Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
joj129

Smile Owl's Nest/Wise Owl, Alton, NH

We recently stopped in for a Saturday buffet/brunch at the Owl's Nest, Rte. 11, Alton, NH and it was amazing! The food was delicious with many made to order items. The omelet is huge and enough for 2! The restaurant was very clean and the staff was very friendly. There are also cabins which we checked out and they were updated, cute and also very clean. The buffet and cabins are very reasonably priced. We will go back for the buffet next time we are in town and plan to stay in the cabins on our next get-away! (1736 Mount Major Highway)
joj129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joj129 View Post
We recently stopped in for a Saturday buffet/brunch at the Owl's Nest, Rte. 11, Alton, NH and it was amazing! The food was delicious with many made to order items. The omelet is huge and enough for 2! The restaurant was very clean and the staff was very friendly. There are also cabins which we checked out and they were updated, cute and also very clean. The buffet and cabins are very reasonably priced. We will go back for the buffet next time we are in town and plan to stay in the cabins on our next get-away! (1736 Mount Major Highway)
Used to be one of my favorite stops by boat. Great sandwiches!! Unfortunately the docks have been condemned and can no longer be used. There is also some kind of issue with an abutting neighbor and that is why the docks have not been repaired...

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

The dock and the small open shorefront area are owned by the Town. Per a court settlement, Owl's Nest retains a right of way for customer access provided that the Owl's Nest maintains the dock in a safe condition.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
gravy boat

Default Owl's Nest

From what I hear second hand, the issue with the docks is a dispute with a neighboor to the east side of the property. I believe he claims the dock and beach are his and that the Nest and it's patrons have no rights to use them. The Nest will not repair what may be determined to belong to another party -- who I've heard has been unpleasant and quite rude. But again, this is second hand.

If the dock/beach never belonged to the Owl's Nest then why would patrons have been allowed to use the dock and beach for many years? Would the past use have any bearing on the future use in the eyes of the Town?

And I have also heard the food is great and the buffet is the best deal around...just haven't had a chance to try it out...but will!

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (07-16-2010)
Old 07-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Mr. V

Wink

I suggest the owners of the Nest hire that "certain attorney" who lives nearby, you know, the infamous land use attorney that posters like to hate, the guy with a home adjacent to Ames Farm, and settle this thing, pronto.

Lawyers: you hate em when you don't need em, but hire em when you do.

Works for me.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. V For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (08-05-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
JacksonB

Default Owl's Nest

Stopped by for lobster rolls on Saturday - lots of lobster for 9.99. Went back on Sunday for seconds.
JacksonB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JacksonB For This Useful Post:
joj129 (07-19-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
joj129

Seriously, I think a couple of you have missed the point of this forum. I put the original posting up because I love the Owl's Nest food and hospitality. I looked at the cabins and found them to be clean and adorable. We will stay there next time we have a vacation. As far as the dock goes, the neighbor who maliciously pulled the dock out obviously has never heard the saying what goes around comes around. Bad karma is not something I want to mess with. The King's are very nice people who have done an amazing job with the property. It looks so much nicer than in the past with extensive cabin renovations and ongoing changes to landscaping. If you'd like to find out the legalities of what has gone on, I suggest you stop in to use the store, have brunch on Sunday OR have a lobster roll (which Jackson B so nicely told us about) and chat with Mike King. You will not find a nicer man.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 AM   #8
Rose

Default Jane's great, too

I haven't met Mike, but I know Jane from the office down at Ames Farm Inn. One of the nicest people I've ever met. She was recently featured in an article in the Citizen.

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...TY02/707029978
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rose For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (07-20-2010)
Old 07-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
Mr. V

I will visit the Owl frequently in a couple weeks when I am back at the Lake.

It is great to see someone putting some money and effort into it, as for quite awhile it seems to have been in somewhat of a decline.

The idea of a buffet amazes me: who knew?

But I believe my suggestion of hiring an attorney and deciding the dock access issue once and for all is a good one.

They obviously won't be able to settle it privately: either give up or go to court.

That's just the way it works.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
Lucky1

It was a very nice article. Nice to see that you are OK as I had not seen posts here from you since early June. PM me if you get a chance.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
SmithPointer

Default Wise Owl

Long time reader, first time poster ...

I've been going to the Wise Owl by boat since the late 1960s and my kids love going to breakfast there. I've been hearing conflicting stories from the rumor mill ... so I did some research:

I found the court settlement agreement that Slickcraft mentions in the Belknap County Registry of Deeds at Book 2571 Page 0700 (www.nhdeeds.com). The 2006 settlement agreement lists a bunch of rules and regulations that Wise Owl ownership apparently agreed to - the same rules and regulations listed on the signs at the end of the dock and on the beach area. In this agreement, Wise Owl ownership apparently conceded that Alton owned the small beach area and the dock.

There is a SECOND court settlement agreement in the Belknap County Registry of Deeds at Book 2651 Page 0306. This settlement agreement was approved and ordered by the court in April 2010 (looks like they took Mr. V's advice). Wise Owl ownership agreed to stop all commercial use to boaters coming off of the lake to access the store and/or restaurant! According to the agreement, Wise Owl ownership was supposed to purchase the beach and dock from the Town of Alton. (I was unable to find a deed from Alton to Wise Owl). I am not an attorney, but my interpretation is that no one is supposed to be able to access the store or restaurant from the dock or beach.

joj129 - "... pulled the dock out"? As of earlier today, the dock (with its "Police Line Do Not Cross" tape, "No Trespassing" signs, and covered over "Wise Owl" sign) was still in existence. Are we talking about the same dock?

BTW - for those looking for boat accessible breakfast locations - I've heard that Ames Farm is another great option (about a mile towards Laconia, ample safe docking, great food, and reasonable prices) ... haven't tried it yet, but hope to soon.
SmithPointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithPointer View Post
Long time reader, first time poster ...

I've been going to the Wise Owl by boat since the late 1960s and my kids love going to breakfast there. I've been hearing conflicting stories from the rumor mill ... so I did some research:

I found the court settlement agreement that Slickcraft mentions in the Belknap County Registry of Deeds at Book 2571 Page 0700 (www.nhdeeds.com). The 2006 settlement agreement lists a bunch of rules and regulations that Wise Owl ownership apparently agreed to - the same rules and regulations listed on the signs at the end of the dock and on the beach area. In this agreement, Wise Owl ownership apparently conceded that Alton owned the small beach area and the dock.

There is a SECOND court settlement agreement in the Belknap County Registry of Deeds at Book 2651 Page 0306. This settlement agreement was approved and ordered by the court in April 2010 (looks like they took Mr. V's advice). Wise Owl ownership agreed to stop all commercial use to boaters coming off of the lake to access the store and/or restaurant! According to the agreement, Wise Owl ownership was supposed to purchase the beach and dock from the Town of Alton. (I was unable to find a deed from Alton to Wise Owl). I am not an attorney, but my interpretation is that no one is supposed to be able to access the store or restaurant from the dock or beach.

joj129 - "... pulled the dock out"? As of earlier today, the dock (with its "Police Line Do Not Cross" tape, "No Trespassing" signs, and covered over "Wise Owl" sign) was still in existence. Are we talking about the same dock?

