Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Paugusbaby

Default Smoking in The Lobster Pound??

I had dinner at the Lobster Pound a few weeks back (I posted a review under that thread already) and have been wondering about this. We were seated in the old bar area (near the kitchen) and noticed that people were smoking both in that area, as well as out on the closed in porch (I believe there were screens). I thought smoking was completely banned in restaurants now?
Paugusbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
chipj29

It is. As far as I know, only private clubs are exempt from the no smoking law.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugusbaby View Post
We were seated in the old bar area (near the kitchen) and noticed that people were smoking both in that area, as well as out on the closed in porch
Whoa, we were planning to have dinner there Friday with a big group. If there is smoking anywhere on the premises we will change our plans.

Can someone, maybe the owner, clarify this so I can make alternate plans if necessary.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

There is no smoking inside anywhere in a restaurant in NH with the exception of private clubs. It is the law (thank God!)

Outside is another story, though I am not sure how a screen porch is treated.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
mike ray

Default smoking at the weirs beach lobster pound

smoking is only allowed in our outdoor areas. That is the law in the state of New Hampshire.
mike ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
NonVoting Taxpayer

Default What's Next

I don't know what the owners have done to deserve these threads but it's time to give them a break. Hasn't the Forum done enough damage to the Lobster Pound in the past month? Food poisoning and now smoking in the building. Can't imagine what's coming next.
NonVoting Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #7
Resident 2B

I have been to the Lobster Pound several times, mainly for the drinks and great entertainment, and I have not seen anyone smoking inside the building.

It is great to have them within walking distance!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
ironhorsetim

Default smoking???

Been there many times in the last 2 months...I'm a smoker and I've never seen a lit cigarette inside the place

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #9
texas chopper

I also have been to the Pound several times and have only seen smoking out in the patio or up on the top deck. They are putting out some nice meals and have gotten there act together IMO.
texas chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #10
Paugusbaby

My intent was not to do any harm to The Lobster Pound. It was a legitimate question based on what I saw with my own eyes. I have never been a smoker and am not bothered by it. There were people smoking in the bar area near the kitchen and out on the lower level porch - the sliding glass door was open to the restaurant. I did not complain b/c it didn't bother me. I was just suprised and wanted to clarify. Not every post has malicious intent.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #11
sa meredith

Default Perhaps

Maybe the smokers were indeed tourists from Amsterdam, and not realizing our bars do not enjoy the same freedoms the bars in Amsterdam enjoy, they were smoking some material they had brought along with them for their trip to our fine state/country. What did it smell like? Not that I would know...
except for one time in college...oh, and at that wedding that time...oh wait, at camp when I had that party...hold on, that Sunday tailgating before the Pat's game...and that's it..exept, oh wait a minute...
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #12
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Oh well,Paugusbaby.........you meant no harm,but now Jan and his "party' will not be going there unless the smoking police clear the place out first.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #13
Waterbaby

Default Damage, without malicious intent..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugusbaby View Post
My intent was not to do any harm to The Lobster Pound. It was a legitimate question based on what I saw with my own eyes. I have never been a smoker and am not bothered by it. There were people smoking in the bar area near the kitchen and out on the lower level porch - the sliding glass door was open to the restaurant. I did not complain b/c it didn't bother me. I was just suprised and wanted to clarify. Not every post has malicious intent.
......is damage anyway, PB, in my eyes. Perhaps you really did meant it as a legitimate question, but next time maybe you'd say something like "an unnamed restaurant" or "a place which I will leave unnamed"?

And btw, if it didn't bother you, why even bring it up?
Old 08-08-2008, 11:06 PM   #14
jetskier

Post Let's stop the vilification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby View Post
......is damage anyway, PB, in my eyes. Perhaps you really did meant it as a legitimate question, but next time maybe you'd say something like "an unnamed restaurant" or "a place which I will leave unnamed"?

And btw, if it didn't bother you, why even bring it up?
I don't see any malicious intent here. Perhaps the could have been handled more discretely, but...all things considered I don't think that the business suffered because of it. I will give the Lobster Pound a try sometime this year and make my own decisions based upon the food and service. I am sure others feel the same way.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #15
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Whoa, we were planning to have dinner there Friday with a big group. If there is smoking anywhere on the premises we will change our plans.

Can someone, maybe the owner, clarify this so I can make alternate plans if necessary.
Why is it Paugusbaby's fault that Jan desires an eatery free of smoking?

mike ray clearly states smoking is allowed in some areas, by law and owners' choice.

As a result, it is the customer's choice to eat elsewhere.

The customer is still allowed the option of choice of eatery, yes?
Old 08-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #16
jetskier

Post Tried them tonight

We decided to try the Lobster Pound tonight and judge for ourselves. I will give you my (hopefully) unbiased opinions. First, the establishment was pretty much full by around 7:00 pm. We did not have to wait for a table when we arrived at 6:00 pm, but there was a waiting line when we left.

