Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
thatleslie

Default Are there really moose around here?

I just moved to the area, and everyone keeps asking me if I've seen any moose yet? I'm in Laconia, and people tell me they have seen moose around our property before. Anybody know where the moose hang out? Thanks!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Formula

Default Moultonborough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatleslie View Post
I just moved to the area, and everyone keeps asking me if I've seen any moose yet? I'm in Laconia, and people tell me they have seen moose around our property before. Anybody know where the moose hang out? Thanks!
In Moultonborough i have seen a few over the past 7 years but they are far and few between. My guess is that on the island is most likely the problem. Although 2 years ago I saw two mooses (or is it mices) swim from Sandy over to Long Island and hang around all day.
I have seen more black bear in the last two years than moose.
Keep looking!
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Shreddy

Default moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula View Post
In Moultonborough i have seen a few over the past 7 years but they are far and few between. My guess is that on the island is most likely the problem. Although 2 years ago I saw two mooses (or is it mices) swim from Sandy over to Long Island and hang around all day.
I have seen more black bear in the last two years than moose.
Keep looking!
It's moose (for plural)
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Lakegeezer

There used to be lots of moose sightings around Moultonborough, but a few years ago they started to play in traffic and now the population seems dwindled. I saw one last year along Moultonborough Neck Rd, but sightings are few and far between.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
AC2717

oh yes we have photos of a very large one playing with the mooring balls and walking around the cottage assoc. last year. It was beautiful
Old 01-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default Mooses come walking

OK, I know the plural is moose but I can still hear Arlo Guthrie singing "When mooses come walking". http://www.arlo.net/resources/lyrics/mooses-walk.shtml

Anyway here is a photo of two straggly looking springtime moose looking into our back window in West Alton.
Attached Images

Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
Sunrise Point

I saw a young one in Meredith at the intersection of Chemung and Weed Rd. last spring. It was around 5:45 AM.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
Pepper

Wink in Lakeport ...

I've lived here for nearly twenty years, and for the first fourteen years, I never saw a moose. Now this was not for trying, particularly because family from elsewhere in the country were perpetually asking "have you seen a moose yet?????"

In my early years here in NH, I was employed as an "outside salesperson" and was privileged to travel the back-roads of this fine state, from the Manchester area all the way up the 93 corridor to the Canadian Border. As I would drive through areas like Colebrook, Bethlehem, Twin Mountain, Franconia, Campton, Rumney, Pittsburg, Littleton, Sugar Hill, etc, I kept my eyes peeled, always searching for the ever-elusive moose. During those years I was treated to literally thousands of sightings of wonderful NH wildlife! I saw countless deer of course, as well as lots of foxes, both red and grey. I saw Ospreys, Eagles, Kingfishers and Herons. I sat on a tree-stump eating lunch with a friend at the reservoir in Littleton, and she assured me if I was ever going to see a moose it was going to happen right there that very day. We saw a porcupine instead.

After a number of years had gone by, I was convinced I would never see a moose, and resigned myself to take delight in the wonderful sights I was treated to on a daily basis. Eventually, I forgot all about the moose, and my family quit asking. Thank heavens - I didn't need all that added stress!

So, one fine spring day I was sitting in traffic on Union Avenue, and after a while it occurred to me that I'd been sitting in the same spot for quite a while. I must have been deep in thought, because suddenly I realized there were lots of people coming out of the various houses and businesses alongside of where I sat. They were all looking across the street, and talking in an excited way. Curious, I started looking in the direction they were all looking, and to my complete shock saw a moose ambling along the parking lot of a small office cluster. HOLY COW! A MOOSE! ON UNION AVENUE!!!!! I could hardly contain myself, and hatched a plan. After realizing there were no cars coming the other way, I pulled a highly illegal u-turn, and pulled into the lot at Belknap Tire. I watched said moose wander into their lot, and then head into the woods. Feeling like a child who's just stumbled upon Santa Clause, I recklessly followed, and spotted the moose crossing the railroad tracks below, and climbing the hill on the other side. Dang it!

