Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2017, 01:47 PM   #1
Sunbeam lodge

Default Docking for Bear Island Home

I am interested in purchasing a Home on an island and would be interested in home owners experience in commuting and island living. Also how do you handle the mainland docking problems?
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #2
bilproject

We have been on bear for 10 years. First couple of years we valeted at y-landing. When the down turn came a slip opened. Both Sheps and Y valet and with it comes dumpster privilages and parking.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:14 PM   #3
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I live fairly close and I'm a cheap guy so my big boat goes in for the season and is moored out in front or my place for prime season, I picked up a 14' aluminum commuter that I tow and pop in the water. That commuter cost less than the cost of a slip/rack rental for one year. Nice thing with the little boat, easy to deal can use it without worry in the off season, probably one of the handiest things I have. Resident sticker in town costs 20.00 for a couple of years which includes "free" use of the town boat ramps.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #4
jazzman

I guess it can be done, but living on an island without dedicated mainland docking/parking isn't something I'd take on without a lot of careful thought.

One issue to really consider is mainland access has something to do with the eventual value of your property when you go to sell it someday. Imagine trying to sell your place in a time when mainland access just isn't available.

Many island owners own a mainland slip via one of the many marinas that now offer "condo" slips. This way they can protect their island investment by offering that slip with their house should they want to sell.

Rattlesnake is an interesting choice for island living on a budget because the island association owns mainland access (though no docking for more than a few minutes at a time). I did consider trying to do islands on the cheap by having a small easily launched/retrieved trailer boat kept in the Rattlesnake mainland lot. In the end I just didn't want to cope with the hassle if I happened to arrive late at night or every time I needed something on the mainland.

I did notice you said "commute" in your initial note. Not sure if you mean "commute" to work everyday from an island. I know there are people who do it up in the Gilford islands because I see their boats at Glendale everyday. You'd sure want a protected route from your island home to a dedicated dock if you ever wanted to do this (or an understanding boss who understood that you maybe don't show up on a windy day).
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
fatlazyless

The sandy and wooded shoreline at the Cattle Landing town dock collects older, well used, 12' rowboats with old 5-hp outboards that get pulled up onto the sand, tied to a tree, and left there for days. The p-lot, across the road, has room for maybe 50-cars with no trailers allowed. The town recently put up a new sign with the parking rules, for the summer, in the back of the parking lot.

After a big rain, the little row boats will fill with rain water what with their drain hole closed and parked below the lake's water line with the bow pulled up onto the shore .... oh well .... that always seems a little unusual... seeing a boat full of water setting on the shoreline, half ashore, and half in the lake.....like a drowned boat or something ..... as long as the motor is high and dry?

Sometimes, the red plastic gasoline tank will be floating about inside the flooded row boat while it waits for the owner to return and drain all the water and get the motor started for the ride back. There's people who do this 3/4-year 'round, except for ice-in, including December and April. If your little outboard motor conks out on a 12' row boat, you can always move to the middle seat and start rowing, something which cannot be done with a 16-22' motorboat.

Someone else uses an old, banged up, aluminum canoe, that's tied to a tree ....... probably does not have far to paddle to their island .....but, who knows?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-19-2017 at 11:50 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
germangirlvt

Default Docking for Bear Island Home

We bought a home on Pine Island a couple of years ago and have a small slip for a commuter boat at Y Landing. The big boat is in storage during winter and lives at our dock during the summer. I love that the slip comes with parking and dumpster privileges.... not sure I would want to put my boat into the water every weekend, especially since we often arrive late Friday night.
I love island living, even though we can swim to shore, it definitely feels different then being on the main land.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
germangirlvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #7
Barney Bear

Default Island Living

This topic has been discussed extensively on this forum, including the pros and cons of this way of life.

We began our life on Lake Winnipesaukee on a small boat which we kept at a slip at Fay's Boat Yard in 1963. In 1967, we bought our place on East Bear Island (before we bought our first house). Fifty years later, we still have a slip at FBY in Gilford.

