Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Legionnaire70

Default Sandy Point remodel?

Drove by today, roll-off dumpster in the yard and what looks like some construction activity to the restaurant....

Anyone know what's happening?
Legionnaire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Legionnaire70 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
phoenix

new owners have taken over
Old 02-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Legionnaire70

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
new owners have taken over
Yah I heard that. I wasn't sure if anyone knew what they were doing though..is it going to be similar menu? Maybe renovate the dining room a little so people don't have to scream over one another to talk....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Legionnaire70 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
Rinkerguy

Bob has been doing improvements to the property for the past few years. With the change in management of the restaurant one could assume the restaurant will get an updating. Hopefully it won't loose it's charm during the update
Rinkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rinkerguy For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (05-20-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
ghfromaltonbay

Default Straight from the source.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkerguy View Post
Bob has been doing improvements to the property for the past few years. With the change in management of the restaurant one could assume the restaurant will get an updating. Hopefully it won't loose it's charm during the update
Stopped by and visited with Bob last week. The new restaurant team is remodelling the bar area, painting and also brightening up the booths. As far as the food, they are keeping the lobster, prime rib & clams as well as other menu favorites. However, they will have the restaurant open for breakfast, lunch & dinner, so they will be creating more extensive breakfast + lunch menus. Also, the restaurant will be open full time when the resort is open, i.e, early May thru Columbus Day. They won't be doing just weekends as previously done at the beginning and end of the resort season when the Damons had the restaurant. I hope the new management has a successful first season with these changes.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ghfromaltonbay For This Useful Post:
Broken Glass (05-20-2013), COWISLANDDONZI (03-07-2013), DonziJeff (05-01-2013), Heading4thelake (05-12-2013), Just Sold (03-06-2013), MaidenCove07 (03-06-2013), Mr Cooke's Crew (03-07-2013), RLW (03-06-2013), upthesaukee (03-06-2013), Waterbaby (05-20-2013), Winnisquamguy (03-06-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #6
Legionnaire70

Very nice, that's great news.

Thank you for sharing. Can't wait to give them a try, haven't eaten there in years!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Mirror Lake's BB

Has anyone been to eat there yet? Has the menu changed much etc.?
Their website is under construction.
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
Greene's Basin Girl

We went to Sandy Point on Mother's Day. There was good and bad. The chicken fingers and scallops were quite good. We also ordered a large portion of whole belly clams. It turned out to be a very small portion and the clams looked like the clam strips my husband was eating. We spoke to the server. She assured us that they were whole belly clams and that the owners were getting use to serving the food at Sandy Point as opposed to the the diner they owned before. I don't know what that had to do with anything. I have been to plenty of diners that served great clams. She did not offer us anything else. We also mentioned it to the hostess on the way out and all she said was " Did you mention this to your server?" I assured her that we had

We drove all the way from Moultonborough. We will not go back. As most of you know there are many other great places for clams in Alton Bay. We will go to Pop's or Shibley's. We go there by boat often and have clams. Today was too chilly for a boat ride to Alton Bay from Greens Basin.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Mirror Lake's BB

Default Sandy Point Website

Here is the link to their website with hours and menu. The menu looks the same except they have added breakfast.

http://www.sandypointrestaurant.com/

Can't wait to hear reviews from regulars before we go (portion size, pricing, service etc.)
Old 05-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Lake's BB View Post
Here is the link to their website with hours and menu. The menu looks the same except they have added breakfast.
Sandy Point has been offering breakfasts for a number of years.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
RLW

Smile Menu looks OK BUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Lake's BB View Post

http://www.sandypointrestaurant.com/

Can't wait to hear reviews from regulars before we go (portion size, pricing, service etc.)

Menu looks good, but are they ashame of the prices as they do not list any on the standard priced items. I can understand the fish/lobster, but all the rest????????
Old 05-20-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
LakeSnake

Default Not the same

Went for Mothers day. The ladies both had the 1 1/4 baked stuffed lobster which was reported to be good. Although it was noted that the stuffing was not quite as pleantyfull or good as before. I had the Pecan Crusted Chicken and my son the Chicken Parm both of which were over cooked and dry. Not very impressed with that. As for the service it a little disorganized which can be expected with a new opening.

We went back to the bar Saturday night and ate at the bar. I had the Prime Rib MW for which I was served the end cut and promptly sent it back - no paying $28.00 for end cut - sorry - the new rib was brought out in good fashion and was a little rare but was good. The other half got the backed haddock and scallopls combo which used to be her favorite - there was quite a bit of confusion from the staff as to what she was ordering how it would be prepared. I was surprised by this as it was an old menu item. She was not impressed with end result and said she would not order it again. My son had a burger ordered med well - came out med rare - he did not even eat it. Bar staff not very well organized and still getting used to the new set up - not that it is that much different. They spent most of thier time with their backs to the customers discussing the new computer system for managing the service bar and checks.
The bill was $112.00 for the Prime Rib, Backed Haddock, Burger and two drinks a piece. Wifes wine was $10 a very small glass.
As we were leaving noted that the bar tender - who is familiar with us -was more concerned with looking to see if I had signed the merchant copy of the bill instead of thanking us and wishing us well.

