that everybody has a gaming system in their house...or even their phone. Growing up, we didn't have any of that so going to the Weirs or Funspot used to be the thing to do. Why go through a roll of quarters when you can download a free app. Now the photo booths you mention can be done directly from your phone and sent to all your friends within seconds. There are less and less people down at the Weirs over the years and its sad but something has to give. I can see in the very near future the arcades closing and empty buildings (until they mysteriously catch on fire). The docks are in terrible shape so its not fun to travel there by boat and tie up. So much has to be put into that whole area.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #66
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Minni...

I think that would be great too! Unfortunately I do not think there is a large enough piece of property in the Weirs for that, nor do I think it would generate enough income. A lot of smaller amusement park type places are struggling or have closed.... Six Gun City etc. I cannot imagine what liability insurance would be on an amusement park.

Woodsy
RE: Six Gun City

I just checked and the area is still in business with a new name. They are now known as Fort Jefferson Fun Park (http://www.fortjeffersonfunpark.com/) and claiming this is their 58th season so all is not lost. That being said, I've never been there in my 55 years of life.
minni on winni (04-09-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 05:15 PM   #67
minni on winni

Jmen24
I would definitely let the teens "do their thing" and I would take the younger kids on rides suited to their age group .then I would go over to the boardwalk with a soft serve ice cream and enjoy the show on the lake.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #68
minni on winni

What would make the city deny a bike week permit?
Old 04-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #69
birchhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by minni on winni View Post
It is laconia they make up the rules as they go! Ha
But seriously I am not one who thinks the Gov is the solution to problems but this might be one of those situations. They could have easily start denying bike week permits to these permanent parking lots, and in this case could have easily let the owner know that tearing down a structure for bike week tents is not in the best interest of the city and no permits will be issued. I am sure there would have been a legal battle but O well the government loves to spend money on attorneys and this would have been money well spent.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #70
secondcurve

Quote:
The Weirs is the armpit of Winnipesaukee. It will get worse before it gets better. No vision. No planning. No nothing. The idiots can't even put up a decent public marina despite having significant lake frontage.
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (04-12-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #71
jmen24

Minni, that is fair enough and you would likely not be alone. We enjoy a good roller coaster as well, just not the same one every time and I was a teenager less than 15 years ago.

If it is any consolation, the Weirs sign would most likely be preserved and could be viewed every time you entered the lobby of the Boardwalk Casino.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #72
minni on winni

We need more thanks buttons.i used all mine up already today.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #73
garysanfran

Default Old people go to bed early...

For The Weirs...

Bring back Teen Haven and the big name concerts at Winnipesaukee Gardens. Late night teen hangouts can be successful.

Jack Irwin said...

“There was a place called Teen Haven just up the street where young people got together to dance. We started to change what we offered for music, putting on concerts from time to time instead of having big band dance music,” Jack recalls.
Among the big names which came to the Gardens at that time were the Beach Boys and Gary Puckett and the Union Gap. “We’d get 2200 people in for a show and have two shows a night. But it was a different generation, different music. It was more of a show than dancing.”

Yup...Fond memories

I "attended" many concerts sitting in my boat with the "girl-of-my-dreams" floating outside of The Gardens listening to The Vanilla Fudge or The Turtles, etc.

And the BIG BAND era...More from Jack

Irwin’s Winnipesaukee Gardens opened on Memorial Day weekend in 1925 and was an instant hit with the music-loving public of the 1920s. Top bands touring the country now had a new, lively place to play in, one with an ideal lakeside setting that was perfect for a summer night. And WKAV was soon conducting live broadcasts from the Gardens, bringing the Big Band sound to listeners all over New Hampshire.

And Irwin was quick to capitalize on the bathing beauty phenomena which had been started by Atlantic City’s Miss America Pageant in 1919, creating the Miss Winnipesaukee Pageant the very same year that the Gardens opened. The pageant is still going strong and has produced more Miss New Hampshire winners than any other pageant in the state.

Jack Irwin says that until the crash of 1929, everything went great for screen above the stage.the Gardens, which also offered movies which could be viewed on a big
Jack says that he can still remember watching movies from the balcony, as well as some of the best band acts ever.

“I was just a little kid when I saw Fats Waller around 1938 or 1939. If my parents couldn’t get a babysitter they’d bring me to the Gardens and let me sit in the balcony and watch things until I fell asleep,” he says.

At one time or another just about all of the big bands played at the Gardens, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Harry James and Paul Whiteman. “About the only big names we didn’t get were Louie Armstrong and Guy Lombardo. It was the liveliest spot in the state, along with the Hampton Casino, for many years,” says Jack.

“Tuesdays and Thursdays were Big Band nights. That’s when we’d get those Big Bands which were touring the country. We’d have bands playing every night except Sunday. The house band played the other nights and they lived right up here at the Weirs all summer. The Tony Brown orchestra was one of the house bands and a lot of people liked to come by during the week to dance because prices doubled on the weekend, when we always had a full house.”
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #74
dykg

I have to think that things should improve in the Weirs. They are building million dollar condos where look off rock and there is the development of a Akawa yacht club. I have to think improvements will continue to make its way down the blvd.
Why would people make that kind of investment if the area continued to be depressed. I am optimistic.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #75
garysanfran

Default The Weirs should be...