As I got back into the car I realized there was a bridge a few hundred yards away, and quickly drove over it, and into the back lot of what is now the Inn at Opechee. There she is, just strolling leisurely through the lot, stopping here and there to munch some berries, and once to sniff the door of an SUV. I was transfixed. So much so, that I got out of my car and started following her. Around the building we went. Folks started pouring out of their offices in that building, equally mesmerized. Before long there was a small parade of us, drunk at the sight of a moose, doing our best to maintain a respectful distance while keeping her in our sight. Alas, she either tired of the attention, or felt like a swim, because she walked up to a wooden fence, peered into the distance toward the Madiera building, and then simply pushed the fence over, and proceeded toward the lake. I continued watching as she swam across Lake Opechee, emerging on the lawn at Madiera, and became lost among the cars in their parking lot.

My heart still beats fast when I remember this wonderful, blessed day when at last I feasted my eyes upon a moose. That was about six years ago, and I've yet to see another. No matter, because once you've seen one you never forget.

Patience my friend. It's worth the wait.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

We have seen them twice swimming in front of our house. We have also seen them a maybe five times in the woods over the years.. I remember the first time I saw one I screamed that I had just seen the biggest horse I ever saw run through the woods! I just saw his hind end and didn't realize it was a moose until I was told!!!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
ARV

Thumbs up Ya, we got 'em!

Lived in this area my whole life and yes, we have moose!!! I was brought up in Laconia, but on the Gilford side - always had moose in the back yard! Now live down 109 in Moultonborough and yes, they are here too!!! Scared my DD 1/2 to death when we had one in the driveway last summer!
ARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
old coot
Deceased Member

Default Mooses Come Walking

Mooses Come Walking

by Arlo Guthrie

Mooses come walking over the hill
Mooses come walking, they rarely stand still
When mooses come walking they go where they will
When mooses come walking over the hill
Mooses look into your window at night
They look to the left and they look to the right
The mooses are smiling, they think it's a zoo
And that's why the mooses like looking at you
So, if you see mooses while lying in bed
It's best to just stay there pretending you're dead
The mooses will leave and you'll get the thrill
Of seeing the mooses go over the hill
©1993 Arloco Music, Inc. (ASCAP)
old coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
Jonas Pilot

Default Wonderful post Pepper!

Pepper,
Thanks for taking the time to write such a wonderful post. You captured the joy and excitement of one of those special wildlife moments.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I live off RT 109 as well and almost hit one at about 6:30 in the morning......On my Harley...

The damn thing never budged. Just stood there looking at me coming at him.
good thing I was actually doing the speed limit and was able to stop. After a minute or two looking at me, it just sauntered into the low brush along side the road. I now look very carefully along the roadside when I am on my bike in that area.

I believe they walk down the Snowmobile trails as well, because I saw some very large tracks a few weeks ago after the first snow. Of course it could have been a behemoth Buck.

Moose have very bad eyesight and the young ones are very inquisitive. Almost friendly. But be careful if one starts to come up to you......

This has to be one of the best moose videos I have seen. The hunter does not shoot by the way. Can you imagine.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bHMUV2sFL0
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
TomC

Default i have seen one

In Moultonborough where the power lines cross Shaker Jerry (near Wentworth Shores)
TomC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #15
angela4design

The last one that I saw was on Parade Road, by the Pease junction around 7:30am. I recall, when I lived in Laconia many years ago, we found that a moose had wandered through the garden. That moose was later spotted - and photographed by the local paper -in the vacinity of the Laconia Train Station.

I understand that dawn and dusk are prime times for seeing them. Is that a myth, or is there truth to it?
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
Pepper

Lakesrider - thanks for that link! I found another one that just brought a great big smile ... click and enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNy9jTeolUk&feature=fvw

PS - the song playing in the background is wonderful, too.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #17
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
Pepper,
Thanks for taking the time to write such a wonderful post. You captured the joy and excitement of one of those special wildlife moments.
It was my pleasure, truly, to re-live that moment all over again.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #18
fatlazyless

RT 49 Waterville Valley and Thornton get moose in April, May & June that hang out by the roadside and lick up the leftover road salt. I know of a Camry, a Taurus, and a police Crown Vic that all got totalled by roof smash-ins. Score: Moose 3 - Humans 0.

One night last May, I sped past two moose, a biggy and a little one, while going 50-mph by about 10 feet. They were standing on the other side of the center line as I went right by..........yikes! Moose = high beam driving cause when you hit one, you'll definately know it!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #19
trfour

Default Oh, And Yes...

Some friends and I were returning to Paugus Bay after a day ride up to the summit of Mount Shaw. We always included as a part of our days journey to enjoy the sunset. It was after dark when we exited the Lake from Gilford shore and rode over to Patrick's for dinner, then on down the trail along Rte 11 to cross Lily Pond and pick up the power lines back to camp.
Now after dark, if there happens to be any moose around, they love to use these quiet times to utilize the snomobile trails as it's smooch easier for them to travel, as opposed to hoofing it out in the deep snow out in the woods, and also become more aware of whom has "The Right Of Way"!, so to speak.
Not my intention to/or, the Biggest Moose that I ever saw, but he was right there on the power lines in front of us! He got his right of way, seemed to take us forever to get to the camp that night, Oh yes and we did!

Terry

Best Writers Of Our Time. Pepper, Jane Austen.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:24 AM   #20
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
RT 49 Waterville Valley and Thornton get moose in April, May & June that hang out by the roadside and lick up the leftover road salt. I know of a Camry, a Taurus, and a police Crown Vic that all got totalled by roof smash-ins. Score: Moose 3 - Humans 0.

One night last May, I sped past two moose, a biggy and a little one, while going 50-mph by about 10 feet. They were standing on the other side of the center line as I went right by..........yikes! Moose = high beam driving cause when you hit one, you'll definately know it!
I see moose in Moultonborough on occasion. About 15 years ago I saw two moose on our property in Green's Basin. The two of them jumped into the water and swam across the basin to the land on the other side. It was very exciting to watch!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:51 AM   #21
trfour

Default Just To Let Everyone Know...

Oh Ya, and get over it. Moose tracks have been here since years. Now, after the last Ice Age, I caught Fll on radar doing over 50.
Our comforter level to keep us warm at the time was down filled.

Today, 2010? I will tell you this, he is no mosquito, although an eye on China...

Way past time to wake up! Folks! And he is more in tuned here with what we would hope is on the way!

If we should lose the battle, argue you're point to the very last, but also remember that our chance in life comes to each and everyone of us through looking out for one and all.

I don't know about y'all, and please forgive me for my rant, 'The death And Destruction Devastation in Haiti doe's not set very well with me'.

Knowing that none of us got here alone, pitch in, it very well could make a difference.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 01-20-2010, 08:02 AM   #22
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
Oh Ya, and get over it. Moose tracks have been here since years. Now, after the last Ice Age, I caught Fll on radar doing over 50.

Today, 2010? I will tell you this, he is no mosquito, although an eye on China...

Way past time to wake up! Folks! And he is more in tuned here with what we would hope is on the way!

If we should lose the battle, argue you're point to the very last, but also remember that our chance in life comes to each and everyone of us through looking out for one and all.

I don't know about y'all, and please forgive me for my rant, 'The death And Destruction Devastation in Haiti doe's not set very well with me'.

Knowing that none of us got here alone, pitch in, it very well could make a difference.
This has to be the most confusing post I have ever read...on any forum!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #23
DRH

Default Saw One Last Summer

A friend and I saw a half-grown moose on Woodlands Rd. in West Alton early last summer. When we saw it we stopped to watch and it walked within about 25 feet of us, not showing any fear. It then walked into the swamp next to the road. Neither of us had a camera or cell phone at the time to snap a picture.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:59 AM   #24
Tiger Lilly

I know what you mean! I have spent every summer of my life, except one, in NH for at least a little while and I have yet to see a moose! Very frustrating. However, on the hike to Mt. Shaw, I saw the biggest pile of poops I have ever seen in my life!! Truly impressive!! So I know they are around!
Tiger Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #25
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
No kidding?????

