Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-15-2004, 03:38 PM   #1
glennsteely

Default Grant, Tell Me What You Know.......

I have heard many different things about the depth of the lake, including Eagle Island having a 300 + depth in a crack heading towards Weirs....is that true ?
If so, why isnt it noted on any of the maps or charts ? I am thinking it is fiction.....
Old 11-15-2004, 04:54 PM   #2
Grant

Default Depth

This is really a question for Bizer or the good folks from Dive Winnipesaukee.

I've heard all sorts of things about "holes" off of Rattlesnake Island, etc., none of which were relayed by sources anyone would consider bulletproof.

But I'll sure as heck never have any first-hand knowledge, since I've never gone past 115' feet anywhere, and only to about 75-80 in Winnipesaukee (which, BTW, is darn dark, murky and cold)...

Conventional wisdom (no doubt backed by sonar) says that the deepest point is 187 feet -- in the Broads, kinda northeast of Rattlesnake. The average for the entire Lake is about 43 feet. Personally, I've found the best diving to be between 20 and 45 feet...but there's so much more to see, and so little time!!!
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:53 AM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Interesting Excerpt - "Deep Holes"

Here is an interesting excerpt from Three Centuries On Winnipesaukee in regards to deep holes in the lake. I recall some other deep holes referenced in another book too. If I can locate it, I’ll post it.

I have mentioned traveling down the east shore of Rattlesnake Island in a small boat. It is possible to come quite close to shore there, as the water runs off, but a few feet from the island, into some of the deepest spots in the lake. I recall coming up around the southeast point of Rattlesnake in Captain Charles E. Tuttle’s good boat “Reliance,” and having Captain Tuttle say, “There’s 154 feet of water under you now.” Inquiry disclosed that he had provided the boat for sounding operations in 1910, during the administration of Henry B. Quinby as Governor of New Hampshire. He stated that the greatest depth found then was 168 feet, at a point a few hundred feet southeast of the lower end of Rattlesnake Island. The deepest “hole” I know of in Winnipesaukee is in the Weirs Bay, a few hundred feet northwest of Eagle Island. This location was the scene of a drowning accident some years ago, in which a diver was employed to locate the body of the victim. The diver went down nearly 300 feet, and described the lake bottom as containing a chasm with sheer ledges on either side. The edge of these ledges was about 70 feet under water, and the chasm was quite narrow with “shelves” of ledge extending out from the sides. My father has told me of soundings made there to a depth of over 320 feet. Do you think I’m trying to pull a “fast one”? Try line measurements yourself some calm day, and when your lead finds bottom at 80 feet, move your boat and line around a few feet and watch the lead drop another 50 or 75 feet when it, apparently, slips from one of the “shelves” that the diver described.
Depths of from 35 to 90 feet are most frequently found. Deep water perch and shad are usually caught in from 50 to 70 feet of water. Two of the boat race course buoys in Weirs Bay are in 68 feet. Some of the 1910 soundings are interesting. Depths of from 105 to 108 feet are found southeast of Steamboat Island towards Governor’s. East of Diamond Island, out into “The Broads” the water averages from 90 to 100 feet. If you have gone past Lakeshore Park in a boat you know that its fine sand beach extends a long way out into the lake. Indeed, the lake bottom is sandy in composition for several hundred feet, and the depth not more than 18 feet. Suddenly, though, the sand ends with an abrupt drop into deep water. At an average depth of 100 feet this “hole” continues for a quarter of a mile. Then the lake become more shallow at “The Broads” are reached with about 70 feet the maximum.
In looking at the water from the surface impressions of great depth are frequently given. This is particularly true of the northeast end of the lake from Melvin Bay on into Greene’s Basin and Lee’s Mills. The water there is very “black.” And I had always supposed it to be very deep until Captain Tuttle informed me that from Chase’s Point to Lee’s Mills, in the main steamboat channel, the water depth did not exceed 24 feet, nor was it less than 21 feet. This statement was substantiated by Charles E. George of Moultonboro, who navigates out of Lee’s Mills and know every inch of the beautiful shoreline in that section of the lake.
These deep spots in the lake fascinate me. I’d like to spend days sounding water depths, and scraping up samples of the lake bottom and deep water vegetation from all parts of Winnipesaukee. Or, better still, I try to picture what marvels photography could show from a bell or bathysphere. I’m almost certain that unimagined wonders and unanswerable riddles are buried forever beneath Winnipesaukee’s blue surface.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 06:32 PM   #4
warren

