Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default All right. How do I get rid of these folk?

I seem to have a small family of 4 or 5 of these very smelly little animals under my deck at the front door of my house. I love all creatures that God has created but He/She messed up the chemical nature of their perfume I think.
I would very much like them gone so i don't have to play guard when the wife comes home every night. I have to yell up to her to stay in her car while I hiss like a cat until they run away.......Yeah, I probably, no, I certainly do, look like an idiot hissing loudly at these little guys/girls .
Poor picture but it was nighttime and it is a cell phone picture. I got video but can't seem to load it into my computer.....

Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
magicrobotmonkey

we used to trap them with a have a heart trap, if you leave a blanket over it, they won't spray and you can cart them off far into the woods and let them go
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
Lakesrider

I'd need four or five traps....Anyone want one of these nice furry little fellas. I am willing to travel, and could drop them off at your place for free....
Old 09-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Skunkbusters

When those cute little critters took up residence under my shed I called these guys
Professional Licensed Wildlife Removal
In my case the dog had an encounter with the little critters one night. Boy did he stink. They got him right in the eyes.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
RLW

When I was growing up on the farm in Maine as a kid of 13/14 we use to walk the stone walls with a flashlight looking for them with our pockets full of rocks. When one was spotted we would put the light in his eyes and they froze and you can guess what happened after that. It kept them out of the hen yards and sheds. Now remeber the age before going at me.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
twoplustwo

Default moth balls might help

Apparently they think moth balls stink (go figure) and will head to a less stinky place if you put a bunch of them under your deck. Worked for us when we had a couple stinking up the joint.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
Sunrise Point

Mothballs do work! We have had problems with skunks under our deck at home and the mothballs did get rid of them. They are inexpensive and usually can be found at supermarkets and hardware stores.

Good luck!

Last edited by Sunrise Point; 09-29-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: grammar
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
travaler18

Question

what do you do with the moths after?
travaler18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
NoBozo

A few years ago I walked out into the garage for some reason....don't remember if it was daylight or dark. ...I think it was daylight..morning: (raised ranch with garage under), Saw a Black and White TAIL hanging out from under the deck of the riding lawn mower. I opened the garage door with the button...don't know how long the skunk had been snoozin...left the garage door open all night. The visitor was gone the next morning. Sometimes you get lucky. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
Chickie

Default Skunk Tales and Adventures

I had a mother and four kits move into my barn about four years ago. I leave an open space under the barn so my cat can come and go as she pleases, and I guess they thought they were welcome to do so, as well. It was panic time when I discovered them there, but they only peered at me from a distance and spared me from their scent of sweet perfume. I called the animal control officer and learned she has on occasion caught such critters, but her main concern is usually dogs and cats. She gave me the phone number of Fish & Game and wished me luck.

Fish and Game does not get involved with such things, but they gave me a list of trappers. It would have cost $100 to set the trap and $100 for each kitty they caught and relocated. The receptionist I spoke with was most helpful. She told me that skunks are nomadic creatures and if I could wait them out for a week or two, they would probably depart on their own.

Every night at dusk, they would come out to romp and feed on my lawn and I would take refuge on my back porch. I found a website which gave me more information than I ever wanted to know about the lives of skunks. One site was entitled, “I Never Met A Skunk I Didn’t Like.” How cool is that? They are actually very docile creatures and not "out to get you" – will rarely spray unless cornered. A friend suggested I set up a radio and blast them with loud music night and day. Instead of getting them to move on, I believe they were holding barn dances every night. No luck with that. Anyway in a little over two weeks’ time they had packed their bags and left the premises, never to be seen again.

My cousin, who is a woman in her 80’s has trapped a number of them at her home and says she has never been sprayed. She uses a Have A Heart Trap, throws a blanket over them and off they go to a new environment. She is braver than I am.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:31 AM   #11
chipj29

If any of you have ever camped in the only campground on Martha's Vineyard, you are not afraid of skunks, at least the skunks there.
At dusk, the skunks wander out of the woods that surround the campground, and walk around looking for snacks. Now when I say skunks, there are literally dozens of them. They are not afraid of humans, and they don't spray.
Wife and I were sitting at the picnic table playing cards one night, and we felt something rubbing against our legs, and could feel fur. Look down and sure enough....it was a skunk. If you scream and run away, you could get sprayed. But if you just sit and watch them, no problem, they are just like a cat.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
kaj

Default Mothballs gets my votes too!

I use moth balls under my shed every year. I also make sure my dog does his business (#1) around the perimeter of the yard. Haven't had a skunk in my yard since I started doing this. They actually moved into my neighbor' shed one winter and the mothballs have worked for her also.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
Lakesrider

So if I took a leak around my deck tonight...problem solved? LOL. ummm I'll do it.