We did not see anyone smoking during our stay and the service was prompt and cheerful. Overall, I felt the the prices were high for the quality and quantity of food. I will tell you what they were so you can judge for yourself.

We had a shrimp cocktail. The shrimp were huge and well prepared ($13.99 for 4 shrimp).

The lobster on the menu costs approximately $25 for a 1 1/4 lb lobster and $49 for a 2 1/2 lb lobster (they do have sizes in the middle). I opted for the baked stuffed in the smaller size. The baked stuffed adds $6 to the price of any size. The meal includes a small salad and a few sides (cole slaw, potato and corn). First, I would recommend against the baked stuffed as the stuffing is pure bread crumbs and butter. Not worth the extra money IMHO unless you are trying to put on weight for that upcoming Sumo match. The lobster was well prepared except that baked stuffed usually means that the body contents are removed and replaced with some type of seafood and bread crumbs. The body was split but not replaced; breadcrumbs and butter were placed on top and baked.

The side portions are extremely small. The salad and coleslaw are particularly little.

The service was prompt and friendly. So, my overall opinion is that the prices are on the high side, some of the portions a bit skimpy. Food quality was good (not great) and the service was very good.

Just my 2 cents (actually a lot more than that tonight )

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:38 AM   #17
Paugusbaby

I brought it up b/c it was a real question for me. As a non-smoker I did not have a real interest in paying a whole lot of attention to the new laws that were passed - but it was my understanding there was no longer smoking allowed INSIDE restaurants. The restaurant I was in where someone was smoking happened to be The Lobster Pound. If it was any other restaurant I would have named it as well. Apparently my thinking is not quite as jaded as some others and I did not think it would harm the restaurant. The owner explained that smoking is NOT allowed in his restaurant - and so obviously my experience was a fluke. If anyone reads my review of the restaurant under that topic you will see that I thought the food was decent.

I asked a legitimate question based on my own personal experience. I don't feel I need to "defend" myself continually b/c I named the restaurant where it happened. Long story short - there is no smoking allowed in The Lobster Pound.

Hae a great day everyone and try to keep your head above the water - I need to go work on my ark!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 09:33 AM   #18
VtSteve

I'd be far more concerned about bread and butter stuffing, a real rich mixture The one thing that makes me want to move to another table is when I see milk. Can't stand the sight of it much less getting near it. Restaurants should be more sympathetic to people that freely serve this killer drink.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #19
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
The one thing that makes me want to move to another table is when I see milk. Can't stand the sight of it much less getting near it.
Can I ask what your parents feed you to make you what you are now??? I don't believe there is another drink that is good for all ages than a ice cold glass of fresh white /chocolate milk more especially when one is brought up on a farm.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #20
sa meredith

Default guess

RLW...I'm guessing his post was a joke...making reference to a post in another thread, where, at one time, it was thought two children had been served bad milk at LP.
It later was thought that the accusation was not accurate.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #21
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
RLW...I'm guessing his post was a joke...making reference to a post in another thread, where, at one time, it was thought two children had been served bad milk at LP.
It later was thought that the accusation was not accurate.
What you talking about??? I just answered thread #18 below on this subject. I know nothing about LP whomever they may be.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #22
sa meredith

Default check out...

Check out the other Lobster Pound (LP) thread...there are many posts regarding two children who were served milk and became very ill...I thought his post was a "take off" from that.
It turned out that the milk probably had nothing to do with the illness.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #23
RLW

Quote:
Check out the other Lobster Pound (LP) thread...there are many posts regarding two children who were served milk and became very ill...I thought his post was a "take off" from that.
It turned out that the milk probably had nothing to do with the illness.
I like many others on the forum screwed up. I as many others did not go all the way back and read every single thread. I just answered that particular thread. My mistake and you can slap my hand for it, but who the heck wants to read 40 or 50 threads to check and see if an individual was answering a certain thread. Sorry.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:11 AM   #24
sa meredith

Default ?

No, no...it was in no way a slap. I was just pointing out that the post by VtSteve was (or so I think) a very creative, humorous reference to what was once a serious issue concerning the LP.
I was just pointing that out to you....never meant any harm, or to slap.
But now that you brought it up.....who were the many others? I saw no other responses to the "milk" post.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #25
RLW

Smile

Quote:
But now that you brought it up.....who were the many others? I saw no other responses to the "milk" post.
This is going on way to long so this will be my last response to this thread. When I said "I as many others did not go all the way back and read every single thread."I was not referring to this thread (MILK) alone it was in general to all threads within the forum and answering them or putting in their 2¢ worth. Thank you kindly SA MEREDITH for all your replies