BTW - for those looking for boat accessible breakfast locations - I've heard that Ames Farm is another great option (about a mile towards Laconia, ample safe docking, great food, and reasonable prices) ... haven't tried it yet, but hope to soon.
Thanks for the info!

The Wise Owl told me when I called from my boat that I could beach my boat and go to the store / restaurant, but could not use the docks because they were condemned by the town.

Interesting...

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Thanks for the info!

The Wise Owl told me when I called from my boat that I could beach my boat and go to the store / restaurant, but could not use the docks because they were condemned by the town.

Interesting...

Dan
Hmmm ... Not that I would advocate scofflaw behavior, BUT ...

If the dock is intact but merely condemned: what consequence if a boater ties up to it and uses it?

You'd think it would take awhile for "the authorities" to respond, and by that time the boater would be gone.

I'm just sayin' ...
Old 07-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #14
BackBay

Quote:
Seriously, I think a couple of you have missed the point of this forum. I put the original posting up because I love the Owl's Nest food and hospitality. I looked at the cabins and found them to be clean and adorable. We will stay there next time we have a vacation. As far as the dock goes, the neighbor who maliciously pulled the dock out obviously has never heard the saying what goes around comes around. Bad karma is not something I want to mess with. The King's are very nice people who have done an amazing job with the property. It looks so much nicer than in the past with extensive cabin renovations and ongoing changes to landscaping. If you'd like to find out the legalities of what has gone on, I suggest you stop in to use the store, have brunch on Sunday OR have a lobster roll (which Jackson B so nicely told us about) and chat with Mike King. You will not find a nicer man.
I was out on the boat the other day and I saw Winni Constuction and town employees taking down the dock so I figured I'd check things out. Having been in such bad shape for the past couple of years, I really just assumed it was being replaced! Well, it seems I've been missing out on some things! Because of the obvious growing animosity in these posts, I re-read everything really carefully. Most recently, JOJ129, I wonder about the post above because you posted it before I personally watched the dock coming down. That immediately made me question the validity of your comments...

Your first post - the one that started out this thread - almost seems like an ad - like something the owner of a business might post. I'm just sayin'... And your comments about the "malicious" act of the neighbor?
  • First of all, I watched the whole thing, and it seemed to me that the town was the one involved.
  • Also, in your initial post, you said you were visiting the area; do you actually know this "malicious" neighbor?
  • And, being from out of town, how is it that you know the dock came down? (and before it actually DID come down, at that!)
As an aside, this posting also sounds like an ad - like something the owner of a business might post. I'm just sayin'... (again)
Regardless, your comment "what goes around comes around" sounds almost threatening. Winni.com has rules about that.

I don't know about anyone else, but with such animosity on the thread, if I want more info on the legalities, I think I'll go to the courthouse or the cops rather than speak with Mike King. I'm kind of questioning his objectivity at this point. And afterall, it's summertime, and I can't get there by boat.
BackBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #15
WinniGirl81

Default Let's settle this...

First off, I’m here to set this straight. Joj129 is NOT the owner. How do I know this you ask? I’m the daughter of the owner that’s how. I will not get into the legality of the dock, because I’m too far removed from the situation to comment. I believe what Joj129 was trying to say that the neighbor tied his boat to the dock for an extended period of time, WHICH in turn pulled the dock out of alignment. This is what caused the dock to be “condemned”. Up until this neighbor purchased the adjacent property, the Wise Owl (or Owl’s Nest) always maintained the dock and beach in order to preserve the docks safety for its patrons. I know once the land became a question of ownership the Wise Owl was not liable to maintain the area. That was the town’s responsibility and the reason why the dock was never repaired. Yes, BackBay, you're correct. The town was the one involved in taking down the dock. The reason why the town is involved is due to the neighbors constant eye on our property. I believe this was the towns idea of a resolution in order to keep the neighbor at bay. A resolution that most likely won't fair well for the town.

Secondly, I do not believe Joj129 was trying to make a threat. Karma is only a belief. If that comment was malicious in any way or offended anyone I personally apologize. Why don’t we re-phrase the comment for those acting Christians, “Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.” Luke 6:38 God does not make threats!

My family is a wonderful family. We’ve never done ill towards any of our neighbors and in fact gained many great friends within this small West Alton community since taking ownership. The "malicious" acts of asperity that our surrounding neighbors have inflicted upon us is completely unwarranted. The problem lies with greed. It pains me to see that such a beautiful place, such as Lake Winnipesaukee, be tainted by strong negative energy. To watch our neighbors attempt to destroy my family and its livelihood sends rage throughout my soul. BACKBAY, my father & brother have worked extremely hard at building this business up from the depths it once laid in. If your blood, sweat and tears were invested into a place that your neighbors were trying to destroy… your objectives, I would think, would not be questionable but justified. Instead of running around trying to get the "story" from all invested parties, I suggest you sit tight and wait until this dispute is settled.

In the end, good will prevail. That’s not a threat, but rather a promise! My family is good and will come out of this situation a stronger unit than when we started this very long journey.

To those on this thread that posted positive comments, including JOJ129, I greatly appreciate your thoughts. That's exactly what this forum is for. Food and service are extremely important to us and we ask our customers daily for their feedback and recommendations. It’s important to us to serve you the best, whether you're joining us in the Country Store or Restaurant or just by making your stay in our cottages more enjoyable! We receive a lot of positive feedback, which makes this whole ordeal worth it! I hope that you will all continue to join us at the Wise Owl. We’re here to stay!
WinniGirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to WinniGirl81 For This Useful Post:
bearmaine (07-12-2012), idoso (07-18-2014), ishoot308 (07-26-2010), Just Sold (07-26-2010), Rattlesnake Guy (07-26-2010), riverat (07-26-2010), SIKSUKR (07-26-2010), Sunbeam lodge (08-30-2012), Tallyho (08-04-2010), Waterbaby (07-26-2010)
Old 07-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #16
RailroadJoe

I wish you had put a fence up to prevent the neighbors from even trying to use the dock. Too many times I see people being idiots and trying to get something for nothing. Hope the town (not too likely) realizes that you own the dock and will return it to the you. Like you said greed it getting worse, and so is envy.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #17
Waterbaby

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinniGirl81 View Post
I hope that you will all continue to join us at the Wise Owl. We’re here to stay!
My family and I, for three, will certainly join you there! Although we do not get up to the Lake nearly as often as we wish these days, due to teenage schedules , we will certainly stop in. We wish you well and continued success!

Also, is there any way the menu could be posted? That way we can call ahead for pick up, as we had done in years past!

Thank you!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #18
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinniGirl81 View Post
In the end, good will prevail. That’s not a threat, but rather a promise! My family is good and will come out of this situation a stronger unit than when we started this very long journey.
Self-righteousness is not a bad thing, but you really should hire an attorney to straighten this unfortunate mess out.

