Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2005, 06:42 AM   #1
ApS

Default Where IS Everybody?

Except for the last two seasons, I've always had a handful of small boats and pontoon boats anchored off my shore -- per season. Last season was cloudy and rainy, so their absence was understandable.

This season, the general boat population seems to be "down" in number, though we've had gorgeous weather thses last several weeks.

My cottage-rental agent confirms that this has been a slow season for rentals, so it's "not just me". (And they confirmed fewer boats off their own lakefront location too).

Surely, the price of gasoline wouldn't keep 'em home, or would it?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
Great Idea

Default Lake Quality part of it?

In talking with many of our guests and our neighbor's guests/other area visitors this year and last we have noticed a big change in people's perception of the lake..... Many comment that it is just too busy, congested and over developed. Others mentioned the cutting of houses into the hill sides and the ever increasing noise and boat traffic as other negative aspects they didn't like. Really sad to think that we may have turned the corner finally regarding the quality of the lake. Perception is everything. In this case their perception is based perhaps on some real issues and alarming trends? Maybe why you are seeing less boats? Less Renters? Food for thought?
Great Idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:05 PM   #3
MJM

I have noticed a decrease as well, notably on weekends. I wonder if it is due to the lake's reputation as being too crowded and dangerous a place on weekends?

It's a little like Yogi Berra's saying "That place is so crowded all the time, no one goes there anymore."
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:34 PM   #4
Cal

I prefer weekdays myself , less congestion , room at town docks , emptier eateries...what could be better
Old 08-17-2005, 08:16 PM   #5
trfour

Default This is a Gas, price issue

$ 2.50 per gallon on the street, more by boat, and unleaded aircraft fuel is over $ 4.00 a gallon... Lets not talk about jet fuel. !!
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2005, 09:12 PM   #6
Lakegeezer

Default The other side of the cycle?

Gas prices have to be making a difference in the traffic. With all the no-rafting zones, it is harder to be on the lake while not burning gas. Imagine the traffic changes if gas prices hit $5 a gallon! The lake quality, the clarity and duck itch may also be having an impact. The spring rains and high level are part of the cause just this year, or maybe the quality corner has been turned. So - many get what they want - a less motorboats and more sail and paddleboats.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:30 PM   #7
KTO

You may want to try looking in the cove next to Farrar Point, there are up to 100 boats rafting/floating there on nice weekend days.
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:02 AM   #8
PROPELLER

So whats the problem? Isn't less boats, less crowds, less people what many have wanted on Lake Winnipesaukee? Isn't that what many threads on this forum was about? How the lake is too crowded, too may boats.

Now the complaint will be how the businesses will suffer. Sounds like what people want is the hotels/motels/inns, restaurants & shops to be full to capacity but no boats on the lake. When in fact it is the lake & the opportunity to boat on the lake that brought them here to begin with. Can't have it both ways.

Last edited by PROPELLER; 08-18-2005 at 08:06 AM.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:30 AM   #9
Bear Islander

I'm with Propeller, if crowds stay away all the more fun for the rest of us.

If it continues maybe property values and taxes will come back to reality. How about less tear-downs replaced with mansions that nobody uses.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:14 AM   #10
Great Idea

Default Different look at the issue...

My observation was one of concern regarding the trend of folks now perceiving the lake as "undesirable". If folks are starting to perceive the lake in a negative light maybe we have some real problems that need to be addressed? Maybe we can learn from this before it is too late and put the changes in place to stem the trend toward over developement and polluting our great lake/resource. We owe it to our kids and future generations to safegard and protect the lake so that they can have the opportunity to enjoy it also. Unfortunately making some of these "changes" isn't popular in NH or on this forum. The lake as everyone always says isn't owned by anyone. We are really "borrowing" the lake. When I borrow something I try to leave it in the same or better condition than when it was lent to me. We owe it to past and future generations to take of care of it.