I will not go into details as not everyone shares my views on this, but after 21 years of trying my father finally recieved the honor of having a 2009 moose permit in NH. This was truly the hunt of a lifetime for him, even after an Elk hunt in Colorado we did in 2008, we have always lived here so it has always been something viewed at a distance. Anyway, we learned quite a bit about moose this last year and we saw two bulls, three cows and one calf in the week prior to the season as well as the first three days. I will share some of what we learned, but I will tell you that once you are aware of this information if you go out into the woods looking for this sign, you will not believe the opportunities to see moose you will be granted.

Moose actually do not wander around without any real purpose, but they do cover a lot of ground. Moose in NH have a home range of 25 square miles, the bulls will expand on this starting in September as they start looking for a date to the foliage tour in October. Moose live primarily in deciduous forests, but will travel through the conifers to feeding and bedding areas. You want to find relatively isolated areas of these trees that are within close proximity to a water source, they will also spend a lot of time in log cuttings that are ten years old and newer. The saplings are the perfect height for eating the buds and tips of the branches (main moose diet). They also travel in groups during the fall, small bulls will band together and larger bulls that have found a date will stick by her side, the cow will almost always enter first so if it is September or later and you see a cow, hold tight you may be rewarded with her boyfriend as well. Be patient while traveling through areas of dense sign, very slow quite movement, with an open eye. Do not get into the habit of keeping your head down, you will miss a lot in the woods this way. Moose actually do have really good eye sight (I was spotted by a group of three that I saw at the same time at a distance of well over 300 yards) their hearing is even better, so be quite be patient and you will see something. Also as you walk through the woods you may come across an area that the trees are rubbed up. Keep an eye out because when you see one you will see more. Deer do this as well, but a deer will not typically rub a tree that is larger than 3" in diameter, moose will go much larger than that and the rubs will be higher than 3' off the ground, deer are typically 1'-4' off the ground.

Moose tracks are easy to tell apart once you know what to look for. A calf track is obviously smaller, but calves will run with their mothers for almost 1 1/2 years before heading out, so these tracks typically come with another set, slightly larger. A cows track will be between 3-4" wide and up to 6" long, pointed toes, very clean looking track, same for a calf. A bull track will start in the same size range and can go up to 6" wide and 10" long (one we came across was wider and longer than a size twelve boot minus the heal of the boot, HUGE) but the toes will be slightly rounder than a cows. Moose have two forward toes and two dew points, when I say rounded I am talking about the absolute tips of the forward toes. Bulls will also be more splayed out than a cow, unless she has seen many moons.

The area that we were in was well away from any main road and secondary road for that matter. When you see a moose grazing up near a roadway they are in fact doing what FLL stated, enjoying the salt rich soils, water and plants. Moose are most active during the hours just prior to sunrise and starting around dusk, they are huge animals that put out quite a bit of heat, they lay low in the swamps under the canopy of the trees during the height of the day to keep from getting to hot.

Since I received this information on where to look for actual moose habitat I have increased my awareness of them by a leap. In 2009 alone I saw, 6 bulls, 15 cows and 10 calves. And yes I keep these records so that I can pass the information along to Fish and Game as apart of the monitoring of the herd in NH. All the areas I saw these animals in was from Unit G and J2, south and directly west of the Lakes Region. Your probability gets higher the further north you go, but get away from the main roads and you will have far better luck than the pavement pounders with their spotlights.

Anyway good luck, hope to see you out in forest.

Last edited by jmen24; 01-20-2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Forgot a big chunk of information
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #26
fatlazyless

Moose pretty much seem to have no fear of a car, except loud noise like a honking car horn which will usually get one to run along if it was blocking the road.

There's a springtime mud hole right next to the WV ski area road where they always always go to lick the salty mud in April. You can get as close as you want by approaching down the hill on a quiet bicycle. When the big moose hears a bicycle click, it will get startled just like a deer and jump up fast and give you a hard look-see.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #27
SIKSUKR

Default You might not want to see them

The scariest thing you will ever see is moose run in front of you at night. Those pants were thrown right in the garbage. Nuff said.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #28
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
The scariest thing you will ever see is moose run in front of you at night.Those pants were thrown right in the garbage.Nuff said.
So true, definately not the preferred method of finding a moose. Having one come running out of a thicket while you are calling to them is not that great either, no car for protection.

