Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Merrymeeting

Default Road posting

Like the wait for ice-out, it appears that the annual rite of road postings has begun. For those of you who may not know what this means, it is when a town posts a road as only passable by vehicles under a certain weight until the frost leaves the ground under the road. The intent is to prevent heavy loads from breaking up the asphalt where voids have been created by frost.

I noticed this week that Kings Highway/Middleton Road is now posted (the right turn off of Rt 28 in Wolfeboro, where 28 turns left, and Weston Auto Body is straight ahead).

Does anyone know of a website where you can find current, reliable, information on road postings? I found this one but it only seems to list state highways.

http://tr.511nh.com/

As far as I know, postings are done on a town by town basis. I didn't find anything on the Wolfeboro town website.

Knowing this would be important to you if you are planning on getting a delivery of an appliance or something else similar that might come in a truck that would be restricted.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
jmen24

When road bans are posted they are almost always town wide and you can figure that any class 5 road is covered in the ban whether the posting is up or not. Andover posted Tuesday, my road does not recieve a physical posting but every entry road to it does. Class 4 and larger roads are usually not posted as these are considered trucking routes.

You can apply for a permit to travel a posted road with a large piece of equipment, its not a big deal and if you are making more than one trip (such as a site work contractor prepping a lot, then it only requires a phone call prior to entering the road to whomever is in control for your town (admin or road agent).

Put a call into your town to determine if they have set the bans (road agent will always be the first to know), that is the only reliable source that I know of as most towns are not online and even more don't update more than once a year, if that.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
When road bans are posted they are almost always town wide and you can figure that any class 5 road is covered in the ban whether the posting is up or not. Andover posted Tuesday, my road does not recieve a physical posting but every entry road to it does. Class 4 and larger roads are usually not posted as these are considered trucking routes.

You can apply for a permit to travel a posted road with a large piece of equipment, its not a big deal and if you are making more than one trip (such as a site work contractor prepping a lot, then it only requires a phone call prior to entering the road to whomever is in control for your town (admin or road agent).

Put a call into your town to determine if they have set the bans (road agent will always be the first to know), that is the only reliable source that I know of as most towns are not online and even more don't update more than once a year, if that.

It depends on the town if they will allow you to travel over a posted road or not, especially repeatedly. A lot of times, a call to the road agent will allow you to travel the road early in the morning before it thaws but not after.

It has been a tremendous problem to truckers in the past. Ask any of them in Wolfeboro.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
jmen24

You are right Tis, some towns can be difficult to work with, but they cannot create a hardship preventing you from earning a living. There is always some give and take and I am not implying that 10 full truck loads a day is reasonable.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Jonas Pilot

If you lived on a road like Middleton Road and had to put up with the year round pot holes you wouldn't have much sympathy for those that do the most damage.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
If you lived on a road like Middleton Road and had to put up with the year round pot holes you wouldn't have much sympathy for those that do the most damage.
Curious who in this thread stated sympathy? They get potholes in Florida too, is that because of frost or lack of maintenance?

But anyway, lots of trucks up and down that road during frost season? You can request that your road be added to the posted list.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
You are right Tis, some towns can be difficult to work with, but they cannot create a hardship preventing you from earning a living. There is always some give and take and I am not implying that 10 full truck loads a day is reasonable.
What's this?
Old 03-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
jmen24

Quote:
What's this?
What's what, contractors are not allowed to earn a living?

Last edited by jmen24; 03-02-2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: frustration
Old 03-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
tis

Quote:
I don't mean to argue with you jmen, but they can and do prevent hardships for businesses that need roads to conduct their business.

Truckers pay a lot of money to register their trucks and a lot of money in diesel fuel to fix the roads and are told that a road is not available for them to use. Oil trucks, school busses, town vehicles and emergency vehicles are exempted.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
jmen24

This is paragraph V of chapter 231 section 191 of the NH DOT law book.

V. No vehicle or commercial enterprise serviced by such vehicle shall be exempt from such maximum weight limits because of prior highway use or existing use of abutting land; provided, however, that any owner of land or a commercial enterprise served by such highway, who demonstrates that such limits would entail practical difficulty or unnecessary hardship, and who complies with all conditions and regulations concerning bonding and restoration, shall be granted an exemption unless the exemption would be detrimental to public safety. For the purposes of this paragraph, "unnecessary hardship'' shall include any weight restriction which results in significant interference with a commercial enterprise or land use which existed prior to the posting of the weight restriction.

the Link http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...31/231-191.htm

Not looking to argue either Tis, as I hold your opinion in high regard, but I get paid a good salary to make sure things are done in compliance with local, state and federal guidelines in regard to the construction industry. This issue comes up often.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
tis

I am very familiar with that, I must have read it a hundred times in the past. But there are a lot of other RSA that towns use when they want to, to do what they want. A while ago I was very involved with a group of truckers in Wolfeboro called HAUL which stood for haulers against unfair limits. The town of Wolfeboro in particular was really awful at that time about allowing business to be done. We met with the Wolfeboro selectmen who eventually, after turnouts of huge groups of truckers, relaxed their posture. In fact, for a while they didn't post roads at all, but when Dave Ford came back to town he started posting again. He does allow a trip early in the morning though in most cases, but that really hurts people who need to make more than one trip a day. But you know the funny thing, for the years when they didn't post, the roads weren't any worse.

It also hurts the homeowners who need the trucks to come in and deliver.

Laconia was one of the more reasonable towns in allowing a trip, Alton was tough, Tuftonboro was tough,Meredith was the worst, Jackson was bad.

We went to many hearings in Concord trying to work something out so that businesses that involved would not be so hurt by this. At the last couple of meetings a lobbyist from Gilmanton ( if I remember right, he was with the Homebuilders Assn.) joined us and said that he really didn't know much about the road posting because he lived in Gilmanton and he didn't know of a problem there. He suggested a new law which most of us didn't like and were kind of disappointed with. It was kind of discouraging after we had spent around a year going to Concord. Anyway, the law which came about after our meetings said something like: a trucker has 15 days to request a hearing from a town to say why the road needs to be posted and basically if the town doesn't do it , the road can be used. I guess the best that could happen is the truckers could drive the towns crazy with hearings.

Maybe you are aware of all of this.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
jmen24 (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
jmen24

Great information Tis, I was aware of a few of your items but not all.

It always amazes me at how different, different areas of the state can be on the exact same issues. Over here, we deal with mostly the Lake Sunapee surrounding towns. The folks we deal with are more than happy to bend for the local contractors, mostly because we all give back in one way or the other.

I have had this conversation about road bans on the golf course with the Road Agent in NL more than once (we play in the same league) and he rarely posts roads, due to the mixing of evidence that frost is really the issue.

I always enjoy the guys that come into office that are out to make a name for themselves and grab an issue such as this. Instead of barking up the tree of the folks that are in a direct position to assist them with their jobs, they could be working together and keeping everyones dander down. Hiring your local site work contractors to help with road maintence helps keep the bottom line low and that always resonates with the folks that fund your accounts.

Sounds like the big lake is not a friendly area to try and conduct certain types of business.

Thanks for the lesson from a different perspective, one can never stop learning.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
Blue Thunder

Pretty much all of this banter is a moot point since there isn't any frost in the ground due to this nearly record setting mild winter and the towns should realize that. Posting roads this year is completely unnecessary with very few exceptions.

BT
Old 03-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #14
Jonas Pilot

"Pretty much all of this banter is a moot point since there isn't any frost in the ground due to this nearly record setting mild winter and the towns should realize that." Said bt.

You better double check your sources.

Last edited by Jonas Pilot; 03-03-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
Merrymeeting

Quote:
If you lived on a road like Middleton Road and had to put up with the year round pot holes
I do, and I do, and if your read to first part of this thread, it is the posting of Middleton Road that caused me to start this.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #16
Blue Thunder

Quote:
You better double check your sources.
Your point?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #17
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Pretty much all of this banter is a moot point since there isn't any frost in the ground due to this nearly record setting mild winter and the towns should realize that. Posting roads this year is completely unnecessary with very few exceptions.

BT
I agree with you. They post automatically because it has "always been done". And they post more roads than they need too. If a road is old like Middleton Road, they post it. If they do a new road, they post it anyway.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #18
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I agree with you. They post automatically because it has "always been done". And they post more roads than they need too. If a road is old like Middleton Road, they post it. If they do a new road, they post it anyway.
Agreed...the old "we've always done it this way" excuse. It's much the same as the winter parking bans that are put into place from Nov to April in the more urban cities and towns. In a winter such as this folks are forced to park off the street all winter long with no snow (until this week) or risk the police riding around writing parking tickets for upwards of $50.

BT
Old 03-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Mud season may be shorter this year, but we will have mud!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #20
Merrymeeting

New Durham started today.

http://www.newdurhamnh.us/Pages/NewD...CAEA7-000F8513