While still working, we would arrive at the boat yard at about 10:00PM, and head out to the island. We would leave at 9:00PM for our return home. If weather conditions were bad, we would leave very early Monday morning so we could be at school and work on time.

Three generations of family have been able to enjoy our beautiful lake.

Though Bear Island is in Meredith, FBY in Gilford is closer to our home than driving through Meredith, and on to Shep's or Y Landing. However, the trip across the lake is longer and across some wide open areas. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:57 PM   #8
Call of the Isle

We've owned a camp on Rattlesnake since 1970. Were retired now, but did commute some of the time. Must be mindful of weather at all times. First had dock in Roberts Cove; now at Smith Point Marina, with convenient parking.
Island living is an adventure! Wouldn't trade it for the world!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Call of the Isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #9
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge View Post
I am interested in purchasing a Home on an island and would be interested in home owners experience in commuting and island living. Also how do you handle the mainland docking problems?
Do you still have your home on the mainland in Meredith? Why the islands if so?
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Retired

For those who asked about "Commuting",
Sunbeam's profile says "retired" so probably not daily, rigid hour type job or commute.
Nonetheless, access to a slip or valet where the boat can be left for several hours while doing mainland stuff, with solid car-parking certainty are key.
Many Gilford Islanders rely on Glendale as their free, easy access marina. More crowded than ever with Glendale Maine gone and the 12 hour dock temporarily closed has left some level of shortage and less certainty for rigid hour commuters.

"It's so busy, nobody goes there anymore", Yogi.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #11
FarmhouseOne

Default Any slips or valet service available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge View Post
I'm in the same position as the OP: interested in an island cottage, but having trouble figuring out the access. I've talked to a couple of boat yards in the Gilford area and am hearing from them that there are no slips available anywhere on the lake and valet spots are full. Is that true? If not, any leads on available slips or valet options would be most welcome. Next year is the primary need, but late season this year may be needed as well.
FarmhouseOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #12
Descant

Default Welcome

Farmhouse One, welcome to the Forum.

Which island? There are many answers and solutions, but a lot depends on where you are, or want to buy. For large islands, it may even depend on which side of the island you're considering.

Most island residents who are selling have already determined a solution that they can pass on to a buyer, and most island Realtors will have ideas for the various locations you're considering.

Good luck. Let us know your progress.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #13
FarmhouseOne

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
...There are many answers and solutions, but a lot depends on where you are, or want to buy.

Most island residents who are selling have already determined a solution that they can pass on to a buyer, and most island Realtors will have ideas for the various locations you're considering.
Thanks for your response. Mostly interested in Lockes and Welch; maybe Bear, but that's a longer drive for us coming from the south.

One owner we've talked to leaves their boat on their island dock and uses the town docks as needed. That's fine if you're there all season, but we'd be mostly weekend residents, so will need some kind of mainland option.

Seems like the options are:
A) find a rental slip or valet spot to use when we're not on the island
B) leave main boat on the island dock when we're not on the island and get a little "commuter" boat on a trailer to get out to the island

For option A, would appreciate any leads on possible spots for late season and next year. So far, I've found nothing.

For option B, are there places we could park the boat on the trailer when we're not using it? We live out of state and I don't love the idea of driving back and forth with the boat every weekend.

Also welcome your suggestions on other options! We love the area and idea of an island house, but need help figuring out the logistics as you can tell
Old 07-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #14
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Check with Fay's for availability for either a slip or Valet. Also occasionally slips become available for sale at Glendale and Gilford yacht clubs. Can't hurt to ask.

Good Luck!