FLL, the salt rich mud holes you speak of actually maintain that saltyness all year. That is why it is illegal to harvest a moose anywhere near a paved road. But they are good locals to see a moose while driving in your vehicle.

Just don't spend all your time looking into the woods as you drive along, you may end up in the woods if you are driving and if a passenger you will get sick (I think we all learned that one as a kid ).
Old 01-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #29
parrothead

Default Moose in Sachem Cove

We had a moose looking in our family room window one morning. Gave my Stepmother quite a fright as it took up most of the window. Also saw a moose swim across the lake from the Long Island area to Bear Island a few years ago. It is mazing how fast they can swim.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #30
Gearhead

Default Stream of Unconsciousness?

Quote:

You know that sleeping medicine that makes people sometimes get up in the middle of the night and bake cookies, etc. When they get up they can't figure out where they came from? Look at the time stamp.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #31
Lucky1

I had a moose walk down my driveway. It walked around a bit and then walked into the lake and swam out of sight. I hate to think of it being moose antlers on a mantle somewhere. It was such a majestic sight.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #32
KBoater

Default moose thoughts

My first encounter with a moose was in Effingham in the woods when I was young. I was walking with my brother and looked up to see this BIG thing looking at us. We panicked and started to run back to the road and car. The moose decided to chase us. We made it to the car and the moose stopped on the road and just looked at us. We ducked down below the window and prayed. Eventually my mother knocked on the windows to let her in. (We had locked the car so the moose wouldn’t get in??) Mom was on the other side of the road talking to other folks and we had wandered off. We got quite a lecture about wandering off.
The next time was as an adult in Wolfeboro when we had a wandering moose downtown. He walked across Brewster fields to the water.
Another time was on Wolfeboro Neck right after the roads for Wolfeboro Estates were cut into the woods. Right next to the still dirt road were some cut king pine trees and the moose was next to the tree. He looked like he was crying and sad that he was losing his favorite tree.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #33
steadyon

I saw one yesterday, crossing litle squam on the snow mobile trail. sure wish I had my camera!
I think they can be just about anywhere.
steadyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #34
nj2nh

Default 49 summers and counting

Never once have I seen a moose, not in all of my 49 years spent summering on the shores of the lake.

I drive north at the appropriate times - nada.

I stay home and read about them on this forum - nothing do I see.

I am convinced that moose do not exist. They are a creation of the tourist bureau. Those pictures that people post have been altered in Photoshop or some other photo program to add creatures of some artist's imagination.

Sure, they look real, but since I have never seen one with my own two eyes, I refuse to believe. And, hey, I believe in Santa!

nj2nh

P.S. I didn't see one when we vacationed in Alaska last summer either. Further proof of their nonexistance.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #35
Just Sold

Default My First Moose Encounter

In 1991 I was living in Atkinson, NH and finishing my basement. One night I went to get some fresh air and went out the basement slider and there just a few feet away from me was a large Moose. I looked up said "Hi" and it grunted and turned away and went into the woods. Quite tall especially when it is only 6 or 7 feet away from you.
It was mating season and they can be tempermental during that time so I was lucky it did not charge me.
This Moose had been heard out in the woods for a few days prior. I had heard it crashing around and through the brush as it wandered. There is a brook and large marsh 100' or so through the woods.

Last edited by Just Sold; 01-21-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #36
Newbiesaukee

Default nj2nh....