Who knows, it could lead to a *shudder* compromise.

It might be nice if the seemingly nefarious neighbor weighed in with his/her point of view on the subject, just in the interests of fairness and balance.

But whatever, it is too bad the dock is gone, I've used it before and its loss cannot be helping business.

A shame, really.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #19
WinniGirl81

@RailroadJoe: We wish we did a lot of things, unfortunately a fence doesn't always keep the vermin out! There's obviously an agenda behind all this. I just hope it comes to a favorable resolution soon! We are simply astonished by this whole ordeal and would like to get back to building our business peacefully again.

@Waterbaby: We look forward to seeing you and your family and thank you for your continued patronage. Once I figure out how to get my menu file sized in a manner small enough to upload I will do so for you. The newly designed take out menu shows only our lunch, however, we have many new add-on's to the breakfast menu that I highly recommend you try. Just so you know we're running a Lobster Roll special for $9.99! It's a steal... and delicious!

We've also recently launched our Facebook page. Check us out at Northern Woods: Wise Owl Country Store, Restaurant & Cottages. The full menu will be up shortly.

And YES, that was just an plug by the owner's daughter! I hear social networking is the new black!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinniGirl81 For This Useful Post:
joj129 (07-26-2010), Waterbaby (07-27-2010)
Old 07-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #20
BackBay

Default Down, girl!

@WinniGirl81

My family has enjoyed frequenting The Wise Owl for many generations; this is why the activity of the dock coming down caught my eye. I certainly did not know my comments would be met with such hostility; that was not my intention. I was simply reading, connecting the dots, and asking some questions (which haven't been answered yet - we'd love to hear from you JOJ129!) What have I gotten myself into, here? I'm really not all that invested in this thing - but I guess I'll bite -

"I believe what Joj129 was trying to say that the neighbor tied his boat to the dock for an extended period of time, WHICH in turn pulled the dock out of alignment."
  • I see nothing in this post - or any previous post - that refers in any way to this point; the neighbor's boat? - I don't know anything about that -
  • If a boat is tied up to a dock - a dock that has withstood YEARS of use - how could that boat possibly pull that dock out of alignment? Isn't that what docks are for? For tying up?
  • If JOJ129 is from out of town, how does s/he know about this "extended period of time", as you suggest?
"The reason why the town is involved (in the removal of the dock) is due to the neighbors constant eye on our property."
  • In my experience, the town does not involve itself in he said/she said matters (or he saw/she saw matters) - I believe they have more important issues to attend to. If the town is involved, there must be a legitimate reason.
  • The town does not have the right to simply pull a dock to solve a neighborly dispute. If your family's business had legal rights to that dock, you should be raising holy hell with the town!
  • Perhaps the reason the town is involved is because the dock was on town property (That's what the sign said, anyway - Who knew?)
"God does not make threats!"
  • You have presented a flawed argument of deduction, and you have brought religion into an argument of logic. Religion is anything but logical.
  • I am not an acting Christian, but a practicing Christian, and I present this example: "So this is what the LORD Almighty says about them: 'I will punish them! Their young men will die in battle, and their little boys and girls will starve. Not one of these plotters from Anathoth will survive, for I will bring disaster upon them when their time of punishment comes.'" Jeremiah 11:22-23 (This sounds threatening to me.)
  • And, of course, there's the entire book of Deuteronomy.
  • Now let's move on from the religious tone, shall we?
"The "malicious" acts of asperity that our surrounding neighbors have inflicted upon us is completely unwarranted. The problem lies with greed."
  • I had to look up "asperity" -
  • You refer repeatedly (throughout your post) to neighbors, plural, but you seem to direct your anger towards just one.
  • Greed is absolutely abhorable, but from reading these posts, this issue seems to be of a legal nature, not a moral one.
  • Just wondering ... Why did your neighbor have caution tape all over their dock? and what are those big posts across the beach for?
"Instead of running around trying to get the "story" from all invested parties, I suggest you sit tight and wait until this dispute is settled."
  • I made no such plans - I actually said just the opposite. Rather than speaking to the invested (non-objective) parties, I said that I'd "go to the courthouse or the cops" Your anger simply reinforces my opinion.
And finally ... "Joj129 is NOT the owner."
  • Looking at the posts, logic would suggest the opposite. I apologize.
  • Your final paragraph is very similar to the writing of JOJ129. The scattered exclamation points are very telling, as are the word choices and overall tone.
  • Oops! I apologize for making that connection, too.
I, too, appreciate the positive comments on the thread. I did not realize my comments were negative - I was simply questioning, interpreting, and commenting on what I read in an objective and logical manner. Perhaps logic offends you? I do apologize - I had no frame of reference, no back-story. No worries, though... you've made everything very clear for me, now.

Regardless, I won't be posting again; hostility can be infectious, and I'd hate to catch it (and I certainly wouldn't want to be tempted to break any winni.com rules!) Plus, after "meeting" the daughter of the owner, I doubt that I'll be stopping by the Wise Owl again ... you know, that store that my family has frequented for many generations? Yep - that one.

It's ok, though - afterall, it's summertime, and I can't get there by boat.
The Following User Says Thank You to BackBay For This Useful Post:
Heaven (08-07-2010)
Old 07-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #21
BackBay

One more point:

"My family is a wonderful family."
  • My family's pretty great, too!
  • We own several businesses,
  • and we even play nice with our neighbors!
    (even the ones we don't like very much...)
Old 07-27-2010, 12:23 AM   #22
Lajonn57

Exclamation Re: Wise Owl Dock & Beach Litigation

Good evening (morning),
My name is Mike King III (although everyone refers to me as Mike Jr.). I purchased the Wise Owl property in November of 2005 and have been intimately involved in the growth and revitalization of the property hitherto. My father Mike King Jr. (the elder King whom everyone refers to as Sr.) has worked with my mother and sister specifically in growing and running the restaurant and country store portion of the business. I heard that there was a lot of rumbling going on within this forum regarding the whole beach and dock situation and, given what I see transpiring, I will be posting all the facts about the subject property and the ongoing litigation within the next couple of days (no emotional outbursts or vindictive statements, just the facts); after that you are all free to assess and form your own opinions.
Because the situation has yet to see formal resolution and, given the fact that there's still ongoing litigation in the area involving us, the neighbor and the Town of Alton, I am still consulting with my attorney about next steps. Hopefully this can be resolved without further litigation. I'm sure we'll be talking to a local newspaper or two before all is said and done as well as we've received a surfeit of questions and inquiries for the past year or so. I was trying not to make waves in the media while the litigation was at its apogee but, in light of what transpired a few days ago with the dock being dismantled in violation of a court-ordered settlement between the three parties denoted above, I think that any interested parties deserve to hear what has been happening. Normally, I would take the time to do it now, but it's late and the paper-trail is a mile long (afterall, the tumult has been ongoing in that area for many years). Hopefully the facts will give you a much clearer picture of what is going on. I remain optimistic that the situation will come to a peaceful end soon and everyone can resume enjoying that area as they did for the preceding decades.
Also, please don't mistake my family's emotion for unwarranted hostility; the last few years (pertaining to the property issues) have been rather intense and it certainly takes its toll after a while. Fortunately, the lodging, restaurant and store operations remain strong and continue to improve daily, even as the legal stuff continues to play out in the back-drop (that wasn't an advertisement, it's the truth). During the decade which I spent in the financial industry before purchasing this property, the "kaizen" or "constant improvement" mantra was deeply embedded into my head at the firm and it is this mindset which my family and I continue to institute within this business and on the property to this very day. We did not get involved in this venture for a quick flip and profit, rather we have always sought to bring the Wise Owl back to its original 1940's glory and grow in synchrony with the surrounding community that is Lake Winnipesaukee.
In the meantime, please free to email me on the forum here with any questions or comments.

Regards,

-Mike

Last edited by Lajonn57; 04-19-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Lajonn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lajonn57 For This Useful Post:
BackBay (07-27-2010), Heaven (08-07-2010), Just Sold (07-27-2010), Waterbaby (07-27-2010)
Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #23
Waterbaby

Thank you, Mike - It's always nice to see an owner come onto a thread, clarify things, and make himself accessible to people who have questions about certain issues.

Now, everyone, can we get this thread back on the track begun by joj129 - the business itself and it's food? This is, after all, the restaurant forum! Believe me, as a long-time member of winni.com I realize threads can go wayyyyy off the beaten track, I'm guilty of contributing to that myself upon occasion, but let's talk about the food! I'll be sure to give my input once I get there (if plans work out) next week..............

Have a happy day!
BackBay (07-27-2010), joj129 (07-28-2010), Lajonn57 (07-27-2010)
Old 07-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #24
BackBay

Mike Jr,
You handle yourself very well. Thank you for your post and your professional demeanor. I have appreciated the improvements you have made with the business. Good job, and good luck. I am impressed.
The Following User Says Thank You to BackBay For This Useful Post:
Lajonn57 (07-27-2010)
Old 07-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #25
joj129

I honestly would like to apologize to everyone that commented on my original post, especially to the owners of the Owl's Nest. I have to say I am very upset about what my post started. Please believe my intentions were good and not meant to cause so much controversy. I would like to remind everyone of my original post which is as follows:

"We recently stopped in for a Saturday buffet/brunch at the Owl's Nest, Rte. 11, Alton, NH and it was amazing! The food was delicious with many made to order items. The omelet is huge and enough for 2! The restaurant was very clean and the staff was very friendly. There are also cabins which we checked out and they were updated, cute and also very clean. The buffet and cabins are very reasonably priced. We will go back for the buffet next time we are in town and plan to stay in the cabins on our next get-away! (1736 Mount Major Highway)"

You are absolutely right Waterbaby we need to get back to what a great place the Owl's Nest is. I am sorry for all of this negativity BUT for some reason, BackBay is obsessed with any and all comments made by me in my first and second posts and would like to hear from me so I am going to make a few comments. I haven't had the time to check this forum daily as he has.

I am not the owner nor do I own a business. In this economy, I am happy I do not own a business. However, I do write ads for a living so thank you BackBay for thinking that was an ad written by a business owner. I take that as a very small compliment coming from you. You might want to hire me to help you write ads for one of your several businesses.

BackBay - I apologize for having commented incorrectly due to gossip I heard in the statement I made in my second post "As far as the dock goes, the neighbor who maliciously pulled the dock out". The dock I saw was crooked but still attached. There was tape around it as well. I would love to have psychic abilities to have known the dock would actually be taken out by the Town approximately 4 days later. If I did have psychic abilities, I would not have posted my second post and I would not have had to listen to your accusations. I do wonder how you could have posted your comment on July 24 "I was out on the boat THE OTHER DAY and I saw Winni Constuction and town employees taking down the dock" when the dock had apparently been taken down on the 23rd. Were you out on your boat thinking that you should sign on to Winni.com to see if anyone had made a comment about the dock? Perhaps you have connections? I'm just trying to "connect the dots". Personally, I don't care but as you previously said "just sayin" - which to me was an insult.

Your words to Winnigirl81:
"I apologize. Your final paragraph is very similar to the writing of JOJ129. The scattered exclamation points are very telling, as are the word choices and overall tone. Oops! I apologize for making that connection, too." I went back to my post and I did not have any exclamation points. I also do not see the connection in word choices or tone. I didn't mean to have a "tone" but I was trying to get back to the issue at hand, the great food, lodging and the convenience of the store at the Owl's Nest. (Sorry if that sounds like an ad..."just sayin".)

My comments about what goes around comes around and karma were not meant as threats. I find it hard to believe there is a person in this world that hasn't heard those sayings or even said them at one time or another, except for you of course BackBay. However, your comment "I don't know about anyone else, but with such animosity on the thread, if I want more info on the legalities, I think I'll go to the courthouse or the cops rather than speak with Mike King. I'm kind of questioning his objectivity at this point." seems more of a threat to me. It's his business, why wouldn't he be objective? Plus, Police Officers do not like to be called "cops", you might want to make note of that.

Finally, I disagree with your comment "I certainly did not know my comments would be met with such hostility; that was not my intention. I was simply reading, connecting the dots, and asking some questions (which haven't been answered yet - we'd love to hear from you JOJ129!) What have I gotten myself into, here? I'm really not all that invested in this thing". I think your comments were setting the tone for animosity. I think you enjoyed the hostility. "Just sayin"

I can appreciate Winnigirl81's attempt at setting everyone straight about her family's business. I think your comment "Plus, after "meeting" the daughter of the owner, I doubt that I'll be stopping by the Wise Owl again ... you know, that store that my family has frequented for many generations? Yep - that one." is ignorant. You didn't "meet" her through her words and I hope everyone on this thread hasn't met you through your words. She seems to have a great sense of family values. I'm sure you would do the same thing since you made it a point to make another post:

"My family's pretty great, too! We own several businesses, and we even play nice with our neighbors! (even the ones we don't like very much...)" - How do you know the owners of the Owl's Nest haven't tried to "play nice" with their neighbors? "Just sayin (again)" - I am now "simply reading, connecting the dots, and asking some questions", again your words.

I have been going to that area on vacations since I was a young girl and as an adult with my family and have stayed at many places along that route to include hotels on Shore Drive, the store at Lake Shore Park and have frequented many of the small "mom and pop" stores along the way. Perhaps I might have stopped into one of your "several businesses".

As for Mike III, it was nice speaking with you and I wish you much success in your business. I hope the dock is put back soon so the people who commented on this thread about having used the dock in the past can use it in the future as well. My family and I will stay at the Owl's Nest for the foliage.