Dan
Old 07-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #15
AC2717

a lot of marina's on the lake offer trailer/boat storage and use of their ramps for a monthly fee. you would handle the in and out obviously but that is a lot cheaper option than valet or a wet slip
Old 07-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #16
uschisk

When we first bought on Mark Island, we valeted the boat as no slips were available. It was stressful, I was always worried that we would forget to tell them that we needed the boat and get up to the lake late Friday night to not have a boat. Whenever we needed to dock for more than a few hours it was an issue. We got a slip for the following year and have had one since, which works much better for us. If we change our mind about boating out a certain day due to weather or something else that came up, no big deal, and it is always there are ready for us!
We use Shep Brown's, not sure if they are full or not, I know they usually have some valet spots and we have been very very happy with them.
uschisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #17
Descant

We're on Welch Island, but I think this applies to Lockes and the Forties.
In addition to Gilford YC, Glendale YC and Fay's, there are several islanders at MVYC and Silver Sands. Some use Dave's on Rte 11A behind Sawyer's for winter storage, and rely on Glendale Town docks. We found that mostly too crowded and have not been there regularly for years. I have a slip at MVYC; my daughter has valet at MVYC. If she goes off for the day, she leaves the boat at the valet docks and it usually stays there all day. They used to keep the boat on a trailer and launch/retrieve Friday and Sunday. A real nuisance with little kids to watch, or in the rain, so they love valet.
For us, showing up on Friday with baggage, a weekend of groceries, and new parts for whatever improvements are in store, maybe some guests, is not the time to shuttle with the "little" boat you mention.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #18
FarmhouseOne

Default Many thanks!

Good tips--thanks! I'll keep looking.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:35 AM   #19
FarmhouseOne

Default Agreed, but no luck finding a spot yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
For us, showing up on Friday with baggage, a weekend of groceries, and new parts for whatever improvements are in store, maybe some guests, is not the time to shuttle with the "little" boat you mention.
Thanks for your note. I agree: the little boat is definitely not my first choice, but Fays and MVYC are both full (no slips or valet). I'm just planning at this point to work my way through the list of options, but keep hearing "everything's full" from other people.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #20
FarmhouseOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by uschisk View Post
We use Shep Brown's, not sure if they are full or not, I know they usually have some valet spots and we have been very very happy with them.
Thanks, Shep's is next on my list to call. Fingers crossed!
Old 07-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #21
fatlazyless

How's about getting back to your island Shangri-La by paddling a 15'x56"x8", 50-lb weight, inflatable, 1050-lb capacity, 5-7 people Megalodon paddleboard.....4-paddles included ...... price-$999, shop it around? ...... just unload it off the car roof, down at the Cattle Landing, Town of Meredith public dock, park the car, and start paddling ...... no trailer, no slip, no motor, good-to-go any weather, healthy exercise ..... paddle the water .... and drag it across the ice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJRvFxVJZXI

What's missing ...... pfd's w/ a whistle ...... no one, except for one young boy, is wearing a life vest.

www.myfwc.com/boating/regulations/paddleboard/

"In 35-degree water, one can survive for 1 3/4-hours or 105-minutes, while floating with a pfd." A pfd helps to conserve heat, too. So, just blow the whistle and don't get in a panic.....help is usually just a whistle away.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-25-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #22
Descant

I return to a previous thought: If you're buying or leasing, the owner or landlord should have mainland access that you can "take over". Have you talked to the realtors representing island properties for sale or lease? I feel like worrying about access before you have a property under negotiation may be premature. You haven't revealed here any contact with realtors or FSBO's.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #23
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmhouseOne View Post
Thanks, Shep's is next on my list to call. Fingers crossed!
They are full. Usually availability opens up at the end of the year as not everyone renews. You may have to ride it out for now.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #24
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
I guess it can be done, but living on an island without dedicated mainland docking/parking isn't something I'd take on without a lot of careful thought.

One issue to really consider is mainland access has something to do with the eventual value of your property when you go to sell it someday. Imagine trying to sell your place in a time when mainland access just isn't available.

Many island owners own a mainland slip via one of the many marinas that now offer "condo" slips. This way they can protect their island investment by offering that slip with their house should they want to sell.

Rattlesnake is an interesting choice for island living on a budget because the island association owns mainland access (though no docking for more than a few minutes at a time). I did consider trying to do islands on the cheap by having a small easily launched/retrieved trailer boat kept in the Rattlesnake mainland lot. In the end I just didn't want to cope with the hassle if I happened to arrive late at night or every time I needed something on the mainland.