My stepson has the same reaction as you. He believes that moose are a creation of the tourist industry and are in the same category as Bigfoot. Even after seeing the butt-end of one off of Bean Road and even after I showed him a photo I took of one off of the Kank, he still is a moose denier maintaining either they are Photoshopped or are mechanical. Some folks just won't believe what they choose not to.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #37
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
We had a moose looking in our family room window one morning. Gave my Stepmother quite a fright as it took up most of the window. Also saw a moose swim across the lake from the Long Island area to Bear Island a few years ago. It is mazing how fast they can swim.
As I noted earlier they do look in windows.

by Arlo Guthrie
Mooses come walking over the hill
Mooses come walking, they rarely stand still
When mooses come walking they go where they will
When mooses come walking over the hill

Mooses look into your window at night
They look to the left and they look to the right
The mooses are smiling, they think it's a zoo
And that's why the mooses like looking at you

So, if you see mooses while lying in bed
It's best to just stay there pretending you're dead
The mooses will leave and you'll get the thrill
Of seeing the mooses go over the hill
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #38
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So here is the thing, it when your looking for a moose that you are never going to see one at least that is my opinion. I have seen them twice in my life.... oops nope make that three times....

encounter one.... I saw a calf one day driving down the road there was a little mud hole off to the side, with all kinds of good eating stuff growing out off it, as I drove by I notice a rather large creature that I didn't recognize at first. So I pulled over grabbed my camera and went back for a look see. There was the little moose in all his glory munching away... never saw momma but I also wasn't going to get really investigative like and end up pissing her off, so after a few minutes, I decided momma was hidding, and I was going to get the heck out of there. Beleive it or not this was off of 104 in Meredith

encounter two --- I was traveling throught he notich in Vermont between Smuggs and Stowe with some drunk buddies one day... doing the DD thing. When traffic slowwed down... wondering what the hell was going one, we hymed and hawed, until we rounded the bend and saw mom and calf hoping over the guard rail and down the enbankment, out of sight....

encounter three --- well this was a holy %^$! momment, I was comming out of the white mountians right by Lost River when the dam big bull jumped out onto the road, I swerved with my heart pumping looking right at its chest, and appearently hit some part of it with my side view mirror as it folded in... skidded down the gravel and popped out on the pavement again.... Now I drive a 4X4 so If I was looking at its chest that gives you an indication of size. I used one of those nice little turn outs that night.... cought my breath.... checked my shorts.... then proceeded into McDonalds and grabbed a coke, which I don't think I drank, while I tried to stop shaking. It wasn't till the next morning I realized the side mirror was folded in....

The moose are out there, and they are there when you least expect them, and sometimes when you really don't want to see them......
Old 01-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #39
wifi

Here is a moose that just happened to be strolling by the cam November 2008 as it was snapping a picture:

I tried to enhance the image to make it more visible:
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #40
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
encounter one.... I saw a calf one day driving down the road
First you want us to believe they exist, and then you expect us to add that they can drive too???!!!

(my wife has been looking for 15+ years... not one yet)
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #41
GFP

Default To nj2nh

I have to agree. I have made it my quest since 1968 to see a moose, and it has not happened. I have come to believe that they are fictional creatures like unicorns, and everyone who tells of seeing one is just playing a practical joke on me.
GFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #42
trfour

Post Moose More And Plentyful In This Area...

Than some may think. Plenty in the wetlands area on Rte 106 near the entrance to Mitchell's sand pit.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #43
jmen24

To anyone that is interested in putting the time in and would like to break the curse, send me a PM and I will go find you a real live moose. It will be a very early morning thing, so set the alarm and wear good boots, cause we will be a walkin'. Winter, spring or summer, let me know, I will not do this in the fall as I am farely busy then, work and otherwise.

I will even scout habitat near you, if that is more to your liking.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #44
Weirs guy

the area around Sanbornton/Chemung/New Hampton is full of swamp donkeys. much like SIKSUKR i had the "privilege" of meeting one on i-93 last fall in the pre-dawn light, and needed a change myself! when i was a kid there was one that liked to sneak up on people in sanbornton, one person was taking a nap under a tree and woke up to a big surprise standing over him!

find a swamp in that area and set up a watching spot, shouldn't take too long.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #45
Living the Dream

Yes there are moooooosssse in Laconia. Seen one in South Down. They're also in the state forest that runs along SD. Plenty of tracks if you hike back there. Best time to see them is in the early morning or at sunset. Or you can drive up to the Kanc. Plenty up there!!!
Living the Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #46
trfour

Default Please forgive my rant chipj29...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post

Haven't been myself lately, watching all of the saddening news coming from Haiti.
They really need our support and I was very happy to see the link posted today by Webmaster Don. Let us help in any way that we can.

