Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 05:51 PM   #1
Mr. V

Default racism?

I usually fly east for a couple weeks during the summer, to vacation at our camp on the Lake. No problem.

My son (now 25) has previously accompanied me, but now he's involved with a new lady, and her kids...which leads to the issue at hand.

We are white; his significant other is, too, but the father of her two young girls is black.

We live in the Pacific NW, which is a tolerant, progressive part of the country.

The girls are wonderful, joyous kids, and I hope to keep them that way.

For that reason I am nervous about bringing the girls to the Lake.

In my experience, there is deep-rooted prejudice in NH, more so than I see here out West.

Oh sure, folks might not bleat out the "N" word at the girls, but the prejudices run deep.

I can envision hard glares at them at the Weirs...granted, many will be from "Mass holes" ...but I fear this, and worse.

My question: are NH people really as racist as I seem to recall, or have things gotten mellower and more progressive in the granite state?

Can you look at a black and think of them as a person?
Old 07-02-2004, 07:01 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default Let's hope it works out well

You'll find more racism in NH than some other places of the country, but that is mostly because there are few people of the black race in NH. They are sort of a novelty here. Black people have, for some reason, chosen to ignore NH, and as a result, NH has maybe a 1% black population. Most of that population is in the southern third of the state. With most of the attitudes about blacks in NH set by the news, there is unfortunately a lot of stereotypical behavior for a black person to overcome. It is more a case of pre-judging, than racism. I'm hope most NH people (and the Masses of tourists) will treat anyone as a person first, but a black person will no doubt get some stares - just as a white person would if they went to Japan, where the white population is about 1%. Let us know how it went. I hope the people of NH don't come across as too rude.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:26 PM   #3
Rose

Speaking as a Mass Hole, sounds like you yourself are prejudiced.

The children will be fine...hope they don't learn a regional prejudice from you.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:50 PM   #4
meredith necker

Default not so rare

I don't see a lot of bad feelings against colored people; I personally am still surprised when I see one but actually I have never heard anything against them in 50 years. Thirty years ago a mixed marriage might have raised eyebrows but not now. For one thing, there are more and more couples who are not from the same country who at least visit here, white American and Oriental, etc. I have heard a lot of comments about gays, however, both pro and con. I don't think the kids will have any trouble whatsoever. People might even think they were adopted. Those trouble days are over as far as I am concerned.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:59 PM   #5
Gilligan

Question Racism around the Lakes Region?

Mr. V.

You are wise to be concerned about your group. I think you have nothing to worry about here in the Lakes Region. This isn't a foreign country or redneck Southerner territory. We entertain visitors from all areas, ethnic groups and backgrounds. It's not like you are coming to buy property on Governor's Island. Hey, look at Bike week. You think the children will cause more of the GAWK factor than some of the bike week characters or be treated with anything less than proper respect? We do not tolerate people that leave fish hooks on our boats and docks. I can not account for everyone but most vacationers, locals and regulars are interested in enjoying the area and not in questioning the make-up of other visiting families. Merchants too. COLOR only matters when it comes to money. What color is it? They'll have a ball at Funspot, the Weirs, Go Carts, waterslides and a whole list that you can find in the "Boredom" thread Activities list for Kids . If they get turned away from the Go Carts or water slides it would be because they aren't tall enough to ride. The height guide is clear and used for all.

No one can promise that you won't run across some jerk who makes an improper comment. That can happen anywhere. So come, don't worry, be happy.

Regarding my comment about Governor's Island. The question was touched on by someone in the Britney Spears thread (but not answered) No approval for Britney purchase. I also recall the topic raised on the "old" forum.

Years ago, I'm told, Governor's Island was a restricted community. That's why there is a Governor's Island Club and Association that gets to approve (or not) prospective property owners. I don't know how it is today but back then it seemed like those of color, certain religious persuasions or family heritages were not buying (or allowed to buy?) on the Island. I have not driven around the Island lately to check the diversity of homeowners walking around nor have I heard anything lately about restrictions. As for local diversity drive around and look. Also look in the yellow pages (on line or the real book) and see how many different religions have houses of worship listed. That all is another topic.

I am tempted to ask Mr. V. if some of your concern might be what people will think about YOU when your party includes the children. Or maybe you are just over sensitive to the situation. In either case it's not really a Lake related issue now is it.

Enjoy your visit.

Last edited by Gilligan; 07-03-2004 at 12:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2004, 10:30 AM   #6
Lady Di

Default I couldn't have said it better myself, Rose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
Speaking as a Mass Hole, sounds like you yourself are prejudiced.

The children will be fine...hope they don't learn a regional prejudice from you.
I couldn't agree with you more, Rose.

I am originally from Mass, and I find that comment very offensive. I have always had utmost respect for everyone, regardless of Race or region. A jerk is a jerk, no matter where from or what race.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:46 PM   #7
aquadocton

Mr. V
It is 2004 in New Hampshire, not 1954 in Mississippi. It is amazing you would ask such a question. You directly insulted the people of Massachusetts by calling them Mass Holes and indirectly insulted the people of New Hampshire by assuming we would have issues with your son's relationship.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:51 PM   #8
GWC...

Question Is Mr V bored to a T?

In reading your post a second time, it occurred to me that you enjoy stirring the pot on this site.

