Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
Island-Ho

Post Winter Eagles

The following is from the monthly NH Fish & Game Newsletter.

"Winter is the best time to see the largest number of eagles in New Hampshire. Bald eagles from the frozen North have been showing up lately at their usual wintering areas along rivers and other open-water areas such as along the banks of the Merrimack River, Great Bay, and the Weirs Channel and Governor's Island at Lake Winnipesaukee. The presence of eagles at daytime perch areas at the water's edge may be easy to detect, but the nighttime roosts are usually well hidden (for protection from the wind) and up to several miles from the water. During the winter, eagles will feast upon slow swimming fish that they catch at the surface and just as readily upon fish left on the ice of the big lakes and ponds by ice fishermen. Wintering ducks, mostly mallards and blacks, which are congregated by the lack of open water during these months, are also a staple of the wintering eagles' diet."

Keep your eyes open and you may see an eagle around the lake.

Merry Christmas to all!
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 05:33 PM   #2
ApS

Smile It'd be worth the frostbite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island-Ho
During the winter, eagles will feast upon slow swimming fish that they catch at the surface and just as readily upon fish left on the ice of the big lakes and ponds by ice fishermen.
Ooooooooo.

If I had a bob house out there, I'd leave a fish on Winnipesaukee ice.

With my camera at the ready, I'd put the fish just a few feet outside the door. Position...say...Mt. Major in the background? And use "portrait" not "landscape") framing. Click!

What a shot that would be!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:59 PM   #3
Dave R

I see them often where 101/293 crosses the Merrimack River in Manchester and Bedford on my daily Winter commute.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
Lake Lady 6

Default Bald Eagles

I was looking out over the lake earlier in the week and saw an eagle flying along the West Alton shoreline heading north. What a sight. The eagle was flying low and the sky was a clear blue which made it outstanding. Keep looking but haven't seen another one this week.
Lake Lady 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:21 AM   #5
Quilt Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island-Ho
Keep your eyes open and you may see an eagle around the lake.
This morning around 9AM a large dark bird glided onto the ice between Treasure Island and the West Alton shoreline. I knew it was an eagle from it's large size. Using a spotting scope I saw it was a young three year old Bald Eagle. (Before you start, I checked what I saw against the pictures in the Sibley Guide To The Birds, page 127.) It was trying to get a frozen fish out of the ice. It pecked with it's beak and raked with it's impressive talons but did not make much progress. It stayed out there until shortly after 10AM so there was plenty of time to observe it's behavior. What a magnificent creature! I did note that it was a banded bird: left leg had a silver band and the right was a red band. Anyone know the meaning of the various colors?

When looking out over the lake, you never know what you'll see. Yesterday, off of the end of Treasure, I saw a loon swimming along the edge of the ice. I thought they had already left for their winter grounds. There is always something interesting out there!

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Quilt Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #6
lakershaker

Default Eagle on Varney Point Cam?

This morning when I first got to work, I looked as usual on the ice-in webcam page. The Varney Point cam had a picture of what I think was a bald eagle right in the middle! I meant to save the copy, but got sidetracked with actual work... Maybe someone else saw it, or can get an archive copy if the owner keeps them...
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:13 AM   #7
Quilt Lady

Default Once again . . .

Around 7 AM this morning, the crows were being rather loud outside the window. I looked out to see what they were up to and out on the newly formed (and thin) ice was a beautiful full grown Bald Eagle! It was enjoying a morning snack of frozen fish. This one had no bands on it's legs. I watched until it flew off. How wonderful to see such a creature!

I then went out and filled the feeders for the smaller birds and heard a loon out on the lake someplace. The sounds carry so well that it would be hard to tell where it was.

This weird weather has one good side, the magnificent creatures that usually leave us in the winter are still here!

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Quilt Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:19 AM   #8
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Link to Citizen Article

Link to Live Eagle Web Cam "....lets the public see firsthand how eagles care for their young and nurture them until they leave the nest, Goodale said.

"I can sit here in my office, and I can connect directly to the camera," Goodale said.

He can move the Web camera to adjust its view. The camera has infrared capability as well as a wiper to keep the lens clear of fog and debris."
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:30 PM   #9
Maddog7337@att.net

Default Merrimack River Eagles

Hi all,

I live right on the East bank of the Merrimack River and I often see eagles, both mature and immature. Once the winter progresses & the smaller ponds freeze up they are regulars here. I can often spot them by watching their "favorite" trees (kind of like my favorite "hot-spots" for salmon on Winnie! ) and once I do spot one, sure enough there's usually more around. Immature eagles often dive on other "juniors" who are in these spots (perhaps displaying a kind of dominance?)
This year I saw 3 immature birds at the same time (& an immature eagle is still a BIG bird but, it lacks the well-known white head of the adults.) My next-door neighbor (down stream) reports that the mature birds often frequent a tall pine on his land.
They sure are an awesome bird to see.

All the Best,
Maddog7337@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:36 PM   #10
Airwaves

Just to confirm what Maddog said, I've seen eagles along the Merrimack even as far south in Lowell. There was one fairly large eagle that was flying over my neighborhood (about a half mile from the river) and I watched him just float down to the river then follow it upstream. Quite a sight!

You should have seen my dog duck for cover when the eagle let out a scream (that's what got our attention to begin with) The dog thought she was about to die
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:40 AM   #11
ApS

Default Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves
"...You should have seen my dog duck for cover when the eagle let out a scream (that's what got our attention to begin with) The dog thought she was about to die"
I can certainly empathize with your dog's reaction: On sunny days, when the bald eagle's great shadow crosses my shadow, I jump!

More on its scream:
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:47 PM   #12
Maddog7337@att.net

Default Ducking Ducks

Airwaves,

One morning this winter I watched a mature eagle as he was flew across the Merrimack (from the Nashua side.) There were several Mallards floating down the middle of the river. When the ducks saw him overhead they tried to "duck down" by lowering their heads quickly as he passed!
First time I ever saw a duck, duck!

All the Best,
Maddog7337@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote