Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-08-2023, 04:45 PM   #1
FlyingScot

Default I hate LEDs

But I finally found a decent one!

We've thrown away hundreds of dollars worth of LED replacements for incandescent bulbs over the past few years because we hated every one--too harsh, flickering, etc. We kept trying, like Charlie Brown and the football. But with the new rules on August 1, it was either go to the dark web or look around again...and I'm low on Bitcoin. Pleased to report we found one we really like through Wirecutter. The Feit Soft White Enhance 2700K, 60W. They also save lots of $ over time, with 9 watts replacing 60.

If you hate LEDs, I recommend

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FFBGD59...KFDP5SN3AT6ZK2
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 05:10 PM   #2
pondguy

My whole house I use soft white LED 60 watt uses 9 watts 800 lumens that I buy at Dollar Tree for $1.25 each. I'm very happy with them, they last and save big on my electric bill.

Last edited by pondguy; 08-09-2023 at 05:55 AM.
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 05:19 PM   #3
loony

I just bought a dual 4ft LED shop light from ocean state job lot for my workshop. It puts out so much RF (RADIO INTERFERENCE) I can't listen to the radio any more. I guess you get what you pay for.... are there better ones out there?
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 06:05 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Prime Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony View Post
I just bought a dual 4ft LED shop light from ocean state job lot for my workshop. It puts out so much RF (RADIO INTERFERENCE) I can't listen to the radio any more. I guess you get what you pay for.... are there better ones out there?
I have 8 sets of these (4 bulb fixtures) on the ceiling in my shop and they are great!! No interference with TV, radio or any other electrical equipment at all. Super efficient and instant on even in the coldest of temps…Love em!

https://www.primelights.com/collecti...pl-4srhbld88fm

Dan
Biggd (08-09-2023), FlyingScot (08-08-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 06:46 AM   #5
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Maybe you need a better radio!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2023, 07:17 AM   #6
ApS

Question Somebody Said "Better Radio?"

Quote:
I bought two strings of LED lights @$12 each. One has failed after only a couple of months!

A Smartphone could be the answer. You can tune-in to iHeart.

iHeart will tune-in AM and FM stations across the nation; maybe further? For Hawaiian music, I listen to a station in Maui! Humorous Chris Plante speaks of skulduggery (on WMAL-FM) from his hometown in Washington, DC.; and, of course, most of the Boston stations, and...

It's free!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 07:30 AM   #7
John Mercier

Certain brands of LED do put out a lot of RF.
FEIT had this problem when used with garage door openers.

For the LED failure, check the warranty information for where to get a replacement/refund. Some are direct to manufacturer, some are to retailer.
John Mercier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 08:02 AM   #8
8gv

I had some "bulbs" in my garage door opener that interfered with the remotes.

When they were replaced by another brand labeled "FCC Compliant" the problem went away.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 10:50 AM   #9
ishoot308

Default Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I had some "bulbs" in my garage door opener that interfered with the remotes.

When they were replaced by another brand labeled "FCC Compliant" the problem went away.
Same here...I inadvertently put an LED bulb in my garage door opener and it really messed it up. Door wouldn't open with the fob unless I was just a few feet from it. Once I removed the LED bulb and put in an regular incandescent, all was fine...

Dan
Descant (08-09-2023), TCC (08-10-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 11:28 AM   #10
marcucci

I've converted almost all my bulbs to LEDs and other is a lot to know about them, some of which have been pointed out. Here's a dump of thoughts.
  • All LEDs flicker but they should flicker so fast your eyes can't detect it.
  • If you see a flicker, it could be from bad wiring, a bad fixture, a bad switch, or "dirty" electricity. If they flicker everywhere in your house it's likely "dirty" electricity and you'll need a whole house filter to clean it. This happens when you run your house on a generator sometimes because generators are notorious for producing dirty electricity.
  • LEDs almost never fail, the other electrical components in the bulbs (circuits) usually fail. This is typically the difference between high-quality LED bulbs and lower-cost bulbs.
  • Understand what "color" of white you like. Lots of LEDs are like 5000K which makes your house look like a Walmart (IMO). 2700K gives that old fashion warm incandescent look. Some bulbs offer a switch to adjust the color, if you don't know what you like start with this.
  • Some older fixtures may not work with LED bulbs, so if they don't work at all it could be because of that. This is common for those old workshop, tube fluorescent fixtures.
  • Some LEDs can not be dimmed so dimmer switches won't work. Check the LED packaging to see of the LED is dimmable.
  • There is an inconsistency between the conversion from wattage to lumens between manufacturers so if one company says their 8-watt LED is like a 60-watt incandescent, producing 700 lumens, that doesn't mean that an 8-watt LED from a different company will produce 700 lumens. Check the package.