This was an old favorite that we frequented quite a few times over the summer in previous years. Unfortunately we all concluded that we won't be in much of hurry to return.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
Liquorish

Decided to give Sandy Point a try Saturday night, as it has been one of out favorites for years. We know they are under new ownership and we had read the reviews posted so far, we needed to find out for ourselves if it is up to par. Ordered steamers, which were very good, clam chowder, which also was very good, unfortunately that was about all that was very good..3 of us ordered the 1 1/4 king baked stuffed lobsters, they all seemed smaller than in the past ( not stuffed as full as previously) and were overcooked, and dry, our daughter had the eggplant parm, which she said was just ok, we also had a surf & turf, prime rib & scallops, prime rib was very salty, scallops were bland and had no bread crumbs as in the past..Our waitress, although very pleasant was not very attentive. The table next to us was having issues with their baked stuffed lobsters as well.
So to sum it up, we wanted to enjoy SP, but unfortunately didn't, I felt it was important to post, hoping they can improve as I know they are still very new, we will wait till later in the summer to make a decision as to whether or not we will return. Hope they can improve.
Liquorish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #14
Legionnaire70

Good to hear some reviews. Sounds like they are still working out the kinks a little bit..
Have to give it some more time and give it a try.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
Mirror Lake's BB

Default To be fair,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSnake View Post
Went for Mothers day. The ladies both had the 1 1/4 baked stuffed lobster which was reported to be good. Although it was noted that the stuffing was not quite as pleantyfull or good as before. I had the Pecan Crusted Chicken and my son the Chicken Parm both of which were over cooked and dry. Not very impressed with that. As for the service it a little disorganized which can be expected with a new opening.

We went back to the bar Saturday night and ate at the bar. I had the Prime Rib MW for which I was served the end cut and promptly sent it back - no paying $28.00 for end cut - sorry - the new rib was brought out in good fashion and was a little rare but was good. The other half got the backed haddock and scallopls combo which used to be her favorite - there was quite a bit of confusion from the staff as to what she was ordering how it would be prepared. I was surprised by this as it was an old menu item. She was not impressed with end result and said she would not order it again. My son had a burger ordered med well - came out med rare - he did not even eat it. Bar staff not very well organized and still getting used to the new set up - not that it is that much different. They spent most of thier time with their backs to the customers discussing the new computer system for managing the service bar and checks.
The bill was $112.00 for the Prime Rib, Backed Haddock, Burger and two drinks a piece. Wifes wine was $10 a very small glass.
As we were leaving noted that the bar tender - who is familiar with us -was more concerned with looking to see if I had signed the merchant copy of the bill instead of thanking us and wishing us well.

This was an old favorite that we frequented quite a few times over the summer in previous years. Unfortunately we all concluded that we won't be in much of hurry to return.
We called Sandy Point and were told that a glass of house wine is $5.50 which we consider reasonable (maybe not reasonable in our book but on par) but would have to see what a "very small glass" is.

To hear that you have been a frequent customer in the past and was not impressed may hold us back for now; kind of like The Wolfeboro Inn which has changed a bit since the new ownership a few years back. We have never ordered the prime rib but have noticed that it is massive. Wondering if the cut got smaller. Voiced concerns about the fried clams and the stuffed lobster in this thread raises a flag with us.

Thanks for all your posts and will continue watching closely.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #16
Diver Vince

When a restaurant prices their product for excellence, they have to consistently deliver. Unfortunately some establishments don't understand this simple principle. If a restaurant can't do this, than lower your prices. They must supply value for the dollar.
From what I'm reading I don't see this. We've visited SP several times in the last year before the change in ownership and between the two of us have spent approximately $100 on each occasion for our meal . Not anxious to return until I see much better reviews.
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:37 AM   #17
Kimber

Default Give them a chance

Just a bit of advice from a friend who is a Chef... never go to a new restaurant or under new owner ship for at least a month. Let the non regulars help them get the kinks out.
Kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #18
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Vince View Post
When a restaurant prices their product for excellence, they have to consistently deliver. Unfortunately some establishments don't understand this simple principle. If a restaurant can't do this, than lower your prices. They must supply value for the dollar.
From what I'm reading I don't see this. We've visited SP several times in the last year before the change in ownership and between the two of us have spent approximately $100 on each occasion for our meal . Not anxious to return until I see much better reviews.
Im reluctant to try sandy point again until at least july-august hopefully they will have the kinks worked out by then. used to be my favorite dining place In alton bay