Terry

Not The Servers Fault. Keys Up!

żsɹǝʌɹǝs ʍǝu ǝɥʇ ɥʇıʍ op oʇ ƃuıɥʇʎuɐ ǝʌɐɥ sıɥʇ pןnoɔ ˙ʍou ʇsod ı uǝɥʍ ɯǝןqoɹd ɐ ǝʌɐɥ oʇ ɹɐǝddɐ ı

Old 01-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #47
fatnoah

Pepper,

Your Laconia moose story is very similar to mine. Once year my parents and I spent a week in the Colebrook area and spent a bit of time moose-watching, but we didn't see any moose. Back home on Highland Street a week later, we opened the shades in the living room early one weekday morning and there was a moose strolling down the street!
fatnoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:18 AM   #48
chipj29

Quote:
Haven't been myself lately, watching all of the saddening news coming from Haiti.
They really need our support and I was very happy to see the link posted today by Webmaster Don. Let us help in any way that we can.

Terry
It's all good Terry.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:17 AM   #49
coltgov101

Default Moose in N.H.

For those of you that don't know me I spent 40 plus summers in N.H. I remember driving home from a date, it was late, about 1am, I believe I was around Melvin Village area when I saw a huge horse just off the road, I slowed knowing that if I struck it would kill me as well as him. I was amased to see huge antlers that were hidden in the tree branches he was standing under. Thus my first moose and last, as I never saw one again.
coltgov101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:49 AM   #50
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Ha! Did you read my post, colt? I, too thought the first moose I ever saw was a horse! It was about 30 years ago and I saw his rear end as he was running away into the woods, but WAS HE BIG! I am glad I am not the only one to think it was a horse at first!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:32 AM   #51
Irrigation Guy

Love this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNy9jTeolUk
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:27 PM   #52
nj2nh

Default Never Gonna Happen

You all can tell me all you want that moose exist, but I won't believe it until I see one.

Seeing a moose in on my bucket list. Good thing I still have some years in me yet although we are at 49 years without a moose and counting.

nj2nh

P.S. That picture of a moose on Cannon Mountain is all the proof I need to substatiate my claim that they are either UFO's or photoshopped!
Old 01-31-2010, 07:40 PM   #53
lawn psycho

I have seen several on my lot.

One made me ruin a pair of underwear I walked out of my garage and he was standing right in the driveway about 10 feet from me. Looked right at me and then walked into the woods and you could hear the branches cracking as he continued on his way.

Have no doubt, they exist
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #54
nj2nh

I don't really doubt the existance of moose (although my husband does).

I do doubt, however, that I will ever see one. I don't think they get down to Echo Point too often and we are never in the right place at the right time to see them.

We have had deer in our yard for a few months now, down here in Jersey, but I have yet to see one and I look out the backyard ALL THE TIME. Nothing.

Clearly, I am cursed.

nj2nh
Old 02-01-2010, 05:09 AM   #55
ApS

Wink Not-Forgotten Moose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
"...My heart still beats fast when I remember this wonderful, blessed day when at last I feasted my eyes upon a moose. That was about six years ago, and I've yet to see another.

No matter, because once you've seen one you never forget..."
True enough...I've seen three since 1993. On two occasions, they were swimming along "unconcernedly". The third could've looked across my porch—about 10' above ground level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
"...The moose are out there, and they are there when you least expect them, and sometimes when you really don't want to see them..."
Some are more easily remembered than others...

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:31 AM   #56
coltgov101

Default Parrothead

Just curious, I grew up in Sachem Cove, I spent every summer there from 1952 to 1986. We were on Sachem Cove Rd. Just wondered if I knew you or if we were neighbors?
coltgov101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #57
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks for the Insight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
No kidding?????