Take care and thank you for your time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joj129 For This Useful Post:
BackBay (07-29-2010), WinniGirl81 (07-29-2010)
Old 07-29-2010, 05:40 AM   #26
RailroadJoe

joj129

Excellent post.
The Following User Says Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
joj129 (07-29-2010)
Old 07-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #27
WinniGirl81

Default This is a positive post...

Yikes! A lot has happened while I was away. Well, I guess Backbay and I have proved one thing for certain.... and that would be reading words that are written rather than spoken can be taken completely out of context. I know for one, I meant no harm in my post. I was merely attempting to keep our customers from feeling uneasy about leaving positive feedback on our business. Backbay, I very much read your post as negative, but was trying very hard not to respond back negatively. I thought I had done so, but you have shown me that was not the case. I apologize that you read it that way. I'm not threaten by logic, however I do feel that facts are more reliable than someone drawing their own conclusions from a typed statement, which is what logic really is. Correct?

So to attempt again not to make anyone feel attacked I'm going to leave simple facts and then I'm done responding to this post.

Fact #1: The boat that was tied to the dock was tied without any slack, so during rough waters (as we all know the lake can get) the boat was pulling at the dock until it became unstable. Had the boat not been tied, so tightly, yes the dock most likely would've been fine. This dock has never been used for overnight stays... only quick in and outs from the restaurant and store, so this was never a concern on our end.

Fact#2: Just because someone is not from the area does not mean they don't vacation here frequently during the summer time. We have a lot of regular vacationers that stop in on the weekends and asked for a dock update. I guess that would be a way for someone who's not a local to know so much about this situation. I believe joj129 says she's been coming up since she was a child... so that would make sense logically and factually.

Fact#3: Do you live in the Town of Alton? Or any town for that matter. The Town is doing exactly what you think it's not. That's the problem with small towns. They don't have more important things to do than get involved in these types of matters. It's sad really. We tried to solve this issue peacefully with our neighbors, but now we'll have to "raise holy hell" as you mentioned. Since the ownership of the dock is under question, the town took it over until the dispute comes to some sort of resolution. The yellow eye sore poles were placed to keep snowmobiles from accessing the lake during the winter. These were supposed to come down once the area was gated off, but this ordeal came into play and nothing will be touched until this is resolved.

Fact#4: I wasn't trying to get into a religious debate. I do not believe God make threats. I believe those to be promises if the people of this world don't keep to the the word of God. These are my beliefs and I'm not instilling them on anyone. My bible quote was just to define that if people do good they will receive good things and vise versa. It's a point to live by. It's keep me honest, at the very least! As far as your religious quote, I completely understand if you believe those to be threats by God. People have a right to view the passages of the bible the way they feel. Correct?

Fact#5: Yes, I used the word, "neighbors" because there's more than one that's causing legal issues. One neighbor for the dock, another neighbor that has placed a chain-linked fence up between the right-away and Railroad Ave. This access point was always used by the residents of Railroad Ave/ Anniversary Ave as a means to get to the Wise Owl. Now small kids and adults are forced to walk the narrow high traffic rt. 11 if they wish to visit us... or by car... which takes the convenience out of the equation. I was a witness to this neighbor striking/pushing a child as they tried to squeeze through the opening of the fence to go home. I'm not sure what happened with that incident, but I hope you can agree with me on this... who of mind stability does that to a child? That's disgraceful! This fence was to come down, but that's just another legal issue we need to contend with. One problem at a time. And lastly, a third neighbor that has her nose in anything and everything we do. This is also the same neighbor that placed the yellow caution tape on their dock. I'm not sure why they did this, but I heard, don't quote me, it was to keep our guests from using their dock as a way to access the Wise Owl. Not sure in the truth of that, but it's what I heard. Like I said before we've tried dealing with these problems direct and peacefully, but that's clearly not working, so yes... legal action is being taken. As my brother mentioned above, he'll do his best to keep everyone informed since so many stories are roaming the area.

Fact#6: There are no non-objective parties, the officers of Alton aren't really up to date on the legal issues. The Court House may be more informed, but my point was that these things change daily. This is why I'm so far removed from the situation. I was just saying, as I'm doing myself, waiting for the problem to be resolved to get the final story if you will. I was not trying to be snarky!

Fact#7: Again Joj129 is not the owner and I'm not Joj129 either. I will say that my family and I do read these posts as a way to stay connected with what our customers are saying, but we've never posted something like an ad. This is a great idea, however... I would much rather people come in and give us a try and have them write their own reviews. It's much more productive.

Fact#8: I would hate to think you would form an opinion of me based off a post. I've yet to form an opinion of you and I would greatly appreciate the same respect. If you and your family frequent the Wise Owl, as much as you say you do, then you probably do know me in some way. I've worked there for well over 10 years as a waitress, cook, or anything else my father needs me to do since we've taken over. That's the type of person I am. I give up my weekends in the summer to limit the stress my father has to bear. You tell me... does that sound like the horrible person you've made feel I am... based off what you think my previous post meant? I believe the people that do know me, know that I'm an extremely generous and compassionate person. I would give the shirt off my back for anyone who was in need. I hate confrontations and rarely raise my voice to anyone. As for your comments on your family being wonderful... I'm sure they are. That statement was written to prove that I believe good things come to those who do good. I'm happy to hear you are running multiple businesses. In this economy we all know how difficult it is to successfully run one business let alone multiple. I wish you much success in doing so.

Fact#9: I really hope you reconsider your decision about no longer joining us at the Wise Owl. I hope that you can see that I meant no harm and never meant for you to interpret my post so negatively. I also hope that we've both learned the lesson that you can't read into things and that sometimes we may misread how things are written.

So that's all from WinniGirl on this topic.

On to another one.... does anyone know of a great pizza place around the Lakes Region? Non-commerical that is?

Last edited by WinniGirl81; 07-29-2010 at 01:54 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinniGirl81 For This Useful Post:
BackBay (07-29-2010), joj129 (07-29-2010)
Old 07-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #28
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Last night a friend and I looked for the Owl's Nest. We couldn't find it. Is it near the traffic circle or down near the lake?
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #29
WinniGirl81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
Last night a friend and I looked for the Owl's Nest. We couldn't find it. Is it near the traffic circle or down near the lake?
Hi Green's Basin Girl; we are actually located in West Alton near the Gilford line. If you head down Rt. 11 passed Mt. Major & the West Alton Marina, you'll find us about two miles up on the right-hand side. Our exterior signs are a bit hard to read (we're working on replacing those now) just look for the black awnings with the Wise Owl logo and red faced building. You can't miss us.

We look forward to serving you!
Old 07-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #30
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Just barely into Alton

Coming from Laconia, they are about a 1/2 mile or so east of Ames Farm, on the left side of the road heading toward Alton.

Place is looking good and we wish them well in their hassles.
WinniGirl81 (07-29-2010)
Old 07-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #31
Lakepilot

Although we've never been to the Owl's Nest by boat, we have been a couple of times by car and both times it was excellent.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakepilot For This Useful Post:
Lajonn57 (08-10-2013)
Old 07-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #32
WinniGirl81

Thanks for your feedback Lakepilot. I'm happy to hear you had two positive experiences and hope you come back for more!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #33
Marko

Default Fond Memories

Believe it or not.........
our extended family had a house at the top of the hill since 1910 and a lot of us have been going to the Wise Owl since it opened....

Name:  P1010110.JPG
Views: 10449
Size:  78.6 KB

I have fond summer memories of walking down and back with my siblings to the Wise Owl..........
had to get our daily fix of soda pop, candy, ice cream, donuts, baseball cards, etc in the 60's and 70's........
Grandpa had a daily ritual of driving to the Wise Owl every summer morning and getting the newspaper and his White Owl Cigars.......
and then of course us kids as we started getting older.......started driving down to the Wise Owl too
Name:  P1010113.JPG
Views: 17069
Size:  67.1 KB

we never went by boat to the Wise Owl even though a lot of our time was spent on boats during the summer.......
and all the times I went to the Wise Owl and looked down to the water.......
I never saw any boats pulling in to the Wise Owl........don't really think it was the thing to do there.......
Name:  P1010114.JPG
Views: 10560
Size:  68.3 KB

Name:  P1010116.JPG
Views: 9949
Size:  69.2 KB

Name:  P1010118.JPG
Views: 9960
Size:  66.0 KB

so it was certainly a pleasure to stop in and see the Wise Owl last week after 30+ years......
the store itself really hasn't changed that much.........
and I didn't see any soda pop for 5 cents or baseball card packs for 5 cents this time.....lol

said Hi to Mike and saw a fantastic looking Lobster Roll for $9.99......
if we hadn't just ate at Pop's in Alton Bay.......
we would certainly given one or two of those Lobster Rolls a shot........

thanks for the memories Mike and wish you and your family much prosperity and happiness for many years to come........

just love seeing the old Wise Nest sign by the road(last attachment)......pretty cool

Marko
St Petersburg, FL
Attached Images

Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marko For This Useful Post:
joj129 (08-05-2010)
Old 08-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #34
Argie's Wife

Sorry if this is a little off topic but I've always wondered about the wavy-style roof over the carport... Why is it like that? Was it just a cool design or is there some benefit to the style?

BTW - that's one of my favorite houses in Alton.... beautiful place!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #35
Marko

Argie......think it was something my great grandfather had the carpenters do........
as I have never seen that on any other Arts and Crafts Bungalow.....
it is certainly unusual and still surprised with that design that it has held up all these years.......
back in the 60's that curly roof porch room was screened in so we had another place to sit and eat......
cause with all of the grandchildren the house was busting at the seams......lol

we were always told this was the first house built on the lake on the West Alton side........

Marko
St Petersburg, FL
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #36
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Sorry if this is a little off topic but I've always wondered about the wavy-style roof over the carport... Why is it like that? Was it just a cool design or is there some benefit to the style?

BTW - that's one of my favorite houses in Alton.... beautiful place!
I saw a for sale sign on it last weekend
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #37
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
I saw a for sale sign on it last weekend
I know... I saw that too on my way to work today...

I'm sure someone will enjoy it but it won't be me unless I find a sugardaddy...
Old 08-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #38
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Does Argie know about this?
Old 08-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #39
Just Sold

Hey - lots of good talk about the Owl's Nest and I am getting hungry.

I would take my son there via boat when he was young and we stayed on Rattlesnake. Yup, I used the Owl's Nest dock back in the early to mid 90's. He loved the food back then and I will be there this weekend with my brother and his wife to have what I know will be a great breakfast again. Mike I will be sure to say hi.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #40
Rattlesnake Guy

Default Do you mean

Quote:
I know... I saw that too on my way to work today...

OR
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #41
Argie's Wife

Oh man... the candy-related puns that come to mind right now are almost over whelming...

I said, "Almost."

I'm trying to behave.

Really.

But's it's a sticky situation.

Whoops! Just went there.

How about just a Mr. Goodbar at his next Payday?
Old 08-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #42
Just Sold

Thumbs up Owl's Nest - Thumbs Up!

Well, I really have to say that the Owl's Nest is on top with me.
I went there early this AM with my family and the service and food was great. My girlfriend had the blueberry pancakes and they were loaded with em. My brother and I had the tried and tru 2 eggs over easy with hash browns and bacon. We had the raisin toast which I believe may have been home made and cut thick. mmmmm good. My sister in law had the Belgin Waffle with strawberies and she said that was delicious too. We all left with a smile and a full stomach.

I talked with the owner, Mike, for a few minutes and he is a great guy. He runs a nice place and I recommend everyone drop by. I even told a guest at the Inn we satyed at about our breakfast and they were planning on visiting too.
We wish Mike well and we will be back during our vacation later this month.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #43
WinniGirl81

Thumbs up

Great pics Marko! Hopefully, we'll have new exterior signs up soon. Permits pending. We will, however, be keeping the old sign with an undefined use... hard to part with historic markers.

@JustSold: So glad to hear your visit with us was a pleasant and filling one. We greatly appreciate you stopping by and hope to see you soon!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #44
Mr. V

We just returned from vacation.

I enjoyed my sausage, eggs and hash browns, and especially the bread: very good, and seemingly home made.

My son felt his omelette didn't have enough stuffing, e.g. cheese and ham, to balance out all the egg, but he's picky anyway.

The young man who works there was attentive and well spoken; too bad he's a rabid Red Sox fan (go Yankees!)

A positive experience, but due to the apparent lack of patronage I fear for their long term success.

Best of luck to the Wise Owl.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #45
pam.in.ny

It's been a while since I had time to visit the forum and read the posts. To my surprise, I found this thread. It's funny because I've been thinking about the Wise Owl lately. Of course I'm always thinking of the lake and the mountains. I was wondering if the WO was still in business. My parents and aunt and uncle would stay there when they went to the region and loved it. Well, after working for a few years after college, my best friend and I decided to go to NH and the lake for vacation. We stayed at the Wise Owl and had a great time. Every year, my mother always made sure that I took her "picnic basket" with all the essentials. The last time we went, I left the red and white checkered tablecloth on the table that was my mother's and often wondered how long it lasted. . Mom would say, I wonder if someone is enjoying our tablecloth. My friend moved on to other interests but I still traveled to the lake staying at the WO.. One year, out of the blue, after Labor Day, I decided to take a week off work and head to NH for some hiking. I stopped at the WO and the lady had a cabin to rent but for only 2 nights. She bent over backwards to find me a place nearby before those two nights were over with so I wouldn't be left out in the cold. I ended up staying at a nice place in Bartlett and I have to say, that was one of the best vacations that I ever had. This was in the early 80's so I don't remember the name of the owners but I would love to go there again. I'm glad that I came upon this thread. It really brought back memories. It's been too many years since I was last at the lake but my heart never left there.