I did notice you said "commute" in your initial note. Not sure if you mean "commute" to work everyday from an island. I know there are people who do it up in the Gilford islands because I see their boats at Glendale everyday. You'd sure want a protected route from your island home to a dedicated dock if you ever wanted to do this (or an understanding boss who understood that you maybe don't show up on a windy day).
I've been commuting from Mark to the NH seacoast area for years, and the mainland slip is a necessity, in case inclement weather prevents my return to the island. I do have understanding bosses who know the logistics of my travel situation however. I think the "lost in the fog" excuse works best...hard to prove if you're not up there!😉

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-24-2017, 09:02 AM   #25
Orion

Default Thinking out of the box (boat)

There's a perfect solution out there for island owners. If I had an extra $150K I'd be getting one. Forget the mainland dock, boat, trailers, and moving groceries from your car to your boat and get one of these.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2150iFXF5Vc
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:17 AM   #26
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
There's a perfect solution out there for island owners. If I had an extra $150K I'd be getting one. Forget the mainland dock, boat, trailers, and moving groceries from your car to your boat and get one of these.....
That is awesome!!
Old 07-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #27
fatlazyless

Default slow and steady gets you there, too

For those who chose not to pay 150k for a Jeep style, car-boat, from the above post ...... here's a 349-dollar, second choice.

Weighing 20-lbs when inflated, size:10'10"length x30"width x6"thick, capacity-310 lbs, good for someone up to 215-lbs, includes paddle, hand pump, and carry back pack, repair kit, shipping-no charge

Suggest you check out the 'Aqua Marina Fusion' inflatable, stand up paddle board, made in China, at walmart.com, or amazon.com ...... $349

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jLjgPGci_28

This is a very nice s.u.p. stand up paddleboard ...... at what may be a more affordable price.

For people heavier than 215-lbs, up to 265-lbs .....check out the 'Aqua Marina Monster' which is 12'x32"x6".

www.aquamarina.com

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-25-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:14 AM   #28
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Useless information as usual.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #29
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post

I'm impressed. A nice new sport boat, $100,000, small sports car, $50,000. One combined vehicle, $150,000 and I save $4500 year in slip rental and winter storage.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:43 AM   #30
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Useless information as usual.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WaterCar ..... comes with a manual transmission only....boo-hoo.....no automatic available. Maybe it should come with two gold plated paddles .....just in case..... price $150,000?

Wasn't there an amphibious VW beetle, about 75 years ago ..... the VW Schwimmwagen plus a U.S.-made, similar vehicle ..... the Ford GPA known as the 'Seep' ....for Seagoing Jeep.....like, who knew........right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Schwimmwagen

Could be there is one for sale on craigslist ...... achtung?

www.oldbug.com/schwim1.htm ...too bad ...already has been sold!

Over on http://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff/...agen-for-sale/ there's a 1943 schwimm for sale, wehrmacht green, asking $150,000. It has a 5:10 video with about six different schwimmwagens in a river, and on a dirt road.

If only I had the money, I could get me an old Kia Soul with over three hundred thousand miles ..... for $200 .....totally fill it up, inside, with enough foam noodles to make it float ......and then paddle it all the way to Wolfeboro..... .....that would be a fuuuuuuun caaaaaar!

www.schwimmwagen.co.uk: five different videos from Great Britain...which are really something to watch. How's about the propeller assembly in the back that is hinged, and lowered onto the VW 4-cyl crankshaft with a line, just like on a boat.

That's really something that this great little, amphi-car was built 75-years ago, plus it has a very happening name, a Schwimmwagen, plus it looks like it would come with a very low price. Is there any chance for VW to come out with a 2018 Schwimmwagen ....... that is very similar to the old design ..... what a car!

Wikipedia says that a total of 15,584 Volkswagen Type 166, 'Schwimmwaggen' were made from 1941-1944, making it the highest number for any single amphibious vehicle ever. Well ...... is it time to bring it back with a 2018-model .....or what!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-25-2017 at 09:53 AM.