Last edited by Great Idea; 08-18-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Great Idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:18 AM   #11
Mee-n-Mac

Talking The joy of Mcmansions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander
{snip} If it continues maybe property values and taxes will come back to reality. How about less tear-downs replaced with mansions that nobody uses.
I agree, Propellor has it right on this one. I suspect that maybe reality will catch up to property values/taxes, it'll just take a while. Of course if biotech or nanotech or ?? becomes the new "hot thing" and the economy picks up, then all bets are off. And what's wrong with replacement mansions that nobody uses. Taxes paid, up to code septic systems, town services not utilized and their boats on the lake but 1 week a summer. Esthetics aside, there are some practical advantages.

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 08-18-2005 at 11:38 AM.
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Exclamation Another way to look at it.......

Taxation have driven many families away that have lived on the lakes for years. Many motels and cottage colonies have either been converted to condos and or torn down for mansions. Many mansions are made up of a number of cottages on the lake. Summer camps are also converted to mansions/condos.
Mansions/condo owners are only up for a few weekends out of the year. Many of these homes are empty during the week and weekends. I think Winnipesakee will eventually end up like Squam, where the haves can keep out the have nots.
Because of property values, marinas have not been able to expand. Nor are there any new marinas built in the the past decade. Hopefully the marinas on the lake will not give up and sell their properties to developers, like what is happening on the ocean.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:39 AM   #13
KBoater

Default School Schedule

Another factor in the least people issue is the change of the school year. Now many districts go back before Labor Day and some return August 1. There are petitions in some states to change back to the original concept of summer. This impacts not only on there being less people but less summer help for the businesses.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:49 AM   #14
Pam

Default Quality issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer
Gas prices have to be making a difference in the traffic. With all the no-rafting zones, it is harder to be on the lake while not burning gas. Imagine the traffic changes if gas prices hit $5 a gallon! The lake quality, the clarity and duck itch may also be having an impact. The spring rains and high level are part of the cause just this year, or maybe the quality corner has been turned. So - many get what they want - a less motorboats and more sail and paddleboats.

Since I"m always concerned about lake quality, I took a look at the Winnipesaukee Watershed 2004 report, which I found pretty interesting and reassuring.

http://www.winnipesaukee.org/whats-new.htm

With the number of people, boats, etc. on the lake, it's a miracle that the quality of the lake has held up as well as it has, though we can never be too vigilant.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:56 AM   #15
Grant

Default Quiet!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhh!

Don't say anything! You might incite a rush!
Old 08-18-2005, 02:41 PM   #16
Bubba

Default Follow Grant's lead

Yes, volume of people is down this year. You can ask anyone. Everyone sees it. But money is still being spent. On the other hand, there are still folks out there that do not know Winni exsists.

However, if a certain part-time, 2nd home on the water, tried to use yellow "security bouys" owner decides that Massachusetts politics isn't enough and goes national, ... well, y'all know what happened in Maine.

As Grant said, shhhh be very quiet. Don't jinx it and make it even worse.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:23 PM   #17
Grant

Default Secret Service Divers

Bubba -- Bite your tongue! If Mitt runs, we'll never dive Clark's Point again! (Or live to tell about it...)
Old 08-19-2005, 10:48 AM   #18
colt17

Default Bubba i agree

just read an article in this weeks Nashua Telegraph about what would happen to Wolfeboro if Mitt runs for office in 2008. Wolfeboro would be in lockdown when he is intown, helicopters overhead, secret service in boats, snipers watching intown, checklists and traffic stops it would be a mess!!!!

"just wait, it will be a massive change," says Donald Fiske, head of selectman in Kennebunkport, Maine, which was President George H.W. Bush's summer White House from 1989-92. "I would say to Wolfeboro, you don't really know what the possibilites are of how your town will be effected."
colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:57 AM   #19
MJM

Default Article Link

http://www.silive.com/newsflash/poli...ylist=politics
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:47 PM   #20
trfour

Default Everyone, is at the sandbar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
Except for the last two seasons, I've always had a handful of small boats and pontoon boats anchored off my shore -- per season. Last season was cloudy and rainy, so their absence was understandable.