I tried a few M80's last night while they were all out of the hole under my deck and in my yard. Didn't even phase them. they just kept on going about digging up my grass looking for grubs. I must have them as i could see them pull them up. Guess I need Grubx now too. I'll have to go to Wally World and see if they have industrial mothballs....
Old 09-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #14
ACutAbove

Alpha Omega wildlife control, Tom is his name, does very good work I do not have his # right now but he is out of Meredith if that helps. Ill try and dig up his # tomorrow.
630-2598

Last edited by ACutAbove; 10-01-2009 at 12:59 PM.
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #15
Argie's Wife

Ditto on them hunting grubs - that's haute cuisine to a skunk.

And I didn't know about them not liking moth balls - so, that's how you out stink a skunk!

--------

My dad was an animal control officer for Sanford, ME for many years and responded to calls for skunk removal from people's shed, garages, porches, etc. He used a HaveAHeart trap, which is a simple box trap, and would bait it with tuna - they love tuna! He's throw a blanket over the trap and then take them out to the woods to release them.

My parents had just bought a 16 acre farm and I guess Dad thought it was enough property to share with the skunks, as he released over 9 of them on the property one year. As you can imagine, the following spring, when young skunks minds turned to thoughts of love, there was an outcry from the neighbors. I remember hearing comments about it in the post office...

"[Insert Maine vernacular that uses the Lord's name in vain here] - where did all of those skunks come from?! We got more skunks than Carter has Liver Pills!"

Funny, I don't think they realized exactly what the animal control officer was up to... and I don't think he realized they would multiply!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #16
Misty Blue

Default Sonic device

You can purchase a little noise maker at the hardware store. It can't be heard by humans but really works on moving rodents out of an area. I assume that it would work on skunks. BTW...I love skunks. It costs just a few bucks.

Don't use it if you have hampsters, etc. near by.

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #17
Kamper

FYI - Wrap the moth balls (or flakes) in a twist of cloth or an old sock. This will make it easier to retrieve them if you want to.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #18
Kamper

Just rememberred this...

Havahart has a variety of repellant chemicals in addition to their humane traps. Some of them are multipurpose and safe for "organic" gadening so should be okay under the porch.

http://www.havahart.com/store/animal-repellents/bdapb

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #19
GTO

Default same here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicrobotmonkey View Post
we used to trap them with a have a heart trap, if you leave a blanket over it, they won't spray and you can cart them off far into the woods and let them go

I first tried my paintball gun. The mother was out one night and I painted her green with a few shots. Never really phased her, she just walked away.

Get the have a heart trap. I used dry cat food as bait. I caught 5 skunks in a week and safely transported all of them with the blanket over the cage without any spraying. I also used a friends pickup truck....just in case. We were odor free the rest of the summer. It got to the point they were spraying outside every night. And I swore it was right below the bedroom window where the fan was blowing in.

Funny story though, after a few days of setting the trap, I came home from work and found a black and white animal in the cage. Unfortunately it was my cat.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #20
Lakesrider

Well tonight I was helping my other half, Kathy, with some of her packages. Getting them from the car to the house. When they all popped out from under the deck again. This time we stood and watched them for a while. We noticed tonight that after they were all out for a few minutes another, much smaller one came out and stood very close to a tree. The other four kits(?) basically attacked it. Must be the runt of the litter as I had not counted this one over the last few days. I tried moth balls, and ammonia. They just walk right by them. I am going to try the flood light idea tomorrow. But all in all they really don't do much. The yard is not stinky or anything. I am guessing the mother is getting ready to boot them out anyway as they are all fighting each other...
Did I mention M80s don't phase them either....?
Old 10-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #21
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking M80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Did I mention M80s don't phase them either....?
It's a good thing! You could have set them off and your house would really stink!

My crazy father used to make friends with our local skunks. It seemed to act very much like a cat. I think it was a ploy to get some alone time at the pool.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #22
GFP

Default Skunk problem

My son had a problem with a family of skunks who lived under his deck. He waited until they came out at dusk, because they always did.
Bravely, he crawled under the deck to see that they were all out, then he and his father put up screening so they could not come back in. He had to make sure some of it was buried because they are diggers. They found another home, and have never returned.
GFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #23
Chickie

Default Have They Left Yet?

Lakesider,

What is the status of your odiferous guests? Have they checked out of their vacation hide-away as yet, or have they decided to stay on a while longer to enjoy the foliage? Hopefully the younguns have been weaned by now and have been cast out by their Mom.