Default sounds like a great new dive

that sounds like it would be fun to explore in that area to see what the bottom contours are like. i think ill wait till the water warms op a bit. thanks for the info. warren
warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 09:49 PM   #5
Grant

Default Hmmmmmmm.....

I am skeptical re: the 300 foot dive described above. That kind of depth is not for the recreational diver. And visibility in Winnipesaukee is SEVERELY limited at anything below, say, 80 feet (depending on location and other factors). 100+ feet in Winnipesaukee is dark, dark, dark. 300 feet? That's a SERIOUS deco dive, requiring multi-staged decompression -- not a dive that simply "happens," but one that is planned for (carefully). It's more likely in the north Atlantic, among the hard-core wreck diving crowd. Not a lot of that going on on Winnipesaukee. Just an observation.

That being said, I wouldn't doubt holes going way-deep, but I doubt anyone has penetrated them.

Again, this is a question better suited to folks like Winn Diver, and the professionals from Dive Winnipesaukee and Fathom Divers.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2004, 06:13 AM   #6
glennsteely

I was wondering how true it was, I have been all over there in my Grandfathers boat and never got a deep hit on his depth finder.......did you get an e-mail from me? I dont know if I did it right.....GS
Old 11-19-2004, 08:52 AM   #7
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default I can tell you where the deep spot is....

I didn’t reply to this tread earlier because it was addressed to Grant. But, I can tell you what’s down there.

The deepest part of the lake is just north of Rattlesnake Island at around 213 feet. My dive buddies and I have dove the surrounding areas but never really wanted to do the depths for a number of reasons: it’s dark, cold, ten feet of silt (mud) and nothing to see there.

Fifteen years ago three of my dive buddies and I set out to explore the mysterious deep hole. It was the middle of August at high noon when we anchored the dive boat “Lady Go Diva” just off the Island in 140 feet of water. It was a one of those calm, crystal clear days with temps near 80 degrees. I knew we in for a hard dive when I had plaid out nearly all of the 300’ anchor line we had with us. With the boat secure we began the suit-up and equipment checkout, one would have though we were preparing for a dive in the Artic. In fact that was exactly what we were doing with the bottom temperatures around low forties, this was going to be an ice dive. The regulators drawing that much air off the tanks so fast they gets so cold they actually freeze the water around them and become an ice ball. By the time I got my drysuit on I was already over heated and near exhaustion and still didn’t ever have my gear on yet.

Once everyone was ready we made our way to the decent line, grouped together by twos, we dump the air in our BCs and slipped below the surface. Somewhere around the 30-foot mark we could no longer see the surface, we were in an eerie green world as we slowly descended the line. Without the line slipping through our fingers we would have no way of knowing how fast were descending, if at all, as the ride grew ever darker until it faded to jet-black. When the line stopped moving through my fingers I assumed we had reached the bottom and switched on my hi-powered dive light tethered to my wrist. Even though I had switched on the beam it was still pitch black and I though the light had broken, until I brought it directly to my face shield and could only see the dimmest speck of light. This is a light that you only turn on for seconds out side the water as it so intense it will melt the lens. Once I had my bearings I figured we had settled into the bottom silt and needed to ascend above it. Hovering just above the silt we explored to bottom as we descended even deeper to 160 feet. Our dive master was right about the bottom temperature; I was freezing and kept adding air to my suit to fluff up the insulation. I have the advantage of not having a thermometer on my dive consul, but I just know it’s dam cold down there.

Having just 9 minutes of precious bottom time to remain with in the No Decompression Limits, it seemed more like an hour, I was that unconformable there and none to soon we began our long ascent back to the surface. Once back on the dive boat we reviewed our mission. The total dive time 38 minutes, 120 CF of air consumed, maximum depth 162 ft. water temp 44 degrees, things seen: nothing… The mission was to train for technical dives and in the course of things check out the deep hole on the lake. At least we can say we been there and we know we don’t ever want to go back again.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 09:43 AM   #8
Grant

Default Deep, dark, cold

Thanks for sharing -- very cool story.

You know, one of the most amazing things about diving is what a difference fresh vs. salt and warm vs. cold water can make. Take, for example, 80-100 feet in a northeastern Lake vs. 100 feet in tropical water, with perfect visibility, no thermocline, and a 3mm suit.

Personally, I really like the cold, dark, murky stuff. I'm weird.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:03 PM   #9
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default You have that right...

The difference between 50 feet and 150 feet in salt water is what it says on your depth gage. In fresh water it a whole other world in the same range.

To date I have done over 4000 to total lfetime dives and have worn out more equipment than most divers will ever see. When I was a young diver my dive buddy Don and I belonged to the New England Aquarium Dive club. Don and I use to marvel at the appalling condition of the equipment the more veteran divers would wear. One day while doing a research dive on Stelwagon Banks, I asked one of the more veteran divers why didn't he use better equipment... His reply was: "Why sonny this equipment is less that a year old... when you get to do as many dives as I do in year you'll know what I mean." I thought to myself " if you only knew just how many dives I actually do you would be impressed". Later that year I was at a dive symposium and this old man was the featured speaker and was honored by the Boston Sea Rovers. He was given a plaque denoting his lifetime achievements of 10 thousand dives and the worlds most premiere underwater filmmaker. All could say was, "if only I had only known..." As he accepted his prize he look right at me a winked. He was Stan Waterman.

I look back on those days and think of the great divers I had the pleasure of diving with and wish I could be half as good or have the strength to do half as many dives.

Today, I find myself doing fewer, less adventurous dives... The cold water dives and technoal dives are a thing of the past. Some days I wish I was back exploring the depths of the lake instead of doing mooring hell. But, what the hey, it keeps me diving and every once in a while I sneak off and get a pleasure dive or two in. Who knows, I may just find that rare bottle that I don't already have...

Last edited by Winnipesaukee Divers; 11-19-2004 at 08:07 PM.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:19 AM   #10
Grant

Default Amen

Sign me up for some leisurely bottle hunting. Love to do some of that some time with you.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:29 PM   #11
warren

Default my finest fresh water deep dive

lake willohby {spelling} in northern vermont, mid july, smaller lake but clear and 350 feet deepin the center. i have never seen schools of fish in fresh water like this. its really worth the weekend getaway. bring tanks! warren
Old 11-22-2004, 07:17 AM   #12
Grant

Default VT Bubbles...

Thanks for the tip!

Dan Hole Pond, in the Lakes Region of NH supposedly goes quite deep as well. Don't know what the viz is like, though.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:41 PM   #13
warren

Default home town

hey grant, i am originaly from huntingdon valleybut have been here since 73. did you go to abington? i have a few friends there. warren
Old 11-22-2004, 05:01 PM   #14
Grant

Default Abington

No, actually, I went to neighboring Springfield (Montco), and graduated in '79, but my kids all go to Abington (9th, 8th, 8th & 3rd grades). I drive through Huntington Valley every day. Small world.

Get this -- as we were ascending Chocorua this summer, a girl passed me with an "Abington Lacrosse Club" sweatshirt. Then a man with the same "ALC" hat that I own. We stopped them, and it turns out that they live about 1/4 mile from us at home, and have a place in Center Harbor (I think).
Old 11-22-2004, 10:26 PM   #15
warren

Default small world

it can be a small world sometimes. class of 73 lower moreland, went to new england college in henniker nh. and never left. i live in concord now and keep a boat on the lake at west alton marina. i have been diving fresh and salt water around new england for 22 years. lots on champlain but its sad to see what the zebra mussells have done up there. warren