This season, the general boat population seems to be "down" in number, though we've had gorgeous weather thses last several weeks.

My cottage-rental agent confirms that this has been a slow season for rentals, so it's "not just me". (And they confirmed fewer boats off their own lakefront location too).

Surely, the price of gasoline wouldn't keep 'em home, or would it?

This year, you will see many boats at the local sandbar. You see, " they just kind of push and swim them into place and in so doing save on gas, with the exception of an occasional.. ( boston whaler ) !..
Hey!... When the chips are down, stay clear of the cow flaps... "

Love,
T.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 08-19-2005 at 08:02 PM. Reason: CRS,.. can't remember stuff.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:49 AM   #21
Lakewinniboater

Default Oh Please!!!!!``

I really don't want to encite a riot here... but come one. Now you are grasping at straws for your cause. A month ago you were saying it was too crowded and posting aireal pictures showing congestion on the 4th or July. Now you are saying the lake isn't crowded. Seems there is an agenda at hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not meaning to be rude but................this year is the same as any other year. Which by the way is a bit odd since some gas stations are $3.19 per gallon.

Can you imagine what would happen to the area if all those people like me with disposable income left?

AGAIN ........ PLEASE make up your mind as to what you want your fight/ debate is to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2005, 10:02 AM   #22
Islander

Lakewinniboater

When you are being rude and argumentative, just adding "Not meaning to be rude" doesn't make it acceptable.

And this year is not like other years, rentals for instance, are way down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:35 AM   #23
gtxrider

Default You could have fooled me!

I don't know but driving home last weekend the traffic was terrible. One would think that with the price of gas there would be fewer cars on the road but that does not seem to be the case.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:46 AM   #24
Paugus Bay Resident

Quote:
rentals for instance, are way down
Every place around the Weirs had No Vacancy signs out last night. NASWA has been booked solid all summer.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 08:57 PM   #25
Lakewinniboater

Default simply my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander
Lakewinniboater

When you are being rude and argumentative, just adding "Not meaning to be rude" doesn't make it acceptable.

And this year is not like other years, rentals for instance, are way down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simply my opinion. I have never sat in traffic on the way up like I have recently.

Not everyone's rental's are down. Some are.... some renters have purchased homes or cruiser's to live on during the summer. 7 people I know of have this season. For the group I know that is a very high percentage.

I am sorry if you found it rude. However, it is possible that you might be a bit overly sensitive about the issue.

I have no problem with differing opinions as long as facts are used while considering the issue.

I certainly didn't mean to offend you. Just putting in my two cents.

Have a great week

Last edited by Lakewinniboater; 08-21-2005 at 09:04 PM.
Lakewinniboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:46 AM   #26
dpg

Don't worry, Mitt will lose if he runs, he's just a pretty boy! Ya, I live in Mass..
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:01 AM   #27
TomC

Default i have a rental property...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander
Lakewinniboater

..and it was nearly 100% occupied for the high season. Perhaps my situation was atypical, but there is no reason why this should be the case. The realtors will tell you rental bookings are down, because for them, they are. Many propertry owners have turned to online services to book properties, because the local agents charge significant commision fees, which are entirely avoided that way.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:10 AM   #28
Bubba

Default dpg, please be correct

I know some folks that worked with him on the Olympics. He was not a popular person when he left Utah. And they would all agree with you. He puts on a good show.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:10 PM   #29
nym3007

Default Gotta Agree

I went to the Weirs 3 weeks this summer July18-25th July 31st- Aug 7th and Aug 13-22nd. I have seen hotels booked solid as Paugus Bay Resident stated in an early post. The weekends have been booked everywhere but weekdays alot of places are empty which makes for an enjoyable week with less cars and less traffic especially the clueless wonders who drive 25 mph < sry if any of you read this>, and the resturants are more enjoyable to eat at and the boardwalk at Weirs is empty and you can enjpy yourself better, but on weekends forget it the Weirs is Mobbed, resturants are packed and places are booked. Therefore people are traveling only on weekends than staying a whole week.
nym3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:11 PM   #30
ApS

Default Perception is Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewinniboater
I really don't want to encite a riot here... but come one. Now you are grasping at straws for your cause. A month ago you were saying it was too crowded and posting aireal pictures showing congestion on the 4th or July. Now you are saying the lake isn't crowded.
Please show references. The aerials were posted by others.