I saw one of those black and white critters scurrying down the sidewalk early this morning. Daylight was fast approaching and it was probably making a beeline for home, as it seemed to have a definite destination in mind. They generally tend to just amble along, but this guy was really booking it. It was headed in the direction of McDonald's, so it may have been anxious to pick up a quick coffee before calling it a night.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #24
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
Apparently they think moth balls stink (go figure) and will head to a less stinky place if you put a bunch of them under your deck. Worked for us when we had a couple stinking up the joint.
This is the technique that I am familiar with an ex-girlfriend (a story for another time) had a rental place where a few of the odorific varmits took up resident for longer then was exceptable. So we bought a few boxes of moth balls. Spread them around the paramenter of the house and porch, and then also around a shed on the property.

Sure enough a few weeks later the skunks had moved on somewhere else. In this endevour the skunks were spotted several times on the property... One time by me. They are not evil creatures. I kept my distance, and they theirs and all was fine.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #25
Lakesrider

Sorry....But yes there are still a few around. I have not been home at the right time latly to see if they are still coming from the deck, but I have seen one or two go back towards the deck and then go under. Strange that I can stand right at the edge of the deck while they are out doing their thing in my yard, but as soon as I clap or make a noise they run right toward me and head under the deck. They don't even see me. But last night one came and put his paws on the edge of the deck whee my feet were and started looking up at me. I wasn't too worried as his tail was pointing away from me at the time. then it did a few sniff sniffs and under it went. In my observations, I have noticed the interaction they have with other animals such as my friendly fox. They do not point their butts at the fox but merely stamp the ground with their front paws as a warning. They certainly stand their ground though. But no spraying that I have seen. Tie will tell if they decide to leave. I did find a skunk trap in the Northern tool catalog for 55.00. A no spray type. If all else fails and I have a bigger issue, I'll pick one up. But so far they have not proven to be as troublesome or as stinky as I first thought they would be. Especially being 5 of them....

I don't know if you can see this or not, but I'll post a link to try...

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...004091813a.flv
Old 10-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #26
nightrider

Default have-a-heart

trap them in a hav-a-heart then take them swimming in the lake.....last time you will be bothered!
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #27
fpartri497

Default have a heart

Sort of defeats the purpose doesent It?

Old 10-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #28
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Sorry....But yes there are still a few around. I have not been home at the right time latly to see if they are still coming from the deck, but I have seen one or two go back towards the deck and then go under. Strange that I can stand right at the edge of the deck while they are out doing their thing in my yard, but as soon as I clap or make a noise they run right toward me and head under the deck. They don't even see me. But last night one came and put his paws on the edge of the deck whee my feet were and started looking up at me. I wasn't too worried as his tail was pointing away from me at the time. then it did a few sniff sniffs and under it went. In my observations, I have noticed the interaction they have with other animals such as my friendly fox. They do not point their butts at the fox but merely stamp the ground with their front paws as a warning. They certainly stand their ground though. But no spraying that I have seen. Tie will tell if they decide to leave. I did find a skunk trap in the Northern tool catalog for 55.00. A no spray type. If all else fails and I have a bigger issue, I'll pick one up. But so far they have not proven to be as troublesome or as stinky as I first thought they would be. Especially being 5 of them....

I don't know if you can see this or not, but I'll post a link to try...

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...004091813a.flv

When I went to photobucket to see the video about the skunks, I was able to look at all of your video's & photo's. Maybe this is the way you want it, but I would suggest that you change your photobucket account to private so that the only picture that can be looked at will be the one you posted.
To do that, click on account options and then change My Album is Private.

Last edited by Yosemite Sam; 10-21-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #29
Chickie

Default Cute family video

Those little kits are pretty cute (unless of course they are living under your deck). They appear to be about the size the ones in my barn were around the time they headed out on their own. My guess is that the old girl isn't going to keep them around too much longer. Time to hit the trail, guys!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:48 AM   #30
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
trap them in a hav-a-heart then take them swimming in the lake.....last time you will be bothered!
Hellooooo...."Have a heart" Just bring them way into the woods somewhere, they won't be back.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #31
gravy boat

Default Pepe Le Pew

Perhaps purchasing the scent of a predator (Coyote) and spraying it around the perimeter would help. Of course you would want to keep it far enough away from where it would be noticed by you.

As I mentioned earlier in another thread, since we've allowed our dogs to relieve themselves in areas previously visited by turkeys, fox and an occasional bear we have seen no signs of wildlife.
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #32
SIKSUKR

Maybe you could borrow Gravys dog for a day.