This is just some of my experience....
Boat #3: Premier Sunsation 220 Tritoon
Boating on Winnipesaukee since 1989
Vacationing on Winnipesaukee since 1975
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marcucci For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-10-2023), beagle (08-13-2023), FlyingScot (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 01:28 PM   #11
The Real BigGuy

Another thought: not all dimmers work with LEDs. I found this out when I converted to LEDs several years ago. I had the older rotary dimmer switches in a couple of rooms with several bulbs on a dimmer. When I turned them on they started to strobe but, not in unison. Nice for a disco but not great for a living area. Changed to LED compatible dimmer switches and all better.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 01:38 PM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Three way lights

One thing we discovered with 3 way LED light bulbs was that unlike old incandescent bulbs or fluorescent bulbs that go from low to medium to high, our three way LED bulbs to from high to medium to low, the opposite of what we were used to. Not a big deal, we got used to it quickly.

Dave
Old 08-09-2023, 05:47 PM   #13
ishoot308

What amazed me most was when I changed out all my bulbs is how many bulbs you actually have throughout ones home….

The savings was easily seen on our first electric bill…

Dan
Old 08-09-2023, 08:59 PM   #14
loony

maybe ill get one of thoes cassette adapters to place in my 45year old boom box...no wait a minute, my new phone doesn't have an audio jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
I bought two strings of LED lights @$12 each. One has failed after only a couple of months!

A Smartphone could be the answer. You can tune-in to iHeart.

iHeart will tune-in AM and FM stations across the nation; maybe further? For Hawaiian music, I listen to a station in Maui! Humorous Chris Plante speaks of skulduggery (on WMAL-FM) from his hometown in Washington, DC.; and, of course, most of the Boston stations, and...

It's free!
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 03:31 AM   #15
ApS

Lightbulb About $3 Dollars...

Quote:
maybe ill get one of those cassette adapters to place in my 45year old boom box...no wait a minute, my new phone doesn't have an audio jack
Adapters for headphones are available from AliExpress.

One type charges while you listen...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 11:54 AM   #16
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Same here...I inadvertently put an LED bulb in my garage door opener and it really messed it up. Door wouldn't open with the fob unless I was just a few feet from it. Once I removed the LED bulb and put in an regular incandescent, all was fine...

Dan

For the same reasons, be careful about using LED lights anywhere on your boat. The cheap ones can really interfere with a lot of electronics from the RF noise they put out. In particular VHFs, which aren't as common on Winni, but still worth being aware of.

(posting this as a general comment, not just directed only at you )
ishoot308 (08-10-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 06:09 PM   #17
Winilyme

Before LEDs, you could buy virtually any incandescent bulb and it would work fine. Over the last year, I've converted our homes in CT and in NH to almost all LED. I learned that in some cases, it takes trial-and-error. For example, recessed high hats didn't always work well with the standard Home Depot brand, flickering constantly in some situations or poor control with our many dimmers. We swapped those out with (I believe a Phillips brand) and the flickering stopped. We have two fixtures that require candelabra bulbs - 24 in total. Found some LED ones on Amazon, installed them only to have most of them fail after about two months. Got a refund and invested in another brand. Haven't lost one bulb after about six months of heavy usage.

The trial-and-error process is a pain but once you work through it, what's not to like? LED's save money and their cost is so much cheaper than just a few years ago. What I like most about them is they give off very little heat. I appreciate that in the summer especially.

Guess my biggest worry is that they won't last as long as they say they will. It's not like I'm tracking that and I'm pretty sure quite a few bulbs I purchased in the past only lasted a few years. I chalk that up to the industry still being in a learning curve.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 07:24 AM   #18
NH.Solar

If you have a string of LED lights and they suffer from flickering the problem can often be cured by replacing just one of the bulbs with an incandescent. LEDs are voltage driven whereas incandescents are much more heavily amperage driven and the increase in the current draw will stabilize the wattage flow in the string.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NH.Solar For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-11-2023), LikeLakes (08-14-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 04:37 PM   #19
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
But I finally found a decent one!

We've thrown away hundreds of dollars worth of LED replacements for incandescent bulbs over the past few years because we hated every one--too harsh, flickering, etc. We kept trying, like Charlie Brown and the football. But with the new rules on August 1, it was either go to the dark web or look around again...and I'm low on Bitcoin. Pleased to report we found one we really like through Wirecutter. The Feit Soft White Enhance 2700K, 60W. They also save lots of $ over time, with 9 watts replacing 60.

If you hate LEDs, I recommend

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FFBGD59...KFDP5SN3AT6ZK2
What is "the dark web"?
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 09:12 AM   #20
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH.Solar View Post
If you have a string of LED lights and they suffer from flickering the problem can often be cured by replacing just one of the bulbs with an incandescent. LEDs are voltage driven whereas incandescents are much more heavily amperage driven and the increase in the current draw will stabilize the wattage flow in the string.
Thanks for this, I plan to give it a try!
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 06:08 PM   #21
shifthappens

I get it—I had my fair share of LED frustrations, too. The harsh light and flickering drove me nuts. I finally stumbled upon the SURNIE LED Neon Lights—game-changer. It's like finding a needle in a haystack. I needed them to add more colour to my living room, and they are perfect. I even saw them on this cool website called Leds; they have all types of LED lights and bulbs. If you ever need more lights, you can find more information about them here, and the best part is that they describe their products so well that it's easy to understand if they are an excellent fit for you.
shifthappens is offline   Reply With Quote