Best of luck to the current owners of the ON/WO. I will be back and will stop in for a stay.
pam.in.ny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pam.in.ny For This Useful Post:
riverat (08-13-2010)
Old 08-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #46
WinniGirl81

Ut O! Did my father truly skimp on ham & cheese to egg ratio?!?! I'll have to have a talk with him! My dad has NO control on proportions... hence the outrageous size of the omelettes and pancakes. haha Typically, he throws in so many add-ins we have a hard time flipping the omelettes in the pan without all the contents flying out. We'll be sure to monitor this more closely. Glad you enjoyed your breakfast overall.

We, along with many small businesses in the area, have been hit by the recession. We will fight through it... and have definitive plans to continue serving our customers for many years to come. Thanks Mr. V! Hope you and your family enjoyed your vacation on the lake!

Hi Pam.in.ny

I love hearing stories like this. It reminds me of the deep history the Wise Owl has.

My family and I took over the Wise Owl just about 5 years ago and I've been working there since I was in high school. Goodness... just over 10 years ago. Yikes! I have not seen the table cloth you speak of, but I'm sure many guests did enjoy it. The cabins have all been renovated and are looking quite cozy. We hope you can find time to visit us on your next vacation.

Cheers!
Old 10-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #47
NHBUOY

...Hey Marko...If your family owned that house, you must be familiar with the women that owned the house across the street that had an Italian restaurant there that my family frequented often, and, was on par with what you could get in the North End...anybody else remember...?
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #48
Lake Lady 6

Default Owl's Nest

I remember my walking with my grandchildren down Railroad Ave. to the right of way & going to the Owl's Nest. Often my neighbor and I would take the same route with no problems. Why does an individual have the right to put up a fence blocking access to the right of way. It seems there are a few individuals who take it upon themselves to take actions that are not legal or to the benefit of the neighborhood.
Lake Lady 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #49
WinniGirl81

Hi Lake Lady 6,

We completely agree with you! The tradition of having the right of way as a safe and easy access point for those living on or near Railroad Ave is something we're in pursuit of preserving. I do believe, and my brother can correct me, that there is a cease and desist on the fence that has yet to be enforced by the town. Just another thing we'll have to bring to court. Many of the questions you bring up are questions we're trying to answer ourselves. The area used to be quiet and peaceful, but since the neighbors moved in they've made it their divine right to destroy that. Hopefully, we'll have this all sorted out within the near future, so this portion of W. Alton can go back to the peaceful and friendly area we once knew it to be.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #50
RailroadJoe

Interesting thing about abandoned railroad tracks. The right of way is the main problem. In some cases the state buys the right of way when the railroad abandons it. In other cases the land reverts back to original owners of the land. Case in point, look at all the new homes built on the Lake Shore Railroad bed in West Alton.
Most are directly on the bed and a lot in Gilford, from Lake Shore Park, have posted signs.
In Massachusetts they have paved over tracks for parking, torn them up at street crossings and let the trees and weeds take over.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #51
peasoupfan

Default Great Food

Though I can't eat shellfish, my husband tells me they have the best lobster rolls for the price. Full of great meat...not yourr average far too much mayo type of lobster roll.
peasoupfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peasoupfan For This Useful Post:
WinniGirl81 (04-15-2012)
Old 08-31-2011, 03:21 PM   #52
Barndoor Islander

Default Water Access

Did this get resolved? As an islander we're always looking to avoid needing a car.
Barndoor Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #53
Jeanzb1

Lobster rolls are delicious! And their omellettes are HUMUNGOUS! Wonderful little place!
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeanzb1 For This Useful Post:
WinniGirl81 (04-15-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #54
WinniGirl81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barndoor Islander View Post
Did this get resolved? As an islander we're always looking to avoid needing a car.
Hi Barndoor Islander!

No this problem has yet to be resolved. We're working our way through the red tape, but we have some way to go. We'll keep you posted.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #55
Mr. V

How's the breakfast fare at the Owl's Nest this year?

I'll be out in a few weeks, and am looking for a good breakfast spot in that area.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #56
Altonbayicefishingfool

I use to work at the "nest" back in the 90's with my good friend,Tim Scribner.... Many good times there!
My most memorable was meeting Bobby Carpenter, former Boston Bruin who had a house on the lake in W. Alton.. He would come in for a steak and cheese in the summer months..
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #57
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Lake Shore Railroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
Interesting thing about abandoned railroad tracks. The right of way is the main problem. In some cases the state buys the right of way when the railroad abandons it. In other cases the land reverts back to original owners of the land. Case in point, look at all the new homes built on the Lake Shore Railroad bed in West Alton.
Most are directly on the bed and a lot in Gilford, from Lake Shore Park, have posted signs.
In Massachusetts they have paved over tracks for parking, torn them up at street crossings and let the trees and weeds take over.
You will notice no one is altering or building on the railroad bed up to Wise Owl. That's because the sewage line from Laconia is under the railroad bed. I will be posting pictures of the old railroad bed next spring.

The railroad track crosses Irwin Marine parking lot. You will see the tracks up to where Grossman use to be before Lowes Home Improvement.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #58
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
You will notice no one is altering or building on the railroad bed up to Wise Owl. That's because the sewage line from Laconia is under the railroad bed.
Hang on, are you saying that a viable, working sanitary sewage line extends from Laconia to the Wise Owl in West Alton, and that it is sited along the old RR right of way?

Whoa, I've never heard that before.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #59
upthesaukee

Default sounds like the old line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Hang on, are you saying that a viable, working sanitary sewage line extends from Laconia to the Wise Owl in West Alton, and that it is sited along the old RR right of way?

Whoa, I've never heard that before.
Flush twice, it is a long way to Alton . I know that the first house on the left heading into Alton from Gilford, had a new septic system put in a few years ago. That house would be right on the RR ROW...A few years back Alton had a Rails to Trails that I was a part of, and we talked about the ROW all the way to the Alton/Gilford town line.
Nor do I think that Gilford would allow a sewer line to transverse their town.

Like to see the source on that one Broadhopper, please.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #60
BroadHopper

Default Winnipesaukee Basin Service Area

The link below maps the service area of the program. I do know the sewage line serves Terrace Hill Road in Gilford. A decade ago the owner abutting the Wise Owl store set up a fence and No trespassing signs so folks on the RR pass cannot access the store through his property. The owner of Wise Owl store told a number of us that the sewage line stopped at the Wise Owl store. I thought he meant the Winni Basin project, I may be wrong.

http://www.des.state.nh.us/organizat...rvice_area.pdf

I do know that the original intent of the project was to provide sewage hookup around the lake but lacks federal funding.

I'm not aware that the Rail to Trail project include the Lakeshore RR bed. I am looking into extending the WOW trail project to include the Lakeshore Rail from Lakeport to McDonald in Laconia. I have pictures of the bed. The tracks are still there!
Old 07-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #61
lagoon

Default Wise Owl and Railroad Ave.

There seems to be a number of you who have expressed an interest in "restoring" the access that many of us have always enjoyed from Railroad Ave. to various points of interest including the Wise Owl.

