Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2020, 06:13 AM   #1
Winnigirl83

Default Name Taking

Just curious how people feel about a restaurant taking your name and phone number. I was out over the weekend and overheard another table tell the waitress that they wouldn't be back because she asked for this information.

Personally, I think it's wrong to take it out on these businesses. The local restaurants in our area are barely keeping their doors open. I'm sure they have no desire to have to collect this information. If you have a problem with it just don't provide it. Then contact some of our state reps that maybe can do something about it. Don't punish these businesses. It's not fair to them.

I don't want this to be a politically charged post. If it turns into one, I hope the Don will delete this post. I just feel bad for restaurants that are doing the best they can to try to keep their doors open.
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:20 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

What info are they taking and for what reason?

Scratch that: https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/10/...virus-tracing/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:31 AM   #3
exlakesregioner

funny that the restaurant association membership asked for this so it will make it easier to contact trace if there is a covid problem so they wouldn't have to announce it all over the place to try and get this info. You do this whenever you make a reservation, so what is the problem?
exlakesregioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:36 AM   #4
Winnigirl83

They asked for my first name and phone number.

It's a government mandate that restaurants collect this information. Not 100%, but I believe it's because if someone tests positive, they can contact those that may have been in the restaurant at the same time.
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:18 AM   #5
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnigirl83 View Post

It's a government mandate that restaurants collect this information. Not 100%, but I believe it's because if someone tests positive, they can contact those that may have been in the restaurant at the same time.
That correct but although a government mandate the New Hampshire Resturant Association asked for this because there fear obviously is if they do not have controls and positive tests increase they are afraid of being closed down.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2020, 07:22 AM   #6
gillygirl

I had this happen twice at a restaurant in MA. First time, they wrote the info down. The second time, they handed me the clipboard and pen, which I thought was wrong because that might be a source of transmission. Later trips, they took no info.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 11-01-2020, 07:27 AM   #7
8gv

https://youtu.be/8ou6DDG5e7I
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (11-01-2020), pjard (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #8
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlakesregioner View Post
funny that the restaurant association membership asked for this so it will make it easier to contact trace if there is a covid problem so they wouldn't have to announce it all over the place to try and get this info. You do this whenever you make a reservation, so what is the problem?
Correct, they do take this info on each reservation. The most recent case in Nashua and the four in Portsmouth were the result of infections staff, not customers! It appears to me the issue is with each restaurant having a difficult time maintaining monitoring protocol with staff.

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:34 AM   #9
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Thanks for making me smile....not much to cheer us up lately
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:49 AM   #10
joey2665

Default Name Taking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Thanks for making me smile....not much to cheer us up lately
As a restauranteur I would love to know your take on this new policy. However I would also understand if you prefer not to voice your position on a public forum.

Old 11-01-2020, 09:58 AM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnigirl83 View Post

That is correct. We were in the Bar Harbor, ME area in Sept. A name and phone number was recorded for one person at each table. This was in case contact tracing had to be done. NH was the last state in the area to do this. I think that this is a good idea.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...c438a7109.html

Last edited by Slickcraft; 11-01-2020 at 10:32 AM. Reason: add link
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default No problem here

No problem here. If I was in an establishment and was potentially exposed to COVID, whether from staff or customer, I would like to know. As others have said, I give my name and number when calling for a reservation, so I see no difference.

Dave
Old 11-01-2020, 11:53 AM   #13
FlyingScot

I understand it might be a tad unsettling to an unsuspecting diner, but I think it's completely reasonable given the value of contact tracing.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #14
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default name and number

How many places from hairdresser to veterinarian now say call us when you arrive and we'll call you when it is your turn? Restaurants do this for take out and have done it for many many years for reservations, especially when you make the reservation several days ahead. When you are seated, somebody gives them a business card. That's what the cards are for. Who knows, maybe you'll get a new customer? BTW, I enjoy doing business "where everybody knows your name"
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #15
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
From the "Tube" comment section:
Probably a well-known plot twist, but what if Jenny, whose # is 8675309, is Jessie's Girl, who is Stacy's Mom, and is the Uptown Girl?
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #16
winniplayhouse

At the Winnipesaukee Playhouse we had a six week season in September and October (socially distanced, masks required, etc). We took down the name, number, and email address for each patron and had them sign to attest that they answered "no" to the required State of NH health screening questions we asked them. Not a single problem or complaint. All patrons were respectful and appreciative of our efforts to keep them safe.

I am very grateful we are now at 3 weeks post-season and can retire the contact tracing forms. But it was definitely a good thing to have available if we needed it.
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to winniplayhouse For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (11-02-2020), Descant (11-01-2020), TheTimeTraveler (11-01-2020), upthesaukee (11-01-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 07:21 AM   #17
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
As a restauranteur I would love to know your take on this new policy. However I would also understand if you prefer not to voice your position on a public forum.

Thanks for asking Joey
I try to keep it positive because we've had so many great years but 2020 has been quite a challenge.
At first we were afraid that people would be resentful of giving name and number. We were thinking business is bad enough and now this.
But we found people very understanding....most think's a good idea.
If someone tested positive that had been at our restaurant we would know where they sat, who waited on them and able to contact anyone who was sitting near them so they could take precautions and get tested.
A little more work for us but if think it's a smart thing to do
Definitely not a government plot....actually it was suggested by the NH Restaurant Assoc. We keep the records here and would only refer to them if needed.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Crusty (11-02-2020), Descant (11-02-2020), Doobs41378 (11-02-2020), FlyingScot (11-02-2020), Janet (11-02-2020), JEEPONLY (11-02-2020), Shreddy (11-02-2020), TheTimeTraveler (11-02-2020), Whimsey (11-07-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 07:31 AM   #18
joey2665

Quote:
Thanks for asking Joey
I try to keep it positive because we've had so many great years but 2020 has been quite a challenge.
At first we were afraid that people would be resentful of giving name and number.We were thinking business is bad enough and now this.
If someone tested positive that had been at our restaurant we would know where they sat,who waited on them and able to contact anyone who was sitting near them so they could take precautions and get tested.
Definitely not a government plot....actually it was suggested by the NH Restaurant Assoc. We keep the records here and would only refer to them if needed.
Thanks Sam I appreciate you sharing your opinion. I also agree with you as it’s not a bid deal especially as many have said if you are making a reservation or many restaurants use a text system to tell you your table is ready your giving your name and cell anyway.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:04 AM   #19
Shreddy

Quote:
Thanks for asking Joey
At first we were afraid that people would be resentful of giving name and number. We were thinking business is bad enough and now this.
If someone tested positive that had been at our restaurant we would know where they sat, who waited on them and able to contact anyone who was sitting near them so they could take precautions and get tested.
Good stuff and makes perfect sense. I got my Farmer's breakfast Tuesday morning last week and just as good as always. Also had Turkey dinner takeout Wednesday (another showstopper ). At the end of the day, you're taking on more work to do your customers a favor as a precaution. If they're that concerned and really appreciate your business, I'm assuming they could just lie (wrong name and number). This shouldn't be a big issue or concern at all. If anything, it should be appreciated by the patrons that you guys are implementing yet ANOTHER change that should only be seen as a precaution/positive impact. Keep it up