Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 06:22 AM   #1
Berrycat
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 2
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Camp trusts - recommendations or advice?

Anyone have good (or bad) experience with a lawyer or fiduciary company who does trusts? Or comments on what types of trust work better for a lake house?
Berrycat is offline  
Old 04-05-2021, 07:03 AM   #2
Little Bear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 525
Thanks: 86
Thanked 204 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Joe McDonald out of Concord is excellent. https://www.mckan.com/
Little Bear is offline  
Old 04-05-2021, 07:03 AM   #3
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,479
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 240
Thanked 772 Times in 548 Posts
Default

There's a law firm in Laconia that runs ads in the LaDaSun with a very attractive lady lawyer who is a trust attorney. Just based on her looks, I would go with her. She looks like a knowing and honest lawyer ..... hut-hut-hut! Yes dear ..... that's correct .....we want to save the old family cottage and keep it as it is ...... except my no good, drunk brother is broke and just wants it sold off and split up!


To keep ye olde lake cottage from getting sold off and demolished .....
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
DotRat (04-06-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 08:27 AM   #4
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,686
Thanks: 244
Thanked 1,873 Times in 775 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrycat View Post
Anyone have good (or bad) experience with a lawyer or fiduciary company who does trusts? Or comments on what types of trust work better for a lake house?
I'm no legal expert by any stretch but I think you really want to sit yourself down with a lawyer. A fiduciary is merely an independent entity that acts or manages assets on your behalf. In the case of a trust they often times are a named trustee.

Far as your question of what will work better that will vary based on your wishes. Both a lawyer and accountant\financial advisor (if you have one) should be consulted here since there are implications to the decisions you make. These things should be tailored for your specific situation.

A good lawyer that specializes in ONLY estate planning is what you need. Stay away from the ones that do a laundry list of services from ambulance chasing to divorce to trusts and estate planning. General practitioners are just that know a little bit about a lot but are not experts on anything.

Good Luck.
MAXUM is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Berrycat (04-05-2021), FlyingScot (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 09:22 AM   #5
camp guy
Senior Member
 
camp guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: formerly Winter Harbor, still Wolfeboro
Posts: 946
Thanks: 227
Thanked 348 Times in 215 Posts
Default Trust services

Hi, Berrycat--check your PM.
camp guy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2021, 09:26 AM   #6
chasedawg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melvin village
Posts: 480
Thanks: 488
Thanked 294 Times in 136 Posts
Default A real trust attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrycat View Post
Anyone have good (or bad) experience with a lawyer or fiduciary company who does trusts? Or comments on what types of trust work better for a lake house?
Hello Berrycat,
You need a real trust attorney. Contact Donald Sienkewicz, Trust Attorney & Professional, Estate Preservation and Planning, Amherst, NH
603-554-8464
dhs@estateplannh.com

Attorney Sienkewicz main objective for his clients is not to have anything you own go through probate. He is excellent.

Good luck...
chasedawg is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
welch100 (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #7
chasedawg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melvin village
Posts: 480
Thanks: 488
Thanked 294 Times in 136 Posts
Default check out web site

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Hello Berrycat,
You need a real trust attorney. Contact Donald Sienkewicz, Trust Attorney & Professional, Estate Preservation and Planning, Amherst, NH
603-554-8464
dhs@estateplannh.com

Attorney Sienkewicz main objective for his clients is not to have anything you own go through probate. He is excellent.

Good luck...
Berrycat... check out Attorney Sienkewicz web site. He has video's that walk you through the process and introduction to what and how he protects your estate. Very thorough.

https://estateplannh.com/
chasedawg is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
welch100 (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 11:59 AM   #8
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 2,805
Thanks: 809
Thanked 1,044 Times in 651 Posts
Default Second opinion

I agree with MAXUM (#4). We established a Realty Trust in 1986. The original donors were the trustees, but 5 children and grandchildren were the shareholders. My great niece is now one of the shareholders/beneficiaries, so we are into the 4th generation.
The original intent was to keep the property in the hands of direct descendants, so an unknown third cousin in Alaska didn't intrude into ownership.
Over a thirty year period, (1986-2016) we created an endowment fund so there is no quibbling about who has to pay what percent of overhead. This is a NH trust, so it is exempt from NH Interest and Dividends tax. However the tax on capital gains in trusts can be heavy. This is where you need a CPA as much as an attorney.
In 2019, we tightened up the language so there would be no personal benefit to one beneficiary trying to force a sale, and the assets of the trust cannot be used as collateral by shareholders for personal commitments. As a realty trust we can also conduct other business, such as buying a condo boat slip to protect island access.
Summary: this is aimed at very long term goals, not just avoiding probate for one generation.
One financial advisor seminar recommended having a second attorney review the trust documents before you sign them. An hour or two fees, probably a good idea. I'd expect to pay for several hours fees to get original documents truly in line with your family needs. Emphasis on "family". The next generation should participate in the discussions. JM2CW.
Descant is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Diana (04-05-2021), welch100 (04-05-2021), Y2K (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 05:42 PM   #9
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,332
Thanks: 760
Thanked 586 Times in 353 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
However the tax on capital gains in trusts can be heavy. This is where you need a CPA as much as an attorney.
I am not an attorney or tax expert, and I agree with the others who advise that you should get both. But with that caveat--there should be no capital gains taxes in a trust unless the trust sells the house.
FlyingScot is offline  
Old 04-05-2021, 06:29 PM   #10
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,937
Thanks: 913
Thanked 864 Times in 567 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I am not an attorney or tax expert, and I agree with the others who advise that you should get both. But with that caveat--there should be no capital gains taxes in a trust unless the trust sells the house.
Correct no cap gain tax unless the asset is sold or if a beneficiary sells there share of the trust, naturally the sale in interest of the trust has to follow the guidelines as set forth in that particular trust.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline  
Old 04-06-2021, 11:02 AM   #11
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 2,805
Thanks: 809
Thanked 1,044 Times in 651 Posts
Default Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Correct no cap gain tax unless the asset is sold or if a beneficiary sells there share of the trust, naturally the sale in interest of the trust has to follow the guidelines as set forth in that particular trust.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The operating fund/endowment invests in equities, sells something with a capital gain, there may be federal tax due depending on the amount and other tax related deductions.
Descant is offline  
Old 04-06-2021, 11:37 AM   #12
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,387
Thanks: 579
Thanked 1,111 Times in 758 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Correct no cap gain tax unless the asset is sold or if a beneficiary sells there share of the trust, naturally the sale in interest of the trust has to follow the guidelines as set forth in that particular trust.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Joey, what is your gut feel? Will capital gains double this year as Biden wants?
tis is offline  
Old 04-06-2021, 11:46 AM   #13
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,937
Thanks: 913
Thanked 864 Times in 567 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Joey, what is your gut feel? Will capital gains double this year as Biden wants?
Gut feeling is that it will not get through congress. It would stifle the real estate and stock market. However I do think the rate will increase probably up to a max of 25%
joey2665 is offline  
Old 04-06-2021, 01:14 PM   #14
camp guy
Senior Member
 
camp guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: formerly Winter Harbor, still Wolfeboro
Posts: 946
Thanks: 227
Thanked 348 Times in 215 Posts
Default Trusts

Hi, Berrycat, check your PM, again (another post).
camp guy is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
DotRat (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 01:17 PM   #15
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,387
Thanks: 579
Thanked 1,111 Times in 758 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Gut feeling is that it will not get through congress. It would stifle the real estate and stock market. However I do think the rate will increase probably up to a max of 25%
I hope you are right. It will KILL the economy! Thanks for your reply.
tis is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (04-06-2021), Seaplane Pilot (04-06-2021), trfour (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 01:49 PM   #16
IrishEyes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 52
Thanks: 15
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Default Camp Trusts

Heidi Barrett-Kitchen, Attorney (specializes in Trusts)
Donahue, Tucker & Ciandella, PLLC
164 NH Route 25, Unit 2
Meredith, NH
766-6208
www.dtclawyers.com
__________________

IrishEyes
IrishEyes is offline  
Old 04-06-2021, 06:10 PM   #17
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,332
Thanks: 760
Thanked 586 Times in 353 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I hope you are right. It will KILL the economy! Thanks for your reply.
I would also be bummed if cap gains went up sharply, at least on a personal basis, and I agree increasing taxes in a vacuum slows the economy. But if we increase taxes in order to pay for roads, water, EVs, broadband, etc; those other things will drive up economic growth.
FlyingScot is offline  
Old 04-06-2021, 06:21 PM   #18
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,387
Thanks: 579
Thanked 1,111 Times in 758 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I would also be bummed if cap gains went up sharply, at least on a personal basis, and I agree increasing taxes in a vacuum slows the economy. But if we increase taxes in order to pay for roads, water, EVs, broadband, etc; those other things will drive up economic growth.
If you've heard what the bill is about, it's not much about that but about a lot of other things. As usual.
tis is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 07:24 PM   #19
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,332
Thanks: 760
Thanked 586 Times in 353 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
If you've heard what the bill is about, it's not much about that but about a lot of other things. As usual.
There's a bunch of great stuff in there that I would be glad to pay for, and some I'd probably skip, but as you said, that's always the way it is. But just on the "kill the economy" issue--if government spends the money on reasonably good stuff--like the things I mentioned or helping hungry children--it is likely to increase economic growth rather than decrease it.
FlyingScot is offline  
Old 04-07-2021, 03:49 AM   #20
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 5,246
Thanks: 1,568
Thanked 622 Times in 445 Posts
Exclamation Like Affordable Housing? Affordable Healthcare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
If you've heard what the bill is about, it's not much about that but about a lot of other things. As usual.
Ignore IRS mailings that your property will be confiscated.
https://nypost.com/2021/04/06/irs-se...yers-property/
ApS is offline  
Old 04-07-2021, 04:26 AM   #21
Seaplane Pilot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,058
Thanks: 503
Thanked 799 Times in 299 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
There's a bunch of great stuff in there that I would be glad to pay for, and some I'd probably skip, but as you said, that's always the way it is. But just on the "kill the economy" issue--if government spends the money on reasonably good stuff--like the things I mentioned or helping hungry children--it is likely to increase economic growth rather than decrease it.
Let’s start with cutting wasteful, nonsensical foreign aid, which will result in plenty of money to feed hungry children in the USA. Enough is enough.
Seaplane Pilot is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (04-07-2021), Wentworth06 (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 08:13 AM   #22
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,387
Thanks: 579
Thanked 1,111 Times in 758 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Letís start with cutting wasteful, nonsensical foreign aid, which will result in plenty of money to feed hungry children in the USA. Enough is enough.

Oh but the latest is Biden wants us to pay a global tax to support other countries. Nothing new but being brought up again. We seem to pay for the rest of the world but not ourselves.
tis is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 10:28 AM   #23
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,332
Thanks: 760
Thanked 586 Times in 353 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Oh but the latest is Biden wants us to pay a global tax to support other countries. Nothing new but being brought up again. We seem to pay for the rest of the world but not ourselves.
No--this is the exact opposite of what the global minimum tax would do. Today US multinationals use accounting tricks to shift profits to places such as Ireland where there is a lower tax rate. In these cases Ireland is pulling tax dollars from us. A minimum tax and other changes such as Biden is proposing would pull international tax dollars back into the US.

Bristol Myers is a great example of the types abuses Biden is trying to stop: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/01/b...taxes-irs.html
FlyingScot is offline  
Old 04-07-2021, 11:13 AM   #24
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 2,805
Thanks: 809
Thanked 1,044 Times in 651 Posts
Default adrift

1. This has nothing to do with OP topic
2. Getting right on the edge of political here--one foot already off the curb.
Descant is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
tummyman (04-07-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 03:38 AM   #25
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 5,246
Thanks: 1,568
Thanked 622 Times in 445 Posts
Arrow "Topic" Wore Out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
1. This has nothing to do with OP topic
2. Getting right on the edge of political here--one foot already off the curb.
To paraphrase my own favorite response:

Quote:
"Sometimes, POLITICS finds you!"
https://www-dailymail-co-uk.cdn.ampp...ople-only.html
ApS is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 1.10208 seconds