Just my opinion, yours may differ.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:46 PM   #9
Kona Bay Girl

Default Hey Now Wait a Second

Being from Massachusetts I'm offended myself. Are you implying that people form Massachusetts are prejudiced? I'm not sure, but I've heard (from the grapevine of course) that Massachusetts is a pretty liberal state. Being part of the Union during the Civil War to you does that kind of thing.

Plus, most of the people there are not bad drivers. New Hampshire law states that any kid 15 and 1/2 years can go in and get a permit, while Massachusetts kids have to take a test at 16. Then, once the age of 16 and 1/2 years is surpassed, a NH resident who passes the test has a full license. A Massachusetts resident has to go through a graduated license procedure where for a 6 month period, one cannot operate a vehicle with another person unless it is a sibling or person aged over 21 OR drive between the hours of 12 and 5 AM. There are only so many people living in Massachusetts, and only so many of them can or want to drive.

I was at some random restaurant earlier today in Meredith near Mill Falls and saw the logbook. People had been visiting from places such as the Bahamas, Israel, Scotland, Ireland and all over the US itself. There are bikers, boaters, and beach-goers. There are the tourists, the renters, and the day-trippers. During the summer season, the lake becomes a giant melting pot, btinging the old and the young together, the locals and the tourists. Why should it change now?

And if you want to hurt us Mass people, please get the name right. It's Masshole.

Thank you.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:18 AM   #10
JDeere

Default GWC got it right

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC...
In reading your post a second time, it occurred to me that you enjoy stirring the pot on this site.
This post is nothing more than an effort to stir the pot. Doubt anything in it is true other than the dislike of Mass folks which I think is the tip off that this post on racism is bogus!

Last edited by webmaster; 07-05-2004 at 08:31 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 07-05-2004, 07:05 PM   #11
gravy boat

Cool Non-Issue...No worries

Mr. V.,

Doubt you'll have an issue. Everyone up here is very good. All are welcome!!

Come up, relax and enjoy the vacation!!!!

Gravy
Old 07-05-2004, 10:27 PM   #12
RI Swamp Yankee

Default Mr. V

I can't speak as a local but only as another tourist. I have seen all types in places like The Weirs and I don't think anyone pays any attention. Well ... my wife says I gawk a bit if the bathing suit has less material than the purse . Personaly, I saw a lot more racism during a 3 week visit to Atlanta GA than I ever saw in NH, both now or 30 years ago. Keep in mind there are always a few rude & crude people everywhere including NH, MA, RI or the Pacific NW.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:05 AM   #13
WakeUp

Default Wow...

Mr. V. - My suggestion is to stay in the Pacific Northwest.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:21 AM   #14
KonaChick

Meredith Necker..referring to black people as "colored" is racism!! That term went out years ago. Please update your vocabulary.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:40 AM   #15
Paugus Bay Resident

Mr. V,

After reading your post, I am at a total loss for words.

Rose pretty much summed up my feelings. If you are so concerned, perhaps you should stay home.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:48 AM   #16
JG1222

Lightbulb A "Pacific Northwesthole"???

Mr. V,

You complain about stereotypes, yet in your very next paragraph you blatently and unapologetically stereotype people from Massachusetts. Quite candidly - your's was a dumb post which added no value to this forum.

Do us all a favor - if you're so concerned, don't come. Stay in the Pacific Northwest - We're probably much better off without you here.

PS - Not that I really want to get into the "Masshole" argument. BUT, even if we put the whole "the majority of Mass residents who visit the Lakes Region are nice people" argument aside - Massachusetts residents are probably the main reason why the Lakes Region enjoys such a booming tourism economy and rising property values. You're welcome.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:29 PM   #17
GTO

Default Mr V

Remember the words of Martin Luther King , "Mr V, You are an Idiot". Hmmmm, or was that me?
Old 07-06-2004, 03:03 PM   #18
gravy boat

Default Time to move on, folks....

Yes, it seems it's time to move on from this subject.
Once the flaming starts, nothing intelligent ensues.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:29 PM   #19
Lexxi

Default You Are Kidding

I can't believe that question was even asked, never mind all the answers.
Every one is equal........Geesh
Let's get on with the Summer.............
Old 07-06-2004, 10:20 PM   #20
meredith necker

Default politically correct

So, I must be politcally correct in my use of terms must I? Perhaps I am old fashioned because I'm old. I thought I got my point accross. I did not enjoy being labeled by someone who doesn't even know me.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:47 PM   #21
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Meredith Necker-

You weren't being racist by your comment. It's evident that the term racist has taken on a meaning beyond what it's true definiton is, so as a refresher here we go:

Main Entry: rac·ism
Pronunciation: 'rA-"si-z&m also -"shi-
Function: noun

a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Uh please explain why using the word "colored" has anything to do with the above?
Old 07-08-2004, 01:41 AM   #22
Mr. V

My question was genuine.

I am arriving for two weeks in late July, sans children: maybe next year, if my son can save the dough to fly the brood cross country, the Grand Experiment can unfold.

BTW, I first learned the term "Mass hole" (sic) from some native sons of the granite state lo those many years ago while on vacation at the Lake.

No, it was, and is, not a term of endearment; rather a reaction by aggrieved natives to the exploitation and pimping of their state by arrogant outsiders.

Most folks from Mass. do not qualify to wear the label, but some do.

Otherwise, how is it that you are all familiar with the term?
Old 07-08-2004, 06:12 AM   #23
dpg

Mr. V, you're a real piece of work!
Closed Thread