Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2022, 12:23 PM   #1
TheProfessor

Default Winter - Away - Turn Off Heat - Drain Pipes

Yep.
My neighbor - seasonal - decided that all was a waste of money heating house by propane all winter. Year round full foundation modern house.
So hired someone to drain all pripes, etc.

Following year I visit and there in living room is a man on stilts patching the ceiling.

The following year. Did same. No heat in house.
I visit again.
And low and behold. There is the same man on stilts patcing the ceiling. My visit was only a few minutes. So I did not ask if there was any other damage. The owner of house was quite upset. So I did not ask any questions.

Penny wise. Pound foolish.

Yes, some can and do drain everything - and all is fine - for years or decades.
But some do have issues.

And yes, at out 1940 camp. We did drain all pipes. This is how I learned to sodder copper pipes. And I became quite good at it.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:49 PM   #2
Blue Thunder

I’ve winterized my house in Maine myself for 20 years. I’m not there and just can’t trust that the power won’t go out. As long as you use a small compressor and blow everything out with air, you’ll never have a problem.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:12 PM   #3
tg38

30+ years draining house water and anti freeze in all traps. blowing water out of dish washer and clothes washer, no problems
tg38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:35 AM   #4
LikeLakes

Agree, with attention to detail and a routine you follow a house can be safely winterized. The only problems I've run into are due to my own mistakes, and were very easy to fix.

So I don't think penny wise and pound foolish at all. Personal decision, certainly costs a fair amount of money these days to keep a house you don't plan to use heated to 50 degrees.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:17 AM   #5
Steveo

Default Build it right

When I built my camp on the lake some 40 years ago I did it with the intention of it being seasonal and needing to be drained each fall. All of the pipes can be gravity drained down to 2 spigots, no compressor needed. Antifreeze in the traps and toilet, drain clothes washer and dishwasher and I'm done.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steveo For This Useful Post:
WinnisquamZ (12-09-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2022, 11:15 AM   #6
camp guy

Default Winter -Away - Turn off heat - Drain Pipes

Every year this topic comes up, and every year people relate their horror or success stories. But in one of the above posts there is mention of a gentleman up on stilts patching the ceiling. This has nothing to do with draining pipes, but everything to do with with the whole house getting too cold and the sheetrock reacting to stress. It is not an exact comparison of apples-to-apples, but sheetrock eventually succumbs to constant cold and will crack. Draining the pipes AND keeping the heat on at a low setting will probably solve both issues. The cost off the extra fuel to keep a house at a low temperature during the winter is significantly less than the cost of the repairs necessary when you try to DIY and cut corners. For homeowners who aren't able to monitor (electronically) their house, contract with a property management company for periodic checks. This is money well spent. I am not trying to spend other people's money, not tell them how to manage their house, but by following my own rules I have successfully managed my own house for many years.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
puremaple (12-12-2022), WinnisquamZ (12-09-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 07:16 AM   #7
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Every year this topic comes up, and every year people relate their horror or success stories. But in one of the above posts there is mention of a gentleman up on stilts patching the ceiling. This has nothing to do with draining pipes, but everything to do with with the whole house getting too cold and the sheetrock reacting to stress. It is not an exact comparison of apples-to-apples, but sheetrock eventually succumbs to constant cold and will crack. Draining the pipes AND keeping the heat on at a low setting will probably solve both issues. The cost off the extra fuel to keep a house at a low temperature during the winter is significantly less than the cost of the repairs necessary when you try to DIY and cut corners. For homeowners who aren't able to monitor (electronically) their house, contract with a property management company for periodic checks. This is money well spent. I am not trying to spend other people's money, not tell them how to manage their house, but by following my own rules I have successfully managed my own house for many years.
My impression of his remarks regarding patching the ceiling was that a pipe needed repair and it was in the space above the ceiling…..
Old 12-10-2022, 07:59 AM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

If you decide to drain pipes......be sure and leave all faucets in the house wide open. That way if there is any residual water it will expand without breaking the pipes
SAMIAM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 08:43 AM   #9
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

I have a seasonal guest house that I blow out and shut down every winter. The water feed is underground from another house that I blow it out from so even the pipes in the ground should be free of any water. The pipes will hold air pressure all winter so when I return in the spring it is reassuring that when I open the faucets and hear the hiss I know there are no underground leaks. It may be safer to leave the faucets open but this method has been working for about 12 years.