Old 05-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #19
phoenix

We always go as a group by boat in mid August and all eat the large baked stuff lobster so,we spend a lot and won't want to be disappointed so hopefully the reviews improve by then
Old 06-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #20
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
Im reluctant to try sandy point again until at least july-august hopefully they will have the kinks worked out by then. used to be my favorite dining place In alton bay

well. just tried sandy point for the first and LAST time only have a one word report (pitifull )

Old 06-15-2013, 04:59 AM   #21
Diver Vince

Quote:
well. just tried sandy point for the first and LAST time only have a one word report (pitifull )

Oh my..What a shame! It was one of our favorites
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #22
phoenix

Our group goes every year in august by boat hopefully reviews improve by then
Old 06-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #23
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Our group goes every year in august by boat hopefully reviews improve by then
I'll voice a positive opinion for Sandy Point...

I went in there on Saturday with five buddies in the mid afternoon as we were on our bikes all day. One burger, one boiled lobster, two lobster rolls, two 1.25 kind stuffed lobsters, and bacon wrapped scallops... No complaints at all. The bill with tax and tip was a little over $200 and feel it was worth what we paid. Would (and plan to) definitely go back.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #24
Legionnaire70

I just read 10+ reviews on trip advisor, only one out of those reviews were positive. Doesn't look like customer service and food quality is ranking very good... I was going to give it a try but having second thoughts now..
Old 06-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #25
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire70 View Post
I just read 10+ reviews on trip advisor, only one out of those reviews were positive. Doesn't look like customer service and food quality is ranking very good... I was going to give it a try but having second thoughts now..
People only go out of their way to voice NEGATIVE opinions most of the time. I'm not too savvy with trip adviser because I could careless about reviews sometimes, but if you can look at the posters' history see if they've ever voiced positive reviews for establishments.

Just because a place gets bad reviews doesn't mean it's bad. Every restaurant is bound to make a mistake or two serving several hundred tables a day (that's a guess, not sure how much). My point is directed at all of the negative reviews, not just Sandy Point. However, as I stated above, I had a good late lunch there last week...and that's coming from someone who doesn't even care for seafood much. Just my $.02
Old 06-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #26
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
People only go out of their way to voice NEGATIVE opinions most of the time. I'm not too savvy with trip adviser because I could careless about reviews sometimes, but if you can look at the posters' history see if they've ever voiced positive reviews for establishments.

Just because a place gets bad reviews doesn't mean it's bad. Every restaurant is bound to make a mistake or two serving several hundred tables a day (that's a guess, not sure how much). My point is directed at all of the negative reviews, not just Sandy Point. However, as I stated above, I had a good late lunch there last week...and that's coming from someone who doesn't even care for seafood much. Just my $.02
The reviews on this site tend to be a good indicator of quality and service. Yes, there are outliers but by following overall trends a reader can form a good opinion of what to expect. Village Kitchen for example almost always has positive reviews indicating excellent value. Sandy point at the moment seems to be having its problems indicating poor value. Performance can also change; The Wolfeboro Inn had terrible reviews for quite some time and then changes were made by management and the reviews are almost always excellent.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #27
phoenix

I concur I use trip advisor ( and post frequently) and yes there are outliers when someone bashes a place but if you look at all reviews you get a good picture. As a traveler( and many travelers) I give an honest assessment and hope others do also. Also owners do review their establishments and often post replies both to negative and positive
Legionnaire70 (06-26-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #28
fpartri497

Default sandy point remodel

I do not read any other reviews of restaurants, but I can tell you 1st hand that sandy point has serious staff problems and the food is awful. I do not make a habit of bashing businesses but this place Is terrible and we will not go back.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #29
Shreddy

I can relate...there was certainly no chance I was going to The Woodshed under former management knowing the problems they were having. My trip to Sandy Point recently was unplanned. The party I was with made a last minute decision. I couldn't tell you the last time I even went to that restaurant. I had no idea regarding reviews or ownership change (likely because I didn't care much because I'm hardly ever at that side of the lake). Maybe I got lucky, but we did have good service and quality food. There wasn't a complaint in my party.

With that said, if it's as bad as people are making it out to be I hope it changes and people get to experience what we got for service and food.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #30
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
I do not read any other reviews of restaurants, but I can tell you 1st hand that sandy point has serious staff problems and the food is awful. I do not make a habit of bashing businesses but this place Is terrible and we will not go back.

That is too bad- we have only been once (last summer) and I recall it being pretty good.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #31
Legionnaire70

I use trip advisor all the time for feedback, from hotels to restaurants to other attractions and the reviews for the most part have been spot on. A few weeks ago I went to CJ Averys on a whim and didn't check it out first... Wish I had! We would have never gone, the reviews were correct, lousy service, dirty and poor food quality. We dropped well over $125.00 and could have had a better meal at Mc Donald's... Yes some reviews maybe stretch the truth a bit however it is a good guide and you can see patterns of good and bad, as sandy point started off in May spiraling downward real fast.
Lets hope they read the reviews and make some changes.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #32
AltonCAM

Default Sometimes you have to give things a little time.

My NH summer is over and it is time to head back to Minnesota, but I had time to dine at Sandy Point one more time. It was great, King Cut Roast Beef done to perfection and the service was wonderful. Last week the wife and I had Salmon and Swordfish both were prepared excellently. The wife remarked her salmon was better than Legal Seafood's. I am happy to say the new owners have worked hard to make the resturant a sucess and while they struggled at first as any new owner would they have in my opinion stepped it up a notch. I hope everyone gives them an opportunity to have an excellent meal and that way we can continue to have a great resturant in Alton Bay. Thanks to the Sandy Point Crew for a great summer and great dinning.
P.S. I have been going to Sandy point for 51 years since my parents first took the family to vacation on the lake in 1962.
AltonCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #33
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
That is too bad- we have only been once (last summer) and I recall it being pretty good.
yes under the previous ownership it was the best fine dining on the lake in my opinion.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #34
nj2nh

We were there in August 2013. The food was okay. The service was okay. The prices were ridiculous. I have been going to Sandy Point for years. Probably will not be going back. I believe in getting what you pay for, but did not get anything close to what we paid for. Four people, two were teenagers who got burgers and chicken strips. Over $100. And we drank nothing but water or Coke. Rip-off.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #35
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Sandy Point fine dining?

I guess my standard is a bit high. Sandy Point always been mediocre like Hart's Turkey Farm. The standard bearer for food in the area has always been Patrick's in my eye. You are either above or below. Before Patrick's it was B Mae Denny. To each his or her own.
mbhoward (02-26-2014), trfour (02-26-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #36
Legionnaire70

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I guess my standard is a bit high. Sandy Point always been mediocre like Hart's Turkey Farm. The standard bearer for food in the area has always been Patrick's in my eye. You are either above or below. Before Patrick's it was B Mae Denny. To each his or her own.
Wow! hit the nail right on the head! I feel the same way.

plus, I use to be a cook @ B-mae's, Boy do I miss the food and good times there!
Old 02-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #37
Bumble2249

Really? The standard for food in the area? That's setting the level of quality and customer experience at the lower level if you ask me. If you want to have an experience such as Patricks, you can go yo any of the common man locations or the 99 for that matter. There are many more creative and enjoyable establishments to dine and drink in the lakes region than Patricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #38
RLW

Smile

Bumble2249, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Bumble2249 (02-27-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #39
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble2249 View Post
Really? The standard for food in the area? That's setting the level of quality and customer experience at the lower level if you ask me. If you want to have an experience such as Patricks, you can go yo any of the common man locations or the 99 for that matter. There are many more creative and enjoyable establishments to dine and drink in the lakes region than Patricks.

Proving that dining out is a very personal, subjective, experience.

Many of my favorite places have been panned on this site, as well as praised. In the end, a restaurant is as successful as the patrons who will help keep it viable. And in this area, this means it needs to figure out how to do that in more than July and August.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-01-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #40
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Patrick's Pub in Par with Applebees and 99?

Opened in 1987 by Walter Kelleher and named after his father from County Cork, Ireland, Patrick’s was an instant hit in the Lakes Region. Seven years later, Patrick’s was sold to brothers Jeff & Allan in 1994, instilling a new spirit of quality, enthusiasm and service and has now been in operation for a total of 26 years. Since that time, Patrick’s has established itself as a quality restaurant that gives back to their community. They have been recognized with several prestigious awards including Restaurant of the Year (New Hampshire Lodging & Restaurant Association), New Hampshire Good Neighbor Award (National Restaurant Association), the Corporate Soul Award (Belknap County EDC) and most recently the Beetle family received the Irwin Award, recognizing their community leadership.
Alan Beetle has been nominated as on of 54 most influential businessman listed in January 2014 Business NH publication.

Not bad for a 'mediocre' establishment.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #41
Bumble2249

Default Sandy Point remodel?

Not really interested in the awards that a restaurant may win for its involvement in the community etc. I'm interested in dining at an establishment however that serves delicious and creative food and drink. A place that will differentiate from the typical "pub" menu.

Thanks for the history lesson on Patricks though...

KPW (03-24-2014)