I agree with propeller, mee&mac, Dave R, Coastal Laker, B R, Fun4us, and lakershaker that boat traffic is down. MJM, Lakegeezer, Great Idea, BroadHopper, FLboater, Bubba, and Islander have noticed too.

The Weirs is always busy, as is Naswa. (Tourism, attractions, mutual-admiration boaters, booze). I mean, where else can you go to a water slide next to a 72-square-mile lake? Traffic on the 20th was bog-slow, but there was a serious rear-ender west-bound near the Weirs. I was in that same traffic.

Once again, boat traffic is way down this week. Only one boat pulling a tube in my area -- per day -- and still no boats anchoring along this entire shore -- let alone in front of my place.

It could be the price of gasoline, but rentals are normally made between December and March, when gasoline wasn't an issue.

Duck itch doesn't seem likely, as posters here were surprised to see so many mentions of it. (And it's been in northern lakes for decades).

Bike Week occurs too early in the season to be a factor -- in cottage rentals, anyway.

Realty agents use the Internet for booking rentals too, and it is likely that most renters use realtors, just as folks sell/trade their cars through agents rather than advertise for themselves. I'd be surprised to hear any realtor admit that their rental season was bleak -- but they did.

Two rental cottages near me have been taken off the rental market, which should have increased inquiries to me and my neighbors. Five of my neighbors to the west of me have "for sale" signs on their docks.

I'm thinking it's a combination of Great Idea and MJM's ideas: The perception of a crowded lake and the perception of danger.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:55 AM   #31
ApS

Default Friendly waves on the "Smile of the Great Spirit"

After a four-week absence, I ventured out yesterday. There were many more boaters compared to Tuesday and Wednesday, which were dead.

Lots of boaters initiated friendly waves at me. It was like old times!
Old 08-29-2005, 01:48 PM   #32
Dave R

Quote:
After a four-week absence, I ventured out yesterday. There were many more boaters compared to Tuesday and Wednesday, which were dead.

Lots of boaters initiated friendly waves at me. It was like old times!
I've been trying to wave at everybody this year. Maybe it's catching...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:12 PM   #33
Grant

Default Aerial Evidence

I was on the receiving end of a lot of unsolicited drive-by wavings this past week. It was weird -- like I was in some sort of time warp...hadn't seen that in years.

And, speaking of the lack of boats, look at the lack of traffic in these three areial shots -- taken on Friday 8/26...

Melvin Bay to the Broads:

http://www.pbase.com/gfevans/image/48409637

Moultonboro - Black:

http://www.pbase.com/gfevans/image/48409637

Wawbeek - Melvin:

http://www.pbase.com/gfevans/image/48409648

Last edited by Grant; 08-29-2005 at 02:15 PM.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 03:39 PM   #34
Orion

Default weekend traffic

Weekdays are generally quiet, but this weekend (Saturday to be specific) was jammed out there on the Lake. Lots of boats in lower Moultonborough Bay anyway. Can't imagine the Weirs channel.

Maybe I'm old school....but I always wave! Let's keep it friendly out there.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:59 PM   #35
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Exclamation Maybe they are conserving gas and anchoring ?

I did not notice a lack of boats on the lake last week. I did see a lot of boat traffic and people at anchor or rafting. I can't argue with the aerial photos and, overall, it seemed like the Launch Boat and Park Car places were not overflowing as in previous years. It did seem like fewer overall. I remember, not many years ago, there were huge traffic jams just to get to or past the Weirs (by car or motorcycle) on a good weekend. Not lately. I wonder why.