Over several years, I have made all the mistakes you can make. Two years ago, when I opened the valves to feed water to the guest house I also turned on the breaker for the hot water. I learned the hard way that the air locked hot water heater wouldn't fill until I opened a faucet. Both electrodes had to be replaced.

I am not sure if this is the reason but I left an LCD television in there for the winter and it was junk in the spring. I think the (L stands for liquid) TV froze. Now I remove the new TV and put it in a building that stays at 50 degrees for the winter.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 09:52 AM   #10
WinnisquamZ

Correct on the tv. I do the same with a “summer space” above the garage. I open all faucets and shower then blow out each line. Not difficult. Curious about the air left in the line. Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 10:16 AM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I am not sure if this is the reason but I left an LCD television in there for the winter and it was junk in the spring. I think the (L stands for liquid) TV froze. Now I remove the new TV and put it in a building that stays at 50 degrees for the winter.
Interesting that you had problems with your TV. I don’t think it was because of the cold. I have two 60” LCD TV’s that I have left out at my camp for years now. I was told LCD was the type of TV that can take the cold and that is why they use them in conversion vans and RV’s specifically for this reason.

I do know your suppose to let them come up to room temp before turning them on in the spring or you could damage them. I also make sure to unplug them over the winter….

Dan
Old 12-10-2022, 11:41 AM   #12
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Interesting that you had problems with your TV. I don’t think it was because of the cold. I have two 60” LCD TV’s that I have left out at my camp for years now. I was told LCD was the type of TV that can take the cold and that is why they use them in conversion vans and RV’s specifically for this reason.

I do know your suppose to let them come up to room temp before turning them on in the spring or you could damage them. I also make sure to unplug them over the winter….

Dan
Wondering if it was a plasma tv?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 12:52 PM   #13
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
My impression of his remarks regarding patching the ceiling was that a pipe needed repair and it was in the space above the ceiling…..
My impression of the remarks is that they have structural problems and by leaving the heat off you increase the snow load on the roof. No heat leaking through to melt any snow fall means a heavier snow load.
I wonder which issue caused the need to patch ceilings every year?
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 05:14 PM   #14
ITD

Quote:
This, my first lake house was a cottage, with wood walls, pretty small, easy to winterize and no issues. The house I have now is a regular house, with lots of sheetrock and appliances. I don't winterize but rather leave the heat set at 50. Humidity changes and cold can cause havoc and damage. Not worth it.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 06:43 PM   #15
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
... "Draining the pipes AND keeping the heat on at a low setting will probably solve both issues. The cost off the extra fuel to keep a house at a low temperature during the winter is significantly less than the cost of the repairs necessary when you try to DIY and cut corners..."
I'm mystified here.
1. If I drain the pipes (radiators, baseboards, whatever) how will I keep the heat on at 50 F?
2. If I don't drain, and keep the heat at 50F I'd guess I could easily use 300-400 gallons of oil at say $6.gallon. Let's be generous and say 150 gallons, I can get the ceiling patched/painted for les than $200.
3. If I keep the heat on, I probably have to pay somebody, or get a neighbor, to watch things to make sure the heat doesn't fail (run out of fuel?) And, what if electricity is off for several days? The pipes can freeze anyway.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 08:08 PM   #16
chachee52

I didn't see anything about it being a water leak. I know way back when the camps were being put more "modern" with sheet rock people wouldn't leave the heat on and the seams would crack more. Is this what he was patching?
If not, than your neighbor has other issues I would say if he had a professional come out and fully drain the house. Our old camp we drain each year, gravity drain only, for decades and only had a few issues and they were mainly our fault. Someone thought a valve was closed and "opened it" just to have it actually be that we closed it. Never heated, no isolation to bother, only had a heater in the last 20 years that runs maybe 3 times a year.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:14 AM   #17
Biggd

Wood expands and contracts with temperature. The bigger the temperature swing the more it will contract or expand. If you have drywall or plaster walls it can crack when unheated in the winter.
Somone mentioned $200 to repair cracks and paint, I doubt you could get someone at that price today! JMO.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:52 AM   #18
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Wood expands and contracts with temperature. The bigger the temperature swing the more it will contract or expand. If you have drywall or plaster walls it can crack when unheated in the winter.
Somone mentioned $200 to repair cracks and paint, I doubt you could get someone at that price today! JMO.
My guy hasn't changed his rates in 15 years. Yes, paint is more expensive now.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 10:00 AM   #19
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I hope you tip him well.
In Ma you have to pay a painter $200 just to show up! Most painters down here get a minimum of $300 a day plus materials and that's with just minor patch repairs.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:42 AM   #20
LikeLakes

Quote:
I'm mystified here.
1. If I drain the pipes (radiators, baseboards, whatever) how will I keep the heat on at 50 F?
2. If I don't drain, and keep the heat at 50F I'd guess I could easily use 300-400 gallons of oil at say $6.gallon. Let's be generous and say 150 gallons, I can get the ceiling patched/painted for les than $200.
3. If I keep the heat on, I probably have to pay somebody, or get a neighbor, to watch things to make sure the heat doesn't fail (run out of fuel?) And, what if electricity is off for several days? The pipes can freeze anyway.
I agree.

I think it boils down to this ... it's preferable from a structural point of view to keep heat on at a low level. The expand/contract issues of a structure that chills to zero or below in winter at times are real. But, the real world cost of heating through the winter is at a different level than just a few years ago. Like Descant said, you're burning $6 oil. I don't know of any place that can do that with less than 300 or so gallons, likely more given that our summer places are not generally well insulated. I totally get why so many people drain down rather than heat. We did for many years, only in recent years are keeping it open since more people are able to use it in winter now.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:00 AM   #21
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLakes View Post
I agree.

I think it boils down to this ... it's preferable from a structural point of view to keep heat on at a low level. The expand/contract issues of a structure that chills to zero or below in winter at times are real. But, the real world cost of heating through the winter is at a different level than just a few years ago. Like Descant said, you're burning $6 oil. I don't know of any place that can do that with less than 300 or so gallons, likely more given that our summer places are not generally well insulated. I totally get why so many people drain down rather than heat. We did for many years, only in recent years are keeping it open since more people are able to use it in winter now.
My oil Co is $4.50 a gallon and it's been dropping. Still high but not as bad as it was. I was lucky I didn't need a fill up when it was $6.00 a gallon, because of the mild fall.
I do know some people that have decided to drain and winterize for the first time because of the price.
Old 12-11-2022, 12:15 PM   #22
LikeLakes

Quote:
He should. Please encourage him to raise his rates, no reason for a contractor or handyman to be working for the same rate given how every one of his expenses has gone up.
Old 12-11-2022, 04:44 PM   #23
fatlazyless

Default $56.47 Walmart Mainstays oil filled electric space heater

This $56.47 oil filled room space heater at Walmart, a Mainstays 600-900-1500-watt heater in black or white got some very good reviews ..... http://www.hometesterclub.com/us/en/...t-space-heater from individual users, dated this year, 2022.

Check out the reviews? Are these reviews for real, or what ...... ? Sounds too good to be real reviews ..... ! Must be phony baloney fake reviews or something ......! The price is too low to be any good ......!

02/07/2021 (five stars) ...... Love this product, cold in nh ..... "I bought 4 of them when my furnace broke in nh no heat at all, these heaters actually kept us from freezing..thank you Catherine"

These oil filled room heaters combined with a 6-lb hula-hoop from Health Hoop-Korea, about $60, work together to be an excellent indoor, winter, exercise workout. The heater is small enough so you can stand over it with your two legs on both sides of this heater and then do a 15-minute hula-hoop workout while watching some youtube channel, or something. Great exercise for skiing, boarding, and life in-general because it combines heat with exercising the hips - stomach - butt ....... and lose some of that UGLY fat from around the mid-section ..... no-kidding ..... hula - hula - hula!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-12-2022 at 06:12 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote