Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2020, 02:01 PM   #1
JCC

Default Sununu Interview Today

I don't think I see this posted already: https://www.nhpr.org/post/gov-sununu...rough#stream/0

This would be devastating for NH's economy. Lets just hope he is trying to scare everybody.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:09 PM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Lets just hope he is trying to scare everybody.
Well he's got my attention.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #3
Newbiesaukee

It seemed to me a reasonable discussion from a responsible public servant who has a real grasp of the issues. He also realistically admits he doesn’t have all the answers and is trying to get more data as well as expert opinion.

The reality IS scary.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Old 04-13-2020, 02:42 PM   #4
WinnisquamZ

Good read. Devastating for NH, I don’t believe so. I do understand his hesitation in opening NH with MA having their troubles. Which is a whole different conversation.
Most would have the same fears of MA residents coming north for recreation. He is in a tough spot. Personally, I open for business and protect those most at risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 04-13-2020, 03:00 PM   #5
gwhite13

Default gov. interview

Seems like a person in authority who DOES have a grasp on reality. Did skirt around the testing issue. All those machines from Abbott Labs amounted to a grand total of 20 confirmable tests. That ain't gonna cut it! Robust testing is the only way to reopen asap. Who wants their daughter/grandchild to wait on a table not knowing if one, two or all table guests are asymptomatic spreaders. would you take that chance? Not me.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2020, 03:11 PM   #6
FlyingScot

Wow, that's tough--I agree with the above. On Winniz's point--it sounds like he's saying that tourism is the last business that can open when we do start to loosen up. The worst things are crowds and people from outside NH. Sadly, that makes sense
Old 04-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #7
Not to Worry

Default I think this is the most honest answer

I think this is the most honest answer to what we are looking at for the foreseeable future. The world economy will be destroyed in ways we today cannot really imagine.

""This could be a long, hard road that we have ahead of us until we get to either an effective therapy or a vaccine. It’s hard for me to see a V-shaped recovery under that scenario."

That’s Neel Kashkari, the head of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, painting a rather gloomy picture in a CBS interview on Sunday morning of what lies ahead for the U.S. economy as the country continues to battle the coronavirus outbreak.

Kashkari, while acknowledging the downside of what a prolonged shutdown could mean for the economy, said the U.S., ‘barring some health-care miracle,’ is looking at an 18-month strategy of rolling shutdowns based on what has happened in other countries.

“We could have these waves of flareups, controls, flareups and controls until we actually get a therapy or a vaccine,” he said. “We need to find ways of getting the people who are healthy, who are at lower risk back to work and then providing the assistance to those who are most at risk, who are going to need to be quarantined or isolated for the foreseeable future.”

Looking ahead, Kashkari doesn’t envision a quick rebound for the U.S. economy, which has already endured more than 16 million job losses in the past three weeks.

“This could be a long, hard road that we have ahead of us until we get to either an effective therapy or a vaccine,” he said. “It’s hard for me to see a V-shaped recovery under that scenario.”