I did notice an increase in "the wave" while on the water. When my children were younger they would feel slighted if they waved and there was no wave back from the other boat. I always try to wave or make some positive gesture.

Here's a picture of the boats at anchor, mid week by the Silver Sands swim line in Sanders Bay. An example of what trfour was saying. More boats anchoring closer to home port than cruising and burning gas.
Attached Images

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.

Last edited by Skipper of the Sea Que; 08-29-2005 at 07:07 PM.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:54 PM   #36
trfour

Default " The Wave " has always been the WAY!

for me....

This wonderful Lake, and, may I include this Website, is an Awesome place to be... God,.. i couldn't begin to count the Waves that my family and I have enjoyed here, good weather, bad weather or even fuel priceing!
LOVE, is, and has always been here for us all, enjoy Folks.
Thanks Skipper,
Love,
T.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:52 PM   #37
fatlazyless

Even if you drive a gas guzzler pickup or big suv, people always find a way to get to the lake as long as the weather forecast is good. It's got to be the weather that determines how busy it gets out on the water. The weather was really hot and humid and stormy for June & July. Except for the recent Hurricane Katrina related local weather, August had long stretches of beautifull summer weather.

What I'd really like to see on the tv is a film clip of President Bush fishing while on his very recent vacation in his Dad's Kennebunkport Maine kept, 31' Fountain fishing boat, w/ the three brand new, Mercury 275hp Verado engines. Well, at least they are clean running four-strokes that do not pollute like the old two-strokes. Nah, that'll never happen.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:07 PM   #38
Kona Bay Girl

Shhh, the lake is sleeping this summer.

Everyone needs a good nap once in a while to get on the same page again. If anything, it's doing the lake some good.

So shhh, let it sleep.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:18 AM   #39
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:

"Five of my neighbors to the west of me have "for sale" signs on their docks."
APS - Wouldn't those "For Sale" signs be more of a function of people's fear of what will be going on development-wise at the adjacent former airpark?

(Jeesh....I just can't get the hang of that "quote" function)
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:46 PM   #40
ApS

Quote:
"Five of my neighbors to the west of me have "for sale" signs on their docks."
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
APS - Wouldn't those "For Sale" signs be more of a function of people's fear of what will be going on development-wise at the adjacent former airpark?
From what I've been led to believe, those are the least affected. One sold recently by dropping his price $400,000 (!) from last year's price.

Another four signs went up this summer on the mainland opposite -- unaffected by any development.

Former airpark? The airport is nearly as busy as the mid-90's, with many more helicopters than previously. You can watch the air activity from The Broads this weekend.

Weekend weather looks good, while everybody burns up the "old" gasoline in their boat gas tanks. The lake should be busy this three-day Labor Day weekend...even with the gas situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
(Jeesh....I just can't get the hang of that "quote" function)
After you've left-clicked the "quote" button, make sure all the brackets appear -- sometimes they don't make it — you can just type them in.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:26 PM   #41
Mee-n-Mac

Default Helicopters

Quote:
Former airpark? The airport is nearly as busy as the mid-90's, with many more helicopters than previously. You can watch the air activity from The Broads this weekend.
That's interesting to hear. I've noticed a marked increase in what I think are tour 'copters going up/down Alton bay. I've assumed they were running from Moultonboro but this is another good explanation.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:05 PM   #42
mrportjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
That's interesting to hear. I've noticed a marked increase in what I think are tour 'copters going up/down Alton bay. I've assumed they were running from Moultonboro but this is another good explanation.
Did you see the copter on Sunday out of the Laconia Airport? I was in the lake just talking with some friends and we saw the same copter take off and land over 12 times in 30-45 minutes - at first we thought it was a news copter but then we noticed it was always flying in the same patern, must have been a student or something practising landings and take offs!
mrportjeff is offline   Reply With Quote