I will not go into details as not everyone shares my views on this, but after 21 years of trying my father finally recieved the honor of having a 2009 moose permit in NH. This was truly the hunt of a lifetime for him, even after an Elk hunt in Colorado we did in 2008, we have always lived here so it has always been something viewed at a distance. Anyway, we learned quite a bit about moose this last year and we saw two bulls, three cows and one calf in the week prior to the season as well as the first three days. I will share some of what we learned, but I will tell you that once you are aware of this information if you go out into the woods looking for this sign, you will not believe the opportunities to see moose you will be granted.

Moose actually do not wander around without any real purpose, but they do cover a lot of ground. Moose in NH have a home range of 25 square miles, the bulls will expand on this starting in September as they start looking for a date to the foliage tour in October. Moose live primarily in deciduous forests, but will travel through the conifers to feeding and bedding areas. You want to find relatively isolated areas of these trees that are within close proximity to a water source, they will also spend a lot of time in log cuttings that are ten years old and newer. The saplings are the perfect height for eating the buds and tips of the branches (main moose diet). They also travel in groups during the fall, small bulls will band together and larger bulls that have found a date will stick by her side, the cow will almost always enter first so if it is September or later and you see a cow, hold tight you may be rewarded with her boyfriend as well. Be patient while traveling through areas of dense sign, very slow quite movement, with an open eye. Do not get into the habit of keeping your head down, you will miss a lot in the woods this way. Moose actually do have really good eye sight (I was spotted by a group of three that I saw at the same time at a distance of well over 300 yards) their hearing is even better, so be quite be patient and you will see something. Also as you walk through the woods you may come across an area that the trees are rubbed up. Keep an eye out because when you see one you will see more. Deer do this as well, but a deer will not typically rub a tree that is larger than 3" in diameter, moose will go much larger than that and the rubs will be higher than 3' off the ground, deer are typically 1'-4' off the ground.

Moose tracks are easy to tell apart once you know what to look for. A calf track is obviously smaller, but calves will run with their mothers for almost 1 1/2 years before heading out, so these tracks typically come with another set, slightly larger. A cows track will be between 3-4" wide and up to 6" long, pointed toes, very clean looking track, same for a calf. A bull track will start in the same size range and can go up to 6" wide and 10" long (one we came across was wider and longer than a size twelve boot minus the heal of the boot, HUGE) but the toes will be slightly rounder than a cows. Moose have two forward toes and two dew points, when I say rounded I am talking about the absolute tips of the forward toes. Bulls will also be more splayed out than a cow, unless she has seen many moons.

The area that we were in was well away from any main road and secondary road for that matter. When you see a moose grazing up near a roadway they are in fact doing what FLL stated, enjoying the salt rich soils, water and plants. Moose are most active during the hours just prior to sunrise and starting around dusk, they are huge animals that put out quite a bit of heat, they lay low in the swamps under the canopy of the trees during the height of the day to keep from getting to hot.

Since I received this information on where to look for actual moose habitat I have increased my awareness of them by a leap. In 2009 alone I saw, 6 bulls, 15 cows and 10 calves. And yes I keep these records so that I can pass the information along to Fish and Game as apart of the monitoring of the herd in NH. All the areas I saw these animals in was from Unit G and J2, south and directly west of the Lakes Region. Your probability gets higher the further north you go, but get away from the main roads and you will have far better luck than the pavement pounders with their spotlights.

Anyway good luck, hope to see you out in forest.
Thank you very much for the insight on moose!

Check out these interesting threads:

The Moose is Loose! - A rescue story from and about our Forum Member, Misty Blue

This wonderful picture was taken by Bob Andrews of Anchor Marine
Moose Swims at Weirs Beach - Caption Needed

Moose Sighting

White Moose!

Moose Sightings

We had the pleasure of seeing many on our trip years ago to Attean Lake Lodge in Maine. The first morning we were out looking for them, we didn't spot a single one. Once we were told to just sit and watch the waters edge, it paid off. Moose look like a very big rock when they are grazing under water and because you only see their back. I just came to the realization that our getaway to this island retreat at Attean Lake was was the precursor to our becoming Lake Winnipesaukee islanders!

Moose swimming to Three Mile Island.
From the kerem Gallery

Taken on Route 28 south of Alton.
From the Mee-n-Mac Gallery

Click here for more pictures from the PhotoPost Gallery.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote