Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Area WebCAMs
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
Island Girl

Default The MountCam

Tomorrow (weather permitting) I will be doing the first test of a webcam on the Mount Washington. I will be on the 11:15-1:45 run from Wolfeboro, tomorrow (Friday 6-26-2008) with the cam used for Snake Eyes. The pictures on www.rattlesnakecam.com will be uploaded from the Mount... so when you go to view Snake Eyes you will see the MountCam.

Since this is a test... some of the pictures will be out of focus or just plain weird as I look to find the best settings.

Please email me at rattlesnakecam@comcast.net with suggestions, opinions, comments, Woo Hoo's, or whatever.

This will not be streaming video but stills uploaded every couple of minutes.

Enjoy as we add another ... very unique.... webcam to Lake Winnipesaukee!!

IG
Attached Images

....... Make Lemonade

Last edited by Island Girl; 06-28-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
SIKSUKR

Cool IG.Is this for a potential permanant cam on the Mount?Thanks for all your work IG.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
Diana

How cool is this!!!!
Do you know where the cam will be mounted? Facing front, back, to the side?
Thanks for everything you do so that we can feel like we are at our home away from home all day every day!
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
Island Girl

Default MountCam

Oh yes.... the Mount will have a permanent cam.. We are not quite sure where it will go...but on the front somewhere...

Any suggestions???

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 06-26-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
fatlazyless

Hey IG, that's an excellent idea for the Mount and should encourage more people to ride the Mount. Maybe finding a spot to mount the camera so it gives the viewer a feeling of actually being on the Mount could be good. Probably have to experiment a bit to find a camera position that works better.

So's the picture will be different as it moves around the lake. I bet you that after this is up & working for a month, people will say: Hey, why didn't we do this three years ago, it's a smooth move. ....good luck.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
Bear Islander

Good Luck! Its a great idea.

Will you be using EVDO for the connection?
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:32 PM   #7
CanisLupusArctos

This has been in the works since last year, when they asked me if I thought it was technologically possible. I said yes because I knew it was, but I didn't know how. Then they wanted to know how much a camera would cost. They were OK with the prices, so the problem of the winter then became "how to get a mobile broadband network on board." A laptop would've been easy because it can accept the USB antenna. But all the good network cameras (like Stardot Netcam) don't have a USB port. They need to plug into an internet outlet. I was surprised at how hard it was to find information on mobile broadband routers and networks, but I guess most people who use the service are only on laptops because of their portability.

Right around the time of the Shakedown Cruise I learned that IG was experimenting with mobile connectivity on Rattlesnake. I was so happy! She has brought those experiments to the MOUNT and erased my winter headaches. She rode around the lake on a recent cruise and tested the internet connectivity. This next step, the webcam test, is the most exciting yet!

Assuming all goes well, The final step is getting the cam itself. All along I've been encouraging them to go for the Netcam XL - seems to be the best scenic cam out there. They do want the capability to show the beauty of sunset-time so they can promote their evening cruises, and I think the Netcam XL's auto-iris lens would be good for that, as well as providing great scenic views in the daytime.

The cam will most likely be somewhere on or near the wheelhouse, since the owners have expressed interest in having the crew be able to rotate it in order to change the view. My only concern was lightning, but the captains seemed pretty cool about that when I asked them. They said the other electronics all survive lightning storms, so the camera would just be another thing on the wheelhouse roof, if that's where it ends up. Suggestions, anyone?

A time lapse of each cruise (past 3-hours, like the WeatherCam) is also a possibility and the owners seemed to like that idea. Thoughts anyone?

On behalf of many posts I've read here, I suggested that it be kept running in the winter as a Center Harbor cam, either looking out on the water or toward shore... but that's a minor detail right now. The main goal is to get it set up and see what the reception is.

If anyone has a better camera recommendation or any other suggestions that aren't controversial enough to slow down this process , speak up. IG's and my only goal is to help steer the MOUNT's people to the setup that best accomplishes their goals.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:05 AM   #8
Island Girl

Default Evdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Good Luck! Its a great idea.

Will you be using EVDO for the connection?
Yes, BI... EVDO. They bought the EVDO router and USB card last week and Snake Eyes has been testing it since last weekend. It works very very well.

The idea was not mine to do the webcam, but I jumped at the chance to be involved in the project!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 06-27-2008, 07:26 AM   #9
Island Girl

Default EVDO Routers

It is only recently that EVDO routers have been available and reliable. This means that a household with a Verizon or Sprint data card can now use a router to create a WiFi hotspot so other computers in the home can connect to the internet. (WiFi is the technology used to connect to the internet from airports, Starbucks, Borders, and your home wireless.)

I have been testing this router all last weekend and this weekend and it works like a charm!!

For the uninitiated... EVDO is the technology that allows a user to connect to the internet over the same networks that mobile phones use (cell phones). You need a special card to plug into your computer to make the connection. EVDO from Verizon came to Winnipesaukee last summer. Before that the technology was much slower, but still much better than dial-up. I have been using this technology for 6-7 years... and much appreciated the huge bump in speed last summer.

The Mount will not have a WiFi hotspot turned on as there is a monthly limit on internet usage. If you think that service would be useful please let us know. I have a season's pass to the Mount and work from home a couple of days a week.. I will be doing some of that on the Mount (I have my own EVDO connection in my laptop.) This could be a very cool thing to do... a bunch of us working from the Mount on weekdays..

Thanks to CLA for contacting me about the Mount's project... it has been great fun and we love bringing new webcams to the region!!!!

The owners of the Mount, CLA and I invite you to watch the cruise of the Mount today from about 11:15-2 ish... Thanks to paddler for the advice on camera exposure settings.

IG, who is sooo excited!!

....... Make Lemonade
Old 06-27-2008, 07:40 AM   #10
Orion

Default Sweet!

Excellent idea and efforts on this project. Should be a great addition to the web cams. Thanks!

BTW, it is possible to share out connections without an EVDO router. As long as one computer has an EVDO card, it can connection share to other computers. I've done that and it works nicely with both Mac and WinXP laptops.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #11
kjbathe

Default Tech Specs

Can you share the tech specs for the mobile setup (camera, router, card provider, etc...)

And it's kind of fun to see the test working!

Last edited by kjbathe; 06-27-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: The tree is gone and the test appears to be working
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #12
NHKathy

Woo Hoo !
I feel like I'm riding on the Mount!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
SIKSUKR

Great job you guys.This sounds like a fun project.just checked the Snake eyes Cam and the picture is beatufull!!Looks like we might be looking at Snake eyes homebase at Rattlesnake?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #14
jrc

OK this is great!

Now all I have to do is use the web browser on my blackberry. Then I can see myself on the lake from the Mount Washington. Of course, I will be able to see myself, seeing myself.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #15
Pineedles

Default Beautiful Pictures

I'll be tuning in for the Center Harbor visits on Monday. Can't wait.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #16
gtxrider

Default Blow the horn!

I see Wolfeboro!!! Please have the Captain TOOT the horn.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #17
Island Girl

Default Tech Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbathe View Post
Can you share the tech specs for the mobile setup (camera, router, card provider, etc...)

And it's kind of fun to see the test working!
The camera is my Snake Eyes camera, A StartDot NetCam XL 3MP. The networking equipment was purchased at the 3Gstore on the web. They have the best support ever. We got a Cradlepoint CTR500 EVDO router and a Verizon Verizon UM150 and a Verizon Broadband contract.

The Mount will decide on a camera soon.. then we can install the equipment permanently.

My laptop was misbehaving today and kept dropping the connection to the camera that I needed to adjust the focus and other parameters. That is why some of the pictures were less than desirable. (I have been having this problem and it is unrelated to the above networking equipment)

The Cradlepoint routers are the best out there and have the best support from the vendor so far. EVDO routers are fairly new to the networking industry.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 06-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #18
CanisLupusArctos

Default You helped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Excellent idea and efforts on this project. Should be a great addition to the web cams. Thanks!

BTW, it is possible to share out connections without an EVDO router. As long as one computer has an EVDO card, it can connection share to other computers. I've done that and it works nicely with both Mac and WinXP laptops.
In the late winter, you helped with this project without knowing it. I was still trying to figure out what we needed to get internet on board, when you made a post about your mobile setup. I PM'd you about it, but at that time I was still keeping quiet about the MOUNTcam.

The information you provided focused my search in such a way that IG's internet experiments caught my eye. And here we are... it works!

This is so exciting!

(Give yourself a pat on the back)
Old 06-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #19
Island Girl

Default The MountCam and the Mount

I have been having a great time with this project, but also discovered something.... what fun it is to ride the Mount.

I had ridden the Mount a couple of times prior to this year, but just thought of it as something to do every couple of years or so. I have changed my tune...

If you have a season's pass you can just walk on to any day trip and the Wednesday 6pm one. Then you take a book, computer, board game... or whatever your entertainment is and find a place to sit and play while you ride the lake.

My last two rides I was working on this project and did indeed sit and work with my laptop. It occured to me that if enough people did this we could pop on from time to time and play cards or scrabble and just enjoy an afternoon or early evening. Three trips pays for the pass.

So if anyone gets a pass and wants to go riding with me... let me know!!!!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 06-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #20
Hermit Cover

Smile Great idea, IG !

What a great plan for another webcam. I've got the cam wiring already to go...front and back....at the "almost finished" Hermit Cove log cabin....wanna do some consulting??
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #21
Island Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Cover View Post
What a great plan for another webcam. I've got the cam wiring already to go...front and back....at the "almost finished" Hermit Cove log cabin....wanna do some consulting??
Love to......

....... Make Lemonade
Old 06-28-2008, 07:58 AM   #22
Island Girl

Default For your viewing pleasure

Snake Eyes will be back in operation shortly. In case you missed the great pictures from the MountCam test on Friday, June 27, 2008 you can see them here.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 06-28-2008, 08:37 AM   #23
fatlazyless

Default ....yum!

Hey Island Girl, any chance the Mount can set up a snackbar cam? Visions of double cheeseburgers, french fries, and rolling along across the choppy water on the broads......yum!
Old 06-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #24
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Thumbs up Mount-cam = Wonderful

What a great idea. I watched some of the test phase yesterday and see some of the images today - Each time I have a BIG smile on my face. The coordination and cooperation involved produced some awesome results.

Will the camera point to a certain person's house over by FL Light #3?

Thank you to all involved. This will be a great addition to the cams.

this boater likes web cams

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #25
twoplustwo

Thumbs up very cool!

Exciting stuff, thanks for all of your hard work!

I telecommute, I wonder if I can take a season pass to the Mount as part of my home office deductions
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #26
trfour

Smile

Dear IG,

Your creative genius is so wonderful! Kudos to you, and may I personally thank each and every
Web-Cam pioneer on this very special Website.

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #27
CanisLupusArctos

Default interesting ideas

That's an interesting idea, twoplustwo. I'm sure if the MOUNT's people thought there was enough demand, they'd probably create an area conducive to working, reading, etc.... like a cafe. As telecommuters like yourself become more numerous thanks to higher gas prices and growing desire for people to avoid the office just because they can, an onboard cafe might lure more ridership from people who'd rather get their work done with an ever-changing view of the lake. My friends who like to work in the sidewalk cafe scene say it's for the same reason - ever changing crowd, people passing, etc. But I'm not an employee of the company, just one of the Forum webcam fans helping them set up their own. If this idea has sparked your interest, try doing some work on board and if you like it, start spreading the idea. It could result in increased ridership for the ship.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #28
twoplustwo

Default I might try it

I think the view from the Mount is way more impressive than what my home office, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 kids give me. Wonder if they'd miss me? Actually, with one kid at daycare p/t and one working part of the time, I could plan a couple of escape days each week and tap away at the keyboard while floating around. I might have to pack up my notebook and try it out.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #29
EricP

I've actually used my cell phone connected to my laptop to watch a Sox game on my Slingbox when I was in an area that had no wifi available but had a decent cell signal. I love the evdo capability.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #30
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up The MountCam

The MountCam is very exciting news! We’ve been wanting something like this for years.

Very fun project IG! You are going to be our local webcam expert before long. Could this be a side business for you?

Good luck! I’ll be looking for you when The Mount cruises by.

RG
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #31
fatlazyless

Default tour the Mount tonite at 1am

Channel 11, NH Public Television is showing a tour of the Mount Washington cruise ship tonight at 1am, by www.roadsidestories.net.

You get close up views of cheeseburgers sizzling away on the grill for a couple minutes, no fool'n.

The Mount's snackbar, the Fantail Lounge, is always open for business, and is located in the stern on the main deck with a 180 degree panorama of large windows surrounding it. A FantailLoungeCam could capture: 1. what's cook'n on the grlll, up close, 2. the passenger clientel at the counter watching their grill'n on the grill, and, 3. Lake Winnipesaukee passing across the sparkling waters through the windows. That's three different layers of interest combined onto one fixed photo, web cam, that snaps a new photo every ten minutes.

The interior design of the Fantail Lounge is like straight off a World War II era, carraige trade, excursion boat and shows real good in photos. The interior of the ship has lots of visual appeal and should show very well on a still shot.

Destined to be a Mount Washington cruise boat, advertising success!

Talk about the increase in passengers that a cheeseburger cam would cook up! Positioned to show all the grilling action, sandwiched together with the passing lake view, and the snackbar clientel ..... a webcam destined to a million hits.....easy!

If you watch the show tonight at 1am, you will see what I mean!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-19-2008 at 07:59 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #32
CanisLupusArctos

Default Beta version up and running

As of yesterday, the beta version of the MountCam is up and running. The camera has been mounted on the port forward corner of the wheelhouse and looks straight ahead, with the point of the bow in the right side of the frame. If you stand there, you'll be in it.

We took a cruise yesterday from Weirs to Wolfeborough during which one of the crew members (Bob Reed) and I got up on the wheelhouse to make adjustments to focus, aperture, and image composition. That was done by the time we got to Wolfeborough. (Trivia: The captain said I was the first non-crew member to ride up there since the Secret Service for Pres. Bush Sr... Felt kind of like the summer version of "The Polar Express" where the kid gets up on the roof of the train.)

On the return cruise, we started ironing out problems with the internet connection. One of the ship's owners called Stardot on cell phone to ask why it wasn't uploading so often as it should. We needed to increase the timeout settings so it wouldn't time out and quit if the signal had hiccups (which it does.) Stardot was GREAT. A+++ for tech support. They speak English, with a California accent, because they are in California and not India. And they care about their product.

Stardot reccomends we get an exterior antenna for the wireless broadband router. It would be yet another antenna on the roof of the wheelhouse but well worth it. The antenna in there now is tiny, about 6 inches tall.

Now the camera is set to come on at 9 a.m. when the ship is powered up for the day, and goes off at 9 p.m. We're trying an image refresh rate of once per minute and see how that goes. When the signal is good, it does it. When it's not, it can be 10 minutes between images. At dock, interference has been an issue, sometimes resulting in up to 40 minutes between images. It actually runs better out on the lake. They said they have had a lot of interference with radios, and EMFs from a million arcade games and other stuff at Weirs Dock and have had to relocate antennas as a result (the whole place is an FCC nightmare,) so this probably won't be updating a lot from Weirs.

Island Girl will be working on improving the network connection.

If that can be significantly improved, we may try the archive of past images. Until then, that feature has been disabled because it makes the automated FTP sessions take longer, which can result in delays between images when connection isn't great.

The latest image is now at www.cruisenh.com/webcam.html. This may change as their webmaster figures out what he's going to do with the presentation of the image.

Here is a teaser:
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2008, 07:19 AM   #33
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
.......Stardot reccomends we get an exterior antenna for the wireless broadband router.....
A word to the wise reguarding mouting an antenna to the wheelhouse roof. Years ago I mounted the low band LRMFA radio to that roof. The plate steel the plate steel is quite thick (bring a lot of extra bits)
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #34
idigtractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
A word to the wise reguarding mouting an antenna to the wheelhouse roof. Years ago I mounted the low band LRMFA radio to that roof. The plate steel the plate steel is quite thick (bring a lot of extra bits)
Just use a magnetic mounted antenna with external wire with stick on ty-wrap holders.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #35
GWC...

It would be great to have the MountCam added to the Winnipesaukee Watch.

P.S.- Great location of the webcam...
Old 07-28-2008, 06:26 AM   #36
fatlazyless

The hull of the Mount was built in the 1880's and is made of some type of iron, not steel, so probably it is not very magnetic. Iron and stainless steel are non ferrous and have varying degree of magnetic attraction. Ever place a magnet on a cast iron fry pan?
Old 07-28-2008, 07:12 AM   #37
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
The hull of the Mount was built in the 1880's and is made of some type of iron, not steel, so probably it is not very magnetic. Iron and stainless steel are non ferrous and have varying degree of magnetic attraction. Ever place a magnet on a cast iron fry pan?
Less, ferrous means iron, certain types of stainless steel are non-magnetic, others are magnetic. Main ingredient in steel, iron. Your fry pan may be cast aluminum. Your post contains "irony".
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #38
idigtractors

Quote:
How true the above statement is, but my comment was made as a suggestion and no I have no idea if a magnetic will stick to it. I just made the comment as the person said that it was real tough steel to cut through. I went back and checked the thread that commented on the metal/steel and he made mention to thick plate steel.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #39
Bear Islander

Is there an image resizing problem with the MountCam? It looks like the camera is set to 1280 x 960 but they are appearing as 800 x 608 resolution.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #40
CanisLupusArctos

To those who've been asking, I saw a magnetic mount antenna up on the wheelhouse roof already, so, it would work.

The image sizing is the result of the webmaster resizing the image. He seems to have made a new page where it appears full-size: www.cruisenh.com/mountcam.html. All these are still temporary links until they say otherwise, and this is still beta version only while various minor "issues" are being smoothed out.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #41
fatlazyless

I still favor a 'cheeseburger cam' coming to you 'live' from The Mount's Fantail Grill.

Just picture this, a cheeseburger gett'n grilled on the grill, up front, a waiting customer nearby,, and the passing window scenery of Lake Winnipesaukee in the background. Combining people, food, and scenery could be a winning webcam format for the Mount Washington.

Possibly, as a secondary or part time, backup, webcam?
Old 07-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #42
wifi

Quote:
I still favor a 'cheeseburger cam' ..... food .... could be a winning webcam format for the Mount Washington....
What about the angry dieters drooling at the screen ??
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:22 PM   #43
Skip

Smile antenna donation

Quote:
To those who've been asking, I saw a magnetic mount antenna up on the wheelhouse roof already, so, it would work.

The image sizing is the result of the webmaster resizing the image. He seems to have made a new page where it appears full-size: www.cruisenh.com/mountcam.html. All these are still temporary links until they say otherwise, and this is still beta version only while various minor "issues" are being smoothed out.
If someone wants to PM me offline, I would be willing to donate an antenna, mounting hardware and cable....just need to know some details on the router/wireless card setup for the appropriate connectors.

Anyways, it would be good publicity for the new side business I launched a few months ago, as I plan to spread into the Lakes region next year.

Let me know, I have a variety of antenna options depending on the frequency range we are talking about....I could also have my arm twisted to perform the installation!

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
Sunbeam lodge (03-06-2009)
Old 07-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #44
Island Girl

Default When permission is granted....

The Mount Cam is still a work in progress.. we still have connectivity issues and the image needs its horizon fixed.. I will do that this week. The webmaster is working on the pages. Once all the components are ready, I will ask permission to put the image on my pages.

In the meantime... keep watching... and adding your comments.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 07-28-2008, 09:24 PM   #45
nj2nh

Default Looks Fabulous!

I just happened upon this thread. I think it deserves a message on the main forum so that everyone will know about it.

I've added it to my favorites list right up with the Alton Bay webcam, the Black Cat Island Cam, the Winnipesaukee CaM and, of course, the Winnipesaukkee Forum!

nj2nh

Last edited by nj2nh; 07-29-2008 at 11:24 AM.
nj2nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #46
NHKathy

Default Great new view!

Great new view from the Mount's Cam! The Mount is in Centre Harbor for the winter and it shows the docks and the driveway down and rt 25 in the background. Anyone know if the cam be here for the whole winter?
Old 11-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #47
Island Girl

Default Yup

The plan is to have the cam up all winter. I am going to move it a bit to see more of the ice... we must watch ice-in and ice-out!!! And see the bob houses go in and out.

I will be experimenting soon with the view... stay tuned!!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Island Girl For This Useful Post:
Blue Thunder (11-04-2008), ILoveWinnipesaukee (11-01-2008), kaj (11-03-2008), NHKathy (11-02-2008), Orion (11-02-2008), Pineedles (11-02-2008), Resident 2B (11-02-2008), RI Swamp Yankee (12-09-2008), RLW (11-01-2008), robmac (01-07-2009), SIKSUKR (11-03-2008), trfour (11-10-2008)
Old 11-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #48
NHKathy

Thats great! Can't wait!
Old 12-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #49
CanisLupusArctos

I think it's great to see the snow on the parking lot and docks - when I am away it tells me what kind of weather awaits my trip home. Or when I am home it tells me what the roads in town look like - "Should I even bother leaving the house" is always a question.

And then, I also want to see the condition of the ice in the bay, like everyone else.

What we really need, if the ship's mobile bandwidth can support it, is a stern cam and a bow cam. Or perhaps we all make donations and buy the company a land-based cam for use at the Center Harbor facility, aiming out over the water.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:30 PM   #50
trfour

Default A Great Idea....

Quote:
I think it's great to see the snow on the parking lot and docks - when I am away it tells me what kind of weather awaits my trip home. Or when I am home it tells me what the roads in town look like - "Should I even bother leaving the house" is always a question.

And then, I also want to see the condition of the ice in the bay, like everyone else.

What we really need, if the ship's mobile bandwidth can support it, is a stern cam and a bow cam. Or perhaps we all make donations and buy the company a land-based cam for use at the Center Harbor facility, aiming out over the water.
What we really need, if the ship's mobile bandwidth can support it, is a stern cam and a bow cam. Or perhaps we all make donations and buy the company a land-based cam for use at the Center Harbor facility, aiming out over the water.[/quote]

I'll be getting a raise first of the year, and I'd be more than willing to pitch
in for an extra cam setup.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #51
NHKathy

I'm missing the Mount Cam!
Can't get my daily "fix" of Center Harbor...
Hopefully it's OK
Old 01-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #52
Smitty1

Hi Island Girl

Any chance to get the web cam pointed at the Lake? There is alot of activity out there now that would be fun to see.

Thanks!

Smitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
The plan is to have the cam up all winter. I am going to move it a bit to see more of the ice... we must watch ice-in and ice-out!!! And see the bob houses go in and out.

I will be experimenting soon with the view... stay tuned!!

IG
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #53
Island Girl

Default Not this year

Sorry ... I have been laid up all winter... can't get there to help do it..
what you see is what you get.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #54
CanisLupusArctos

I aimed it when it was first installed... I could re-aim it for winter. Let me know.

Trfour, what you should do (and what we all should do) is just email the company individually - then they will have a better idea of how many people are watching. Anyone who is willing to donate to the cause of a second cam for Center Harbor's bay, tell them.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #55
Don

Quote:
I aimed it when it was first installed... I could re-aim it for winter.
As just another webcam watcher I would vote to leave the Mount Cam pointed as it is now. We have lots of views of the ice. This is one of the only existing CAMs that gives us a good view of the conditions on land. Today most of the lake CAMs showed a white out while the Mount Cam gave a clear picture of the road conditions and snow intensity since Center Harbor is the backdrop.

The biggest need now would seem to be a view of Meredith Bay. That should be fairly easy from one of the hotels since they all already have high-speed Internet service. Chase House or Mill Falls might be the best choices for two reasons: A view of the lake from Bay Point would often be blinded by the sun and the view from Chase House or Mill Falls could also show some land including the town docks.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #56
trfour

Default CLA and Don....

Yes and Yes. I think you are Right On. I plan on two other donations this year, to date, the new Weirs cam is one, and being a huge weathernut makes at least two.... and then there are more....

Old 01-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #57
RI Swamp Yankee

How about getting 50 people to turn the boat?

Actually, I do like the view of the town. It was real pretty today with the bright sun and the clouds in the blue sky. I have, over time, been watching the snow pile up on the docks.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #58
CanisLupusArctos

I agree with anyone saying that's a nice view of the town, and I do use it to see what the road conditions look like. I offered to contact the company about re-aiming it since it seemed like that's what IG was hoping to do (but unable?).
Old 03-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #59
RI Swamp Yankee

Sadly, The MountCam is stuck at February 10.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #60
WeirsBeachBoater

It's back up and running
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #61
Lakewinn1

Post The Mountcam

Thanks for your efforts....
Lakewinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #62
RI Swamp Yankee

Nice to see it up again even if it was a grey day up there. Thanks to whoever gave it a nudge or restart, was that your work WeirsBeachBoater?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #63
WeirsBeachBoater

I can't take the credit, I just happened upon someone who had 1st hand knowledge it was fixed the other day.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote