Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2020, 09:19 AM   #1
Cappy

Default Moultonborough Bay Boating + Area Suggestions

Hello Forum,
New to forum and looking to hear insight from others. First, I'm an experienced boater, mostly ocean, but do know my lake navigational markers. Last year, we did rent a house on Governors Island, rented 25' Pontoon boat for a few days and had great time. In August 2021, we have reservations for a house rental on the lake just north of Moultonborough bay, on the other side of Clark's Landing. We will rent a 25' pontoon for the week and dock at the house, to use during daylight hours. Cruising, relaxing, and kids tubing/skiing. I've purchased the Bizer map and aware of the Navionics app. I love to prepare (and read/learn from others experience), hence joining and posting!

QUESTIONS:
1. I'm aware of the hazards in the area, especially around Chases island. I'm wondering if allowed to ski/tube in Moultonborough bay? I assume so. Any suggested area/side of the body of water? I'm really hoping feasible/allowed as would rather not make the trip every day to the larger area of the lake for that.
2. Approx how long does it take (25' pontoon, 200HP so it can get up to speed if navigation allows) to boat from Clark Landing area to the large part of the lake (the Broads I guess)?
3. Anything north of Clark Landing that we'd want to boat to? I know it may get even more navigational hazardous up there. Let's all hope COVID impact reduces by next summer, but ideally would like to boat to some form of an eatery (even if basic) to have kids hop off, grab ice cream, basic lunch, and maybe a supply or two if needed).

PS: Please by kind...I'm a new poster and not versed in posting technique
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Welccome

Welcome to the Forum.
It's a big bay, bigger than many lakes, depending on where you think the boundaries are.
From Chases Point you can go south past the Barber's Pole and be in the Broads in just a few minutes. (The Barber's Pole used to be a pole in the water, something like you see in Venice. That's gone, but there is a Barber's Pole on a boathouse near the south end of that passage.) You can ski and tube almost anywhere, but common sense says don't do it in passage ways. You will see many without common sense, of course.
Have fun.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Cappy (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

There is plenty of open areas in MB to ski and tube, just be aware of the navigational pinch points and try to keep out of the way of those as not to obstruct pass through traffic. Weekdays, especially early morning or later in the evening when it's calm will be your best bet to get out there and enjoy some fun. Weekends it's hit or miss, mostly miss as it is a little more busy.

Have fun and be safe!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Cappy (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 12:39 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

1. I think where to tube depends on age/aggressiveness. If you want aggressive, the main section of MB is great. For a bit less so, head towards Camp Tecumseh or the section just outside of Langdon Cove. For calmer stuff, you might try by Little Ganzey Island or, for even calmer, just outside Hanson Cove. The latter two are especially good later in the day. Do abide by the above posters' requests to avoid tubing through/near channels/narrows. Also, please don't be "that guy" and burn through Smith Cove with a tube as I don't want to be tossed from my slumber on Jettie One.

2. Fifteen minutes to the open lake. 30-40 to Wolfeboro, 30 to West Alton Sandbar, 45 to Weirs. All rough estimates with some (short) time to slow here and there for close traffic, sightseeing, or grabbing a refill (of orange soda, of course).

3. Yes. You should check out Blanchard Island and the Jumping Rock, sunset over Red Hill (from Little Ganzey), Greene's Basin and Lee's Mills, and Buzzel Cove (just south of where you'll be). All of those spots will/should provide solid loon sightings and great places to anchor out. Avoid Hanson Cove, though–those people are jerks and there's nothing to see down there. At all. Ever.

4. From Clark's, you could be to 19-Mile Bay in less than half an hour for ice cream, pizza, chicken. You could be to three sandbars in less than 30 minutes, the best one in half an hour, the closest in ten minutes; Pop's or Dockside seafood in Alton; etc. etc. It's a GREAT location to stay at.

There are hazards in the area, for sure, but a good nav system, backup chart, and diligence will keep you from harm.

Feel free to PM me for more specifics in that area.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Cappy (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 09:19 PM   #5
gillygirl

The big, open area from Buzzel Cove to Garnet Point is an excellent area for water sports. Concussed our niece in that area years ago, and there was little traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Cappy (10-27-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2020, 07:59 AM   #6
Cappy

Default Thank you / Excellent insight

Thank you to the members who provided responses and insight. Really appreciate it. Of course I'll welcome additional as well. Grateful for the nice folks on this forum.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:46 AM   #7
BoatHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Avoid Hanson Cove, though–those people are jerks and there's nothing to see down there. At all. Ever.

Haha

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...66&postcount=3

Used to love camping at Arcadia in Hansons cove every Labor day weekend
BoatHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BoatHouse For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 01:09 PM   #8
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatHouse View Post
Haha

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...66&postcount=3

Used to love camping at Arcadia in Hansons cove every Labor day weekend
Our first camp, from when I was seven until I was 12 years old, we lived in the last house in Hanson Cove, the one with the boathouse. I loved it there.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (10-28-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 09:11 PM   #9
Juiced06GTO

Do a quick search on my posts, we have vacationed in that area a few times now and I put together a run down of some of the trips we made from Buzzle's Cove. It is by far my favorite part of the lake and gives a nice reprieve from the craziness of other parts of the lake.

I was pretty nervous my first time navigating that area, but a good chartplotter/navionics app, and studying the bizer chart will put you at ease. I plotted out my plan on the bizer before going out so I had an idea of what to look for. I also went out with just myself and a buddy at 5am and scouted the area out so I could study the area without having to worry about everyone else on the boat distracting us, plus the lake is like glass then and absolutely beautiful that early in the morning.
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Juiced06GTO For This Useful Post:
Cappy (10-28-2020)