In my opinion. Not improved by making it a condo development for seniors and boring residential property. It should become, and stay, a fun destination place to go.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #76
pcmc

Gary I don't believe dykg meant investing in the area as in more housing development. He mentioned just up the street there are substantial developments that have been already built. Therefore to maintain the values and investments of these high end condos, the facelift to the Weir 's area will hopefully progress down the street, bringing the attraction back.
The Following User Says Thank You to pcmc For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #77
dykg

Thanks for clarifing PCMC.
The Following User Says Thank You to dykg For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (04-08-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #78
minni on winni

With all the investing that Akawa is doing along Lakeside/Scenic road. They must have some idea of the future of the Weirs. Wouldn't you think?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:09 AM   #79
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
“Tuesdays and Thursdays were Big Band nights. That’s when we’d get those Big Bands which were touring the country. We’d have bands playing every night except Sunday. ”[/I]
I too remember seeing some great bands in the 60's and 70's there - Beach Boys, 3 Dog Night, Gary Puckett, etc, etc

I also remember that the reason they never played on Sunday was because there was an old "blue" law that you were not allowed to dance on Sundays - so funny.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #80
pcmc

Quote:
With all the investing that Akawa is doing along Lakeside/Scenic road. They must have some idea of the future of the Weirs. Wouldn't you think?
One would hope so. Living in CT. it seems if there is an open piece of land, a building has to be put on it. It's hardly ever about preserving the area, it's always about profiting off of every square inch, no matter how much damage will be done down the road when the areas age and time passes.(get run down) Greed can do a lot of damage, and usually is a ulterior motive., but I suppose this is what keeps the world going around. Sad.

Another thing, as a bright side. The Weirs being so space deprived, buildings and in this case the water slide, get torn down and replaced. Another pet peeve of mine is when there is huge vacant commercial building available , but a brand new 'similar' building gets erected just up the street, while the old one sits. (I realize it can be cheaper to build new vs renovate, and people want customized space, but the community should rank a little higher up.)

Sorry to rant.
The Following User Says Thank You to pcmc For This Useful Post:
minni on winni (04-10-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #81
GTO

Default How about

Quote:
Teens might not want to drop a quarter in an arcade game but I think they would love to ride a coaster, a Ferris wheel, a tilt a whirl, etc... weirs is the perfect place for nostalgia. Just look at the sign!
Ok, so it has to be fun.....why make it fun for just kids, how about all ages. How about a SkyZone? (Check out their website). This company is growing in popularity. Fun for all ages and could survive year round with private parties,corporate events, dodge ball leagues., etc.
minni on winni (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #82
minni on winni

I hope that "the powers that be" will read these posts and see what the residents of the region want, Fun and nostalgia.... and what we don't want More Vacant lots!!!!!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #83
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmc View Post

The Weirs being so space deprived, buildings and in this case the water slide, get torn down and replaced. Another pet peeve of mine is when there is huge vacant commercial building available , but a brand new 'similar' building gets erected just up the street, while the old one sits. (I realize it can be cheaper to build new vs renovate, and people want customized space, but the community should rank a little higher up.)

Sorry to rant.
So what went into the Wide Open Saloon space? It wasn't torn down, it burned, but really the same difference. Easier in some respects.

That's right, nothing (unless something just did) - because noone wants to invest there.....who would want to be the first ? Why do you suppose that is?
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:11 AM   #84
meredith weekender

Quote:
I hope that "the powers that be" will read these posts and see what the residents of the region want, Fun and nostalgia.... and what we don't want More Vacant lots!!!!!

Unfortunately, the "powers to be" cannot develop / build anything. What is needed is a developer with a vision and deep pockets. The Weirs is too seasonal to really sustain any type of year round development.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #85
RailroadJoe

How about a nice new Marriot Hotel with indoor pool and fabulous restaurant? No condos, just apartments to rent by the day or week. And while they are at it tear down the drive in theater and make it the parking for the hotel.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
meredith weekender (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #86
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

I don't recall the source but a few years ago someone told me that putting a upscale Church Landing style hotel at the Weirs on the site where Logs-O-Fun, the post office (and not much more) now is was being considered. Part of the plan was to build a nice footbridge over the channel to the beach and invest in beach improvements.

Apparently the plan was shelved but I thought that would be a great first step in transforming Weirs Beach.

Did anyone else hear about this?
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #87
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Need a plan!

I don't think investors will spend much money before a comprehensive master plan is established.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #88
jrc

There's lots of ways this can happen but the likely ways are very slow.

The city can get involved, using taxes or permits to indirectly drive development.

The city can sit back and let private entities buy up the land for cheap as it gets more and more run down. Bike week does set a bottom limit on the value.

The city can take certain parcels by eminent domain and develop them or sell to a developer.

I'm not sure how a master plan comes in to play, who pays for this plan and who enforces it?

It only takes a few successful businesses to flip the trend. Think about a string of old time lakefront camps. One guy sells out and someone builds a mansion. Now all the nearby places, become much more valuable and their taxes shoot up. Suddenly the old timers places can't afford the taxes and must sell.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #89
BroadHopper

Default City of Laconia

Right now they are concentrating on revitalizing downtown, the character was destroyed by Urban Renewal. (City flatly denied to this day UR was not the problem). Weirs is the least of their problem as there is enough money generated by Bike Week.

I agree a master plan must be established. The beach erosion must be taken care of. etc. etc.

Until the city wakes up, I think Weirs will become a ghost town.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #90
pcmc

Ok so if Bike Week is the bread and butter for them, they need to get on the ball before it migrates away. The two other events that I know of just off the top of my head are 1. Lake G. NY has a big event, 2. Hershey PA has an event. Both right in the backyard.

One thought I keep having for an idea at the Wiers is a long pier that would extend way out into the water. Similar to Clearwater, FL., I believe, but am not positive that is the right beach area. The attractions are out at the end, and the walk out offers great views . Although that pier is located on the ocean it would be nice on the lake, maybe a little smaller version. The winter ice may cancel that right out but it's only a thought.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #91
BroadHopper

Default Long Pier

Make an extension to the Winni Ballroom pier would be an awesome idea. Except Shoreline Protection act and the DES will put a huge NO NO on the project.

The current public docks are useless as far as I'm concerned. They should rearrange the docks wider so they can be more useful.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #92
Sal

Smile do you mean like this ??

Could be interpreted as another bridge to Governor's Island . . .
Attached Images

Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #93
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Could be interpreted as another bridge to Governor's Island . . .
Yes, that is not the exact one in Clearwater, FL., but the exact same idea. I would vision that with provision for boat docking on either side. It could open a lot of options or just offer a nice walk with a different view perspective.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #94
Sal

Default yes it is . . . .

This pier is located on Clearwater Beach, about 1/4 mile from the HUGE Marriott. I took the picture this February.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #95
Irishfan

Sad to learn the waterslide is being torn down. I remember it much different growing up spending summers at the Weirs. My uncle has a small seasonal cottage within walking distance of the Weirs. There were, I think, four waterslides total if my memory serves me correct. No cheesy volcanoes or any other props that take away from the attraction. Even my dad and uncles went down the slides. Great memories. That volcano looked like it was about to fall over any second.

I remember getting up early and going to the country store at the top of Lakeside Ave. for the fresh donuts they made at the store. Anybody else remember those? They were the best. Learning how to waterski with the old orange life jacket. Going to the arcades to play skeeball and save up your tickets all summer to get decent prizes. Last time I visited, most of the games in the arcades were out of order and there were a few skeeball games but it just wasn't the same. How bout those bingo and poker machines with the pink rubber balls? Great times.

I'm usually a lurker but just had to throw in my two cents. Sorry to rant.
Irishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irishfan For This Useful Post:
minni on winni (04-12-2014), Resident 2B (04-12-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #96
minni on winni

Doesn't sound like a rant to me. Rather like a trip down memory lane and a pleasant one at that!
Old 04-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #97
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
This pier is located on Clearwater Beach, about 1/4 mile from the HUGE Marriott. I took the picture this February.
Oh, sorry. That isn't the pier I had been to years ago, but just as welcoming.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #98
RLW

Smile

Hasn't anyone taken a resent picture as to how it looks at the present time? I would love to see how the property looks vacant.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:42 AM   #99
birchhaven

Rlm sorry no pic but progress is very slow for a demo project.
The Land is valued at 165k so the owners only need to rent a couple tents a year and they will be in the positive so I don't see anything happening there for a long long time.
I had an interesting conversation about my position on bike week and I realized I might be stating why bike week needs to end for the place to be rejuvenated incorrectly. The actual bike week is not the actual problem it is how it breeds lazy land owners.
I will say it again the city could have easily made a condition of approving the demo permit that unless the site is redeveloped it will not receive a bike week permit. They have placed restrictions on other properties in the area exactly like that. I know for a fact.
Also I am always amazed on how this website works. You have 95 percent of the comments saying weirs needs something done, then along comes someone who wants it to stay the same or be turned back to trees.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:10 AM   #100
Billy Bob

Default Clearwater vs winni

We are residents os st Pete beach/Clearwater and have a home on the lake for the summer . Attempting to compare the 2 isen't possible . Clearwater has a 12month season with snowbirds packing the area now and southern state folks enjoying the beaches in the summer. Also a lot more to do with the ocean and the Disney / Bush stuff so close. The lake has a very short season to make a buck and the return on investment isen't possible for large scale redevelopment. The weirs might have nostalgia but at this point it is what it is a dump that no one without a lake history will find cool.
Laconia is a financially poor city with big problems , few decent jobs and big drug and small time crime problems. Using development money to get more low paying seasonal jobs at the crummy beach probably is not at the top of the list

We avoid that area with the grand kids , it's history
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
MiFi (05-20-2014)