If that is the case please contact the owner Mike, and he can direct you to a group of us that are working hard to open up these rights of ways again. We have put a great deal of research into this and feel we have a very good case to get this taken care of.

Any of you that have a history of use for Railroad Ave. through where it is blocked now by the Wise Owl or farther down towards Alton please let us now the year of usage and some narrative about it.

We look forward to hearing from you either from Mike or through this site.

Lagoon
lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #62
BroadHopper

Default Lake Shore RR and WOW trail

I would strongly suggest all who is interested to get in touch with Alan Beetle who is the chair of the WOW trail committee. He can be found at Patrick's Pub in Gilford. By connecting Alton to the WOW trail, it is possible to bike/walk all the way to Merrimac River in Franklin! That will be a fantastic undertaking!

A few years ago I was able to walk from Glidden Cove to Owl's Nest store. The landowner next to the store on the Alton side put up a fence and posted no traspassing. I had to walk up to the main road to go to the store.

It would be nice to open the old railroad bed for recreational purpose and to preserve the railroad bed as a lot of work was put into it.

Your thoughts?
Old 07-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #63
RailroadJoe

It only takes one NIMBY to cause problems for all others. They do not care about anything except their own selfish rights, The old rairoad bed should never have been blocked in the first place. Not sure how this person got permission to block a right of way. Like Reagan said "Mr PAIN in the neck, tear down that fence"
Old 07-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #64
Jonas Pilot

Well said Railroad Joe.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #65
lagoon

Alan is a good source of information but he could not possibly catch up to what we know about the Railroad Bed in West Alton now. We are hoping to have some news next week regarding this and any experience you or others have had on the Railroad Bed could be important to us particularly if it was from years ago.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I do not want to say more here.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #66
Altonbayicefishingfool

Default Note about the old railbed

From some of the comments I have read here, I think there is some great misunderstanding about the old railroad beds and "rights of way"

There is a small section of railbed in Alton Bay that has been in my family since shortly after the rail system shut down. This property abuts the main property but is deeded and tax assessed seperatly from the main piece of land.as the land owner ( as my grandfather as well paid taxes on this property)this is not a "right of way" nor is it public property as some of the town folks think it is!!! Including our fearless (and careless road agent) as one winter decided he was going To dump every square inch of snow from the bay parking onto our property... A little research goes a long way, this being said a lot of that overgrown, sometimes forgotten about railbed is PRIVATE PROPERTY!
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:58 AM   #67
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts
Default Raileoad bed in Alton

Much (maybe all) of the rail bed in Alton had originally been taken by the State using eminent domain and then leased to the RR. After the demise of the RR the State deeded the fee interest to the Town. The town then sold the fee interest to many short segments to abutting land owners as noted by fishingfool.

The Town also retained ownership to many segments like the Bay parking area;also near the Police station and near Woodlands Road.

So some segments of the old RR bed are now private property and some are public property.

Last edited by Slickcraft; 07-22-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #68
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
It only takes one NIMBY to cause problems for all others. They do not care about anything except their own selfish rights, The old rairoad bed should never have been blocked in the first place. Not sure how this person got permission to block a right of way. Like Reagan said "Mr PAIN in the neck, tear down that fence"
Segments of the railroad bed were offered for sale to the abutting property owners when the railroad stopped operating. Most decided to purchase the abutting segment, converting it to private property.

They have every right to fence in what they own. Perhaps short-term thinking on the Town of Alton's part, but the land owners are completely legal with their fences.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #69
RailroadJoe

R2B You are correct on that they own the land. Like I said earlier, when abandoned, many of the rights of way went back to the original owners. Many are still owned by the B&M, like in Rochester and Dover on the old Dover and Winnipasaugee Line. Its just too bad that the few can deprive the majority of easy travel. Glad I'm an old man and can remember as a kid of all the private property I went through and the land owners used to wave. Not any more.
The Following User Says Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (07-22-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #70
lagoon

Actually several portions of the former B & M Railroad Bed are different however here is the road law for NH. No matter who owns the road it is not for their exclusive use. You and you abutting neighbor may live on opposite sides of the former Railroad bed and own it to the middle of the road but if it is a road it is not exclusive to you meaning others can use it. There are many other aspects to road law and it does matter if it is a road and then also what class of road. If it is not a town road there still can be established usage that would qualify it as a right of way.

So it is not as simple as they bought it and they own it so they can block it, especially when it comes to the former Railroad Bed. There will be a hearing September 6th at 9:00am at the Belknap County Courthouse about this particular case should you be interested to be there. If you have a further interest please respond.
The Following User Says Thank You to lagoon For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 05:09 AM   #71
Belmont Resident

Default Ok!

All the legal stuff aside, where is this place? I've driven through Alton many times and never noticed the Owls Nest.
Except for the diner across from Walmart in Gilford there are not many good breakfast places and none with a buffet that I know of.
Alton is a nice motorcycle ride down 140 from Belmont.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #72
upthesaukee

Default close to Ames Farm

Heading East from Gilford to Alton, as Rte 11 leaves the lakeside by Ames Farm, the road starts a gentle up hill climb. Owl's nest is on the left about a quarter mile up the road from the lakeside portion, and is formally known as the Wise Owl. Used to have a dock where you could go by boat, but sadly, that option is no longer available due to legal problems yet to be resolved.
Belmont Resident (08-05-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #73
SIKSUKR

Last time I ate breakfast there( 2 years) it was great.4 egg omelette.
Lajonn57 (08-10-2013)
Old 08-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #74
BroadHopper

Default Winnipesaukee Basin Project

I remember well, heated arguments between the govt and land owners about where the sewer lines were to be buried. There were some law written in the books that allow the govt jurisdiction over old RR right of ways even though the railroad gave up their rights and sold the land. One neighbor built a cabana and pool on the old right of way. Guess what, the govt dug up his pool and move the pool and cabana aside to put the sewage in. His lawyer told him not to bother sueing for damages.

If you had built on the old RR line, and the govt decides to extend the sewage line to Alton as originally intended, be prepared for the consequences.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #75
This'nThat

Default Rated #11 by WMUR

A list was posted by WMUR readers yesterday (31 May 2013) listing the Wise Owl as #11 overall best breakfast place in New Hampshire (http://www.wmur.com/news/-/9858204/2...f/-/index.html). I believe it's the only one listed in the Lakes Region.

I've never heard of the Wise Owl before this, but I'll make a point to visit it, now.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to This'nThat For This Useful Post:
Lajonn57 (08-10-2013)
Old 07-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #76
Mr. V

How is the Owl doing so far this summer?
Old 07-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #77
AC2717

great place, a few weeks ago tried to go by boat, as the part of the family that used to own on SLeepers island said there were docks.
If there were, they are gone now.

If you had a putt putt you could pull it ashore on the sand that is at the bottom of the stairs, that is about it
was upset but what can you do, so then went to Ames Farm
they only have two - 1 boat slips for restaurant. both taken, ended up heading back towards the home berth and ended up in Meredith then headed back into the bay after Sunshine and Pa's