Last edited by RLW; 08-12-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:18 AM   #26
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
This is going on way to long so this will be my last response to this thread. When I said "I as many others did not go all the way back and read every single thread."I was not referring to this thread (MILK) alone it was in general to all threads within the forum and answering them or putting in their ¢ worth. That you kindly SA MEREDITH for all your replies
Sorry I missed this. I have not looked back at any milk thread. I hate milk.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #27
druma32

Default Weirs Beach Lobster Pound

I've been to the Weirs Beach Lobster Pound on many occasions and have seen the smokers always going out the front door to smoke. The food is excellent and the crowd is always having a fun time. If you haven't been there you should really try it.
druma32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #28
HC0209

It never seizes to amaze me how people get all worked up about smokers as if they're smokin' a crack pipe. I've been to the Pound numerous times and I have never seen anyone smoking in the restaurant (except up on the deck) or smelled it. As a non-smoker I can smell smoke 200 yards away. Unquestionably, second hand smoke is bad for you but I think walking by a couple of smokers will not subject you needing an iron lung later on in life! Also, I'm sure the owners of the Pound would not risk losing their food license by allowing smoking in their restaurant!
HC0209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #29
Newbiesaukee

I don't smoke cigarettes and a few whiffs won't kill ME. My wife, however, has severe asthma and even walking through a cloud of smoke can be a serious problem. We recognize that this is HER problem not the smoker's; but if an area/restaurant is supposed to be non-smoking and is not, this is a real problem. Not having been there I do not know about the Lobster Pound, but for some people second hand smoke is not a trivial issue
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #30
sa meredith

Default no indoor smoking

I've been there (LP) several times...never saw anyone smoke indoors...never.
However, upstairs, at the outdoor bar, I believe it is allowed. It is, after all, OUT SIDE! As in open air. As in, if you don't smoke, you have every single bar and restaurant in the state, to enjoy your "smoke free" meal/adult beverage". Again, YOU HAVE EVERY.... SINGLE.... INDOOR.... PLACE, TO ENJOY, SMOKE FREE!" In the entire state. Can smokers have the outdoor bars? And no, I don't smoke. Never have. But christ people, how did you all survice without turning purple, or growing a third arm, or dropping down dead during the smoked filled days of the 60's and 70's?
Have we not all attended cub scout/ boy scout/ girl scout family meetings in church halls, FILLED with smoke?
Or visited the old Boston Garden when the last few rows of the balcony were in a haze by the third period (*and wasn't it just so perfect back then? A smoked filled building in April for a B's/Hab playoff game)?
Or worked in office buildings that were smoked filled all day?
Or drove around in January, in a car, with the windows up, while ma, dad, and grand pa smoked away?
Now, we don't want people smoking, outside?
Man, when did we all get so darn fragile??!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
dewitt (03-18-2009), Nadia (03-29-2009), Pineedles (03-19-2009), SteveA (03-20-2009), Waterbaby (03-19-2009)
Old 03-18-2009, 06:36 PM   #31
Newbiesaukee

I am sure there is some middle ground (although this is a piece of real estate that no one seems to want these days )but in the "good old days" life expectancy was age 40, women couldn't vote, children rolled cigars in factories at age 11 (at least my grandfather did), "colored people" (not people of color) couldn't vote ( or drink from "whites only" fountains in some parts of our country),penicillin didn't exist, children got polio and cigarettes were promoted as being good for ones health. Memory is a very useful tool in any discussion because you can choose what you wish to remember and forget the rest. Men were really men in those days
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #32
Nadia

Wink No Smoking

As Mike Ray said there is no smoking allowed inside the Weirs Beach Lobster Pound. Smokers may be seen outside the building, or on the decks. The kitchen is located in the far rear of the building, there is no way patrons would be able to see anyone smoking "near the kitchen" even if there was anyone doing it. It's possible someone may have lit up on the deck and tried to stroll back inside with their smoke. They would be asked to extinguish the cigarette upon entrance by any staff member, and the entire scenario is highly unlikely, but it could happen. Especially someone looking to the bar for an ashtray. I remember being in this position as someone who owned a busy restaraunt. A very large group of devoted customers...some who smoked, some who didn't. Some weren't offended by an occasional whiff coming through the front door when people were piled up out there smoking, and some who refused to walk within 200 feet of a lit cigarette. It's tough. You love all your customers, and want all to feel happy and comfortable. It's difficult to find a happy medium because smoking is pretty taboo. We never want to make decisions that favor one group. Smoke tends to linger and seep in, especially when people are smoking at the front door and patrons walk in, a gust of smoke may follow them in and linger temporarily. I don't own the Pound, but being familiar with it's floor plan and the habits of it's patrons, my best suggestion is for those who are completely, 100% intolerant of smoke, asked to be seated in the middle of the dining room. Away from the front door, side doors, and any decks. I guarantee you will not get a whiff.
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote